The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » 27* (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 27*
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2024 12:01 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember coming home, (Minneapolis) from ice fishing somewhere, I was little, have no idea what lake? But anyway, my dad tossed the fish, mostly Crappies and what Minneesotians call "sunfish" but everybody else calls Bluegill or Brime; something like that? Anyway, they would come alive again and start flopping around. This made it a hell of a lot easier to gut and scale them, but I think he did it for my benefit, to WOW the whippersnapper.

There was a time when we saw a big bunch of discarded Christmas trees, out in the middle of Lake Hiawatha. Somebody had made a bonfire and there was a circle of trees that weren't burned. My buddy Darrell walked out on the ice just to check it out. Then, he broke through the weakened ice. So, I went out there and pulled him out. He would never have got out by himself. We walked back to my house and snuck into the basement and took our clothes off and were drying them on the furnace when my mom came down the stairs and caught us and we told her what happened. She got us some robes and then she went across the street to tell Darrell's mother what happened. She was a lot older than my mom and had a stroke that night and for some reason, they (across the street) blamed me for Darrell's bonehead stunt! I was a trouble causer or something and My buddy didn't do much to correct those assumptions. I saved his fucking life, is what happened, and actually, he was older and I was more a follower than instigator. I think we were like 11 and 12 at the time. Oh well, all part of growing up in the frozen northern state of Minn; but we were a lot like Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer and spent a good amount of time along the Mississippi river; frogs, toads, snakes, and lots of trash fish like carp and suckers, speared 'em, mostly. Mrs Paine would have croaked a lot sooner if she knew half of the shit we got in to, in those days.

Sorry for the ramble!
Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2024 12:33 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
We used to carry a couple of gutter spikes (big long nails) on about 3 foot of cord around behind our necks. The idea being if you broke thru you could use the spikes to pull yourself to thicker ice and get out. Never saw anybody do it but it sounded good.
Tim probably knows more about that than I do.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2024 01:27 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
we called them ice spikes or claws, kept one set in the truck incase truck went down. My dad had simple rule 4" for walking on 6"" for the older style fish houses and 12" or better for grouping up the houses on a hot spot with 2-3' for the trucks, but that usually stayed on shore as I had a ATV and buddy had a snow mobile with hitch on it so we good to go there. No close calls for all the years we fished. My dad would walk out on new ice with ice chisel and punch holes and then I measure the thickness and also check water dept as we went, was looking for that magic 17-18' feet.

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5063 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2024 04:36 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Growing up in SW Idaho ice was a hit or miss thing. We always wanted ice to go ice skating. One family always held the New Years eve ice skating party. Can remember one year we had ice and all the kid in the valley showed up to skate. Ice was good and we all understood how too much weight and ice went. I remember we all gathered in one spot for some reason and the ice started popping and cracking talk about everyone scattering. We'd have a big bonfire on shore and just had a nice fun time.

Nice memories.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2024 11:52 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a funny story. Me and my buddy Pat went up to Lake Sabrina high up above Bishop with a long iron digging tool. everybody has seen them, pointed, or wedged on one end and a mushroom shape on the other.

So we drove out on the lake, picked a spot that looked really fishy, there are Rainbow, Browns and a few Brookies in that lake.

So chopping and digging out the chipped ice for what seemed like over an hour. The ice n that lake was almost FIVE FOOT DEEP! Then as we broke through, we lost the digging bar and all that was left was a digging bar size hole and then it filled with slushy water, couldn't even get a line to sink, with what sinkers we had with us. Total bust!

I never saw ice that thick when I lived in Minneesota? The elevation up there was, I forget, over 6,000 feet and I seem to remember that it is more like 8,000. Just not sure about that and I haven't been up there in the winter for many years.

I've never had much luck ice fishing, but inside a cozy trailer with plenty of sofa's around the sides and a propane heater going, I think I might like it that way.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2024 03:25 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
sounds about right Leonard the colder the better for making ice. 3' on avr. but did see one year ice was way more than that. My dad had to build an extension for the ice auger. The new houses have beds, bunks, couches, chairs, all the comforts of home. T.V. as well and some die hards installed big screen for stupid football. The down side to those big houses is you can't get on a lake at first ice and that's when bite is best, much slower after that.

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2024 03:30 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
They have houses up north you can rent for the day or week already set up on good spot, I think some of them will even pick you up at airport for a fee or just get rental. Gather abunch of buddies up and make a once in lifetime trip. its worth it.. P.S. try to dress so you fit in and don't wear the hats with ear flaps, but bomber hat be fine.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2024 06:41 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a good one! Fit in; in Minneesota! And, they all have a slight Swedish accent. They have been in this country since the Wilson Administration, and every generation since still talks like they just got off the boat, kind of a lilting brogue you can't put your finger on....yeah, by yimine! All caps have ear flaps

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2024 09:40 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Just put it this way Leonard you shoe up in sandals, flower shirts and shorts you won't fit in and will be treated differently. Farther north you go the more you hear the native Swedish accent. We have Mennonite's, Hutterite's ect. they all talk in Dutch or with a Dutch accent. We have a few colonies of them around, good hard workers and they know how to cook. Some areas you may come across some with German accent those people aren't normal. I don't think anyone at camp outs had a hard time understanding me. Paul was little funny he sounded like a Englishman. Major from Colorado he was ok but that Higgens fucken stuttered a lot or hesitant with his words, sometimes just wanted to kick him in ass and say spit it out man. As for you yep just a half and half cali/Mn. accent simple to understand. Tim B. sounded like he was from Missouri. Shaw had that Missouri, Iowa and Nebraska accent and would of sounded normal if he didn't have the Missouri part. Koko sounded pretty good but had a little hillbilly accent to him. [Razz]

[ January 18, 2024, 09:45 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2024 08:48 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I admit, Higgins has a hesitation in his speech, I don't know what you would call it. But, ko ko, you might take him for english or something, I don't think upper Pacific coast has an identifiable accent but maybe? I think SoCal, includes me, have a bit of a lazy southern drawl. I've listened to my voice and I don't think I have an accent but I do sort of drawl or something? It's definitely cute and sophisticated. But TA talks Swedish, whether he knows it or not. That doesn't mean he is unintelligible, just that he talks a little funny.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2024 10:32 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Got a Gal here from Cali. she lived there most of her life. Think she lived in Van something, Van hyes. ?? She has strong accent but very easy to understand, it's just different. Maybe close to someone talking with half a cheese burger in there mouth. [Razz]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2024 10:08 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Van independent? It's just a section of the San Fernando Valley, which is a suburb of Los Angeles. There are two (possibly more) "valley's" associated with Los Angeles. The San Fernando Valley is a bit west and on the east side is the San Gabriel Valley.

Each valley contains a number of independent incorporated cities, just random, maybe 2 dozen or so in each; like Hollywood and Pasadena. You would never know, traveling between cities, basically, it's wall to wall suburbia.

Now, beyond that you have things like Canyon Country, a bit north and beyond that is the Antelope Valley. On the east side, past West Covina is the Pomona Valley and it's more or less where I live. More than 50 years ago it was citrus orchards, now its wall to wall single family housing, not entirely, there are apartment buildings and scattered trailer parks. But even the Pomona Valley has quite a few cities with a population approaching 200,000. Ontario, Rancho Cucamonga and Pomona just to name a few. Upland is much smaller, in area and population about 75,000. maybe 9-10 square miles? We used to be the Lemon Capital and still, there are a lot of Lemon Trees, I had 3 Lemon trees pulled up when we dug the pool, but when they subdivided, they made an effort to keep as many trees on the lots as possible to give it an established look.

You know, some people like the coast and some don't. All along the coast is continuous housing, most very pricy. So from San Diego past Long Beach and Santa Barbara, it's all populated, no open land at all.

It's 400 miles to San Francisco and that's another urban sprawl, inland, Oakland and Berkley and Marin County across the Golden Gate Bridge.

What's a bit interesting is that "coastal California" is Liberal Democrat and inland trends Conservative. From time to time there have been attempts to divide the state into 2, 3 or 4 separate states. That should shake up a few Easterners.

Good hunting.
El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2024 02:39 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Or mayhap she's from Van Nuys ?????? A little burb in the Valley of San Fernando, man.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2024 03:40 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
yes koko i think thats it.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2024 05:55 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah! That's what I wrote but then spell check inserted "Independent" which was some other correction and I failed to proofread it.

But yes, it's still in the San Fernando Valley. Anybody remember San Fernando ? Was it Red Skelton?

Good hunting. El Bee

Red, Fred?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2024 08:36 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Two seagulls, Gertrude & Heathcliff ...........
Genius who could be great without going to the gutter. [Cool]

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters