The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Varmint Hunter's Digest (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Varmint Hunter's Digest
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 30, 2024 07:01 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Was cruising around eBay, my favorite place to spend money I don't have on stuff I don't need and came across a post for the classic Varmint Hunter's Digest by Jim Dougherty. With shipping it's about $25. Well written and still relevant today. Somebody might be interested in it.

Oh, .......... and I got a Wally Tabor model Weems Dual Tone call while I was there. That was the first call I ever owned, since long lost, actually bought at one of his Sports Shows from Wally Tabor himself. Called in my first coyotes with that call and yes, I'm going to take this one out and use it.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7619 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted April 30, 2024 10:42 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Now, who's a degenerate?

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31535 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 30, 2024 12:25 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Why would using a classic call for what it was designed to do make someone a degenerate ?????

[Confused] [Confused] [Confused]

Good thing that I didn't buy either one of the wood Circes that are listed.

[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7619 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 30, 2024 01:51 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I have the whole set of Varmint hunter ass. mag.s except one. (based out of Pierre)

I would lend them to you Koko but I think they too high tech. for you. [Big Grin]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5119 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 30, 2024 05:48 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
S'ok ............ I don't read ass. mags.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted April 30, 2024 07:19 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Koko,
I’ve got that book. Bought it years ago. It really is a good read. And I love reading about the history. Especially the Arizona/California competitions. I bought all of those early Predator calling books back in the late 80’s when I first got started calling.
Varmint Hunters Digest by Jim Dougherty,
Hunting Predators for hides and profit by Wilf Pyle,
Predator Caller Companion by Gerry Blair,
Professional Predator Calling by Ed Sceery,
and a few years back I bought Coyote Man My life with the Coyotes by Ray Alcorn. All very informative books.

The Ray Alcorn Book is worth quite a bit of money. I think I spent about $30 dollars on it. They want almost $300 for it now on Amazon…..

Good Hunting Chad

[ April 30, 2024, 07:25 PM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Posts: 1650 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 30, 2024 07:59 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a pretty good collection of calling books but haven't got Coyote Man ...... yet.

--------------------

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 30, 2024 08:52 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a few of them. LOL

Hunting pred. for hide and profit; Wilf Pyle

Ped. calling; Gerry Blair (2books)

The coyote hunter; Don Laubach & Merv Griswald

Prof. pred. calling; Ed Sceery

Successful pred. hunting; Michael Schoby

Calling coyotes; Rick Jamison

Coyotes Pred. and survivors; Charles Cadieux

Coyote hunting; Phil Simonski

Coyote calling by the numbers; Tim Anderson

Critters come when called; Russel Tinsley

Pred. hunting; Ron Spomer

Pred. calling at its finest; Dennis Kirk

All you need to know about fox calling; Dennis Kirk
Critter call; Maj.

Fox calling; Richard Faler

3 Ring binder with most articles on calling coyotes, fox and bobcats from 70's into the 80's.
May also have a article or two in there on Scott Hubar and calling from Horse-back.
Couple articles by Randy Roede ( solid gold)

[ April 30, 2024, 08:54 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted April 30, 2024 09:10 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I’ve got a couple Articles of Randy Roede’s.
And some stuff from Bill Austin, and Verne Howey.

And I do have The Coyote Hunter by Don Laubach
Also have Coyote Hunting by Phil Simonski and Predator Hunting by Bill Bynum.
All good books with interesting takes on Coyote calling.

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 30, 2024 11:55 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
some pretty good others just a repeat on basics, only thing different is their choice of calibers to use.

I've read some of Bymams articles But he called mostly in south, so his book didn't interest me.

My top picks would be Jamison, sceery, Don L., Pyle and both guys mentioned for Fox books.

[ May 01, 2024, 12:01 AM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2024 07:36 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I stand corrected ........ I do have Coyote Man.
Plus all of those listed except the one by that Anderson feller. Will have to keep an eye out for that one.
Also have;
Clever Coyote, Young / Jackson
Murry Burnham's Hunting secrets
Calling all Varmints, Popowski
Predator Calls, Nistetter
and of course the classic
God's Dog, Hope Ryden

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2024 07:43 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I skipped on Burnhams book and just got the VHS tape instead.

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2024 08:04 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I have two copies of “Professional Predator calling” by Ed Sceery both signed by the man himself. That is my favorite just because that was the first Predator calling book I bought and is what gave me the passion for calling I’ve had for the last 35+ years.

Coyote Man by Ray Alcorn is probably my 2nd because most of the book is research and experience from his home state of Nevada and I’ve called most all the areas he talks about. Northern Nevada has been another place I’m passionate about.

Good Hunting Chad

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2024 07:12 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
This is interesting. I've never read any of those books. I've heard of most of them, of course. But just like the coyote hunting videos. They never interested me either. I was laid up a while ago, I don't even remember what, maybe when I had arthroscopic surgery on my knee? that was before I actually had the knee replacement. But anyway, Higgins sent me a whole box of coyote hunting videos. I never watched any of the, I think m. I watched the Predator Posse video and critiqued it online on one of the boards, but that's pretty much it?

I just didn't do much reading either. Although here lately I've read a bunch of books about African big game hunting, maybe 9 or 10?

I have had thoughts of writing my own biography, I actually did write some, in long hand, I don't even know what I did with it? Had it all wrote out on legal pad. I actually think I left it in the glove box when I sold my truck? Maybe, but no big deal anyway. Sometimes I think there is a wealth of information right here, from many contributors....and a lot of worthless crap. But that's the essence of the genre; gotta did through the weeds for an occasional nugget.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit:I just added it up; on this forum alone there are more than 6,450 posts. some have a few replies and others have 3 pages of replies. There's a lot to wade through!

[ May 01, 2024, 07:17 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted May 03, 2024 11:59 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Well Leonard if and when you write your Book I will be the first to buy it. I’m sure I will have hunted a lot of those areas you hunted in Northern Nevada.

NWalt needs to do the same.😉

I just love talking Nevada Coyote hunting. I loved talking with Danny Batastini about it before he passed. We hunted a ton of the same areas.

Good Hunting Chad

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 03, 2024 05:53 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Chad;
Did you ever hunt between French Glen and Winnemucca ???? The road to Hart Mt. or the long one to Jungo / Sulphur ????
Memories !!!!

[Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted May 03, 2024 06:04 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Koko,
Yeah around Rye Patch Res. Some. And along the Oregon/Nevada border. Never hunted into Oregon though. Both those areas are pretty good calling though. Hart mt. is a little further west than we typically go. But all around the Winnemucca area is pretty good at times.

I’ve hunted a lot up in the Owyhee desert too. North of Spanish Ranch, Deseret Res.,Winter Ranch, IL Ranch. That’s some big ass country you don’t want to break down in.

Lots of good spots out there in Nevada, not as good now as it used to be 25-30 years ago but still pretty good at times

Good Hunting Chad

[ May 03, 2024, 06:37 PM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 04, 2024 01:58 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Some of those location names rings a bell....

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted May 04, 2024 02:47 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh I’m sure of that😉
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 07, 2024 06:40 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
That Weems Dual Tone came yesterday. The sound is even better than I remember it. Just a sweet mellow tone to it. Truly studio grade!! Must be there's something to that walnut barrel after all.
I leave the coyotes alone this time of year to let them raise their pups but when I start up again in a few months I think that my goal will be to take a coyote with the Weems and the .41 Mag hand cannon.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 07, 2024 08:15 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Like for instance, Rye patch reservoir road to Rosebud Canyon. I know a few secrets about that area that I learned by accident. It's loaded with cats, if you know where they are and what they are doing. That's a valuable comment and I don't care to illuminate the subject further. I'd rather be mysterious. Besides, nobody in their right mind gives up cat secrets. Right?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted May 08, 2024 09:11 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I’ve called quite a few Cats all around that area. Doesn’t do you much good though with Nevada’s BS residents only regulation. 🤬
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 08, 2024 12:35 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that's always pissed me off. And then there are a couple locals that cash more than 400 pelts in Fallon every year. There's something very fishy going on!

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: and do not forget that northern Lynxcats from area 6 command the best prices, best quality fur.

[ May 08, 2024, 12:38 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted May 08, 2024 01:18 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, greedy bastards for sure. Really no other justification for it. Me shooting 4-5 cats out there as opposed to these trappers taking hundreds. Same deal with the fur harvesting Coyotes. Shoot as many as you want and leave em lay no biggy, but skin one out to save the fur you better have a nonresident trapping license. When the fur was worth something it was somewhat worth it but not anymore. It’s all about the almighty dollar.

Good Hunting Chad

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted May 08, 2024 05:57 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that's that I'm taking house back off the market and not moving to Nev. [Big Grin]

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters