The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » This Old Jeep... (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: This Old Jeep...
MI VHNTR
I'm not shaving 'til Obama's gone!
Member # 3370

Icon 1 posted December 02, 2017 06:04 PM      Profile for MI VHNTR   Email MI VHNTR         Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like Fiat has copied Ford's lead with their new aluminum body Jeep Wrangler.

"With its traditional look, some might be surprised at the materials used to build the new Jeep. The doors, hinges, hood, fenders and windshield frame are made from high-strength aluminum, while the rear swing gate is made from magnesium (as predicted by some Allpar sources)"

https://www.allpar.com/SUVs/jeep/wrangler/2017.html

--------------------
The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting. It's about Freedom.

FJB Let's Go Brandon

Posts: 394 | From: MI | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted December 09, 2017 07:09 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Worked on the heap today. Put on a new harmonic balancer. Old one was coming apart, worked it way backwards and was scraping the timing cover. Good times!
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted December 10, 2017 05:31 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Noticed one of the bolts holding the transfer case skid to the frame had gone missing and another was on it's way yesterday. Fixed that. Really hoping nothing really needs serious attention until warmer weather. Hate working on stuff in the cold. Hate the cold. Period.

But motor mounts, come spring. Pretty sure they'll hang together until then.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 10, 2017 07:27 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Working a wrench in cold weather?

I remember a time with two other guys I'd never hunted with before. We were south of Rock Springs, Wyoming and the transmission on this Jeep Wagoneer type vehicle wouldn't move. It was amazing that we got a tow truck in a short time.

He left us in the middle of the cold night right in front of the Jeep dealer and we sat there. Then one of my buddies saw the exact same vehicle within feet of us and we almost had to tie him up with his harebrained idea to switch out transmissions with that poor innocent vehicle parked nearby.

Imagine, no jack below freezing temperatures and stealing a transmission? Include me out! After placating him for a while, the owner of our vehicle tried to get it going and what a miracle,
it started and engaged and we never had another problem with it all the way home.

But that man needs to be locked up for his own good! I've had enough, working on trucks in freezing weather over in Germany, no thank you! You know how you don't want to do something and eventually you get sucked into helping someone more eager than you? I just knew we would be frozen stiff by the time the sheriff showed up, better to wait for reasonable people to open for business in the morning.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: don't try this at home:
http://www.coolestone.com/media/18228/Pistol-Packin-Paula---She%27s-Just-A-Girl!/

[ December 10, 2017, 07:38 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted December 10, 2017 11:33 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty sure I am in love with Paula!!

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted December 10, 2017 11:41 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Back when I was young I think that was the Jurassic period I changed out a tranny in my forty nine ford f-1 In the Hughes market parking lot on the corner of Van Nuys Blvd. and Burbank Blvd. in the dark of night freezing my ass of record time about forty minutes. great truck flathead eight always reliable up to that particular Evening . ..

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted December 10, 2017 02:39 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, when you were young weren't Van Nuys & Burbank dirt roads ???????

[Big Grin]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 10, 2017 04:35 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, and they weren't named, like on the Papago. If you don't know where you're going on that res, you won't get there.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: which is why I had all my Geological Survey maps laminated! Do you know where Squaw tit Peak is? I do.

[ December 10, 2017, 04:36 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

243aaron
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4786

Icon 1 posted December 11, 2017 05:56 AM      Profile for 243aaron           Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome looking jeep! I had a 99 cherokee, that picture makes me miss it. Got it with 122k miles and beat the hell out of it until it had probably 215k ish. Had a fair amount of little things go wrong on it but overall it was a solid rig.
Posts: 17 | From: ND | Registered: Dec 2016  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2017 05:36 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of months ago I came very close to buying an '08 extended cab Taco with about 67000 miles. I rode and looked great. But damn with taxes and plates, etc we were over 18000 plus I would have had to put a camper top on it, another grand. I decided to keep using the Tahoe. Maybe in a couple years I'll get a 2014 or so Taco.

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2017 07:01 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Geezus.....my 23 year old son just pulled up in a 2018 4 door Wrangler, lifted with 33" Pro Comp tire/rims, all kinda shit. Traded his car in for it...said he feels more man-ly now.

Jeep shit. I swear.
Mark

--------------------

Aaron Rhoades
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4234

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2017 07:42 PM      Profile for Aaron Rhoades           Edit/Delete Post 
Pics??
Posts: 155 | From: Washington | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2017 08:33 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Never understood Jeep shit, myself? I drove a 1/4 ton all over Europe and that bitch had a ride that would put your back in traction, plus, it got stuck every time I got off pavement....or at least it seemed that way? There's a reason why the military puts a winch on the front. But, any who.

Oh yeah, there was that Jeep product I rented in Arizona a few years ago. I don't know, a station wagon looking thing, maybe a grand cherokee or something? I swear, south of Phoenix, pretty flat farm country, I pulled over a plowed berm on the left side and got high centered and stuck in soft dirt. And, I had nothing but a meat clever to dig myself out, (don't ask).

That was an unreasonable situation, in my book. In any truck I've ever had, I would have drove over that berm without a problem, not even thinking about it.

That's like why I'll never buy a Ford. I bought a '64 Fairlane 500 in 1966 and got a very good deal. Never been hard on gear but I put two more transmissions in that car before I got rid of it. I admit to rebuilding my Dodge's 727 trans, (which is bulletproof) because the torque converter blew up but that Ford, there was no excuse. I'm not a Ford man, what can I say?

end of rant
Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2017 09:06 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Ill slap a few pics on this evening when I get home.
My parents were Ford people all the way. My dad grew up racing Fords on the street and SoCal tracks. now though, in his late years, he seems to be a Dodge pickup guy?

I on the other hand...cannot stand Fords of any kind. I loved my dads 1971 Ford 4x4 pickup, grew up doing a lot of stuff in that thing, but every Ford they had after that I hated. I like the looks of the pickups but just couldnt make myself get one.
Mark

[ December 19, 2017, 09:08 AM: Message edited by: Lone Howl ]

--------------------

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2017 09:27 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn... How did he score so fast?!

I know three guys that ordered them the second dealers were able to and they don't expect to see theirs until next month at the earliest.

First JL delivery I've even heard about.

Congrats to him! And pics man, pics!

My 22 yo is still driving his '95 ZJ and says he'll keep it as long as he can.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2017 09:35 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, mines probly in over his head with this thing...but hey...he's manly now! Its a base package model, but still dang nice, from what I saw.

I have not even seen it in the daytime, just laid eyes on it the other night so when he swings by Im gonna take a test drive : )

[ December 19, 2017, 09:36 AM: Message edited by: Lone Howl ]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2017 11:24 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Jeeps, eh? I don't get it but hey, whatever blows your skirt up! [Smile]

I'm mainly with this man's Dad, it just killed me to sell my '74 Power wagon, but the member who bought it has big plans, and it already looks like he will surpass my body count before the wheels fall off. He sent me a photo and although I didn't count them, looked like 40/50 laying there, in the round.

But, ol' Dave, the one time I went with him, he got his Dodge 3/4 ton stuck pretty good, a worse predicament I've not seen in a while. We got caught in a melting seep, but I was surprised. I won't even get into what it took to get us out of there.

Anyway, I've been driving this 2004 Titan since they first came out and generally, it's been a good truck. The two previous Datsun/Nissan's I've owned, I sure drove them bastards 'til they gave up. It's like the Ford/Chevy argument, You are either a Toyota man or a Nissan man, and never any back and forth.

If I get another truck, it will be a Nissan or a Dodge. Fords and Toyotas are not under consideration, although I'm sure they make great vehicles, they just aren't for me. In a weak moment, I might buy a Chevy, probably?

The only Toyota that has caught my interest lately is Paul's and Tom Moore's FJ cruisers. I really pay attention when I see one on the street. There is a dark green and a sort of Maroon color that seems acceptable, also a dark blue that I wasn't even aware of, I thought they only had that garish Royal blue. But that mustard color sucks, don't like white either. The green gets my vote but my titan's still running, more than 13 years now, could use a little paint, that AZ pin striping is getting out of hand. Not so good on gas, I admit.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2017 11:43 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a Jeep thing Leonard. If it has to be explained, then you wouldn't understand anyway.

Though, honestly, I try and avoid all brand loyalty. Could give a crap about truck brand, for instance. Whatever looks to work best, don't care who makes it. Cars? I have no preference.

But the Jeep Wrangler, yeah, it's a thing. Removable top and doors. Big part of the secret sauce. Jeep was very wise to keep that in the newest. Not an easy or cheap thing to do with crash safety standards to consider.

I wasn't surprised we got stuck there. Was scared to death to drive in there, by the time we tried to leave, that was pretty much what I thought was going to happen...

I owned two of those 3/4 ton diesels. Worst off road rigs ever invented...

- DAA

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2017 12:48 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
If I know I am about to get in trouble, like that seep that Dave got stuck in, I would put the pedal to the metal and blast through. But, I didn't understand the danger like he did. We might still be there, without help? You know when you have sticky mud and you need to bang the shovel on a rock to get the mud to release? Makes for really difficult digging.

Another one is really fine mud silt, usually when a flash flood crosses your escape.

I have had to dig down to the roadbed before with wind blown fine sand. Dug down to the door handles, in fact, scooping sand with my hands under the truck as it sank, and the powder was full of those little white scorpions, and I'm lying in it.... and it was starting to rain! Had to dig a path in front, on the road and angle to the side to get the hell out of there. I wasn't driving, but my stupid cousin STOPPED, to downshift! Next stop was straight down to the axles! I could have choked him! Four hours later, we were out of trouble....until he got the ignition wet! My blood pressure's up just thinking about that one!

OK Dave, I accept "a Jeep thing". Like these guys that shoot an Encore or an AR, I don't understand it but I accept it. The world would be very dull if we all agreed. But, I will tell you one thing. Jeep people sometimes lose sight of the objective, more concerned with the challenge of the terrain, rather than the hunt.
I never lose track of how far I have to walk OUT of trouble. When I engage 4 wheel drive, I ponder the situation and look for a better way. If I need to leave it in 4 wheel, due to general deteriorated conditions, I take no more risk and when doubtful, it's full speed ahead. By now, I'm a pretty good driver in bad shit; meaning I do not often get stuck. But, some people, like my kid, he thinks he's driving a friggin' tank that will go anywhere! But, I've seen that, and that's why the Army has such things that are called "TANK RETRIEVERS". Caution is the key word. And, recognize what will be a problem before getting into it! edit: even if you have to get out and walk up to problems before driving into it.

End of sermon.
Good hunting. El Bee

[ December 19, 2017, 12:56 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2017 07:29 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, this is a late 2017, NOT a 2018, I mispoke. but, pretty nice regardless. Flikr is not wanting to upload pics tonight apparently so this is all I got.
Mark

[IMG]  - 002 by Lonehowl, on Flickr[/IMG]
 - 003 by Lonehowl, on Flickr

--------------------

Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2018 07:48 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Nother Jeep shot...just cause.
Mark

[IMG]  - 001 by Lonehowl, on Flickr[/IMG]

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters