The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » What is the process to have a bolt gun built? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Author Topic: What is the process to have a bolt gun built?
jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2014 03:37 AM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I would also say that when a 223 should be limited to 150 yards, that is spot on.
You have to take into account, I have only killed a few itty bitty AZ coyotes with my .223s, and there have been 1 or 2 that would argue that limit.
Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
DiYi
Wears wife's pink panties under his camo for good luck. (yeah, right!)
Member # 3785

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2014 04:34 AM      Profile for DiYi           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd never use a Smith you don't know well yourself or who's work you haven't seen and preferably used yourself.At least actually picked it up,looked it over,etc.
And,if there's any chance at all try meet in person and go over exactly what you want with him.

Posts: 623 | From: SoDak | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Aaron Rhoades
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4234

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2014 06:20 AM      Profile for Aaron Rhoades           Edit/Delete Post 
I talked to benchmark, they said they pretty much wouldn't do a .17. Said its too hard to lap, have to constantly clean them, hard to find cleaning tools and supplies. Its too bad, I really wanted to try one of their barrels as they are fairly close to me.
Posts: 155 | From: Washington | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged
Aaron Rhoades
Member # 4234

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2014 06:25 AM      Profile for Aaron Rhoades           Edit/Delete Post 
Anyway, where I'm at now is I want to build this off a Tikka action so I'm looking for a T3 .204 or .223. Another question is, is there any way to get the bolt lift to 60* like a sako trg using a T3 action? My cousin has a sako trg and I really like the quickness of it.
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2014 06:42 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
The only thing I have heard about short bolt lifts, in general is they lack mechanical advantage and can be extremely difficult to open with warm to hot loads. Other than than, it's a Ford/Chevy question on Tikkas. Don't they have a sloppy removable recoil lug? Anyway, I'm not much of a fan, Tikka or Browning, stick to Remington.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2014 06:46 AM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
Duck - It was a brand new barrel from Shilen. I am not sure what the issue was with that 1st barrel. IF I can find someone close with a .17 cal borescope I am going to check it out. It had to have a rough spot in it somewhere. After I rechambered, that barrel would poof 25gr Bergers running 3900. Only about half of them would make the target. So I pulled the barrel and bought a .20 cal barrel off the site Vic suggested in October of 2012. Rented a 204AI reamer cause folks told me it was a waste of time to AI a 204. For me I found it to be a good deal. It will run a 40gr Berger at 4100 without issues. Currantly I am shooting a 38gr Unmussig bullet that DAA turned me on to. I like how it works in the 204AI. Also if I had the 17-204 reamer to do again, I would have made it an AI....I hate to trim brass.
Little long winded, sorry bout that.
Kelly

edit to add. Just got 1200 .224 80grAmax in. Should have a barrel chambered and screwed on this weekend for a real fire breather...lol

[ January 10, 2014, 07:01 AM: Message edited by: Kelly Jackson ]

Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2014 07:41 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
Are they making A-Maxes again? Dan said they would by the end of the year.
Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Jackson
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2014 09:09 PM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
found some in an out of the way spot.
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted January 11, 2014 03:27 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Midway is allowing us to back order the 75 Amax's again. That has been a sign of they're in the works on other things.

Kelly, Billy is wanting another 204 and was quizzing me on the 204ai. I told him I didn't think it'd be worth it, clearly I was wrong. Tell me more...

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Jackson
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted January 11, 2014 06:51 AM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom call me. If Billy is still shooting a AR, I got a 204 upper that Danny built. I would sell it.

On the 204AI pretty straight forward. Got some Norma brass, loaded my old load of H4895 with 35gr to fireform. Then worked up to 29.5grs with 40gr Bergers. Shot that combo last year and it worked pretty good. Talked to Dave a bit about what he was shooting in his 20-250 and he said the 38gr Ummussig. That bullet with a 26" 9 twist Pacnor has worked real good for me so far, but you know me I seem to be able to find a hole in most things. lol.

[ January 11, 2014, 06:54 AM: Message edited by: Kelly Jackson ]

Aaron Rhoades
Member # 4234

Icon 1 posted February 25, 2014 03:44 PM      Profile for Aaron Rhoades           Edit/Delete Post 
Moving forward with this, I dropped off the donor with the smith today. Anyone know where to find a .17-204 reamer to rent?
Prune Picker
AR Forum Assistant Moderator-handgun GURU and dispenser of sage advice
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted February 25, 2014 05:52 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
"White Rock Tool & Die", use to rent reamers and gauges for a very reasonable fee, seems like they are located somewhere in the North West. I'm sure a google search is in order. I have had good luck with "Clymer" reamers but it's been a few years since I've bought anything from them, maybe they rent(?).

--------------------
mike

Posts: 1265 | From: "Oklahomie" | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Prune Picker
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted February 25, 2014 07:16 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron,

White Rock Tool and Die. (Reamer Rentals)
6400 N. Brighton Ave.
Kansas City, Mo. 64119
No Phone number found in the paperwork I have on hand.

Clymer Manufacturing (Reamers Made to Order)
1645 West Hamlin Road.
Rochester Hills Mich, 48309-3312 USA
(248) 853-5555

--------------------
mike

Aaron Rhoades
Member # 4234

Icon 1 posted February 26, 2014 08:57 AM      Profile for Aaron Rhoades           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mike.
Aaron Rhoades
Member # 4234

Icon 1 posted July 20, 2014 09:35 PM      Profile for Aaron Rhoades           Edit/Delete Post 
After a disaster with PTG, I got the correct reamer and now its time to bring the rest of the parts to the smith. I bought a Douglas 9 twist barrel with Atlasworx bottom metal and a B&C stock. Hope to have it back before the season starts. Anyone care to share some load data?
Prune Picker
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted July 21, 2014 01:47 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron, look on accurateloading.com I haven't any personal info to share or I would but ignore any and all maximum loads, at least until to know what you have ie: headspace, OAL, bullet construction etc. Pay attention to your fired cases, a Sharpie marker can be your best friend! number each case and record for record each and every round you fire at least until you find the right load(s) that you work up. Buy a chronograph if you don't have one and take the time to use it. Don't be afraid to ask here for help I have read some very good solid info here and personally appreciate every ones input.

--------------------
mike

Duckdog
Member # 3842

Icon 1 posted July 23, 2014 08:49 PM      Profile for Duckdog           Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron,
My load work started and ended with Big Game powder.I got the speed and accuracy I was looking for with BG, so I haven't tried anything else.

If you run BG, I think I'd start somewhere around 25 and work up. But, be cautious as you work up.
I know Dave(Bucks) and I were running real close to the same load, without showing any of the "normal" pressure signs, but primer pockets were going to shit fast.
So,...no hard fast rule here, but I think I'd consider 28g of BG a max load.
I was running a little hotter than that, but I was also only getting 2-3 loads out of Norma brass too. Was it the Norma brass? I don't know...

I did recently buy some Nosler 204 brass, but I also backed off of that load too, so I guess I'll never know. The Nosler brass sure LOOkS good though! [Smile]

As a matter of fact, just today, I loaded up a handful of the recently backed down load so I could take them to the range to see how they grouped and to see if they printed the same as the faster load so I could just hunt through the transition without having to re-site...
They did... [Smile]

I run moly bullets in this rig, so I'm not real big on cleaning it. This tube has over 200 shots through it and I've never cleaned it.

That's a 5 shot group and if it weren't for the one off to the left, it would be the best group I've shot out of that rifle.
I'll take it! [Wink]

-

[ July 23, 2014, 08:51 PM: Message edited by: Duckdog ]

Posts: 205 | From: Ks | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted July 24, 2014 03:36 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron, I also load Big Game, but for the slightly less capacious, .17Predator. It performs most excellently...

Have fun & be safe!!!

[ July 24, 2014, 03:36 AM: Message edited by: knockemdown ]

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Aaron Rhoades
Member # 4234

Icon 1 posted July 24, 2014 05:30 AM      Profile for Aaron Rhoades           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys.
Duckdog
Member # 3842

Icon 1 posted July 24, 2014 07:20 AM      Profile for Duckdog           Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron, I noticed this morning that I left out a very important consideration..., Bullet weight!
All I've shot is 30g Golds, so all of the above information is for those.
You might have assumed that, but that's the trouble with getting your information off of the internet.
Ask questions! [Wink]

Posts: 205 | From: Ks | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Aaron Rhoades
Member # 4234

Icon 1 posted July 24, 2014 05:00 PM      Profile for Aaron Rhoades           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks again Duck, we are using the 30's also.
Aaron Rhoades
Member # 4234

Icon 1 posted October 08, 2014 01:43 PM      Profile for Aaron Rhoades           Edit/Delete Post 
After 2.5 months, our guns are done. Going to pick them up today.
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 08, 2014 01:59 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Not too bad, January to October. I have always said, by the time you work up a decent load, one of these builds requires a year incubation period.

That's why I didn't have the interest in it, this last time and I couldn't be more pleased in buying a rifle from an estate of a real hard core "anal type" who took notes on range cards for every round fired. It's as good as any of my custom jobs, two shilen barrels and a jewel trigger, (almost as good anyway, plenty good enough for coyotes) and it was instant gratification.

But, everybody gets the bug and dreams of a custom rig with just the right specs, sooner or later. Kinda been there, done that. Not that I am completely cured, I don't think there is one?

Good luck with your new DEATH RAY, Aaron.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aaron Rhoades
Member # 4234

Icon 1 posted October 08, 2014 09:52 PM      Profile for Aaron Rhoades           Edit/Delete Post 
Here it is. Tikka T3 trued, Douglas barrel 26 inches, 9 twist, Atlasworx bottom metal, bolt handle and shroud, Bell & Carlson stock, Kahles 3.5-10x50. Total weight as shown is 9lbs 6oz.
 -
 -

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted October 09, 2014 04:48 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I can dig that rifle!!!
Best of luck & have fun with it...

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters