The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » What is the process to have a bolt gun built? (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Author Topic: What is the process to have a bolt gun built?
Rifleshooter
Knows what it's all about
Member # 3983

Icon 1 posted October 21, 2014 07:14 AM      Profile for Rifleshooter           Edit/Delete Post 
Try painting the bullets on another rifle of the same type and see what they look like. The ejector needs to be removed to get an accurate reading on the painted bullets, are the bullets consistently marked 360 or just about half?

--------------------
The pen is mighter than the sword, but is no match for a Colt.

Posts: 29 | From: CA-AZ-MT | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Aaron Rhoades
Member # 4234

Icon 1 posted October 21, 2014 07:37 AM      Profile for Aaron Rhoades           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, I talked to the smith yesterday, he wants it back so he can take a look with bore scope. As far as neck turning, our loaded round measures .197 and our reamer has a .200 neck.
Posts: 155 | From: Washington | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged
Aaron Rhoades
Member # 4234

Icon 1 posted October 21, 2014 07:48 AM      Profile for Aaron Rhoades           Edit/Delete Post 
Rifle shooter, my brother tried that last night with the other rifle in this thread and got the same thing I have as shown in the pictures. His are also seated .010 off the lands. When I ran those 6 rounds through, I loaded them in the mag and cycled them through with the bolt with the ejector still in place. Not sure what the results mean.
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 21, 2014 08:02 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the question above pertains to a chamber sloppy enough that the cartridge only has a slight gap on one side, scratching half and not touching the other half. Can't tell from the photos what the back side looks like?

Anyway, it's not a tight neck issue, based on your numbers. But what's the reason for the blown primer? Whatever it is, it's a serious issue, in my book.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Prune Picker
AR Forum Assistant Moderator-handgun GURU and dispenser of sage advice
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted October 21, 2014 11:39 AM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron, Can you post a picture of the bolt face with the bolt removed from the rifle? I would like to look at the ejector, it's been awhile since looking at a Tika rifle. If the ejector is similar to a Rem 700 (spring loaded)and mounted in the bolt it's possible that brass has flowed into the channel and it's stuck, causing a false headspace problem and blowing primers. I'm just going thru a check list of possible causes and trying to eliminate them one by one.

--------------------
mike

Posts: 1265 | From: "Oklahomie" | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Aaron Rhoades
Member # 4234

Icon 1 posted October 21, 2014 12:08 PM      Profile for Aaron Rhoades           Edit/Delete Post 
I sure can mike, it will be a little while though. After I get done working.
Aaron Rhoades
Member # 4234

Icon 1 posted October 21, 2014 07:29 PM      Profile for Aaron Rhoades           Edit/Delete Post 
 -
 -

Prune Picker
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted October 21, 2014 08:11 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron that's what I/we needed to see. If you have a blunt ended piece of dowel or something flat that is small enough to press against the ejector (the round object located inside the bolt cut out) press it and see if it slides back into the bolt, it should take some effort to compress it. If it's too difficult, put the bolt body in a padded vise and tell us if it willingly compresses or not. I will wait for an answer.

--------------------
mike

Aaron Rhoades
Member # 4234

Icon 1 posted October 21, 2014 08:15 PM      Profile for Aaron Rhoades           Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, I did what you said with a fingernail and it does take a bit of effort but it does move. I also pulled the bolt on my .243 tikka to compare and they seem the same.
Prune Picker
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted October 21, 2014 08:46 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry bout that my wi fi connection took a time out. Next thing to try is take a piece of unprimed brass and see if it slips under the extractor lip. It will look crooked because of ejector spring pressure. Let me know how that looks. Then if your camera is handy take a few pics of the back sides of you 3 locking lugs to see if they have galled.

--------------------
mike

Aaron Rhoades
Member # 4234

Icon 1 posted October 21, 2014 09:00 PM      Profile for Aaron Rhoades           Edit/Delete Post 
Three locking lugs? Do you mean 2? I think I'm going to hit the sack for tonight, to be continued.

[ October 21, 2014, 09:00 PM: Message edited by: Aaron Rhoades ]

Prune Picker
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted October 21, 2014 09:33 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
My wi fi or ? is screwing up again, I tried logging in with my cell phone but it's screwy also.
Anyways regardless if it has 2 or 3 lugs, when you get a chance take some photos of the back sides of the locking lugs, just to see if there is any galling and or lug set back. If that is ok, it probably eliminates everything but the barrel and chamber as a source of your problem anytime tomorrow is fine.

--------------------
mike

Aaron Rhoades
Member # 4234

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2014 05:47 AM      Profile for Aaron Rhoades           Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, I really appreciate all the help from everyone trying to figure this out.
Aaron Rhoades
Member # 4234

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2014 05:56 AM      Profile for Aaron Rhoades           Edit/Delete Post 
From what I can tell, just some wear marks, no galling.
 -
 -

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2014 08:08 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I don't see any problem with the bolt? You could use a Sharpie on the back side of the lugs, then close the bolt and work the handle up and down a few times, which should give you a good idea of equal engagement, both lugs. But, that has little to do with blown primers, or missing the paper.... Besides, you can't get brass flow underneath the ejector or extractor, already there; before the first shot? Then, yes, with a blown primer, it behooves one to check the bolt face, very carefully.

I'm not "getting this" with what we have, thus far?

SUM TING WONG

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rifleshooter
Member # 3983

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2014 10:25 AM      Profile for Rifleshooter           Edit/Delete Post 
To check for a carbon ring in the area of the lead of the barrel/chamber You need to push a dry patch slowly from the muzzle end in a dirty barrel. If you do it on a clean barrel there is less feel. SLOWLY push it thru the barrel, if there is a carbon ring you will feel resistance just before it goes into the chamber

Try some 30 grain berger or Golds with a starting load.

--------------------

Aaron Rhoades
Member # 4234

Icon 1 posted October 23, 2014 06:53 PM      Profile for Aaron Rhoades           Edit/Delete Post 
I brought the gun to the smith today, I think he figured out part of the problem. Firing pin protrusion was .089 I think he said. He is going to keep it for a while and run a bore scope through it and see what he can find.
Duckdog
Member # 3842

Icon 1 posted November 17, 2014 12:17 PM      Profile for Duckdog           Edit/Delete Post 
Any news on this Aaron?
Posts: 205 | From: Ks | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Aaron Rhoades
Member # 4234

Icon 1 posted November 17, 2014 08:16 PM      Profile for Aaron Rhoades           Edit/Delete Post 
No sir, its at the gunsmith and has been for 3 weeks, haven't heard a thing. I really hate to bother him but I might have to I guess. Last I heard was he is going to borrow a borescope and look at it.
Rifleshooter
Member # 3983

Icon 1 posted November 18, 2014 12:59 PM      Profile for Rifleshooter           Edit/Delete Post 
Some friendly advice.. Get a new "gunsmith" They are NOT all created equal. This guy don't even have a bore scope? Unheard of.

--------------------

DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted November 18, 2014 02:24 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
^^^^^^^^ What he said.

And, unfortunately, all too common. I think I mentioned that earlier in this thread.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aaron Rhoades
Member # 4234

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2014 10:40 PM      Profile for Aaron Rhoades           Edit/Delete Post 
I think we may have the problem figured out. First I called Douglas and asked what their bore dimensions are supposed to be, they said .168 on the lands and .172 on the grooves with a tolerance of .0002. I slugged the barrel today as well as ran a bullet through and did a chamber cast and this is what I ended up with. These were measured with 3 digital calipers and 2 manual micrometers and all the numbers jived +- a very little bit. Note the almost impossible to see lands.
 -
Lead slug
 -
Black Hole 30gr bullet
 -
Chamber cast
 -

DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted December 20, 2014 07:06 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
.002 under on the bore is waaaay out of line. Throw in being just rough, too, and I do believe you've solved it. Might get away with it in a .17 Fireball but not a high intensity round like the .17-204. And those grooves do look awful shallow from here, too, even for a .17.

Bad barrel... That sucks.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
KaBloomR
Member # 4252

Icon 1 posted December 20, 2014 07:41 AM      Profile for KaBloomR           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have a good selection of .17 bullets at this time to compare, but the bullets you have sure seem to be on the small size for diameter? The 20 & 25 grain Hornadys that I just mic'd are .172 and .1725 respectively.

--------------------
"It always gets a helluva lot worse before it gets any better"

Posts: 302 | From: Utah | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged
Aaron Rhoades
Member # 4234

Icon 1 posted December 20, 2014 07:53 AM      Profile for Aaron Rhoades           Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure what you mean? The bullet pictured measured exactly .172 before I ran it down the bore, it now measures .1705 or a restriction of .0015.

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters