The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » Rimfires (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Rimfires
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2015 06:16 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok gents, pretty sure most everyone here are riflemen, to some degree. But most of us here take our rifles fairly seriously. Considering that, I reckon that there are some cool rimfires lurking here amongst our centerfire aficionados...

Now that Rimfire ammo is becoming more consistently available in my AO, imma be shootin' ALOT more .22lr and .17HMR. So, for conversation, what are some of your favorite, most cherished, and/or most fun Rimfire rifles?

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2015 07:22 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Fred, I'm not much of a rimfire guy, not in the sense that I know much about them, or have ever put much money into one. I have shot many times my bodyweight in .22LR though!

My favorite, is my old 10/22. A girl I was boinking at the time gave it to me for my 17th birthday. Have put who knows how much ammo through it.

When I was in my early 20's, a guy me and Tim know pulled up in front of my house in his Impala with the trunk FULL of bricks of .22LR. Bunch of different brands. He didn't say where he got them and we didn't ask, but the price was dirt cheap and me and Tim bought that whole trunk full - I mean literally, the trunk of an old Impala completely filled - of .22LR.

For the next few months, Tim and I put a brick a day, each, through our .22's. We had a spot only a couple miles from my house we could shoot (it's now a runway at the SLC airport...). Every day that we weren't gone hunting or fishing, we went out there and shot 500 rounds each. We came up with some fun stuff to do with them. Chasing golf balls down the road, letting balloons go and stuff like that. Got pretty good with those .22's...

Anyway, that's an idea of how much ammo that old 10/22 of mine has had through it. Tim's old Winchester semi-auto, I forget the model, eventually just fell to pieces. I kept repairing it for him, did some pretty creative parts fabrication as needed to keep it running, but it eventually that two piece stamped receiver just plumb wore out. But my 10/22 is still going strong today.

I did, eventually, go through it and put a new barrel, stock, complete trigger and action job etc. on it. But even that was about 20 years ago now. Has had a Leupold 6x42 on it for about 25 years, that I sent in to have the parallax adjusted to 75 yards on.

I used to could shoot that little rifle pretty dang good...

Most cherished would be a lot harder to say. I have three that are all very special to me. One, is my Dad's old Win. 72A. Nothing fancy about it, but Dad bought it new when he was in high school and I saw him shoot more jackrabbits with that thing than most people could imagine. Luckiest, most amazing rifle shot I ever witnessed, was Dad, with that rifle. He mortared a single round at a lone jackrabbit once and tipped it over - aiming about a hundred feet high! It was a literal one-in-a-million type shot. Just impossible. But it happened and I saw it. Anyway, Dad's old .22 is pretty special to me.

Then I also have a Win. 1890 WRF that my Great-Grandpa won in a poker game at the Hotel Utah more than a hundred years ago. Family legend has it that some well known outlaws were in that game. But the rifle was won from a farmer, the story goes. Nothing fancy about it, either, just a garden variety octagon barrel 1890, but it's been in the family a long time and I got to shoot it a lot when I was a kid, and it's special too.

Next up is Dad's "fancy" .22, a Win. 52 that he didn't shoot much, because it was "too nice". He set a lot of store by that rifle, so I do too. Had it out and shot it a bit this past summer, it's still a tack driver for sure.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2015 07:44 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
My most cherished .22 is a Belgium Browning take down my mom bought my dad for his birthday in 1955. I still have the receipt from the gun store and the original box. It is retired now in the safe.

My most favorite is a Marlin Golden 39A I bought from my brother in law. It was a rescue project as it had spent 3 years in a fleece gun case in a closet. I ‘skinned’ the fleece off the rifle and used much rust remover along with 0000 steel wool. The rust remover did a yeoman’s job and there is only one spot where I got under the bluing a bit.

At any rate, the accuracy is top notch, but my aging eyes are having a helluva time focusing on the front sight, so it will get an AimPoint red dot at some point in the future.

It was my main varmint control gun with .22 CB shorts taking care of the 13 striped ground squirrel problem we had at our old house.

I also killed 8 rabbits with one shot with it one evening…shot what turned out to be a female bunny at 20 yards, and she shucked 7 little ones out the back after the head shot…

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2015 08:07 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I used to do a fair amount of plinking with my 10-22 when ammo was available. (and cheap)
Iron sights & 30 round clips.
Got into the habit of double tapping with it.
Got pretty good at it too. Put the whammy on a bunch of jackrabbits.
Then I took my Mini-14 out with hollow points on a coyote stand.
Coyote trotted past at about 30 yards.
One in the shoulder & one in the spine.
Took an hour to sew the damn thing back together.

Also really enjoy shooting my Ruger Mark something auto-loading pistol.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7579 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2015 08:19 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I really never had a great deal of interest in rimfires. The first I owned was a Christmas present JC Higgins. I hocked it for some unknown reason just before enlisting, maybe that was the reason?

I only have one, a Browning auto. It's not Belgium, made in Japan but it's a cool little gun. Couldn't tell you the last time I shot it?

Oh, just remembered, I have a single shot take down survival rifle, I think it's only been fired once, by me. The sights are a joke.

That's all I got.

Good hunting. El Bee

PS I would have liked to know Dave's father, from what I have been able to gleen, he was my kind of guy.

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2015 09:05 AM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Most memorable rimfire is easy. My dad gave me a Remington 582 for Christmas when I was 8 years-old. The 582's were a tube feed, bolt action, with a plain beechwood stock. New for $73.

Most people where I grew up liked tube feeds because they held 15 rounds.

As a kid, every sunny day in the spring after school meant a walk a couple hundreds yards from the house to shoot ground squirrels. Back in those days nobody cared about trespass problems as long as you minded your manners while shooting squirrels. Good times.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Prune Picker
AR Forum Assistant Moderator-handgun GURU and dispenser of sage advice
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2015 11:35 AM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
A 22rf was pretty much a tool for me until a few (~15) years ago, Winchester Collector prices went insane so I let my prize ones go. Then in a round about way I got into a deal on CZ's & BRNO'S and found a couple rimfires that I have come to really enjoy, a BRNO#1 & a CZ452 in 22mag. They are both legit 1/2" or less 100yd, 6lb rifles. If anyone likes accurate rimfire rifles give the CZ's a look, even an average one is usually capable of 1" to 1 1/2" groups @ 100 yards.

--------------------
mike

Posts: 1265 | From: "Oklahomie" | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2015 12:05 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I don't own any CZ stuff, but I am impressed. Don't know why I don't? Have to remedy that.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Prune Picker
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2015 12:37 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
LB, do you remember the now famous (to me) saying, "Only Accurate Rifles are Interesting"? I haven't always abided by that rule, but for some reason the older I get, I'm more prone to echo those words when evaluating any new firearm regardless of caliber. Any bolt action 'must be accurate!'

--------------------
mike

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2015 12:56 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a couple 452 .22LR's buried in my pile somewhere. One of them is the little Scout model my kids used to pass hunter safety.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Prune Picker
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2015 01:16 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, when the CZ Trainer's showed up they caught my attention! The older ones were equipped with a Tangent rear sight that was remarkably repeatable out to 200 yards, for about the same price as a 10-22. I've noticed the newish ones now have a Williams post rear sight, which is probably fine for most people. Now that rimfire ammo is showing up and not so much at scalpers prices, it might be worth digging em' out and giving them some use. On another note, I hope your aches and pains are easing up a bit, better yet, easing up a bunch!

--------------------
mike

jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2015 03:55 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
I have owned exactly 2 .22 rifles. Presently, it's a modified 10/22 that shoots pretty darn good. Prior to that, and by FAR my favorite, was a Winchester model 250. Bought it for $55 with paper route money when I was probably 10 years old. It had the coolest adjustable mechanical sight, plus I was a huge Chuck Connors fan.

I shot a lot of shit with that little rifle. Some of my fondest memories are of strolling through the desert with my cousin shooting anything that moved (no game law violations, of course), plus a bunch of stuff that didn't move.

Sometime during my teen years my SIL got into decoupage, and I cut out a picture of a coyote from an Outdoor Life magazine and had her apply it to the buttstock. No doubt cheapened the rifle, but made it exclusively mine.

It sat in the safe for years and became pretty inaccurate, so it didn't get used much anymore. I had an impending 12th birthday coming up a few years ago and decided to see if I could resurrect it. After a bunch of Butch's and some serious scrubbing, I was satisfied to give it away to a fine young man. I don't know if it shot as good as when I was 12, but I know he's been pretty happy with it.

Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2015 05:12 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm shooting a Ruger 10/22 also. Have had a few over the years, this one was made in 80 or 81 ? has pretty decent wood on it. Scope is a Nikon rimfire fixed four power.

Works great as a walk around gun in the spring shooting 10-30 yard sage rats.

If, I were going get another as Mike mentioned it would be a CZ bolt rig. I shoot rats every spring with buddy's from Warshington state. Among those guys they have CZ 17 HMR's, 17 Mach2's nice little rifles.

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Rifleshooter
Knows what it's all about
Member # 3983

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2015 06:06 PM      Profile for Rifleshooter           Edit/Delete Post 
452 American 22LR
452 American 17HMR
452 American 22WMR
Remington 541S 22LR
Henry Survival Rifle 22LR
Ruger take down SS 10-22 22LR
2 Ruger 10-22's
Ruger American 22LR
Ruger American 17HMR
2 Ruger 22LR auto pistols.
Damn, I like them all.

--------------------
The pen is mighter than the sword, but is no match for a Colt.

Posts: 29 | From: CA-AZ-MT | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Prune Picker
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2015 09:39 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
A few months back Jeff (Krusty) mentioned that he was looking for an affordable Rimfire, just wondering how his search turned out? In regards to the CZ's, todays prices have risen according to their popularity but if a guy shops a bit a decent price can be found thru the online dealers.

--------------------
mike

TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2015 04:30 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I've had a dozen 22's over the years and quit the 22 LR when I bought a Winchester 9422m in 22 mag of course. My dad has that rifle now and my stash of ammo, he'll have it till he passes then I'm quite sure it'll become my favorite gun period. Daddy never was much into guns or hunting, worked all the time but he fell in love with that 9422m.

For now I guess it's my Kimber of NY 22. Without a doubt the most accurate 22 I've ever had or shot. Had an SVT that was close but I sold it to fund my Montana 223
 - [/URL]
I'll add to this later, gotta go kill a coyote now.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2015 05:43 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a classic right there Tom. Love it!

Always wanted a 9422M, too, but never got there. Have a couple Marlin .22 Mags, a bolt and a semi, shoot good enough for what they are, but no style to them at all.

Had the semi, a 922M, do a kind of a kaboom on me once, guess it must have fired out of battery. Broke the stock, put some cartridge brass into my hand, bulged the barrel. Closest thing to a rifle blowing up I've ever had.

Crazy thing, is I glued the stock back together and it still shoots about the same as before, even though you can feel a distinct bulge about 8" in front of the chamber!

- DAA

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2015 08:36 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Just scored on a box of 100 Winchester Super X at the local Wally World.
$8.37
Probably didn't get scalped but it kinda felt like a crew-cut when I paid.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7579 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2015 08:56 AM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
I've noticed in the local paper recently where the scalpers are trying to sell .22 rimfire ammo for $6-$8 per box of fifty or $60-80 per carton of 500. I'm starting to see some 22 rf on the selves again.

I haven't bought any 22 rimfire ammo since well before the scare started, but prior to this I was buying for Win 40 grain Power Points for $13-16 per carton of 500, and would get a slightly better deal on a case.

I seriously hope the people trying to make a profit on the scare ending up sitting on thousands of dollars worth of ammo.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2015 09:04 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't agree more Lonny.

I've got about ~2000 rounds so I'm ok for awhile. Would like to pick up a brick or two for the heck of it sometime.

I here rumors these guys know when stock orders show up @ Wally Mart or Sportmans or whatever, and wait for the doors to open and stand in line to buy 22 ammo.

Assholes !!

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2015 09:53 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Got skunked and rained out so let's get back to 22's.

My Kimber is an absolute shooter, with it's favorite ammo, it's a ragged hole at 50 yards with 5 shots. I recently put an SWFA a super chicken 10x mil quad scope on it and will try it at 200 yards and further but 50 and 100 fun enough.

I traded off a 1911-22 Kimber for a race gun last week. My buddy won lots of matches with this little Ruger 22-45 it's got a TacSol barrel, Volquatsen trigger, aggressive stippling job and a JPoint red dot. It shoots pretty good to say the least. It came with a Bennie Cooley brake on it but I have a suppressor so I took the brake off and will run it suppressed most of the time.

The Browning Buckmark has a TacSol barrel too and a Burris Fast Fire II but my wife has kinda took it over. It's a fun gun to shoot, especially suppressed.
 - [/URL]
When the ammo shortage started I had about 13000 rounds on hand. My youngest daughter used to shoot 1100 rounds in a day with an AR15-22 I used to have so every time I went to Walmart, I picked up a $20 brick or two. I also bought target ammo which never was hard to get. I still have plenty left and have a pretty good stash of subsonics too but we don't "blast away" like we used to. I hope the scalpers die a slow painful death.

[ January 31, 2015, 09:56 AM: Message edited by: TOM64 ]

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2015 10:42 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't bought rimfire in about 15 years. Was down to less than 5k rounds but found another 6k I'd forgotten about. Alot of it is Federal 550 packs I paid $8.99 each for... Found a couple thousand. 17 HMR and. 22 mag at the bottom of that pile too.

- DAA

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2015 02:03 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Dave Allen is correct;
It's not as bad now as it once was but not too long ago there was a regular social group at the sporting goods counter at our Wally World up to TWO HOURS before ammo went on sa1e.
Rumor had it that a couple of the guys were rese11ing to the local pawn shop.

Our local swap meet has a regular se11ing .22 - $60.00 / 500. Not sure who makes the ammo he se11s but it ain't name brand.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2015 02:19 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
The stupidest thing I did was sell a brick of those Winchester wildcat 22's to this kid that cleaned my pool, for $20. THEN, looking into the situation, I suddenly panicked and mail ordered the only 22's available from Midway. Lapua target stuff cost me $125 plus shipping, for a brick! I don't have any gun that would justify burning that ammo, so it was just complete idiocy. I doubt I will ever use it? How's that for a Senior Moment? Right koko?

I'm still stuck in a time warp; I remember when just about any box of 50 would set me back a dollar, or so? But hey, eventually this Lapua stuff might be worth $50, if I live long enough? Oh, I also bought a case of 22 Longs, they are sure to come in handy, one day?

If my wife was still around, she would have confiscated my credit card by now. I need somebody to slap me when I do this shit. I could go on....like the insane amount of large rifle primers I have on the shelf. Apparently, hoarding comes natural to me, I seem to have a real talent for stupid moves?

And, I don't know why I'm sharing this? Makes me look more stupider than I actually am.

Question: what is a reasonable amount of LR primers to have on hand, when I probably shoot less than 500 rounds a year?

Good hunting. El Stupido

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Eddie
Member # 4324

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2015 03:42 PM      Profile for Eddie   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Got my first 22 when I was ten back in 1967 it was a Remington model 510 (The Target Master). It will shoot shorts, longs and long rifles best 22 I've ever shot. Even shot my first coyote with it while I was squirrel hunting a long time ago, shoot him in the head with a hollow point. All three of my sons started shooting with it now its sitting in the safe waiting for the grandsons to get there turn.
Posts: 275 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters