The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » .204? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: .204?
Moe
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted July 15, 2014 09:14 AM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
"Well, actually, hell yeah I'm into Beer, Cigars and Coyotes."

Can't drink much beer anymore but I'm always up for cigars and coyotes.

Nice video.

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
Q-Wagoner
FREE TRIAL MEMBERSHIP
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted September 05, 2014 09:55 AM      Profile for Q-Wagoner           Edit/Delete Post 
on paper it shouldn't kill as good as it does. in the field I don't have any complaints. I haven't lost any coyotes that I wouldn't have otherwise with other cartridges. the Swift is still king but the 204 is a pleasure to shoot.

Good hunting.

Q,

Posts: 617 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 05, 2014 11:35 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, there is some strong "cachet" attached to the 220Swift. I began shooting a Swift in 1975 when Ruger first came out with it. I had just had my 6mm stolen and had exactly two animals under my belt with a pre '64 Model 70 that belonged to a partner. But, from that point forward, even to this day, I have more kills with a Swift than all others combined. I still have a stock Ruger Swift, don't actually use it much, the throat being a little long, but it is my "Loaner" rifle and everybody seems to do okay with it.

It's hard to beat, for sure, but I have two 22-250AI that out perform the Swift, by a lot.

And, that's the other thing. Somebody in this thread mentioned 52gr. bullets and I always preferred the Speer gold match when you could get them. But, since the throat is eroded in this Swift, I have been using the 63gr. semi pointed Sierra spitzer. It gets the job done, but (realistically) it's more or less a 300 yard gun. But, that's not a handicap in most of Arizona.

Good hunting. El Bee

PS welcome back, Quinton. You have been missed.

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31456 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Q-Wagoner
FREE TRIAL MEMBERSHIP
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted September 05, 2014 12:37 PM      Profile for Q-Wagoner           Edit/Delete Post 
there are definitely better performers out there than the 220 swift. It still stands as a benchmark though. Most all of the hot rods are always compared to it much like every new tactical scope that hits the market is compared to the Schmidts. Just shy of it's 80th birth day the old Swift is on shaky legs but still considered "The King"

Long live the King.

Good hunting.

Q,

[ September 05, 2014, 03:05 PM: Message edited by: Q-Wagoner ]

Posts: 617 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 05, 2014 03:02 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
No argument there. There really is "magic" in some cartridges, and their names. And, "Swift" has as much "magic" as any of them; more than most.

Besides the fact that I get quite a lot more velocity from either of my 22-250Ackly's or the 22-243Middlested, a very substantial PLUS is the fact that they don't need trimming to length like the Swift. Two of the worst cartridges I have ever hand loaded, as far as stretching is concerned, is 270Winchester and 220Swift. That doesn't make them "shit", it's just something that needs to be done.

Hey, have you been teaching AR anything he don't already know? Just kidding! He's a pleasure to hunt with!

Good hunting. El Bee

[ September 05, 2014, 03:03 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31456 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters