The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » Length of Pull...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Length of Pull...
Displayed Name
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4669

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2017 06:29 PM      Profile for Displayed Name   Email Displayed Name         Edit/Delete Post 
So up to now I've never really put much thought at all into length of pull.... to the extent I never even looked to see what it even exactly meant. I probably only barely understand all the factors that are important to accurately measuring to see what would be your ideal length of pull.

I've got a Boyd's thumb hole stock on my 17-204 that I never really cared for how the rifle felt to shoulder or to grip the stock/ finger on trigger. Just always felt off and I was tweaking my body to shoot it. Had planned for a while to attack the grip but just measured a stock I like shooting for length of pull and decided to match it with the Boyd's. The Choate stock I like had a 13in lop and the Boyd's was 13 5/8. So sawed off 5/8 and it really does make a difference.
Can't upload pics because just got a new phone and haven't recovered any photos yet. Hogged out a generous amount of laminate at the back of the grip and added a considerable amount of wood to the front section of the grip. I initially tried a two part epoxy puddy but it failed to cure....at all. So just shaped some wood with a die grinder, drilled anchor holes in the stock and wood. Used PL construction adhesive and one countersunk screw. It feels and looks more like a semi-vertical pistol grip now and my finger is now comfortably on the trigger. Kinda want to just clear coat it and go for the rat rod rifle kinda look but I'm sure I'll clean it up and make it look presentable. Anyway just a $100 stock so I'm happy where it's headed.

[ January 09, 2017, 06:32 PM: Message edited by: Displayed Name ]

Posts: 26 | From: Prince Edward Island | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2017 08:26 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I am pretty sure that you measure your LOP by laying the rifle or shotgun in the crook of your arm to your curved trigger finger. For most people it works out between 13 5/8th and 14" but that depends on how heavy your coat is. A long stock is very difficult to shoulder while wearing an insulated parka.

However, 13" seems kinda short for most people unless you might be short in stature?

I can't really imagine what you did to fabricate and modify your stock? But, as long as your happy and it turned out okay, all's well that ends well. Right?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moe
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2017 08:43 PM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
Length of pull and drop are critical in shotgun shooting. I've really only had one problem with a rifle. Unfortunately it was my Kimber 84M Classic 22-250. I had to contort my neck t be able to look through the scope. I sold the rifle to a friend and it fits him fine. I have long arms and a long neck.

Leonard is correct on determining length of pull.

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
Displayed Name
Member # 4669

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2017 05:09 AM      Profile for Displayed Name   Email Displayed Name         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't really think I'm short at 5'10" but maybe less than average in height in some areas of the world. I think my arms tho are maybe a tiny bit shorter for my size and I also usually hunt with a lot of clothes on. I can shoot it fine the way it was just fits me better a little shorter.

[ January 15, 2017, 01:33 PM: Message edited by: Displayed Name ]

Displayed Name
Member # 4669

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2017 10:15 AM      Profile for Displayed Name   Email Displayed Name         Edit/Delete Post 
 -

-

Came out ok I never liked the geometry at all of how my hand and wrist fit into the Boyd's thumbhole stock. This feels much more natural.
 -

[ January 15, 2017, 10:43 AM: Message edited by: Displayed Name ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2017 11:19 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I see what you described and yet my mind wouldn't allow what the image was telling be. But what I see with the photos, is what I imagined and thought it was so odd that I must have got something wrong, if you get my drift? It's very unusual but if it's comfortable and works for you, that's all that counts.

There will be some that will look at it and react negatively. As long as you don't mind a few weird looks, 'cause nobody's going to say; "wow, that's sure a fine looking rifle you got there." lol

Good hunting.El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Displayed Name
Member # 4669

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2017 01:05 PM      Profile for Displayed Name   Email Displayed Name         Edit/Delete Post 
Haha no I don't care if someone reacts negatively , as long as I'm happy it's fine. I would disagree that no one is gonna say that's a fine looking rifle. My friends have no Coopers etc. Really though if you look closely at how your hand goes into the thumbhole stock it's the one that is further from the norm. I've had lots of rifles and never felt one that was as off as it was. The pistol grip(kinda ) I have now is a much more mainstream grips. At least I don't see many thumbhole shotguns or AR's.

[ January 15, 2017, 01:36 PM: Message edited by: Displayed Name ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2017 06:59 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
My first 25'06 Ackley had a Royal laminated thumbhole stock. I really hogged out the whole grip area to get it feeling good. But, when I did, it was very good, very comfortable but it took a lot of work to get there. That rifle was a genuine tack driver but it was stolen. I had a Canjar single set trigger on it. Rifle was made by PO Ackley himself.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Displayed Name
Member # 4669

Icon 1 posted February 22, 2017 02:36 PM      Profile for Displayed Name   Email Displayed Name         Edit/Delete Post 
Had it put away waiting on a supply of Wipe Out. I was getting frustrated with the intensive cleaning every 30 to 40 shots. Shoots well again, zero measured throat erosion after a box of kindler 30's. Gun tho I have reassessed and it def is not fine, pretty fugly haha
MClark
PAKMAN
Member # 4087

Icon 1 posted February 25, 2017 07:38 PM      Profile for MClark   Email MClark         Edit/Delete Post 
I like a long stock, I have rifles with 16 and 17" pull.
The length required varies with style, grip angle etc.
Shotgun guys worry about stock fit and (Sometimes) do something about it. A rifle stock that fits will improve accuracy and how fast you get on target.

Mark

Posts: 8 | From: Arizona | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 26, 2017 07:05 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose you are sure about that length of pull? I've never heard of anybody with those numbers?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

MClark
PAKMAN
Member # 4087

Icon 1 posted February 26, 2017 08:14 AM      Profile for MClark   Email MClark         Edit/Delete Post 
Yea,they sound real long but it is the real measurement from trigger to butt. I tend to not keep my head up, I have been told "crawl the stock".
The longest stocks are for a Thompson Contender rifle, the more vertical grip a longer length works better for me. I used the to the inside of elbow as a starting point but for a specific stock shape I will hold it up where everything feels right and measure the gap between butt and my shoulder. Later adjustment can be made with thickness of the recoil pad.
I also fret over the comb height. While the stock is still rough I assemble the gun with the scope to be used, I shoulder it with my eyes closed, open eyes to see if to high (always leave plenty of wood so it will be high) . Cut down comb, repeat until it fits.
By doing all this when I swing up the rifle I am correctly positioned looking through the scope. A huge advantage for speed and in poor light.
I work as a gunsmith so I can make what makes me happy.

Mark

MClark
PAKMAN
Member # 4087

Icon 1 posted February 26, 2017 08:25 AM      Profile for MClark   Email MClark         Edit/Delete Post 
If I am hunting in cold with heavy clothes, very rare, I have other rifles with shorter stocks.
M

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters