The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » HAPPY NEW YEAR! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2024 05:11 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of rocks?
I've gotten into rock hounding big time.
Always looking and finding.
Just tumble rocks now don't have any rock saws.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2024 05:54 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
all I know is they was picked up in Montana, wyoming, New Mexico and AZ.

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5063 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2024 11:02 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
First, I sort of doubt the market is real hot on used rocks, but I could be wrong? I pick up stuff when I'm out hunting and stuff them in my pocket. What I collect is worked rock, by primitive cultures like Clovis points, (never found one of those)

I watched a video of some dude back in Ohio that was sifting mud on the riverbank and he was finding "arrowheads" which is a much abused term. These things, being not very aerodynamic and as you might expect, they drop like a rock. Actual arrowheads are quite dainty, except for contact period iron points. Many would properly be called spear points. And, so what, they are so cool.

But there are a lot of faceted rocks used as scrapers and as crude knives for parting joints and cracking bones and they are what you might call one time tools and discarded where they were made and used. It's rather easy to recognize these tools when you know what you are looking for, mainly 3 converging facets that do not occur in nature. Out west, we have glassy rocks like Jasper and Chalcedony maybe some flint, and obsidian too. These make the finest cutting tools, sharp as a razor. Sometimes you can find a rock that will fill the hand, and it has one edge chipped into a tool point, easy to overlook.

Anyway, I am somewhat fascinated by what you can find just walking around with your finger up your nose. Also don't overlook stones that have been ground to shape, useful for fleshing and scraping hides. I've been told, in fact by Vic, who has explored anthills and found beads and small things like teeth and whatnot. Many things to be found, treasures, actually and all you have to do is be aware and look around.

In fact, some more recent items I have found, for example, a small bundle of straight creosote sticks pointed at one end and it appears to be a charm of some sort, it looks like either a bundle of arrows or spears. And, I have found carved pieces of wood in the shape of a serpent and one I have looks like either a bear or raccoon? You might find them cached in little caves or out croppings, maybe in packrat nests. You have to be in the right place to find potshards and I don't have a lot of interest but with sharp eyes they can be just laying around.

Especially after a rain. That's when arrowheads tend to stand out, all shiny. Be on the lookout for meteorites. Now, these things sell for serious money. One of the largest ever found was out at Old Woman Springs, east of Barstow. As I understand, the Feds confiscated the damned thing, I think it weighed hundreds of pounds and the guy that found it had to enlist help to retrieve it. He probably thought he could keep it but BLM had other plans. I wonder if they thanked him?

Enough rant for this morning
Good hunting. El Bee

Go Daddy is wanting more money. It's not worth it for the 3 of us but what the hell?

edit: ko ko can attest to one of my prize findings, it's an exquisite MORTAR AND METATE probably weighs 25 pounds. You would be hard pressed to stuff something like this in your pocket! lol

[ January 08, 2024, 11:10 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
NVWalt
Does not claim to be overly bright!
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2024 02:07 PM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
And of course those cool rocks you found were found on the many ranches you got to hunt on. It is nice to know a few ranchers as anything you find on BLM or State lands belong to them and you better not be picking up artifacts while out hunting. Better to let the cattle and feral horses and burros step on them and break them, than to retrieve them to share with people!!! Anything by man over 50 years old is indeed an artifact . So leave those rusty tin cans and barrel hoops you find out there alone. Just saying.

--------------------
Support Communism and help destroy the United States of America ! VOTE DEMOCRAT. "In the end, they aren't coming after me. They are coming after you!" D.Trump

Posts: 636 | From: Tellico Plains, TN | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2024 04:43 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You sound aggrieved, Sir? But yeah, if they want it, you have no status. Good thing that in the final analysis, nobody has any use for your treasured rock artifacts!

Or I will invoke ko Jo’s favorite excuse. I lost everything in a tragic boat accident! Baring that, have the NAZI’S DESCRIBE WHAT THEY LOST.

GOOD hunting. El Bee 🐝

[ January 09, 2024, 10:16 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

NVWalt
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2024 05:32 PM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
Your right Leonard. I have NO love at all for the BLM nor the USForest Service. Those bastards have shut down so many roads and access to us the American people and why? I also know many ranchers and their love of the BLM is on par with mine, in fact even worse.
But about points and worked stone you find out there it is pretty neat and to find trade beads etc is sure a great find also. Just like guys telling about shooting magpies etc. Just a case of mis-identification.. That was a barn pigeon or a starling.
I and the wife used to sit around out there when finished a days calling and chipped out "arrowheads" and left them laying around for people to find. It was fun to do if we were in an area we knew other people would be in.
So have a good year and please don't shut down the site as it is the only one I look at anymore. And occasionally rant and rave and enjoy what other like minded individuals have to say here.

--------------------
Support Communism and help destroy the United States of America ! VOTE DEMOCRAT. "In the end, they aren't coming after me. They are coming after you!" D.Trump

earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2024 03:42 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh LB, you're so far behind the times on rocks.
They are worth more than you think. Especially if the said rock is from shut down mine sites and the product is now limited to what someone can find from an old collector.

Also the shipping cost will kill a person if they want a fair amount or said rocks are big.

I have found some great colored green agates that look almost like jade. Sent a box to guy in N.C. he said if I wanted to sell minimum of $10 a pound.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2024 04:36 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I checked with DMV and none of you guys have ever owned a boat or know someone that does so now you got some explaining to do.

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2024 04:41 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I have what we call a aggie, reddish/brown type of rock about size of a silver dollar with white lines running through it to form all kinds of nice patterns. Value of it depends on how many pieces I can cut it into getting all of the pattern in that piece.

--------------------

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2024 07:39 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
" ............. ever owned a boat"

[Roll Eyes]

Wrong !!! I've just never registered it anywhere.
15' Ouachita canoe that I bought in 1968 after indenturing myself for a summer of slave labor.
As long as I don't put a motor on it I'm not required to register it. Without a motor, I get much needed exercise paddling the thing.
>>>>-------> Long ago I tossed the canoe paddle for a far more useful Kayak paddle that I use when sitting. Usually, I paddle standing up with a 5' paddle that I spliced together. [Cool]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2024 09:38 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
should put floats on the side so you don't tip over so much and lose your gear.

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2024 10:16 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

I once had a water safety game warden do a 360* around me 'cause he was sure that I had an outrigger on the canoe. He said that he had never seen anyone bowfish standing up in a canoe. I told him it was no big deal ..... he should see me flyfish.

The loss of all of my firearms was caused by a rouge wave that came out of nowhere. Totally unavoidable.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2024 10:29 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I will say this, Tim. That's something I used to find and collect when I was a kid in Minneesota-Agate! In fact, in my desk in the garage, right now, I can easily find an agate I found when I was about ten years old. It has kind of a star or eye shaped pattern, but I had a box full when I was a kid, this is the only one I saved.

Speaking of Jade. I have heard that divers have taken quite a bit of boulder Jade from along the central coast. If it is of jewel quality I don't know, but the Chinese are suckers for Jade. I never quite got it? I mean, it's okay but nothing to drool over. I guess it's easy to work, carve and polish and then you got something.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: I think it's a rogue wave, ko ko? Be careful out there!

edit: Yeah, Tim. You are some big help, floats/outriggers! Now that he has lost everything!

[ January 09, 2024, 10:35 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2024 03:07 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, 'rogue' wave. Big scary thing. [Eek!]
I have a super power !!!! No matter which way I go from the boat launch ....... I'll be fighting white-caps all of the way back.

El Bee; Package to arrive Fri. Don't let Tillie eat it.

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2024 03:56 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The loss of all of my firearms was caused by a rouge wave that came out of nowhere. Totally unavoidable.
Oh sure but most of the waters holes dried up so I'm sure you found them again.

--------------------

NVWalt
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2024 06:05 PM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
Those rogue waves can come from out of nowhere.
I was out on ancient Lake Lahonton one time and a rogue wave all of a sudden came up and swept me away and deposited me by one of my favorite hot springs. Go figure...Well maybe it was a rogue dust devil and I lost my way. Either way I ended up butt naked in one of my favorite hot springs. And they say strange stuff doesn't happen. Baloney, I say.Lol.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2024 09:03 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Walt. I know a few hot springs up there. Do you know Kyle Hot Springs? Near Unionville. It's a shame what's been done to it. There used to be 5 nice cabins, free to first come first served. There is one up in Denio that is scalding, do not even stick your hand in it, it's boiling!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

NVWalt
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2024 04:47 AM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
I do know Kyle and the ones around Denio. I have a book called Geothermal Resources from the Makay (sp) School of Mines that lists all the known hot spring resources in Nevada. The wife and I have gone to every one that you can get to and checked them out.
We had a suitcase with everything you needed to enjoy those springs and most importantly a thermometer. The ones that look so clear you can see the bottoms you need to be careful around as they may be boiling hot and also don't be walking around on any crusts as they are easily broken through and you will get boiled like a lobster or worse.
The ones that are close to towns of any size?? are usually trashed by local kids partying and idiot adults.
We, the wife and I had all over tans for sure.
Soldier Meadows was one of our favorites and the ranch foreman used to keep an eye on them as the ranch ended up as a B-N-B dude ranch and he would take wanna be buckaroos over there when they had them chase the poor dirt cows from one grazing area to another. He didn't care for going from a real buckaroo to baby sitter. Great guy though and he turned us on to some good spots to hunt. We were always welcomed there because we hunted coyotes.And I think he liked the wife LOL.

--------------------

NVWalt
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2024 04:50 AM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
That Unionville area had lots of badgers in the valley for some strange reason and some good fossil gathering places and on top of that a great place to go birding. All around a pretty neat ghost town.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2024 07:55 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of Unionville, which I barely know, but I've hunted the valley many times. But, there is a nice spring, with a washing machine cover to keep down the algae, about a mile easterly towards Granite mountain. That's the source of drinking water if staying at Kyle for any length of time.

There was an old cowboy that used to stay there for extended periods, for some reason, I can't recall his name right now, but the guy that told us about that place was a deputy called Bronco who we ran into in Lovelock. Is it Lymerick Pass? good lion population all around Star Peak.

I sure love it up there. And, you can fire a shot, and nobody hears it! Now, that's remote!

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: Old cowboy was called "Whitey"

[ January 10, 2024, 08:00 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2024 06:33 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I used to soak in a hot springs outside of Fields Ore. (Population 6) Fond memories of sitting in the springs during a snowstorm with a cigar, a bottle of wine and a harmonica. I could get the coyotes howling all the way to Burns.

[Big Grin]

Tim; The 'waterhole' where all of my firearms were lost was Roosevelt or possibly Alamo. I remember that it was during one of the Fireball Martini Festivals. Still deep water.

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 11, 2024 10:59 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
anyone heard of or know Glen Stilson from AZ. ??

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted January 11, 2024 11:43 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm drawing a blank, but the name does sound familiar?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 11, 2024 12:38 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Well from what I know he puts on defense classes and also a hunting rag writer and now puts on a coyote calling class. Going to fly here to MN. and put class on maybe for some hunt club. Thing is what is he going to teach if he never called coyotes here in MN.?

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 11, 2024 01:42 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Come on, Tim. That's like when I went to Africa and managed to call Jackals with stuff like Lightning Jack, which they don't have over there.

It's like a sort of universal distress sound. Ya know?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters