The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » 27* (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 27*
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 14, 2024 06:30 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
It's down to 27* this morning.

I DID NOT MOVE TO ARIZONZ FOR 27* mornings.

(and yes, I know Tim's laughing at our 'mild' weather)

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 14, 2024 09:51 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Koko stop crying its -8 here in northland.

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5063 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 14, 2024 11:26 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
The overnight low for the past week around here has been about 42* which is considered COLD for Southern The People's Republik. Supposed to get up to 60* today?

People think Arizona can't get cold. That's wrong, it can get pretty damned cold over there!

I remember one time we were on vacation, and decided to stop at my cousin's trailer in Mormon Lake. I knew where the key was under the porch. When we got there, the trailer, something like a 48 footer had (as I recall, something like 12 foot drifts piled up on the side with the door. Using pieces of board, we were able to gain entrance, but wore us out doing it. Mormon Lake is about 25 miles southeast of Flagstaff and about (I think?) 5,000ft. elevation. I don't remember the temperature but it was plenty cold. Since then, my cousin has no interest in the property, which has a couple of real cabins on it now, but her 2 girls own it since Billy past away.
Mormon Lake is beautiful country, I can always count on seeing at least a few elk and a few turkey's and the biggest javelina I ever saw was a road kill very close to town. You tend to think of javelina down south but they are now at the higher elevations like Prescott and Sedona and all over northern Arizona. Except the Navajo, I never saw one on the reservation.

I've froze my ass off in Arizona many times!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2024 04:47 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Warm this morning -8
Yesterday morning -11
3 or so days ago -10

We hit 15* yesterday sometime. I don't believe it. Got the tractor running to plow and just about froze my hands off with down gloves on. My marten hat paid for itself kept the head and ears toasty.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Knows what it's all about
Member # 3918

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2024 07:01 AM      Profile for www           Edit/Delete Post 
-39 yesterday morning
-6 for high temp.

A BALMY -23 THIS MORNING. FORTUNATELY NOT MUCH WIND.
Wild and wonderful Northeast Wyoming

Posts: 191 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2024 07:33 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
-39* ....... [Eek!]
That's somewhere between 'colder than a Mother-In-Law's kiss' and 'cold enough to freeze whiskey'.

I couldn't live like that.

Aren't you folks 'up there' all required to wear those Elmer Fudd Stormy Kromer hats ???? [Big Grin]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2024 08:56 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
ko ko, don't laugh at a Stormy Kormer, I own one, myself!

A Martin hat! Now, that there is class! In Russia, high class is Sable. But, I'd take any of them, Fisher, Mink or Martin although I don't know if I could tell them apart?

Good hunting. El Bee

edit:
PS it's 51 degrees here, right now.

PPS Look, that deal up there in the North Woods of Minneesota is nothing to joke about. Nine fucking months of sub zero weather followed by the mosquito attacks in their brief summer, AND for some reason, they like it! Go figure?

[ January 15, 2024, 09:04 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2024 09:21 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Just in reviewing above comments, whoa! the man says "not much wind" in Wyoming?

I will never forget the 3 days I was snowbound in Rock Springs, every restaurant in town was out of food, even coffee and we were trapped with wind blown snow; it wasn't falling, it was just blowing, and building up in 10-15 foot drifts blocking the highway. I will never forget it! More than 50 years ago and I'm still telling that story to anyone who will listen.

It really does beg the question: why in hell do people enjoy living with brutal weather conditions? I'm in southern California, better known as The People's Republik and this is the best climate in the world. That's been proven. For some reason, this mild climate breeds idiots, or Liberals as some people refer to idiots. I don't get it? Nobody does?

We are cursed here for the pleasant climate. Victor crosses the border and he acts like he just crossed into North Korea. And he's not alone. Every damned relative of mine won't come to Kalifornia unless you hold a gun to their head or pay them. It's laughable, really. It's like they are tainted just by venturing across the river, or more probably, the folks back home will scorn them if they find out about it! I don't get it?

Good hunting. El Bee

[ January 15, 2024, 09:22 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2024 10:22 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
We have five seasons here counting indian summer. What's not to like. If it gets too hot here in July or August just go to one of the 10,000 lakes to cool off or sit under a shade tree. Mosquitos? Depends on where you go. Worked all summer in Eastern Min. just south of twin cities never seen a mosquito or at home for that matter. Can drive north and listen to wolves' howl at night or drive to southern part of state and listen to coyotes sing. Whats not to like?
You like to be around crowds and crazy ass people then drive to the twin cities you get your fill of them, if not just stay at home in rural areas and have little peace and quiet. Winter here sure we get some cold ass days and we also get those mild temp days around 25-31 degrees which is perfect for hunting or just being outside, you get use to it and adapt, no big whoop. One of my good friends lives on Iowa and Missouri border and runs dogs, he always says he would rather come here to run in snow than dry ground or dam mud as it changes all the time there. One week rain and next snow then back to mud and rain again, fuck that. You get caught in the rain you get all wet and soaked, get caught here in snow just brush it off. no big whoop. LOL

P.S. if you love to fish then nothing beats a week sitting on a frozen lake in a warm fish house watching T.V. and catching fish at same time. You lay in bed sleeping and all of a sudden, the rattle real starts to rattle, there nothing like it.

Sitting on stand with ground covered in snow with a red fox or coyote coming into your calling, there nothing like it. Going out calling at night with a thermal and can see for over half mile and watch a coyote or fox approach and work the caller, there nothing like it.

[ January 15, 2024, 10:30 AM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2024 11:06 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently, member has sustained a head injury. A shame!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2024 12:37 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Koko? hope he gets better

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2024 12:37 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
No ........ no !!!
Sounds like Paradise !!! Pass the word to all of the Californicators that are thinking about moving here to Az. that Mini-soda is the place to go.

[Razz]

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2024 02:29 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Az would be a step up from Cali. As for Mn. our guns laws more relaxed no limits on what you can buy. Thermals, suppressors you name it and you don't have to load all your stuff in a boat and then have a accident on the lake. LOL

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2024 03:18 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok ............. Ya got me there.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2024 04:54 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
He got you there because you got too many damned Kalifornia Liberals buying up all the property and influencing your elections.

If you don't know your neighbors, just wait 'til next year and they will be Kalifornia Liberals and because your guns make them nervous, they will make 'em illegal! Think, I mean chew on that little nugget!

Good hunting. El Bee

[ January 15, 2024, 04:56 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Knows what it's all about
Member # 3918

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2024 06:44 AM      Profile for www           Edit/Delete Post 
Stormy Kromer hats are not a requirement. I much prefer the mad bomber style hat, better neck and ear coverage.
Being retired I don't venture out in this cold weather.

Posts: 191 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2024 10:25 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
looks like trump owns Iowa, how about cali or az?

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2024 10:26 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was a kid, just after WWII, it was common to see kids wearing a pilot helmet, they were leather, similar to a Mad Bomber. Quite trendy, back then, although I don't think the word "trendy" was invented, that long ago. Another fashion trend when I was a kid was Jodhpurs but we didn't call them that? At least I don't remember what we called them? ko ko, give me a little help here, you are older than you loo. Winter, we also wore a type of Scandinavian knit skullcap with a peak in front and side dangles. Popular with young boys, I never saw anybody else wear them? I always thought it was the Swedish influence, or more likely Finland.

They always called Minneesota "Little Sweden" and everybody was named Anderson, with a few Carlson's and Larson's lurking around. I think that's where the term, "Galoshes" comes from? And speed skates! The cool kids all had speed skates while I proudly wore Hockey skates. Tripping over speed skates could be dangerous. Ask me how I know? The icehouse had wood floors, of course, and a pot bellied stove with a pipe railing around it to prop your skates up on it 'cause your feet were frozen from being out skating all night.

You know all the parks had kind of dug out fields with sides or banks that were about a foot deep. Around like the first day of school, the fire department would open the fire hydrants and flood these sunken fields and by tomorrow you had a skating ring for all winter, or basically, all year round. Most parks had at least two sunken fields, with one devoted to a hockey rink. Back then, rock salt was king and car bodies would rust out before they were paid for. Ah yes, those were the days!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2024 12:39 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Now here's a story that gladdens my heart. Liberals are so desperate to fix the planet that they will grasp at any stray idea guaranteed to green a planet that doesn't need their pathetic attempts to cure the climate problem; you know, the one that doesn't exist.

Meanwhile, my doufus state has (of course) made EV's MANDATORY starting in a few years. That's Democrat bonehead solutions to everything, masks, immunizations, big rig trucks, all while banning gasoline engines. If it's worth doing; make it MANDATORY!

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2024/01/chicago_becomes_a_graveyard_littered_with_corpses_of_dead_robots.html

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2024 01:31 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
today's ice fish house looks just like a RV camper. State of the art and has most anything you can think of and prices run from 30K and up. As for hats in Min. it depended on where you lived in the state and what heritage was living in that area. German, swedes, Norwegians, Danes, polish or Dutch ect. My area was a baseball type hat with ear flaps or just plain old stocking cap and hooded jacket. The stormy groupers I would see on the hunters way up north. Oh we had few Russians around they wore fur hat with peak or ridge running down center from front to back .

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2024 02:34 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
30K for an ice shanty ??? [Eek!] [Eek!]
When I was a kid I used to make them out of cardboard refrigerator boxes and duct tape for like ... nothing.

There's a goof-ball on one of the 'hunting programs' that wears one of those knit hats with the built in pig-tails. Just looks silly.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted January 16, 2024 09:15 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's an ethnic thing ko ko. I'm pretty sure it's a Finland style but maybe Holland? Somewhere in Scandinavia, for sure. But, I don't know why? Maybe tie the dangles together? I hunted with a guy that wore one. He said it was the warmest cap/hat he has ever worn. That would be a legitimate reason, don't you agree?

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: ko ko those ice shanties he speaks of are exactly like a travel trailer, in fact, they might even have wheels so they would be indistinguishable.

[ January 16, 2024, 09:19 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

NVWalt
Does not claim to be overly bright!
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2024 04:43 AM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
It' 9 degrees outside right now at 7:30 Eastern.
I feel like I am back in Nevada. I can say one thing about TN and that's these people don't know how to drive in the snow. Took the wife to the airport to catch a plane to Vegas and what a fustercluck with 20 MPH cars and people spinning out. Only to drive back home and get a call to go back and pick her up because the airport shut down. Get to try again tomorrow if the place isn't shut down.

--------------------
Support Communism and help destroy the United States of America ! VOTE DEMOCRAT. "In the end, they aren't coming after me. They are coming after you!" D.Trump

Posts: 636 | From: Tellico Plains, TN | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2024 08:46 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Leonard they just like a camper. Few guys I work with use them on job to stay in at night to cut cost of staying at hotel. (tax write off) and then set it out on the lake after it freezes. (Dual purpose)

Best part of being on a frozen lake is at night when temp.s drop way down. As you lay awake in your bed and all of a sudden you hear the ice crack from far off and it gets closer and closer to your location and then goes past or under your icehouse and continues on and on, if goes under the house it jumps just a little to get you really excited. There nothing like it in the world and a real hoot to experience for first time or even a second time.

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2024 09:06 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Come winter the men in my family and few friends would haul the icehouses up to the lake and leave them there all winter. We would drive up on Monday morning and then fish till fri. morning then go back home for weekend. This went on all winter.
On the slow days I would jump in my pickup and go call Redfox till dark then return back to the lake to prepare for the night run of fish, walleye mostly. We also had what I would call a smaller house would hook it up behind the ATV and pull it over to where the sunfish lurked and catch a bunch of them then take back to where we had the rest of the house, clean them up and then fry them for everyone to eat. There is a bait shop just down road from the lake you can go in there and just mention the Anderson name and heads will pick up and you will get a stare from those in there as it will be silent till the owner starts to speak. He then well starts to tell stories of us from years and years ago passed on by his father and grand father.
I took my wife there just before she died, and she walked up to the counter and asked for few bags of chips. The owner asks her what is her name? She tells him and the store falls silent, and a big smile comes on the owner's face and then he starts to ask her questions and then tell stories. Real big hoot for sure. The wife in meantime was overjoyed she didn't know the family was so well known up in those parts.

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters