The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Night forum   » Scanning light vs. shooting light (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Scanning light vs. shooting light
4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2011 02:56 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll probably hear something tomorrow. Some do whine a lot.

What the hell, Mrs. 49 says I am always complaining..

Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
TundraWookie
Knows what it's all about
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2011 03:08 PM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
German stuff is usually built pretty solid and durable. That is, except for my broken WT's. [Big Grin]

Posts: 857 | From: Alaska | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2011 03:13 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Lol [Big Grin]
JD
HONORARY OKIE .... and Tim's at fault!
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2011 03:15 PM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
Tundra, what headlamp do you use? What technique do you use as compared to what LB described in his article? Having a partner is the real cure but I just cant give up on the idea of a one man show, sometimes you cant find a buddy willing to go to work tomorrow on zero sleep. (whiners)

LB, I`d be embarrassed to tell of some of the half assed ideas I`ve tried as far as lights go on a night stand. [Smile]

--------------------
Jason
--------------------------------------

What do Obama & TA17Rem have in common........both are clueless asshats!!!

Posts: 1456 | From: NE. | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2011 03:29 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
LB, I`d be embarrassed to tell of some of the half assed ideas I`ve tried as far as lights go on a night stand.
Tell us JD!
Baldknobber
Member # 514

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2011 04:55 PM      Profile for Baldknobber   Email Baldknobber         Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking of using a Nite Lite head lamp for scanning and once an animal is spotted use an XLR 250 mounted on the scope to follow them in with and for the shot. Im not wanting to spend an extravagant amount of money. About $250 would be tops for this endeavor.

--------------------
JTBMO

Posts: 202 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2011 06:24 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You can use a tripod mounted light, that works pretty well, with a few modifications, maybe leg extentions because you would like to have the light above your head, if possible?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31473 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2011 06:39 PM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
JD,
I'm using a Predator Light with a home made 4" long shroud and a Petzl head-lamp strap. The Predator light doesn't offer a decent head-lamp setup, so I had to create my own. Technique-wise, I'm trying to use the same strategy that Leonard does, except I don't do the 360 degree scan due to the way I approach my stands and also because I try to keep woods and brush behind me. I have the caller about 10 feet in front of me and just slowly scan with the headlamp until I see eyes. I have a BogGear tripod sitting in front of me that I can get the rifle on in a hurry and get a decent standing shot. I like the one man show, nobody to slow me down. I only have one hunting partner that I've gone with that I'd do the double night hunting with, but he's in Fiji.

Baldknobber,
That Nite Lite would be a good scanning light I'd wager. Is that a LED light? You can get comparable LED lights to the XLR's at Sportsman's Guide. I picked up two other models on there that hold a candle to the XLR 250 for $35 a piece. I have my light mounted to my barrel, so I can easily push the rear cap switch. The remote wired deals are a no-go in the cold, so having it at the end of the foregrip is the way to go for me. I know I'll get chastised for having something on my barrel probably, but it works better than anything else I've tried.

Posts: 857 | From: Alaska | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
JD
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2011 06:51 PM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
LOL I`ve had a few strokes of genius concerning night hunting, my own version of a headlamp based on a hard hat fitting system, that one made it into the trash in short order, mag lites taped to a gun, a tripod sorta setup with the light mounted above me, several oddball versions of spots that could be held while shooting a rifle sheeesh, and one idea that I never did work on, yet, a very small quickly detached trailer set up that would work much like a "rig" only be stationary,(cant hunt from a motorized vehicle) would work great for all the easily accessed hay fields, what a gawdawful pain in the ass that would be huh.

I`m not afraid to try to make just about anything but hell you can go buy anything you need nowadays so starting from scratch isnt needed anymore and quite honestly I like shit to be simple, I`m getting old.

--------------------
Jason

JD
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2011 07:01 PM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Tundra, I have a good scope mounted spot that I`ve used for several years now, I`m gonna give that predator lite/ headlamp a try though. LB I didnt see your post, the tripod thing was just too much for me to carry along with all the other garb. Like I said, I`m getting old.

--------------------
Jason

Baldknobber
Member # 514

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2011 07:28 PM      Profile for Baldknobber   Email Baldknobber         Edit/Delete Post 
Tundra, the Nite Lite is a coon hunting rig that I used to use years ago. It is designed to mount on a hard hat or cap. That would be handy for scanning, or you could just scan with it by hand and then after something is spotted shut it off and let it hang over your shoulder by the cord while using a scopelight.

LB, I thought about mounting a light on a monopod and just swiveling the bipod when scanning, but hate to give up the stability of my bipod.

I'm still leaning toward the Nite Lite\XLR 250 combo which would end up being about $220 total. I've got to check the Flashlight section at Bass Pro in Springfield, hopefully this weekend.

--------------------
JTBMO

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2011 08:21 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Here are some pic's of my set-up. Sounds like Baldknobber has the same nite-lite as me. The neat thing about the Nite-lite is you can go from flood to spot light and it has a pretty strong and narrow beam so you don't get all the shadows when moveing it from side to side.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/TA17Rem/007-3.jpg[/IMG]]  - http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/TA17Rem/006-4.jpg[/IMG]]  -

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5080 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
JD
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2011 09:11 PM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh boy!!! Is that the "pred"!!? Thanks for the stage shot Tim, none of us have ever seen a light mounted to a scope before, I`m all a twitter with excitement!! And you have red lenses too!!! Cmon Tim tell us what those do, please!! Are you gonna teach LB how to use a red lense!!?? Huh are ya?? Can I sit in on the lesson today!!?? Huh can I Tim?? Oh boy!! What are those black thingys & all those wires & stuff for??!! Cmon Tim tell us!!!

Alright enough of that nonsense

[Smile] I couldn`t resist

Good info guys, Thanks, I`m gonna go check out that XLR and comparable lights also.

--------------------
Jason

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2011 09:27 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
No its not the Pred.. You should of known that..

As for the Red lenses you tell me.. I don't use them here.... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2011 10:35 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but what is that rifle? Looks like a Model 600 action?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2011 10:36 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Close enough leonard.. (XP-100 action)

--------------------

JD
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2011 11:25 PM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
There aren`t any signatures on it, what gives? Can I sign this one? I promise not to write the F word on it. (much)

--------------------
Jason

4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2011 03:24 AM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
JD I tried some home brew methods myself.

What is kinda funny to me though, is with the recent increase in predator hunting popularity, and all the new gadgets and gizmos, I took a suggestion from another cop on my choice of shotgun mounted light. Two weeks ago I fell 5 times on this ice covering our snow. The Surefire took a lickin' and kept on tickin'. Even the simple Tacstar mount I used held up.

Baldknobber
Member # 514

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2011 05:49 AM      Profile for Baldknobber   Email Baldknobber         Edit/Delete Post 
TA, thats what Ive got in mind, only with XLR 250 scope light. How far will the nite lite reach out with whe red lense on. I am a little concerned about that. I would be hunting some very open ground.

--------------------
JTBMO

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2011 05:57 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I've tried some wacky light gizmos too. Couple years back, I modified a swiveling monopod for use with a 170. I can pan for eyes with the simple twist of my left wrist, with the gun at the ready all the while. Only drawback is toting that stinkin' battery pack around!
 -

In the last few years, I've happily settled on a good ol' Streamlight Ultrastinger. The fact that I'm usually night calling on a blanket of snow is a great benefit, since I don't need all those lumens from the 170 to ID and shoot. I have a Butler Creek 'blizzard cap' (clear lens) on the end of the Ultra, and colored the clear lens of the blizzrard cap in with a red Sharpie. Should I want WHITE light, I flip up the cap...

Since we can't hunt from vehicles in NY and PA doesn't allow for weapon mounted illumination, I love the portability of the Ultra. I slip it in a belt loop & off I go on foot!
As for panning, I sit with my gun in the stix and scan for eyes with my left hand. Movement is minimal and more importantly the light is out front of my position, so I'm not splashed with light! When I get 'eyes' approaching, I simply hold (wedge)the Ultra up into the left leg of my stix, just under the cradle where the gunstock sits...
Works GREAT!
You can see the Ultra in this pic...

-

[ February 10, 2011, 06:03 AM: Message edited by: knockemdown ]

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
fgf4
unknown comic

Icon 14 posted February 10, 2011 08:47 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
I do remember seeing that setup Fred! Not a bad idea... about the best you can do for scanning alone. That could be done with a smaller, lighter weight, LED light.

Now about those camo pajamas... all I can say is... no, I'm not going to say it!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Nikonut

IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2011 09:28 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
At least we were spared the G strap Beefcake.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

fgf4
unknown comic

Icon 14 posted February 10, 2011 11:19 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Ya, and I haven't posted pics of Fred modeling the "Buckethead" at the OPHA Hunt for that very reason! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Eek!]
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2011 11:48 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I never would have guessed! Kelly dresses like that? edit: I misunderstood, but where did Fred get the buckethead? I'm so confused!

Good hunting. LB

[ February 10, 2011, 11:50 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

fgf4
unknown comic

Icon 14 posted February 10, 2011 12:31 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Fred is actually Buckethead Prostaff.

Not sure but after his modeling debut he may have even been promoted to "Northeastern Regional Distributor" or something like that...

Fred had the new, "Hillbilly" model on display at the OK hunt. With it's dual hydration units and coonskin camo it's already a big hit and will no doubt be a best seller. It even features a comfort adjustable safety liner! Should work well in rocky terrain or heavy cover.
I think it's called the CBEX Special(?), for "Coonass Buckethead Extreme". It's also setup for yet to be announced easy add-on's. Rumor has it an "Automisting" unit and a night calling setup is also in the works. That's privileged insider stuff so don't let it out just yet.

Nikonut [Wink]

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters