The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » For Koko or anyone else. (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: For Koko or anyone else.
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2024 11:20 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
The range for hearing a gunshot can vary depending on several factors, including the type of firearm, the ammunition used, the environment, and an individual’s hearing ability. However, as a general estimate, most people can hear a gunshot from up to a mile away1.

Here are some additional details related to gunshot audibility:

Firearm Type and Ammunition: The specific firearm and caliber of the bullet play a significant role. More powerful ammunition or larger-caliber firearms can produce louder sounds that travel farther23.
Environmental Factors:
Terrain: Open, flat terrain allows the sound of a gunshot to travel farther, while dense urban environments may limit its range.
Weather Conditions: Factors like wind direction and humidity can affect how far the sound carries.
Night vs. Day: At night, cooler air temperatures can enhance sound wave travel, potentially allowing gunshots to be heard from greater distances2.
Other Considerations:
Suppressors: While suppressed gunshots are quieter than unsuppressed ones, they can still be heard from a significant distance under the right conditions.
Echoes: Natural or man-made structures can cause gunshots to echo, increasing the distance from which they can be heard.
Population Density: In densely populated areas, buildings and structures may absorb and block sound, limiting gunshot audibility2.
Remember that these estimates are approximate, and real-world scenarios can vary. Stay safe and be mindful of your surroundings! 🙌🔫

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5062 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2024 11:31 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
The distance that the sound of a coyote’s howl can travel depends on several factors, including terrain, wind speed, and ambient noise. Here are some estimates based on different sources:

Simply Ecologist: In open areas, a coyote’s howl can be heard up to 3 miles away. The frequency range of their howls is typically between 7 and 8 kHz, which allows the sound to travel further at night when the air is cooler and denser1.
PawsGeek: Under ideal conditions (out in the open with no obstacles), a coyote’s howl might reach up to 6 miles. However, in more realistic scenarios, the range is probably closer to 1 or 2 miles2.
Floofmania: A person can hear a single coyote howling from about a mile away, but this can vary based on elevation, location, and weather. Other coyotes can hear a howl up to three miles away3.
Project Coyote: Coyote howling sounds can travel around 1,000 yards (approximately 0.57 miles) and are used by coyotes to identify callers, determine gender, and perhaps gauge mood. Transient coyotes tend to vocalize less than resident animals to avoid interactions4.
So, whether it’s a haunting howl echoing across the wilderness or a yip to gather attention, coyotes use their vocalizations strategically to communicate with each other and their surroundings. 🌕🐺

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2024 11:40 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
One time when out locating with Roede we howled at the start of a deep valley and coyotes closest to us lit up right away with a howl, then a short pause and then we could hear coyotes farther away and so on like a domino effect. It just went on as far as we could hear and perhaps farther, but it wasn't my howls they were answering to.

--------------------

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2024 12:15 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Misc. thought on gunshot loudness;
Which way is the thing pointed ???
Shotgun, for instance........
At a couple of hundred yards it's going to be the loudest if it's pointed at you and less so if pointed away.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2024 12:20 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
ALL of those estimates are very subjective, for instance:

"a coyote can hear another coyote's howl six miles away"

I wouldn't bet the farm on that, besides that you can never get a straight answer out of a coyote.

Especially after just reading that a gunshot(assume rifle) can be heard a mile away.

I know, wind direction and other factors. So, based on best conditions, it's still a WAG, which is short for: Wild Ass Guess!

As far as coyotes and the jungle telegraph; I believe that! WE have had certain situations in northern Nevada when a "pack" or maybe just a pair would light up, usually down wind and it might be just our luck that the two track we were following was that same direction, and they would be forewarned for miles and we would be forced to try to drive out of it, instead of making stands every quarter mile as is our usual practice, under new moon conditions, because this is optimum and we would not drive 400 miles except under optimum conditions, meaning new moon.

In the case of first or 3rd quarter, calling before the moon rises is preferred because they do see you, They may not know what they are looking at until they circle downwind, but that's reason enough to wear dark clothing or camo so movements are difficult to give you away because it seems that BLACK is a giveaway clothing color and it's better to wear a mottled jacket or the forest camo. What I'm saying is that you can get away with some careful movement wearing a green and black camo but solid black can be detected. This all depends on how close they are and if you are silhouetted on the skyline.

Sometimes they do see you but if you shut down and wait them out, eventually a volunteer will come in a try to wind us. When a coyote gets your wind, it's pretty much game over, unless you are using scent. and know how to use it.

If hunting at night and not using scent, you are seriously handicapping your success odds. I've tried explaining the concept until I'm blue in the face, so I will spare the Peanut Gallery, this time.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2024 01:32 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Does Adding More Speakers Make It Louder?
So, does adding an extra speaker to your home theater system make it louder? The simple answer is yes. This detail, however, is a matter of how humans perceive sound.

Because sound is mechanical energy derived from motion, adding an extra device moves more air. If we follow the piston analogy, adding an extra speaker means you have two pistons moving the same air pressure. More air moved results to louder sounds and sound intensity doubles.

Doubling sound intensity, however, does not equate to double the decibels. This detail is due to how decibels calculate.

Decibels are logarithmic functions that measure magnitude. Every 10-decibel increase means the audio has 10 times more intensity. A 60-decibel sound is 1,000,000 times (106) more powerful than a 1-decibel sound.

With that said, adding a speaker with a similar volume adds around 3 decibels. The human ear, to hear double the audio, needs an increase of 10 decibels. Why?

Perceived loudness is a matter of psychoacoustics, meaning it concerns how one perceives loudness. There is a variance in the perception of sound among people. Even then, evidence suggests humans measure loudness doubling every 10 decibels. This measurement means you need to increase the sound intensity by a factor of 10 to hear twice the loudness.

The increase in loudness is also exponential. For every 10-decibel increase in intensity, you’ll get double the previous sound. For example, 60-decibels will double in loudness once it reaches 70 decibels. Once it reaches 80 decibels, this sound is four times as love as 60 dB.

What this means is 100 decibels is equal to 16 times the loudness of 60 dB.

Guess this is what Koko was looking for. its a Yes and no.
Also if a caller is only capable of playing a sound at 60db. and another at say 70db this caller would be twice as loud. Now look back and some of the sounds I tested from WT that were past 100 db. it would be 16 times or more louder than a caller that can only play at 60db. or has it turned down.

[ March 02, 2024, 01:42 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2024 01:44 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Koko I think that was mentioned for one of the variables. Yes Koko that's correct and same can be said for sound coming out of a E-caller with loudest coming out of the front. But now look at a jet plane, its the opposite. LOL

[ March 02, 2024, 01:48 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2024 02:08 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"a coyote can hear another coyote's howl six miles away"
Under perfect conditions leonard , but more like 1-2 miles

Gunshot Leonard? yeah can be heard a mile away and more depending on direction its pointed and wind direction and speed. But also depends on caliber that's being shot, 17 Rem. wins every time for not being so loud.
Opening deer slug season, I can hear a shotgun at times going off least mile away. Then out in Dakota's goose hunters be on East River side and I be west river and know I'm over two miles away and can hear them at times. The thing is in this case the river is flat no sound restrictions and then the banks and hills on opposite side filled with the echo of guns going off.
Also coyotes don't know what a gun is they just hear it go bang from time to time. In well hunted area they hear it all the time and how they react is up to each of them. Same with human scent, some fear it and some don't. Example coyote comes from downwind and gets on the road and runs down wind of my pickup and then past it to the caller. Next one will probably bolt and run off in another direction. You right about coyotes seeing at night, from reactions I've seen I'd say about half mile out or little less they can pick up something alien to them. Yes, with mixed colors and stay away from black on no snow ground and stay away from white when snow is on the ground. White/gray mix be ok, solid white not so good.

[ March 02, 2024, 02:16 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2024 02:32 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you’re over thinking all this shit. One thing that is a total fact is shooting with a suppressor it is a lot more quiet that without one. Period!!!!!! Does it mean anything in your coyote calling? Not really sure. Seems like I can stop more doubles and triples now but is that just a coincidence who knows. Howling, I’ve used loud ecaller howls and had responses, I’ve used open reed howlers and had responses, I’ve used Diaphragm calls and had responses and I’ve used my own voice and had responses. I’ve also used all of those things and not had responses. Anybody that says this is better than that is just guessing. As Scott likes to say only the coyotes know and they ain’t talking. The best we can do is experiment with what our experience is, that and a little luck and you’ll call in some coyotes, some day more than others and some days a goose egg. That’s what make it both fun and a challenge.

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2024 04:12 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I overthink ......... therefore I am. [Cool]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2024 07:46 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Silencers still make a sound, perhaps to high pitched for most of our ears to pick up, but coyote can hear way better and think most agree on that part. Also doesn't the bullet traveling at Mach 4 make a cracking sound? Bullet hitting ground? bullet striking the target animal? Also see in vid.s each coyote handles it little different.
Any complaints take it up with google since I don't have any to test and U-tube usually edits the sound so no one can steal a guys magical sounds. LOL

Yeah everyday can be different i just prefer to have fewer goose eggs. and what I'm trying get across.

quote:
The loud volume expands the potential area a sound can be heard. Has the potential for more coyotes to react to the sound. More likely have the sound travel through terr. boundaries. The volume of the sound leads coyotes to believe it may be closer at the initial hearing and once started they continue to its source. nothing screams that loud in the real world or sounds that loud unless it is very close.
Edit to add: What good is a suppressor if you have nothing there to start with?

[ March 02, 2024, 07:49 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2024 07:59 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Chad since you use a suppressor do you shoot the gun more on a stand when dealing with multiples and do you take more high-risk shots as well? If so on high-risk shots if you don't get them, how do they react the next time you call to them?

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2024 09:05 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Like I said in my last post. I really don’t know if we are killing more multiples because we are shooting suppressed or if it is coincidence. I will say I’ve noticed two thing more often though, first when two or more coyotes are seen coming in and a shot is taken at one of the coyotes, I’ve seen the other one stop more often and given me a good shot than when I was shooting unsuppressed. Same with shooting a coyote and continuing to call and having another one show up. I’m not saying there might not have been other variables in play. Don’t know for sure. I am saying the rifle shot is a lot quieter with a suppressor than with an unsuppressed rifle. I would never go back to shooting unsuppressed. Period

Good Hunting Chad

[ March 02, 2024, 09:06 PM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted March 02, 2024 10:34 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You certainly sound like a happy customer, Chad.

I had the opportunity to fire a half a clip of suppressed fire on an M4 at full auto. I can't really say that I was totally blown away. I'm just a natural born skeptic.

I could have done the whole mag dump, but as a guest, I didn't want to just burn up the guy's ammo.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 03, 2024 08:14 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I found one of my west river S.D. maps and measured how far across the coyotes were and came up with 1 1/4 miles.

Another thing about area I called is most of the pastures are 5 miles wide and up to 10 miles deep with a two-track going down the center, usually following a ridge with a drainage on each side. Not supposed to drive off the two track or it killed what little grass they had.
I always tried to be out there on no wind or very little wind and usually got 2-3 days of wind conditions in my favor.
Now if a caller is using hand calls or a lesser E-caller they not covering the 2 1/2 miles on each side of the two track or even over lapping into the next pasture so they are missing a lot of coyotes if the two track gets driven a lot the coyotes will tend to lay away from it or hunting pressure.
One of my trips out the ranchers said they had calling contest and had guys calling most of the pastures a few days before so thought I wouldn't have much luck if the contest guys killed any.
I didn't have any other spots planned for that day so I just made do with what I had. First off, I stayed on the west to east gravel road and walked into the pasture 100 yards and call then go down road a ways and go back in and call till I reached the property line for that pasture.
Reason being for doing this is callers tend to drive in aways before they start to call and don't call back in this direction because they are placing their caller out in front in direction they plan to go. Roede gave me a bad time and said I was just road hunting/calling. I said so what that's where some of the coyotes are and it made no sense to drive in past them and then try to call back behind me and also having wrong wind direction. After both sides of the road was covered then I made my way into the pasture calling both sides of ridge as i went. I don't know how far the other callers' sounds was going but do know they left quit a few coyotes behind and I just stayed in the area rest of the day since calling was so good. Since that week I never been afraid to go call a area someone else has been in. Bad calling, missed shots or not seeing them or just not getting sound out to them in first place, who knows.
Hunted with Scott one day and we walked into his calling areas, never seen a coyote come in. Next day the areas we called in was flown by the plane and the coyotes the plane was getting were mostly bedded closer to the road. We either set up too far away or was not calling in their direction to begin with.
If a guy can hunt his area all winter and still take coyotes out of it each trip just tells me, they missed that many on the first trip. Just saying is all.

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted March 03, 2024 09:28 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Or ........... Mayhap Nature abhors a vacuum and new coyotes filtered in from surrounding areas.

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 03, 2024 09:53 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
depends on time of year from what i see or on how large the family group was from previous litters or if someone is stock piling dead cattle.

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted March 03, 2024 11:05 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
From my experience I’m with Koko. Take Coyotes out of a given area and within a month a different Coyote or Coyotes move in. Seen it over and over again.
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 03, 2024 01:10 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
What was said about how most of the coyotes were bedded close to the road. I never thought about that very much because how could I know that, unless I had a drone or I was flying over roads.

But, you know how certain things stick with you after several decades of pursuing these critters?

There was that one time along the border, on the reservation. Having not hunted the night before, we were anxious to start at the very crack of dawn so, as a matter of fact, the rig was parked just off the road and it was still nighttime, not even a hint of morning in the eastern direction, and I noticed spider webs everywhere, across the tops of bushes, this is not something you see every day. I don't know if it was because of morning dew that made them stand out, for as far as I cared to look, in a southernly direction. For all I know, the webs might have been on the north side of the road, but I didn't walk that way, for absolutely no particular reason.

Okay, so I walked out, no more than a quarter mile from the dirt road we had driven in, about perhaps 20 miles from the blacktop. You know, it was starting to look and feel very gamey. Some of you guys may appreciate the expression, but for Tim's sake I will try to explain that some areas look like there could be "game" behind every bush and every tree. Other than that, it's difficult to describe to people that lack a certain sense of hunter and hunted. (just kidding, Tim)

So, where was I? Oh yes, I was pussy-footing into the pristine, virgin bush, teeming with anticipation. I set my caller in a direction where the terrain sloped in a favorable direction straight out in front; in other words, I really had a commanding view even as I sat on my low stool. I like to put the speaker about 50 feet in front but because it was still very dark and I didn't want to be tripping over too much brush, I only put it more like maybe 30+ feet in front of me.

Then I sat and waited, let things calm down and again for Tim's benefit, it's usually better to pause, for most of us and let things quiet down, before starting the stand. Besides, It seemed like I still had at least 10/20 minutes before shooting light. So, I waited; kinda like a bird dog quivering with anticipation. This was a starry night, you could drive a dirt road without your lights on, so I just scanned and tried to make out as much detail as possible.

After about 10 minutes, I really couldn't see well enough to make out a target in the scope but decided it was getting a teensy bit lighter, so I turned on my called at very low volume. I forget the sound, but I would usually use some squeaking vole, in any case, I don't think I had a dying cottontail, as yet. It seemed like it took forever before I could make out objects through the scope, and most of us depend on picking up movements, but I still waited before moving the volume off of zero.

It got light before I was aware of it, so I started scanning slowly and by now It was past predawn and I could see them coming in very easily. And after a couple minutes and, I swear to god, not more than 10-15 feet in front of my speaker, this coyote, I was looking right at this fur-ball, stood up and stretched a bit and trotted off down hill and out of sight, so I stood up and still, the terrain fell off so he was hidden and out of sight after just a few steps. And during this time, I never even got my gun up, I couldn't believe this coyote had stayed bedded down right in front of me for at least 20 minutes! That's my opinion because I could have seen movement, it was never pitch dark and I'm sure a coyote wouldn't sneak up and then bed down right in front of me. I'm fairly certain that he was there the whole time and then I still have a question. Would I have kicked him out, if I had walked another 20-30 paces? It seems inconceivable that he would let me walk past him in the dark. And stayed put?

Tim is probably the only one that has enough information to diagnose my scenario and figure out what happened.... so without further ado, I can't wait for him to 'splain me, what actually occurred. I'm just kidding. wink/wink

But, why didn't that coyote stand up, stretch and go stick his nose in my speaker, as I have seen a coyote do, several times. Why didn't he stand up, or jump up, look my way or not, and take off in afterburner?

Coyotes do many predictable things, behavior you can count on. And every once in a while, they do something unexpected. Have you ever observed a coyote a half mile away, not aware of your presence, and you observe him in your scope as he minds his own business. Then, as you give him a sound, how many times have you seen him suddenly turn in your direction, for a minute, maybe less, and then decide to ignore your sound by then looking back to what he was doing before, and he has decided, either it's too far, or he has heard Lightning Jack before, or he has caught your wind ten minutes before you spotted him.

It's just so hard to figure out the reason for what they do, or they don't do. It's like when hunting down by the Goldwater Range, and the calling and the hunting has been normal, and in that area, the action starts to drop off before about ten A.M. (it's too hot) that is, unless one of those planes drops a bomb earlier, and after that, forget it, you will not be calling in any coyotes after a bomb is dropped, so you might as well forget it! It's exactly the same in other areas where they are mining and blasting. After the dynamite goes off, the coyotes aren't coming to a rabbit call, and there is no coyote yipping, and no response to your calls, so don't bother.

I could say the same thing if you have a storm moving in, bringing either rain or snow. I don't think coyotes usually respond very much or not at all, if the barometer is dropping and it's an obvious weather front moving in. They just do not respond well when even a human can be aware of an upcoming weather front. Other than that, if you are fortunate enough to be in the field when everything quiets down, that's when they will be eager and active after waiting out the storm. That's alway some of the best hunting! It's always worth waiting for! In fact, some of the most delicious time in the wilderness is when it's either raining or snowing and everyone with any sense at all is at home or at least having a beer or some coffee at a quiet little establishment closer to civilization. It always feels good, after having been cold and wet, to be inside and waiting it out. I hope you guys have been there and done that.

I remember once, while driving through Minersville, Utah, and we were caught in the middle of a herd of cattle right in town, and we didn't get the windows up in time! I bet we had several hundred flies in the cab for the next 3 hours. Flies just hunker down and it's impossible to get them out through the windows, wave at them all you want but they aren't leaving! You have to pull over, open all doors and wave towels and hats and whatever you got, to persuade them to get the hell out of your truck! You do not need to relearn this lesson very many times!

That's all I got right now. Sorry for the rant

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted March 03, 2024 03:08 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I have seen some really odd behavior over the last 35+ years of calling things that definitely make you scratch your head. But the bedded coyote story now that’s crazy. I would have loved to see the expression on your face.😁
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 03, 2024 04:30 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Same here with fill ins. Most just same members from family group from previous litters that got overlooked for some reason, like property lines. From what I see a family group stays somewhat intact till breeding season and then start to disperse somewhat but not going very far for most. But depends on what's. there for cover and food and how well they enforce their terr.
From running coyotes with dogs, I learned two things. If a coyote being chased by the dogs and just runs a big circle, then that coyote was born in that area. Sooner or later, they may even show you where the den is, pipe, brush pile or hole.
The other coyote and usually a alpha male will run pretty much straight line to get away from the dogs and if dogs keep pushing the coyote will take them to where it was born which can be a 5–8-mile chase or can go as far as 18 miles or more.
Soon this coyote will head for its hole, den, pipe, brush pile or in some cases an old barn.
Yoy being chased by dogs just run in circles like the female.
When snow is on the ground and you can find tracks the tracks can give you a good indication of where that coyote is from and just tells you it was a coyote from a previous litter stopping by to check things out and then leave on same night or the next. You follow that track and it may take you 2-4-6 miles away depending on food and cover.
Mom and pop get killed along with this year's litter then one from previous litter just sets up shop. Can't shoot tracks but they can give you a history of that coyote.

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 03, 2024 04:45 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
First stand with Randy R. we drove into a pasture at first light just 100 yards or so from road. We sat in truck let things get quiet and make our plans.
Randy mentioned as we got out and said don't fuck with the truck doors just close it and be done with it.
We walked in to east and little Parrell with the road to south and crested the ridge and now looking down into a nice drainage. I sat down and Randy walked over small rise to my left and sat down. I couldn't see him or the drainage to his left, but he had it covered. Randy turned the caller on and started to play a series.
Coyote laying in the grass just 80 yards in front of me sticks its head up and I shoot. In mean time Randy had 3 others coming in from the drainage bottom but changed their minds after I shot so Randy gets up and walks over to me and says you could have waited for them to get closer. I said them. I then replied I only saw one coyote! Randy says where at and I get up and we walk over to it.
Randy just says oh you got yourself a sleeper. LOL This is also same area and group of coyotes Randy showed me the power of the WT and how much you can get away with on the coyotes. We kept moving around and worked that group till we got all but one and that was the last coyote from group. Randy wanted to try out his new AR 15 on last stand, so we moved and then set up. Sure, enough here it comes, and Randy takes about 250-300 yard shot and knocks the shit out of the coyote and it falls to the ground then gets back up and runs down into the drainage never to be seen again. Randy says welp I guess I won't be using that gun anytime soon. LOL

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 03, 2024 05:07 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Back when I got my thermal, I parked truck at end of a T-road and then just walked about 100 feet from truck and scanned the area quick. I spotted a coyote less than 100 yards coming along the fence-line in my direction as it didn't know I was there. I set caller on ground and set up tripod and shot it. Thought oh this is nice. LOL
All I can say is it must not of seen or heard me as that's how it acted.
Back in the day when we just walked the tall grass for coyotes many times, we would walk up on them, or they would get up and just move back around us and lay down again. They were just conditioned by the bird hunters which never bothered them and they also adapt to gun shots.
I like calling these areas cause if I get more than one coyote to show up and shoot the first the others still hang around and give a guy a chance for a second.... Lots of things just boils down to how that coyote went through life and what it was exposed to good or bad and adapted one way or another. Another thing about calling the grass areas is human scent, they don't show as much fear from it but just depends again on what each coyote was exposed to. Had 3 coyotes this season come in and got my down wind and they just walked a little farther out from me and just laid down and waited. Another stand on another night had a pair do same thing.
Then on another night i was in to tight so limited on what I could see or shoot at and then had the whole group circled around me, up wind, cross wind and down wind. I ran two callers that night and just kept pissing them off till one finally showed itself so I could shoot. Sometimes it pays to wait out the storm and wait for sun to come out you might say. LOL

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 03, 2024 05:31 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What was said about how most of the coyotes were bedded close to the road. I never thought about that very much because how could I know that, unless I had a drone or I was flying over roads.
Thats just one of the things I picked up Leonard, Scott or no one else showed me or even mentioned anything like this. Think they just worry more about killing coyotes and not looking deeper into it or looking.
Example; Take one of those 5x10 mile pastures. As you work your way in you come across coyote scat all over the place, lots of it so it must mean there lots of coyotes in area. So you stick to the two track and call your way in and finally get to end of 10-mile two track and nothing came in.
They are all dead from a previous hunter? Moved out of a good area or perhaps the stars weren't aligned for calling that day and 20 more excuses.

I find out area has been called before and also the rancher likes to drive through every other day to check on cows and takes pot shots at any coyotes he sees. aaah pressured coyotes.
So one has to stop and think, where would the coyotes hold up for the day? Back in one corner of pasture there is some rough broken up ground you can't drive to or get close enough? Or one of the drainages has a deep ravine that you may have to walk to get close enough for coyotes to hear the caller. or how about across the road where I first drove in, there isn't any gate on that side and a nice drainage there as well. Sometimes you can look at the powdered dirt on two track and pick up nice clean tracks that give you a direction a coyote maybe going. Go back to the gate and look and sure enough there is a track heading for paster across the road. Snow would be a dead giveaway for finding tracks but out there I hated calling when snow was on the ground, to dam cold. LOL

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 03, 2024 06:08 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Coyotes do many predictable things, behavior you can count on. And every once in a while, they do something unexpected. Have you ever observed a coyote a half mile away, not aware of your presence, and you observe him in your scope as he minds his own business. Then, as you give him a sound, how many times have you seen him suddenly turn in your direction, for a minute, maybe less, and then decide to ignore your sound by then looking back to what he was doing before, and he has decided, either it's too far, or he has heard Lightning Jack before, or he has caught your wind ten minutes before you spotted him.
Here the younger generation calls them night walkers. I see this often but not enough to keep track of. Few things come to mind. for one the coyote knows something is there that's alien to them but shows little or no fear as its to far away to hurt it. Saw something or heard something.
Sound played on caller was to far off(weak) to get it excited to want to come in. Maybe a howl would of been better choice.
Coyote perhaps been called before, and his buddy got killed or the hunter did a mag. dump but yet you too far away to be a threat, so coyote just keeps doing what it's doing and ignores you.
If more sounds would of been tossed out there to coyote and then see its reaction some of the variables can then be eliminated.
I have a few coyotes that behave like that, and I keep going after them, but I make sure that I know they didn't hear me come by or know I'm there.

I have one-mile sections here and very few places I can hide a truck let alone not see or hear it.
So, for some of them I just have to walk down road farther before I go in to set up, put more distance between me and the truck. Other option is I been using my side by side to get into the area close to them and coming from a different direction they not use to yet. Some places I do actually set the caller out farther from me.
Other option is wait for a cloudy night or moonless night or find a spot where they have some shadow to come in on like a tree line if I can find one. LOL Coyotes like to come in through cover or along the edge of it in the shadows and they will come quicker at times!
Some guys say a no moon night is best because like I mentioned coyotes like to approach under a shadow. and on a full moon night broken up ground with shallow waters ways or what have you that throw off a shadow for coyotes to come in on makes them comfy. The moon here rises from East and sets in west just like the sun so I have to also think about setting up according to position of moon and lay of the land. Some coyotes are fussy about this where others are not so it's a hit and miss with them. Not over thinking anything just paying attention when in class.

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters