The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » any AZ locals heard about this deal? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: any AZ locals heard about this deal?
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 2 posted May 15, 2024 04:56 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Any inside poop?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEMpuCXYCZM

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31569 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 15, 2024 06:54 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/prosecutors-say-won t-retry-arizona-rancher-accused-killing-mexican-man-rcna149920

I've hunted a bit around that area; I think as early as 1968 or 69. Back then, it was the first area where ranchers were running Brahmas, at least the only part of the state where I had ever seen them. This, of course lent a bit of exotic to the countryside, besides being quite a bit thicker in the vegetation. I remember a rumor, back then that there were escaped monkeys living in the trees. In some spots it was actual jungle.

But these days, it's a emigrant or wetback highway. In a long stretch all the way to Tucson, you can't take a step without having to avoid backpacks, water jugs and cheap blankets and sleeping bags. Describing it doesn't do it justice, you must see it to believe it!

I know nothing about th case, but what little I've read, this rancher was railroaded. I don't see how the state has a case, and it was a hung jury. So, now he's out of money, and the local Hispanic population apparently call him: DEAD MAN WALKING.

But it sounds like he did a stupid thing and was subsequently railroaded. 74 years old and facing more than 20 years behind bars, if he lived that long? That's all I know, at this point?

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: Hey Victor! You are from Tucson. Can you verify about the Brahmas that I personally saw down along the border and what about the monkey rumor?

[ May 17, 2024, 03:30 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted May 16, 2024 04:46 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Shaw can tell you about Brama's. he called in a pretty bid hear and was also some of those African bulls with bug thick horns

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5140 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 17, 2024 03:29 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Calling Victor! Over and out! 10-4

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted May 17, 2024 05:40 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
vic probably riding over the herd.

--------------------

Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted May 17, 2024 08:51 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
In that time frame, Brahma cattle were being run on some ranches. Bill Cowan, a local rancher here in Cochise county, ran quite a few, his daughter has a small portion of the ranch to this day and she has maybe 30 head or so?
The monkey rumor....never heard of that one, maybe a confusing experience of someone seeing a mob of Coatis'? They do resemble a monkey I suppose, long tail, run thru threes and roam in sometimes quite large numbers.

Posts: 1637 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 18, 2024 09:10 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes! I think you are right and I might have made a mistake! It was a new adventure for me, at the time, the furthest I had ever ventured from The People's Republik. It seemed like exotic stuff, to me at the time as I only had experience with the general Phoenix up to Flagstaff area because that's where my people lived. Besides, it was practically Mexico, but it was the first time I had ever seen free ranging Brahmas anywhere. And, I thought they were kinda neat.

But, that experiment, if you want to call it that, was short lived, although I worked right next to a kill floor in Vernon and in the sixties, they were getting some Brahmas on a regular basis, like one truckload a day.

There used to be a ranch north of Chino Valley that had the pretties white cattle I've ever seen. I only remembered it because we had killed a shitload of coyotes all along the boundary of that ranch. I'll have to sound it out phonetically: Charlaise.

Best I can do? And they were big. We would tease our buddies back in town, Good hunting, look for the white cattle!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted May 19, 2024 02:15 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I got time. now.

Anyway, I hunted with Shaw and some other guy right on the border. Think we was traveling west down a highway with border to the left side as I could see border agent pulling a drag. To the right of highway we had RxR tracks with good ground on other side of the tracks. We pulled over and crossed the tracks and climbed over a fence and set up to call. I think I was out in front and little to right and there was a stock stank there as well.
Shaw started to call and then I heard what sound like cattle stampede and sure enough here they all came from behind the dirt mound by stock stank, Looked like all bulls and all was packing horns.
Looked like Bramha, and those African cattle that have large dia. horns at the base and then grow out similar to long horn but just bigger in diameter and also looked like there was a few longhorns mixed in as well or some sort of cross.
Soon as I saw them coming, I knew this was trouble and grabbed my stuff and booked for the fence, think I had to crawl under it and Shaw just jumped over the top. LOL

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted May 20, 2024 06:30 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
....AND THEN YOU WOKE UP!

For a minute I thought you might have been around Yuma because they drag the road religiously, all night long. At the same time they have lights rigged in front pointed down so they can pick up tracks from between the previous pass. I remember asking the driver, one night how often, they drag the same road and I THINK? he said 20 minutes? Anyway, it was often enough that they can pretty well figure exactly where they have got to since the last pass.

That's the only place, south of Summerton where they drag roads all night long. But that was then. Who knows now?

I've never been charged by cattle. They come running once in a while but it's not aggressive, more like they are expecting the food vender. All bulls? Never saw that, either? Intact bulls? That's doubtful, Amigo? They are always confined and separated, they try fucking even steers!

Maybe you were in New Mexico? They do have an abandoned railroad track and a bunch of downed telegraph wire all the way to El Paso. And, little red signs saying Republic of Mexico practically right next to the raised railroad bed. There's a station building about halfway, is it called Tres Hermanos? Something like that?

Good hunting. El Bee

[ May 20, 2024, 06:32 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 20, 2024 07:26 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I've never felt threatened by cattle, either.
Feral burros in Nev. on the other hand ......... [Eek!]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7642 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 20, 2024 04:23 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, and there again, you know up in Bishop they have a Pioneer days round up and most of the time you might see at least 50 Burros, maybe more? I think the locals round them up. But they are pretty tame, at least there in town. This big Pow wow type of thing is around Labor Day, I think?

You know where they have a lot of burros? Alamo Lake, it's not far from Quartzite. Loaded with Burros.

Good hunting. El Bee

PS I knew a guy, name of Dochef, and he claimed that he killed 50 Burros in Nevada. Get this! With a 17! He had one of those Wildcats like a/hell I don't remember? Maybe a Javelina? But this was before they even made the 17Remington, Mark 4, maybe? Doesn't matter but he said head shots. Anythings possible, but why?

Good hunting. El Bee

We used to joke about that guy. Always hunted alone. and he would come back to check in and his rig wasn't even dusty! He never had coyotes either, usually gray fox or a cat. Weird dude, fat Boy, lived with his mom! But, drove a real chick magnet, a 280Z with a custom paint job, Lime green with red flames! I wonder if it worked? Basically, I'd guess an INCEL? Oh, yeah I remember now, He liked to patronize joints like The Cottontail Ranch up on 95!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted May 20, 2024 06:18 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Koko and Leonard I grew up on dairy farm and cattle ranch and know what a bull looks like and what ones to stay hell away from. Go up to Montana or Idaho and call around their cattle, those fuckers are plain nuts. Cousin and other relatives get their cattle from there, open range cattle, mean s.o.b.s.
Cousins wife was in sorting pen with us sorting cows and they went after her and dam near killed her. Sometimes a little arm waving and yelling just don't work. LOL

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 21, 2024 03:30 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
El Bee;
If the guy's Z-car was a chick magnet ............. what was he doing at the Cottontail ????

Tim;
I've called in cattle, burros, a few horses, a couple of ranchers and a hippie. Most were entertaining but to become lackadaisical about anything that could potentially harm my pink & tender self would be foolish. Just because the cattle I've called in the past just stood around and looked goofy doesn't mean that the next one won't have issues & bad intentions.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7642 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted May 21, 2024 06:09 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
northern open range cattle are very protective. You could compare them to a herd of wild cape buffalo.
I ran dogs one year on a coyote they ran coyote right up into the cattle. Few cows took after the coyote and rest split up and went after the dogs.

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted May 21, 2024 06:15 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
ass for call ins yeah I've called in horses and wild mustangs on Res. Buffalo, sheep, pigs, wild turkeys and pheasants to name a few.
Night calling have had a few skunks and jackrabbits come in as well.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 21, 2024 05:02 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I once had to protect my caller from a horse on the res. He wasn't an actual mustang, maybe he went home when he felt like it? I didn't see any brands but he was a big boy, just didn't look like a mustang and they aren't ever alone, they at least have a few girl pony's with them. But this guy had a real attitude and he wasn't spooked when I interfered, so he was semi tame. But, just as mean as your average donkey. I didn't think I could save my machine but he finally listened to reason.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted May 22, 2024 04:12 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
The mustang Gov. brand is usually on the neck just below the main which covers up the brand on some.
When I worked in Wyoming use to go up into mountains and ride them on weekends and they make a pretty nice horse once they been broken and tamed.
Sure footed and know their way around if you get caught trail riding out in the dark. Lean back into the saddle and give them their head and let them take you down the mountain side. [Smile]

--------------------

earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted May 22, 2024 04:33 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Trapped around Alamo Lake for a few years.
Good trapping and you are right one mountain was nothing but burros. They'd stomp a trap as fast as you could set them.
Finally gave up trying to trap that mountain.

Last time we went down was cage traps on public land only. Butler valley was dead. Drought had taken out most of the creasote bushes and just about everything else. Poor trapping.
I think that was 2010 or so.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1110 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 22, 2024 07:00 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I used to bowfish Alamo in the spring and call that long straight dirt road from the lake to, I believe, Hwy 95. It was awesome calling for quite a while until somebody wrote an article for Arizona Hunter & Angler magazine telling all how great it was.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 22, 2024 07:54 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Might mean 85? Crosses I-10 at Quartite.

Good hunting. El Bee

PS oh, by the way, there are not a hell of a lot of Burros in Arizona, in general. I could be wrong, but I "think" they specifically congregate around Alamo Lake and the Bill Williams river....and that's it. There are quite a few on the California side in the vicinity of Needles. Oh, also a few near Oatman, AZ

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2024 06:44 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I just checked ............ it's 93.

As I understand it, there's a bit of conflict between the burro lovers and the fans of desert bighorn sheep. Burros tending to take possession of water holes and sheep hunters with guns who are forever trying to draw a tag.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2024 07:23 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that is an absolute FACT, ko ko! And the ENVIRO ASSHOLES want to close and destroy guzzlers in our desert. But, another thing about water holes is that lions ambush bighorns as they try to get a drink. This leaves G&F with a dilemma. Fucking lions are more dearly protected than the high dollar TAG Bighorn! So, the policy, encouraged by sheep hunters is to thin out the lions! Left to their own devices, they couldn't solve that quandary!

Good hunting. El Bee

PS I just slapped my first mosquito of the season, inside, and it left a bloody squished mark on my arm. That means he already got either me or Tillie? We have these little black fuckers with a white stripe on the legs. They are rather stupid, as mosquitoes go. They like to breed in bird baths and just about everybody around here has a bird bath. I have TWO. They get filled by the sprinklers and that's the problem!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2024 11:33 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Lion versus sheep, what do I do ?? HELP MR. WIZZARD !!!! [Confused] [Confused]

This is what happens when G&F is staffed with the book learnt college grads instead of salt of the earth common sense folks.

Sadly, it's only gonna get worse. Will the day come when your personal DEI / Woke score affects your odds of drawing a tag ??? I wouldn't bet against it.

And for Gawd's sake, we NEED to ban coyote hunting contests because ........ well just because. [Eek!]

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2024 03:06 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Earth Walker;
Did you & your husband ever longline between Burns & Burns Jct. out toward Malheur Lake / Refuge ????
About twenty years ago ???

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2024 03:55 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I would rather see the sheep killed by a lion than a hunter, least we know the meat not being wasted. I got idea wait till lion done eating and then go gather the Presious horns.

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters