The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Night forum   » Scanning light vs. shooting light (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Scanning light vs. shooting light
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2011 02:57 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I did hear something about it? The hydration and the misting feature have the same reservoir, right? For the REAL hardcore.

Kelly must be making a ton of money off that product? Probably enough to retire and live a comfortable Okie life.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31463 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2011 03:42 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
PA doesn't allow for weapon mounted illumination,
Fred, I believe PA allows weapon mounted lights. My understanding is that it does not allow lights or beams used as a sight, such as a laser sight.

If I am wrong let me know.

[ February 10, 2011, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: 4949shooter ]

Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2011 05:28 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Why in the hell wouldn't any authority not allow a laser sight? Are you sure of this? No weapon mounted laser site? That's crazy.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2011 06:24 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Here it is Leonard:

Electronic Devices: It is unlawful to hunt with any electronic contrivance
or device except: 1) Electronic callers may be used to hunt bobcats,
coyotes, foxes, raccoons and crows. 2) Lighted pins on bow sights and
scopes with lighted reticles may be used as long as they don’t cast a beam.
Any device used as a sight or scope on any firearm, bow or crossbow that
projects a light beam of any kind onto the target is unlawful. 3) Portable,
two-way radios and cell phones may be used for general communications
with another hunter, but may not be used to direct or alert another hunter
of the presence or location of live game or wildlife. The use of electronic
communication devices to alert hunters to live game is not only a violation
of the Game & Wildlife Code, but violates the concept of Fair Chase. The
use of portable radios does not satisfy the legal requirement of accompanying
a junior hunter. The accompanying adult must be close enough to
give verbal instructions without the aid of an electronic device. 4) Electronic
sound amplification devices that are incorporated into hearing protection
devices and completely contained in or on the hunter’s ear may be
used to hunt or take wildlife.
The following devices may now be used to hunt or take wildlife: Any
manually operated firearm that uses an electronic impulse to detonate the
primer or main powder charge of the ammunition, unless such firearms are
a specifically prohibited device. Electronic illuminating devices that are
affixed at the aft end of a bolt or arrow and used solely for the purpose of
locating or tracking bolt or arrow flight after being launched from a crossbow
or bow.

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=726681&mode=2 (scroll down to "General Hunting Regulations"

4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2011 06:32 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
And from the next page down on the same link:

A person hunting raccoons, skunks, opossums, bobcats, weasels, foxes and
coyotes on foot may use a handheld light, including a gun-mounted light.
Furbearer hunters still may not use a flashlight or spotlight that projects a
laser light beam, though.

I am just a dumb guy from NJ, but I read this as gun mounted lights are legal in PA. Fred may have a different interpretation, or may be privy to something I am not. I would like to hear his take on the subject. Perhaps I have been doing the wrong thing.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2011 06:36 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, but what is the rationale on disallowing lasers? Okay, it's a violation, but who thought it up and what's the problem? Must we just accept these things without question? By what means may we protest, and is there a way to appeal such things that make no sense?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2011 06:43 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard I couldn't answer that as far as the rationale goes. Maybe George Ackley or Sherri would know the answer as they reside in PA. Hopefully they will see this thread...
Baldknobber
Knows what it's all about
Member # 514

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2011 08:08 PM      Profile for Baldknobber   Email Baldknobber         Edit/Delete Post 
Hell, you think laser sights being prohibited is bad you should hear some of the shit the Dept. of Conservation here in Mo. comes up with. Its against the law to kill snakes. Even poisonous snakes. Snakes of all kinds!!!! Hell, no wonder Higgins loaded up and went to Arizona!

[ February 10, 2011, 08:09 PM: Message edited by: Baldknobber ]

--------------------
JTBMO

Posts: 202 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2011 08:23 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a law begging to be broken. It's everything you know, is suddenly wrong. Every day I see stuff claiming this or that because some study announced some findings. People are being jerked around on every level. I just don't trust the "authorities" to know what's best for us.

So, how many years will I get for shooting a rattle snake? Or, is it more serious than that? A rope? OMG!

Can I use being a nonresident as a defense? Dumb Californians kill snakes all the time.

So, it's Pennsylvania that doesn't allow laser sights? Well, sounds like something New Jersey started? Or wished they had thought of it first.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2011 03:25 AM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
In NJ night hunting is by permit only. The night hunting season is from Jan first through the second week of March. We can use shotgun only, #4 bird shot through T shot. There is no hunting from motor vehicles.
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2011 05:14 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
49, reckon the PPHA helped get that 'no light on the gun' rule amended then? When I first started hunting PA, it was a no-no, so that's a good thing!

Nikon, thanks for the modeling props!
f.y.i...
I'm also available for select weddings, bachelorette parties & Bar-Mitzvahs... [Eek!]

Leonard, the most recent buckethead uses a 'stand alone' misting nozzle that indeed can be syphoned from either of the 12 oz. side saddle fluid recepticles. Cutting edge innovation!!!

[ February 11, 2011, 05:17 AM: Message edited by: knockemdown ]

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2011 10:17 AM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay sounds good Fred. Thanks.
fgf4
unknown comic

Icon 6 posted February 11, 2011 03:34 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Guys,

I can't show all the pics of the Buckethead "Coonass Edition", but here are a few I can show... [Big Grin]

This was at the beginning of Fred's runway debut and as it went really quickly(downhill)from here some of the shots are a little fuzzy(pun intended). I can't post the ones with the G-string... wouldn't want to give Leonard a heart attack! [Razz]

-

-

-

-
Fred's vigorous and emotionally charged performance actually drove some of those attending to tears!

Last, but not least, a picture of the latest Buckethead prototype, the "KFC" model.
Notice the large "MasterBlaster" speaker(newest styrofoam cone technology)and "Interurban" ghetto camo pattern.

-

All Copyrights Reserved_Ciambella2011

IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2011 07:54 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
And to think that coyote hunting used to be such a simple thing to do. [Big Grin]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7582 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2011 01:52 AM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
That looks like a WWII German paratrooper helmet with a coonass on top. [Big Grin]
4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2011 05:57 AM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Back to night hunting...

Actually not a night question per se, but will a coyote distress cause a younger pup not to come in close for fear of getting it's own arse kicked? I was using this last night, and heard a high pitched bark off to my right fairly close.

jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2011 09:50 AM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
Simple answer, I suppose it could. In my experience, I've seen coyote distress and coyote pup distress elicit pretty much the full gamut of responses. From a full blown retreat to the most agressive charges to barks to distant howls. Kinda like a box of chocolates.

Any chance what you heard was a fox?

Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2011 09:52 AM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Jim.

I didn't think of a fox, but it could have been. A fox would come into a coyote distress?

jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2011 09:59 AM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
I've never had a fox show up to pup distress, but I've had them show up after coyote vocals including distress. Makes you wonder sometimes how any of them survive. One barking at the hubub from reasonable safety sure isn't out of the question.
Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2011 11:40 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
As long as we are speculating. Is it more likely to be a gray fox? I have the impression that reds won't come to a place where they suspect there are coyotes. But, as long as there is a tree to climb, a gray might?

Good hunting. LB

edit: PS niko, you have set back Okie reputation several decades. And, did you notice the pout in the third photo, Looks like that Maxim guy on dancing with the stars.

[ February 12, 2011, 11:43 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2011 01:13 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Lol the fox came in for a front view seat of the action. I don't have any grey fox skins on my lodge pole, and fox are covered under the night coyote hunting permit so this could be interesting.
fgf4
unknown comic

Icon 5 posted February 12, 2011 01:14 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
"dancing with the stars"??? Must be a California thing... [Confused]

As for Okie reputation, it really is amazing what a little moonshine will do! [Eek!] [Big Grin]

IP: Logged
4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2011 01:18 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
That guy to the left of KJ looks like he is enjoying the bucket head joke...

[ February 12, 2011, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: 4949shooter ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2011 01:34 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
The difference between here and there. (okay, ONE of the differences)

.....is that when we attend club meeting, we don't look like we just parked the tractor out front. Nor, do we wear camo unless we are engaged in the pursuit of game. It's a defensive technique developed after years thus engaged.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2011 02:21 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
For what it's worth, the camo clad pouting model is a yankee.

Now if'n you're implying that we or in this case they didn't dress fancy enough, it's a hunt not a dance.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters