The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » For Koko or anyone else. (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: For Koko or anyone else.
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 04, 2024 07:08 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Rough night last night. Went to bed early and woke up at 10:00. looked at weather and it was pretty nice, so I loaded up my gear and decided to find some fresh ears to call to and drove farther west of town. Coyotes been bedding up on the flats instead of down in the cover not sure if its from too much hunting pressure or just something they do around mating time.
So, I just picked a road going west and stopped every two miles and called into mostly open sections. I made 7 stands total and called in 6 coyotes which pretty good for this part of the country. Humidity was 80% with a temp of 35 and overcast sky. I only used the Lucky duck and all the coyotes I called in didn't come from very far with one pair coming from other end of a section near some crp. (3/4 mile) All of them needed a jump start of some coyote vocals followed with prey distress but some got goofy on me when I went to prey sounds so switched back to coyote vocals.
One stand I had a loner on way in, so I gave it some Estrus chirps and never did get close enough for a shot. Maybe barometer pressure had something to do with it. LOL Well off to bed, I'm tired.

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5062 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 04, 2024 09:38 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
apparently, the saga continues?

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted March 04, 2024 10:25 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
It's checkers, not chess.
Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 04, 2024 04:23 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Disagree Vic.. Random calling to anything willing to come in is checkers. Calling to and bringing in what's there is chess, requires planning ahead of time and being ready for the next move. Anytime a guy sets up his remote with presets then he is playing chess not checkers. Anytime you go after a known coyote that's been called before its also a chess game... [Smile] Last stand last night called in a pair they played a hell of a good chess game. LOL

[ March 04, 2024, 04:25 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 04, 2024 04:26 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Leonard, I'm still out hunting for another week or two.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 31, 2024 10:30 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
we have an old hand that says he uses a handcall with a cottontail reed, calling in Nevada, of all places.

This is by the way:

In Nevada, I killed my first Kit fox, my first coyote, my first bobcat and my first lion.

I know the state fairly well, sound carries, it is generally more open than neighboring states. High volume, using a machine have never been a problem for me and I supplement, more often than not with many different hand calls, even calling over the machine, if I feel like it.

Tim, it's good that you are convinced in what you are using. Myself, I just wonder if all the studying and the effort makes a significant difference? I'm indifferent, sound works! I have used a CD I got in Africa of a dozen different African critters. Truthfully, of those sounds, the very best responses I got were from a strictly nocturnal animal called a Springhare, (I thnk?) It's a large cottontail/chinchilla (my description) I did kill one, one night while hunting Jackals. They light up every bit as bright as a bobcat or lion, probably more so, they have huge eyes, and I killed it, not knowing what it was, but this is neither here nor there. My point is, it's a hell of a good sound, it's just primordial, if that's the right word, it just sounds fabulous, to me.

Doesn't matter, coyotes respond to the sound, eagerly! It's the same old story, it's an animal in distress and it has universal application. So, the WT-BM-BS doesn't mean shit, to me. Even the "studio quality" of the sophisticated electronics doesn't matter to me; go ahead & fucking DISTORT the sound, it just ads to the urgency! Yes, I think a large part of the discussion is confidence building. If you believe in your shit, that's wonderful!

Now blow it off, discount my comments, pay no attention and I could care less. At some point, you are kidding yourself, just like how fishing lures catch fishermen, not fish. Not always, occasionally one specific lure is just magic! I've seen that plenty! Coyotes aren't particularly picky. Cats are attracted to the higher pitch sounds, as a rule.

This discussion has endured and everybody has a pet theory, and it being a free country, (more or less) go ahead and BELIEVE IN YOUR MAGIC SOUNDS!

That's it, I'm out of here.
Good hunting. El Bee

[ March 31, 2024, 10:35 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 01, 2024 06:50 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
go ahead and BELIEVE IN YOUR MAGIC SOUNDS!
Nothing magical about them Leonard, they been around over 25 years. But then again tell that to those that have pirated those very sounds for just as many years. Must be some magic there. [Big Grin]

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted April 01, 2024 07:38 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
My first E-caller was a Lohman cassette player basically a cheaper copy of the Johnny Stewart caller. I really didn’t use it that much because I mostly hand called back then.

Next I bought the Foxpro FX3 after awhile I upgraded to FX5, liked both of them they had good sounds but didn’t really like the temperamental remote. So I bought the first CS-24B when it came out, better sound quality and new sounds but still crappy remote.

After a couple years Foxpro came out with the CS-24C with there new better remote I loved that caller basically what the WT is now. But I heard so much stuff about how coyotes were being educated with so many Foxpro’s on the market so I gave my brother the CS-24c and bought the caller of all callers the WT mighty atom, good sounds but nothing really any better than the Foxpro. Got rid of it, because I hated the remote and the damn thing weighed 8 lbs.

Finally ended up getting the Lucky Duck Roughneck with Rick’s premium sounds, my opinion is they are the best vocals out there. It’s light weight and I love the remote. No magic sounds but fits great with my way of calling.

FWIW Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 01, 2024 08:49 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I have the Lohman CD caller, two speakers and a bag to carry it all in. CD's and dust don't get along.

I still have mighty atom, yep its heavy, don't sound as good as the TOA and batteries a pain to take out and put back in.

Got the lucky duck yeah good sounds but same as WT just different. I like it because of the remote for nighttime calling. Sound quality needs work though.
On my newest WT I have all the coyote vocals and added a few other sounds, and the numbers are not in same order due to that, so it takes time to get them all memorized again so the L.D. sees little more use at night. On daytime stand don't need it.

I also have two Dennis kirk callers but can't get a Cassett player for them and this caller is loud as it's all just a big speaker and amp. Too bad Dennis wasn't around long enough to improve it.

Oh lets not forget the Minaska big country, not loud caller but I could put my cassette sounds on it, thing with that though is you lose in sound quality performance when you download the sounds.
I sent most of my cassettes to a member here think he was from Cali and had everything copied over to CD.S and all I wanted was to have the sounds cleaned up but instead he modified most of them to what he liked to hear and just fucked most of them up.
Big ass Cassett library though with sounds you never find again and when I'm gone, they just end up in the trash. (Ed S., Bill Austin, Burnham bro.s, Dennis kirk, Johny Stewart, Rich Cronk ect) )

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 02, 2024 01:45 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I was talking to Pat today at WT in New Hampshire and asked her where Bill did most of his recording on coyote vocals. She said Bill and his son traveled all over the U.S to record coyotes and other critters as well. Also, a lot of time was spent up in Canada recording and filming.

WT has a DVD on calling coyotes and also filmed them of which I have seen and yes, the land scape on many of his hunts is different from hunt to hunt. Not much if any filming was done in New Hampshire.

Just some FYI.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 03, 2024 06:48 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's see? the one in CA that you generously sent sounds to and he subsequently fucked them up? Just a guess: Might the name Gary Clevenger ring a bell?

Two seriously disturbed people that might even get along, Bill Marz and Gary Clevenger!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 03, 2024 09:24 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
No Leonard. I never liked Gary after first time we met at campout.
The guy that did recording for me was kind of a hippy I guess, wore a dew rag around his head and was at one of the campouts as well. You remember what year was first campout?

Think guys first name was Rich or richard but not 100%

[ April 03, 2024, 09:58 AM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters