The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Westerns (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Westerns
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted May 09, 2015 05:19 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I thought I'd seem 'em all and stumbled across one today called Appaloosa and thought it was great !

If ya'll get a chance check it out.

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted May 09, 2015 05:32 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
With Ed Harris? Yeah good movie
Posts: 1626 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted May 09, 2015 05:34 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Yep that's the one Chad.
TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted May 09, 2015 07:36 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I watched it too, I thought it was cool that Everrett (Viggo Morrison) used an 8 gauge.
Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 09, 2015 08:17 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but have you ever seen Waterhole Number Three ???

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7588 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2015 02:29 AM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
I just watched the Appaloosa trailer. Will have to check out the movie.
Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2015 05:00 AM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
Any idea why the indians prized appaloosa horses? First off, it was the only horse slow enough they could catch while they were afoot. Secondly, it made sure they were damn sure good and mad by the time they rode one to the battle!

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2015 05:02 AM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
Crossfire Trail is a pretty good one as far as westerns go.

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2015 07:26 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, they don't need snowshoes, their hooves are the size of a frying pan.

I have always thought The Searchers one of the best westerns. Of course, you have to suspend disbelief and imagine that the Navajo Reservation is "Texas".

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31490 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
tedo
Member # 4320

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2015 08:16 AM      Profile for tedo   Email tedo         Edit/Delete Post 
Culpeper Cattle Company is worth checking out.
Posts: 73 | From: S.E. Arizona | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2015 08:39 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Another good one worth watching is Tom Horn with Steve Queen.
Posts: 1626 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2015 09:38 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, I think the searchers was one of John Wayne's best if not the best ?

I watched one about a month ago for the 1st time. It was good, had Lee Marvin in it.

They went into Mexico to rescue a gal who was being held for ransom. The title escapes me now ?

edit: The Professionals.

edit: Oh yeah can't forget. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, another classic !

[ May 10, 2015, 09:46 AM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

trapper2
Member # 3651

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2015 10:13 AM      Profile for trapper2           Edit/Delete Post 
watched the man who shot liberty valance just the other night.

cal, my 8 yr old likes cross fire trails, and all the other tom selleck westerns.

of the new movies my favorites are monte walch, the good old boys, 3 burials for melquides Estrada, and all the pretty horses, the last one is not so much a western but I sure like some of the bucking horse scenes in it.

old ones I like are the old monte walsh, cullpepper cattle company, tom horn, most all the sam elliots.

on a side note I heard one time it took 31 different horse to make the bucking horse scene in the old monte walch with lee marvin

--------------------
nothing is politically correct if its morally wrong

Posts: 248 | From: okla | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2015 10:38 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a vote for "3 Burials For Melquides Estrada" but it keeps reminding me of No Country For Old Men. One I think is called, "All The Pretty Horses" was interesting, if you like that chick, forget her name? Who can forget The Wild Bunch? Didn't like the way Tom Horn ended, or the double cross that got him in that fix.

Happy Mother's Day, Lance.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

trapper2
Member # 3651

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2015 10:57 AM      Profile for trapper2           Edit/Delete Post 
I have read a lot about tom horn, did some reports on him in school, I think he got set up but who knows, I'm just going by the stuff I got to read, cal have you studied up on it much? I know you are from up in that part of the world

--------------------
nothing is politically correct if its morally wrong

Posts: 248 | From: okla | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2015 12:45 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Nobody, nobody is my name.

I haven't seen that one since I was a young'n but it was one of my favorites even though I don't remember much about it now.

The Cowboys is one of my favorites and while not technically a "western" l like "the last of the dogmen"

I flipped on the tv yesterday prepared to watch cowboy Saturday and only caught the Rifleman and Rawhide then it went to some stupid movie. Not nearly enough westerns on these days.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2015 10:04 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
I went on an antelope hunt in WY in 1984. Had to miss my 10 year high school reunion because of it. Tom Horn was pretty new back then, and I was, and still am a Steve McQueen fan. We hunted just outside Medicine Bow and took our kills to the local processor. His wife had grown up in the area and when I asked her, she said she had known Horn. He was popular in town, used to buy her and all the kids candy when he was in town. Her parents were convinced it was a setup.

"If I'd a killed that kid, it woulda been the best shot I ever made, and the dirtiest trick I ever pulled.

Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2015 10:30 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, The Searchers is one of the best of all time, IMO.

Up there with The Good, Bad, and Ugly.

My Name is Nobody is good too. I never see it on anymore, for some reason.

Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2015 03:37 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with you about the "Tom Horn" movie, Leonard.

Jimzy, I stayed a night @ the Virginian in Medicine Bow & couldn't keep from imagining what kinda shit went down in/around that place in the past! Musta been the bullet holes in the walls?

Couple days ago, watched "For a Few Dollars More" with Eastwood & Van Cleef...

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted July 08, 2015 06:15 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Cable One, they changed and re-arranged a bunch of stuff.

Discovered I have GRIT TV now. Some more westerns, I never knew about. Watched JUBE the other day.

In the meantime several episodes of Laramie, including a few in black and white.

GET-TV also has some good ones, weird haven't seen a Wayne or Eastwood movie yet on these channels ? Nothin' against that stuff, just kinda' refreshing to watch westerns without those guys..

[ July 08, 2015, 06:16 PM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 08, 2015 06:42 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Will Penny with Charlton Heston was a bit offbeat, but I related to the location which was the Owens Valley.

Tell you what, there was a shitpot full of two reelers from the good old days. Guys like Hoot Gibson, Hopalong Cassidy, Gene Autrey, Bob Steele, Tom Mix, Lash La Rue, Roy Rogers. In the early days, on weekends, there were only two channels in Minneapolis, WCCO and KSTP, (I think?) Anyway, they started with test patterns then played "Oaters" all day Saturday. You could count on a scene where a huge posse would "head 'em off at the pass." All black and white, of course, the bad guy never won. Hell, even the Lone Ranger could keep me entertained for thirty minutes. "What mean 'we' paleface?"

But, back in the early fifties, programming heavily depended on old westerns.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Prune Picker
AR Forum Assistant Moderator-handgun GURU and dispenser of sage advice
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted July 08, 2015 09:53 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Heck I watched The Shootist again last nite. Probably for about the 300th time , it ends the same way every time.

--------------------
mike

Posts: 1265 | From: "Oklahomie" | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted July 09, 2015 03:36 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Reading a book now call Summer of the Moon (I think) about the Texans and the the Indians.
The story "The Searchers" is based on the Cindy Parker story. It's a good read. When I get back on top I'll post the name of the book and author bought it at Costco.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Prune Picker
AR Forum Assistant Moderator-handgun GURU and dispenser of sage advice
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted July 09, 2015 04:42 AM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
EW, was it "The Empire Of The Summer Moon" ? If so that is one of the better books that I've every read.

--------------------
mike

Posts: 1265 | From: "Oklahomie" | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted July 09, 2015 05:53 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
I am a huge John Wayne fan...I can honestly say I have not seen 'The Shootist'. The main reason is that John Wayne gets killed...in fact, it took me a long time to watch 'The Cowboys' all of the way through since he dies in that one.

'Rooster Cogburn' and 'McClintock' are two of my all time faves...I, too, liked 'Tom Horn' with McQueen. I especially liked the ending where they engineered the gallows the way they did as no one wanted to pull the lever on him. I still think he was set up...

I also liked 'The Long Riders' with the 3 sets of brothers...Carradine, Keach and Quaid.

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters