The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » .204? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: .204?
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted July 12, 2014 03:51 AM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
One quick point. Both my guns in the .204 were at least 24 inch barrels and my load produced right at 4000 fps in both. If a guy were to shoot a short barrel or slower load you aren't going to get the same results I suppose. If your gun or load were producing way less fps and energy you would likely get .223 results.

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted July 12, 2014 03:54 AM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
LB, there is never any dust on your opinion on what kills coyotes and I have always agreed with your thoughts and results. That being said, I still have to sing the praises of the .204 . Even on marginal hits I have had better than average results.

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted July 12, 2014 05:22 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
My 22" barrel gives me 3919 fps with TAC and the 35 Bergers and I did safely work up to right at 4000 fps but backed off. The 40 gr factory load runs 3683 fps.

My last 204 was a Contender with a 22" barrel and I don't think I ever reached 3700 fps with the 35 Bergers, that most likely is the difference Cal.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moe
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted July 12, 2014 04:15 PM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
Back in the 60's my backup rifle for my 22-250 was a Remington 722 in 222. With the help of Sierra Bullets who were in Santa Fe Springs and a block away from where I worked I started having great results with the rifle. Also, learning the capabilities of the cartridge added greatly to that success. I learned to keep my shots to about 175 yards if I wanted a sure kill.

Now remember I said that one friend used the 39 gr Blitzkings and has great success with his 204. Tim kills the hell out of a bunch of coyotes and bobcats every year and shoots the 204 almost exclusively. I'm just not Tim. I prefer some additional firepower.

I can see the thing about love/hate for the 204. As soon as someone mentions it a great debate begins and some guys really feel slighted. What I said is in my hands it doesn't do so well. I think I shoot pretty much as good as the next guy but maybe that isn't so or maybe I'm holding my mouth wrong. When I'm shooting my 22-250 I anchor what I've shot so I will continue to shoot it.

I bought the 204 because I had the money at the time. The CZ and the Ruger are just what I like in a calling rifle. Light weight and accurate. It just didn't work out for me.

BTW, I have a Sako Vixen 222 Mag and love it. I shoot 50 grain Sierra Sptzer Blitz bullets in it and it really plants coyotes.

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted July 12, 2014 07:59 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Sako rifles.....Ive been sort of lusting after one latley for some reason? Never had one..are they really that good? I hear some guys rave about em.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
6mm284
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted July 13, 2014 03:43 AM      Profile for 6mm284           Edit/Delete Post 
Have killed them dead at over 400 yds with 204 and had them get up and run off at 40 yds 32 and 40 grain vmax. I now double tap them if possible. 204 is what it is and is worth trying although it took quite a few years to talk myself into buying one. There are shots i hesitate to take that would not even be a question with other calibers. As far a praire dogs 204 is my favorite.

Lone howl, i have a number of sakos L461 and L 579. I think they are one of the finest factory rifles you can buy. Excellent action, machine work, and finish.Hope you find a nice one they are getting very hard to find.

[ July 13, 2014, 03:47 AM: Message edited by: 6mm284 ]

Posts: 198 | From: N46 06 E91 11 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
NVWalt
Does not claim to be overly bright!
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted July 13, 2014 03:51 AM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting, this 204. I've been using a 17 Rem for the past 8 years or so with those little 25 gr hp Hornady's and unless you slop shoot one it kills em pretty dead with little or no fur damage. Have been around tac 20's and 204's and some guys shoot well and others don't. The ones that hit their mark don't seem to have a problem and the ones that don't have a mess on their hands.Had the same experiance with 223's and 6mm's and 243's and my 22-250's. Seems to me that it's the shooter not so much the round. Of course I could be mistaken, as usual, but that's my take on it for what little it is worth....

--------------------
Support Communism and help destroy the United States of America ! VOTE DEMOCRAT. "In the end, they aren't coming after me. They are coming after you!" D.Trump

Posts: 636 | From: Tellico Plains, TN | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted July 13, 2014 06:19 AM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
I really like the 204 Ruger. I have a factory CZ sporter and a semi-custom Rem 700 with a Shilen 1-10 twist. Between it and my 17-204, I am not sure which I like best? Don't believe I have killed anything past 300 yards with either, usually called in critters.

I use 30gr bullets in the 17 and 35 Bergers in the 204 exclusively.

I do tend to prefer the 17 out west, they seem easier to kill, like what Randy says, and the 204 or my 22-250 AI gets grabbed most often here in Missouri, haven't tried it yet in Ohio.

I had a cz varmint in 204 rechambered to 20 var-targ, but haven't killed much, only a few groundhogs with it. More fun than the 221 fireball

[ July 13, 2014, 06:24 AM: Message edited by: DanS ]

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Moe
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted July 13, 2014 01:25 PM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure you're right, Walt. A 22-250 may just make a sloppy shooter out of s guy. I don't give a rip about fur, just a kill. I've heard a lot of guys say they've had a lot of run offs with their 22-250's but that hasn't been my experience. I went to the 22-250 from a 243. The going bullet back then was the 75 gr Sierra Spitzer and while we didn't have a lot of run offs we did have a lot of animals knocked down that required some trailing and shooting again. When I started shooting the 22-250 that stuff stopped. I used a 52 grain Sierra BTHP in front of 37 grains of Dupont IMR 4895 and it made a mess of whatever it hit. Even a bad hit was a kill.

Sako rifles........, yeah, IMO they're the best but the quality depends on the importer. Firearms International imported my guns but Garcia, the guys who imported the Mitchell 300 reels took over about 1970 and while the guns were still high quality they were different. If you're looking for an older on look of a FI gun. Baretta is now the importer and i understand the new Sako 85's are top notch. I've been scheming on how to justify spending almost two grand for one, myself.

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted July 14, 2014 03:37 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
From my experience with the .204 ruger it has been a great little coyote killer and very good fur gun. Very few runners from what I've seen and that almost exclusively with the 35 grain Bergers . I shot it for a few years until i built my .17 Tactical and started shooting the 30 grain Kindler gold. Which is in my opinion is a far superior setup. Better bullet B.C, more energy just as fast and even easier on fur. That is the only reason i don't shoot the .204 as my fur gun anymore. Now if i just want a coyote dead and don't care about the fur i always reach for my .22-250 AI and 60 grain Bergers.

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 14, 2014 05:32 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Considering the above post. As far as I can see, what he is saying is, yeah a 204 will kill a coyote.

But, when you have some version of 17 and a 22-250Ackley, who needs it?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted July 14, 2014 06:00 AM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a stand where I was shooting the 204AI.

Kills em pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkWUll0ilGQ

Stay after them
Kelly

Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted July 14, 2014 06:13 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep Leonard that's exactly what I'm saying. But its got to be a hot rod 17 with high B.C bullets. [Wink]

[ July 14, 2014, 06:18 AM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 14, 2014 06:30 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm waiting for the `Being Kelly Jackson` movie to come out !!!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Jackson
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted July 14, 2014 07:27 AM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
It would be pretty boring KOKO unless you are really into Beer, Cigars and Coyotes.
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted July 14, 2014 07:41 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
What a great video...I am on board for the coyotes and beer, don't do cigars, though! Nothing against you doing them...I might be up for a pinch of Skoal! [Smile]

Question, Kelly...what kind of dogs do you have, and were you a bit concerned when your dog was out of sight, over the little rise, with that pair?

Looks like a ton of fun!!!

[ July 14, 2014, 07:42 AM: Message edited by: booger ]

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Jackson
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted July 14, 2014 08:10 AM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
Booger – yes I am always concerned.
Peach is one of my dogs, she is the smaller one and is a Mt Cur. Cal has a litter mate to her.
Showing some young dogs some coyotes right now that are Cur/Jadg crosses. They are doing ok, time will tell if they have the brains to figure out the game.

Jeff’s dog Spot is a Catahoula. Jeff likes to film and does a real good job of it.
kj

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted July 14, 2014 09:13 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent stuff, Cat Daddy!
Man, them coyotes can sure vanish into that broom weed, or whatever its called.
Great job on the camera, Jeff!

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted July 14, 2014 10:52 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Loves me some KJ calling vids! Awsome!
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted July 14, 2014 01:46 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Great stuff Kelly! That was fun to watch.

Thanks for posting it.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 14, 2014 03:37 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Lookit! LoneHowl and Lonny! It's getting scary.

Oh yeah, talk about scary. Did I just see cat daddy with a conventional non AR "platform"?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kelly Jackson
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted July 14, 2014 04:04 PM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
LB - I messed up and built a 243AI a few years back, its been all down hill for the AR's ever since.

Thanks guys, but Jeff did all the work, finding the land, filming, editing and such. I just showed up with my dog, a call and a rifle. We had a good weekend hunt and I got to shoot 17 coyotes.

Headed out the door to put another one in front of the young dogs.

Yall stay after them.
Kelly

DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted July 14, 2014 04:08 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It would be pretty boring KOKO unless you are really into Beer, Cigars and Coyotes.
Well, actually, hell yeah I'm into Beer, Cigars and Coyotes.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted July 14, 2014 04:28 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Umm, yeah, I thought it was a trick question?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 15, 2014 03:58 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
There's other stuff besides coyotes ???
I didn't get the memo.
[Eek!]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters