The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » any AZ locals heard about this deal? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: any AZ locals heard about this deal?
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2024 05:07 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Well yeah, 'cause lions contribute sooo much $$$$ toward sheep management & water guzzlers.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7642 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2024 03:15 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Are the sheep or even antelope native to AZ or something that was hauled in for blood sport.??

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5140 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2024 04:50 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Native & native.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7642 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2024 04:55 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's as Left Wing as I'd expect from Minnesota!

The thing is, like ko ko mentioned, the animal rights assholes worry about Coyote hunting contests, and for years, we were far under their RADAR, but now that they know about it, OF COURSE, they have to do something about it!

It's absolutely none of their business, but, along with the misguided assholes that give their blessings to any type of hunting....as long as they eat it! That's a bit too CONDITIONAL for me!

That's like, you can drive to the CVS Drug store, if you need insulin, but if you are hankering for an ice cream, YOU SHOULD WALK!

This earth does not care, if a few people like to hunt coyotes recreationally. And no, they are generally inedible, but there again, who decides if it is a worthy endeavor, or an affront to civilized sensibilities?

The idea of a hunting contest doesn't even appear to a lot of coyote hunters. So, what? This is a matter of individual freedom. We don't tell you that you must subscribe to American Rifleman along with your subscription to THE NEW YORKER!

The whole idea of people sticking their noses into "hunt contests" burns my ass! We will never put a dent in the coyote population; number one. But this reminds me of the lion issue.

There are people that think of wild animals as "people in fur coats". For many years, hunters in California hunted lions. Hell, in AZ the Cattlemen's Assoc. had a bounty on cats! But, there are people that are offended by the idea that some Neanderthal would kill such a beautiful and rare animal as the Mountain Lion!

I know for a fact that when the state was issuing lion tags, there became a cut off when a certain number was reached, and it was about 70-75 kills. this was around 1970 something?

The dirty secret is that every year since, the State of California has been paying houndsmen upwards of 200/230 bagged lions every year on nuisance claims. I suppose the actual amount of money paid by the state for lion control is a closely guarded secret?

The Bunny Hugger community doesn't care that a million dollars are paid every year for lion control. Because, this is as necessary as garbage collection. They are just happy that a few hunters do not enjoy the blood lust of killing such a noble and harmless animal.

The problem is that since the lions have lost their fear of man, they have killed an unspecified number of humans. Before 1970, lion attacks on humans was unheard of. So far as I an aware, there have been at least five people killed and consumed by lions. The animal rights community is fine with that.

There have been several parks and recreational sites closed because of lions stalking children. These facts are not generally available without some deep seeking. I really don't know, but the lion mafia works very diligently to control the facts.

One last word. There is an article in American Hunter about the Billion dollar Animal Rights Movement. Among other things it mentions that these organizations do not spend a dollar to support local shelters. They spend millions on advertising and if they take in any strays they euthanize them as soon as they park the truck. Do not donate a single cent to any of these animal welfare outfits!

Good hunting. El Bee

My poorly misguided brother in law donated his life savings to ASPCA! He said; "I love animals" and I couldn't talk him out of it/ don't confuse me with facts!

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31569 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2024 05:06 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know that? Are pronghorns native to Arizona? Of course, they must have native desert Bighorns, but antelope? IDK? Somehow, I don't remember seeing them? But, I know that we have pronghorns in California way up in the extreme northwest corner, I've never seen one personally.

Where have I personally seen pronghorns? Nevada, now where they never were before in Nye County. And Texas, and Colorado, and Wyoming. And that's it, pretty much. Not saying they aren't in other states but I have not seen them with my own eyes. And, in Wyoming they have to be more numerous than coyotes, and that's saying something!

Good hunting. El Bee

[ May 25, 2024, 05:06 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2024 06:23 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
We have the American Pronghorn in the north and the Sonoran Pronghorn in the south.

--------------------

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2024 08:48 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I always hear that antelope have a tough time of it why I asked, you think they would have adapted by now to all coyotes and what have you unless they were over hunted and just can't catch back up in numbers. I seen vast herds of antelope in Wyoming parts of Kansas and Nebraska as well as western Dakotas. They all seem to thrive there till bad winter storm comes in. Back in Dakotas years ago in area I called in they had vast herds of antelope then one winter a big snowstorm blew in and killed dam near all of them.

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5140 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2024 09:10 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Down this way, it's mostly drought driven.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2024 12:26 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
We used to organize a coyote hunt in northern and eastern AZ at one time, and it was timed for when doe antelope drop their fawns because coyotes will follow a doe for days, just waiting for her to drop a defenseless fawn. It was called The Antelope Eaters Hunt. A good part of it was for you know, community relations, although the numbers taken probably didn't make a dent in the fawn survival. Just a chance to get out in the off season.

But just curious. I actually do not recall ever seeing pronghorns in Arizona? Where are they?

And, this question comes from a man who has hunted in just about every part of the state, and I do not exaggerate! I've actually more extensively in Arizona than my own state, by a long shot. Most of my California hunting is southern and eastern Mojave and Eastern Sierra, and a bit along coastal areas, hogs mainly. But Arizona, I've been everywhere, north and south and east and west. But I do not remember seeing antelope? Maybe I did and just forgot?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2024 02:22 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
There's a small herd (or at least there was) of antelope near Bonita.

--------------------

Knows what it's all about
Member # 3918

Icon 1 posted May 26, 2024 06:50 AM      Profile for www           Edit/Delete Post 
Pronghorn were reintroduced to the Carrizo Plain in 1998, before it was deemed a National Monument.

Some of them spread to other areas. I have seen Antelope on the outskirts of Avenal and Coalinga California in the early 2000s. They didn't last long they were probably poached.

Posts: 193 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters