The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » This Old Jeep... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: This Old Jeep...
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted November 25, 2017 06:53 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
...is a shit heap.

My coyote huntin' rig I been trying to keep running.
(edit...I know theres a hunting rig forum down below, but oh well)
Mark

[IMG]  - 002 by Lonehowl, on Flickr[/IMG]

[ November 25, 2017, 06:55 PM: Message edited by: Lone Howl ]

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted November 26, 2017 05:21 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
That is one nice looking coyote wagon !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted November 26, 2017 06:23 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a sucker for shit heaps [Big Grin] .

Know what you mean about the trying to keep running part though. Mine is at "that age" and level of cumulative abuse.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 26, 2017 09:57 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I just sold my Dodge Power Wagon. Over 500,000 miles on it, had a lift kit and it has always gone through U joints like crazy because of the angles. The drum brakes require a lot of attention and they don't stop as well as we might like, but it's a '74.

However, in all those years, nothing was spared that might improve it as a hunting rig. Yes, you bet, selling it was almost an emotional experience. We both labored to get it loaded on the trailer, but I'm told it's running now.

A lot of coyotes died from that rig. Very high number, in fact. Yeah, I miss it but the maintenance became more than I wanted to deal with, so it's gone, permanently stationed in Elko, so you might just run into it once in a while, Dave. Always gets looked at, always has. Ive been told there is a photo on the bulletin board at Sells PD. Been photographed by California Fish and Game, too. And the Federal Rangers around Death Valley and East Mojave.

And, Mexicans loved that truck! I think they could see the possibilities.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted November 27, 2017 05:28 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Nice looking. But it isn't old at all.
I've got a cj2a to fix and get running one of these days. It's a 1947.

[ November 27, 2017, 05:29 AM: Message edited by: earthwalker ]

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Wiley E
Knows what it's all about
Member # 108

Icon 1 posted November 27, 2017 09:20 AM      Profile for Wiley E   Email Wiley E         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard: "And, Mexicans loved that truck! I think they could see the possibilities."

Haha! Too funny!

"Ok, come out with your hands up ... that means you....and you....and you....and you....and you....and you....."

Posts: 853 | From: Kadoka, S.D | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 27, 2017 09:34 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
If you saw "No Country For Old Men" it's those type of trucks they like. "RETRO"

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted November 29, 2017 08:50 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Nice looking Jeep, Mark. I have one same body style XJ, I think their called ?

I got mine about 10 years ago with a 100k on it, it's about 200k now. Runs strong & all that, however the last 4-5 years tons of electrical problems.

These are great on two tracks 'n such, easy to spin around. Great traction mine will climb about anything. I don't trust it much anymore, planning on taking it to Central Oregon soon. I'm starting to wonder if it's time to sell & get something else ?

I don't know ? something about these damn Jeeps. Kinda hard to let go ?

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 29, 2017 11:10 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Me, on the other hand, I always felt that Jeeps were much overrated. In the Army, I was the driver for the Platoon Leader Lt. Peterson, who was the only buddy I kept in tough with for more than 50 years until he died about 4-5 years ago. But I attended his funeral in Omaha, he was a good man.

Where was I? Oh yeah, we traveled many miles in that 1/4 ton. It was the most uncomfortable vehicle I've ever experienced, mainly due to the short wheelbase. We would scout routes for the construction crews to install their communication cables. Also, the friggin' jeep was the easiest vehicle to get stuck of any in the Army. The best, go anywhere vehicle was the deuce-n-a-half. Next was the 3/4 ton weapons carrier, a pick up style. But the damned quarter ton was always getting stuck and I had to be very creative to keep out of trouble. Also, FYI, German trees, even of you wind the cable around three close together, they will pull up by the roots and will not get you unstuck if it is even a little uphill. Them fucking Krauts made a fortune charging us for field damage and uprooting trees!

Good hunting. El Bee

PS then, they would follow behind us and cut the hocks for the brass salvage, rendering a quarter mile of spiral 4 cable worthless. Assholes! They lost, motherfuckers! Deal with it!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted November 29, 2017 11:39 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep...XJ. Mine is an 89. Which is much different engine wise than say, a 91 and up. They can be little bastards. 140,000 on it. Yes, you have to keep an eye on electrical shit for sure, especially like 96 and up I hear. You also have to pay very close attention to the cooling system on these, XJ's will overheat in a second, if you aint paying attention. The way the motor is packed in these things with no way for the heat to get out is crazy. I have some hood louvers Im going to put on before summer, and rip off the hood insulation while Im at it among other things. Lots-o-projects. Mine has lockers front and rear, comes in handy. Also, some black D window steelies and different tires are in order, someday. Im running 35's off of a JK right now, with 4.56 gears. Also looking for a roof rack, but dont want to spend an arm and a leg.

Im a Chevy and Toyota guy at heart, never really messed with Jeeps much, but this one fell into my lap a long while back...free basically..so i have embraced it and all its problems. I ran an old Toyota for years for all my calling adventures, 2 of them actually, then one bit the dust and somehow, I let my wife talk me into selling them! Never again! I need shit heaps in my life, to keep me happy.

Mark

--------------------

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted November 29, 2017 12:52 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
I do too. Need shit heaps in my life.

Bought my Son a '95 ZJ, here about eight years ago. It's been pretty low maintenance, really. I mean, it's needed the usual stuff, exhaust manifold, steering refresh to cure DW, CPS, water pump. But nothing dramatic.

I've had my LJ a dozen years now. A dozen rough years. I've used it HARD. And it's starting to show. So, I've got a shit heap in my life [Big Grin] .

Been daily driving a 100 series Landcrusier for many years now. An '02. It's been pretty bullet proof. But, when it does need attention, it's ALWAYS $$$$$. If I have to pick a wrench in anger on that Cruiser, it's gonna cost. Every time.

Ditto Tacomas. I think they are the best calling rig going, bar none. My partner Tim drives one, his Wife does too. So does my buddy Pete. A lot of the guys I wheel with roll Tacomas. They are very capable and very reliable. But because so many people I know wheel them, I have actually spent more time wrenching on Tacomas over the past few years than Jeeps, of which I own two. And, like my Cruiser, when they do need anything done, get out your wallet! They are easy to work on at least. Like Jeeps.

Big downside to them, is IFS. It has it's limitations, if you have any kind of budget restraints anyway. For most guys and most uses, it's really not a big deal. But, if you wanted to build a Tacoma or 100 Series to where it could follow my LJ if I was trying to lose you, it would cost a shit ton of money. A shit ton!

Very few guys have any need to build a Tacoma to that level though. The ones that do, are mostly smart enough to start with something besides a Tacoma, LOL!

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted November 29, 2017 01:01 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
BTW... Just yapping here, but...

I have thought the Tacoma is the best off the lot calling rig a guy could buy for a long time.

But! The new Colorado, with small diesel and lockers. It has no track record yet, so I'm still saying Tacoma. But, if the Colorado lives up to expectations, a couple years from now, I'll be saying it's the best off the lot calling rig a guy could buy.

On paper, it kills the Tacoma. Early reviews are all super good too. Time will tell. But it looks like the Tacoma might finally have some really serious competition. More than just competition.

- DAA

--------------------

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted November 29, 2017 01:06 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
'Had' a Jeep CJ-7 Laredo.
Bought it new.
Biggest piece of shit I've ever owned. In the shop as much as in my driveway.
Sold it with 13,000 miles on it & good riddance.
Bought a Toyota p/u & drove the wheels off of it.
Best per dollar investment I've ever made.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted November 29, 2017 01:29 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually had a 4x4 Taco long ago, loved it and not sure why I really got rid of it, but I did bust a wheel off one time in the desert...IFS front. What a nightmare.I was looking for a second gen 4runner all last year, and couldnt find one that suited me. If I did, the owner wanted a shit ton of money for it. Toyotas and Jeeps seem to hold their value thats for sure.

I like simple stuff. I have to say, if you dont mind wrenching a bit, an old Jeep is ok with me. Parts are available, pretty cheap, and not super hard to put on. Im not super mechanical, I can do basic stuff, so the simpler the better.

The only thing that burns my ass is California smog. Geezus...what a joke. Getting something old up to smog spec here can be a pricey endeavor.
Mark

--------------------

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted November 29, 2017 01:44 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
I've helped in getting several Taco's with busted off wheels back on their feet again [Big Grin] .

I really like how those ball joints bolt on when I'm working on them. Lot easier to deal with than the press fits on a Dana. But it's a weak point, for sure.

- DAA

--------------------

Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted November 29, 2017 02:49 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Got an 01 Tacoma, literally the best truck Ive ever had. Not as roomy as my old Chevy 4X4s, but sure can leave them behind when it comes to "getting out there".
Getting a lot of miles on it now, 246,000, and I absolutely hate wrenching, get my brother to do most of what it has needed, but he says it's going to need more than what he wants to piss with in the future.
Sure wish I could turn back the clock on it, for I sure as hell can't afford a new one.

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted November 30, 2017 11:13 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of Jeeps again...

Jeep unveiled the all new Wrangler yesterday. Looks like they did pretty good. Some decent improvements and didn't mess up too much of the old good stuff.

Still solid axle, body on frame, thank gawd. Bigger wheel well openings and a highline fender option that should fit 35's with no lift - that's bad ass. Diesel option. Eight speed autos, which is great, especially since they are giving them nice 4.7:1 first, that along with a slushy converter will make for some great crawl control. I love the eight speed in my Ram.

I'm more excited about the new six speed manual though, 5.7:1 low! The six speed in my LJ has like 4.24:1, and I've liked that pretty well - 2nd gear starts on flat ground running 35's. But mine isn't real beefy and is starting to show some wear. Need rebuilt or replaced eventually and I'm liking the prospects for just replacing it with this new six speed.

They beefed up the axle tubes, inner C's and knuckles on the front too. Which was badly needed. Ring gear is smaller though? Not a lot smaller, but still... Sure hope the ring gear isn't welded to the carrier like newer Ram's, that would suck. Makes changing R&P gears a major problem. And nobody leaves the stock gearing alone once they start messing with the rest of it, gears are the best bang for the buck there is to get some oomph back on big tires. Running 4.88's in my LJ only because of the six speed, if it was an auto I'd have put 5.37's in it.

- DAA

[ November 30, 2017, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: DAA ]

--------------------

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted November 30, 2017 11:17 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and doors still removable and windshield still folds down only they made it a lot easier to do. Those were two things I figured they'd probably leave behind. Glad they didn't! Jeep wouldn't be a Jeep if you couldn't take the doors off.

- DAA

--------------------

Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted November 30, 2017 12:54 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds awsome, and pricey!
Mark

[ November 30, 2017, 12:55 PM: Message edited by: Lone Howl ]

--------------------

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted November 30, 2017 01:10 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
I might be in the market for one. In about ten years [Big Grin] .

- DAA

--------------------

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted November 30, 2017 01:11 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
And by that I mean, waiting to buy a ten year old one, not waiting ten years to get a new one!

- DAA

--------------------

Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted November 30, 2017 04:15 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
20 for me lol

--------------------

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted December 01, 2017 04:51 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
My dad used to take me hunting in his WW II willys
I took my boys in a CJ 5 with a V-8 High rise manifold and a Holley double pumper, pass anything but a gas station. these days I'm in love with my little FJ cruiser . resale 90% of retail.

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 01, 2017 08:32 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had my eye on those things, Paul. Although, institutionally, I have a huge block when it comes to Toyota, but that one is growing on me. If I could get it it one of the rare colors, like dark green or maroon, maybe black. I forget, but anything but ugly blue. And, they do seem pricy. Tom Moore has one, all decked out with lights everywhere, big fucking tires and roof rack for Baja.

Good hunting

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 02, 2017 08:55 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I looked on line a bit. Yes, pricy. I'm not real keen on V6 aluminum engines. But they do have a certain Commando Cachet.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters