The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Varmint Hunter's Digest (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Varmint Hunter's Digest
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 09, 2024 11:20 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Suit yourself, Tim. But, I'm sure you never had to worry about running out of ammo, in Jolly Olde Minneesota! But, that is a valid concern, in Nevada. Since you hastily took your house off the market, you won't ever have to worry; did I bring enough ammo? lol

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31535 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted May 09, 2024 12:29 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Ain’t that the truth Leonard. lol Had to shoot some factory standard .22-250 ammo a time or two in my .22-250 Ackley because we were killing to many coyotes. Good problem to have though.

Good Hunting Chad

[ May 09, 2024, 12:32 PM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Posts: 1650 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 09, 2024 01:14 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That was always an ambition, to run out of ammo. But I took such precautions that it never happened. And, I always had a spare rifle, except on rare occasions.

It could happen in Mexico. Seems like they had a 50 round limit, in Sonora? I'd almost rather run out of gas than run out of ammo. Terrible to contemplate either!

And that's a thing about Northern Nevada. You must do your homework on where to get midnight gas. And, for sure, pack bolt cutters because these ranchers with grazing rights think they own public land. As a courtesy, we would cut the chain instead of their lock, then rig it up so it looked locked after we passed. But you have to do what you have to do if you are low on gas!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted May 09, 2024 01:25 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah some guys don’t get that fact. You head down a two track you’ve been down a bunch of times with no problems and you get 30 miles in and find a locked gate on public land. Yep bolt cutters are your only answer.

As far as bullets go I usually feel safe going to Nevada with 30 bullets but like I said it’s bit me a couple of times. One time in particular was when I took my 30 bullets and my brother decided to just take his shotgun. Luckily he killed 5 with it and I was shooting pretty good that trip. We killed 32 Coyotes that trip.

[ May 09, 2024, 01:32 PM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 09, 2024 04:04 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a pretty good score, even on the reservation or Mexico.

But on the subject of packing enough ammo. I don't know about you guys but it sounds a bit different.

We always have a daylight gun and a night rig. and while I HAVE used a night gun in the daytime and my daytime stand gun at night but it is beyond rare.

Anyway, I forgot that we will usually have one gun set up for the long shots, Nevada conditions. In my case, it would be my 18 pound 25'06Ackley. Because, there's no sense in burning night time wandering around looking for a "possible" based on the sound of a hit. When I pull the trigger on that rig, it's a done deal and the landmark is established and we can confidently walk right out there, no searching and wasting time.

Well yes, sometimes that's not 100% true. I remember the time I had a cat down, up on a ridge and it should have been a simple retrieve, but after many back and fourths, no cat. Turned out there was a bush covering a three foot pothole with a dead cat curled up on the bottom, like he was just taking a nap. It was very easy to miss it at night. This was a volcanic area, lots of lava, and cats love to hunt rats in all those nooks and crannies. In fact, didn't occur to me at the time, but that cat could very easily have used it as a cozy little den, and just stood up to hear what those sounds were? Entirely possible.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted May 09, 2024 04:47 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
That trip I was even using my .204 Ruger all day time stands 3 1/2 days of calling.

As far as a long range gun or night calling rig. I’d probably grab my 6mm Remington 26” 1/12 twist shooting 80 grain Bergers at around 3500 fps. But that 25-06 Ackley would be a sweet setup for sure

[ May 09, 2024, 04:48 PM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2024 06:43 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had a couple 6mmRemingtons, Chad. It's a great cartridge. I also have a couple 243's but one is an Ackley Improved.

Anyway, maybe I've mentioned this once or twice, but I brought 2 rifles to Africa, a M700 Remington in 300WinMag. and my Model 600 in 6mmRem. Every singe animal I shot, from Kudu to springbok and Jackal was with the 6mm. Speaking of, damned near running out of ammo! The rule at the time was 5 pounds of ammunition, and I had every bit of that. I had 85gr. Sierra's and (wow) don't remember if my big game load was 105gr. Speer or 100gr. Sierra's? Anyway, I think I only had maybe 5 or 6 left? Of the 300's, I fired 3 shots sighting in and then never took it out of the soft case again. That always disappointed me, because it's a great rifle, but it was under PH (professional hunter) control and locked up every night, then in the morning, for some reason?, he only brought me the 6mm, every morning. Some shit about the firearms must be under direct control of the PH, all the time?

A bit of a funny story. We had been night hunting and came back very early and left a jackal laying on the lawn. When we got up, noonish, it was gone and he asked the black that was his yardkeeper/handyman and he had ate it! We both got an "Ewwe!" out of that, but the man never said "good eating" or anything negative, either?

Anyway, I love the 6mm, it's a damned good cartridge! I have much less experience with the 243 even though I own 2 of each. Frankly, there's not a nickel's worth of performance difference between them. But, it slightly favors the Remington chambering.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2024 07:11 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes the 6mm is a great cartridge, I own two myself. A Remington 660 which has a 22” 1/9 twist barrel and a Remington 722 that’s actually barrel stamped .244 Remington and has a 26” 1/12 twist barrel. Both guns are very accurate and yes they have a slight edge on the .243 Winchester.

Back to your 25-06 Ackley more than once I’ve been tempted to rebarrel my old Remington 700 .270 Winchester to 25-06 Ackley Improved just never pulled the trigger on the project. Probably won’t at this stage in the game. But I’ve always wanted one.

Good Hunting Chad

[ May 10, 2024, 07:57 AM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2024 05:46 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Always had ammo even when shooting was good. 150-200 rounds and yes, I carried 2-3 rifles in the truck.
When I hunted with group at one time its pretty common to only get running shots and no they don't always come running past at 100 yards. Know the area and roughly how the coyote is going to move through it or leave it. If it's going to be close, then grab rifle set up for close range or if it's a hard runner then grab the long-range rifle and make them shots count. Either you catch on to hitting runners or you have nothing in back of the truck by end of the day. Any rifle bigger than 22-250 ackly sucked for runners, too dam much recoil as you need to see your misses or hits.

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5119 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2024 06:28 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You got a Bill of sale on that Model 660? I bought one to tide me over while I had my first 25'06 built. But it was stolen! Pretty stupid but I never had the serial number! The model 600 I now have is chambered in 6mm also but it doesn't have a ventilated rib. If I am ever down on my luck, it is the last rifle I would part with!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2024 08:43 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
My brother has a Model 600 6mm with the ventilated rib. My 660 doesn’t have a ventilated rib. I think he has a 600 with a ventilated rib in 6.5 Remington Mag too. I have a little 600 non ventilated rib in .222 Remington too. Neat little guns. They all belong to my Dad before he passed. And we’ve just divided them between us. Gave my son a super rare model 660 .22-250.
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2024 11:10 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Those are under appreciated rifles, maybe ahead of their time? Lot's of people are a bit turned off by the dog leg bolt handle, I understand that, but it's positioned very well, not very different than a Ruger Model 77 when you think about it. I think it was originally chambered in 350RemMagnum and 6.5 with laminated stock?

Taurus is in the news with a rifle. The stock is ugly, not much to talk about, the bolt is twisted and grooved, as is the barrel and even the bolt handle. This is the trend, these days. They think they know the market. Yeah, maybe, but I like traditional lines. Those skeleton, combo Accuracy International Tactical configurations are being pushed for all around hunting applications.

Lot's of choices, and they all seem to be chambered in Vic'c favorite or 8.5 Creedmore (which I'm totally sick of, never having owned one) I like a bit more performance. Yes, I know it's impossible to wash out a 308 barrel! Big deal!

Old foggie rant for today.
Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2024 11:47 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I’m with you. I like the classics these new chambering don’t interest me at all. Same with these looooooong high B.C bullets. Maybe if I like to shoot steel at 1000 yards but I don’t.

Speaking of the 350 Remington Magnum. I have one of those too. But it is in a model 700 Classic.

My Dad was quite a collector of rifles.😁

Good Hunting Chad

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2024 01:05 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm seriously impressed!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2024 01:47 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah he really did have an eye for guns. Scopes though not so much. Most are really cheap. I took most of them off the guns. He did have a couple of nice vintage Leupold scopes on a couple though that I left on.

Good Hunting Chad

Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2024 04:10 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
I always liked the M600 platform too, just had a "cool" factor with the looks.
I did have one in Leonard's fav caliber, .308. I stripped the cheap plastic vent rib off and made it scope only , gave it a much cleaner line?
My only bitch with the 600/660 platform was the stock. For reasons unknown to me, something in the shape/comb drop, whatever it was, in anything beyond 243/6mm, they kicked like a fucking mule.
I shot my tidy little 600 .308 in a sniper match years ago and on a distant 3 target string, just couldnt get the drop on them. I think I ran three quick magazines full and literally cried uncle and told them to give me a scratch. That little sonofabitch beat me into submission. I had always heard the 350 mag was a pounder.

[ May 11, 2024, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: Az-Hunter ]

Posts: 1635 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2024 05:02 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I heard that too. No reason to doubt it.

But, 308, and punishing your shoulder, I suppose so? It's light weight maybe the stock didn't fit you, but they make 150 and 165 grain bullets, you didn't have to load 180 or 200 grain.

I use the Hornady 165gr spitzer in my 300WM all the time on mule deer and pronghorns. More velocity and better ballistics, hogs included.

You won't catch me fucking around with those extra long, high BC bullets. I already vented on that misguided activity.

But, 308 is such a "Granny" chambering, forget anything past 200 yards. I mean, I don't know, personally. I have a nice Model 700 BDL in 308Winchester and I bet I haven't put ...oh, maybe 50 rounds through it, ever? I bought it used. I remember carrying it up around Big Bear one pleasant day and I was very casual, I even saw a couple forkies, in high gear, so I never fired it and that was at least 25 years ago, the last time it was out of the safe.

But, now that I know Victor thinks so highly of that pedestrian caliber, I will try to be more respectful....if it kills me!

Another caliber I have no use for, never ownedone, is the 30'06Springfield. The last time I shot one was an M! in Basic Training. It's just another, neither fish nor fowl cartridge I just can't get excited about. It was the Cat's Ass in WWII and when I was a kid, everybody was buying 1903 Springfields and "Sporterizing" them. Not bad, that action is a Mauser copy so I can't fault it. There were some issues, people were carful about serial numbers, IDK? above or below a certain number?

I suppose everybody has cartridges they prefer over others? I have opinions. Most of my opinions are based on performance. My cousin Mike, being criminally left handed never could find rifles suitable for Lefties, at the time anyway, the choices were Savage and Weatherby. So I talked him into a Savage M99 in what was a new chambering, the 284Winchester. For a short action it's a hell of a performer. Hardly ever hear of it now a days? At one time they had a 6/284 wildcat that was popular, I almost bought one myself, but the guy was a coyote hunter and I assumed the barrel was past prime. I never got around to firing it before the guy wanted it back, so probably best to let it pass.

But, his market was narrow. Yeah, I would have no problem forming brass, but how many of us are there? I mean compared to nimrods that just shoot factory ammo. I never understood it? If you have a centerfire rifle, you are stupid if you don't handload for it. Some guys can't be bothered and don't even know how much they are missing. I won't go into it.. You either know what I'm talking about or you are ignorant.

End of rant
Good hunting. El Bee

edit: forming brass? How many of you guys do it in your garage? I do! I bought one of those cardboard cylinders for foundations and filling with concrete. I rigged an 8" square steel plate on the top and filled it with rolled up carpet and hung it from a rafter in the garage.

I have used a paper wad stuck in the neck and I used to use soft bar soap, just pushing it into the neck of the cartridge to seal it. I find a wadded up square of newsprint to be adequate. I can fireform a 100 cases in less than an hour, easily. Then these cases are formed enough, (just slightly rounded like a weatherby) that I can load them with hunting loads, which then completely forms the case, with sharp shoulders. It's a cool setup, no mess and easy.

[ May 11, 2024, 05:35 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2024 05:04 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I’m not a fan of the vent rib either so I was glad to have the 6mm,.222, and the .22-250 in a regular barrel.

Interesting story about the 660 .22-250. They never chambered that cartridge from the factory. But my dad had a friend that worked for Remington and had a .308 in the 660, didn’t want it as a .308 so he took a brand new factory .22-250 barrel and replaced it. Later Sold it to my dad. My dad always joked that he had the only factory Remington 660 chambered in .22-250.

[ May 11, 2024, 05:46 PM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2024 05:06 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a xp-100 (clone action of 600). Had xp-100 stripped down and barreled to a rifle in 17 rem. with another barrel in 17 rem, but different twist. (switch barrel rifle)
XP-100 action is a stiff single shot. Put a high comb lone wolf stock on it, left bolt handle alone and put canjar trigger on it. I think its action is shorter than a 600 action so shorter pull. Had the rifle built strictly for running shots and why I had a taller comb on stock.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2024 09:52 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You never hear of Canjar triggers anymore? Don't know why? They are slick!

I had a single set Canjar on my first 25'06, the one that was stolen. It had a Royal Arms laminated thumbhole stock.

That trigger has a little tab that sticks out of the middle of the trigger when you push it forward. You can still use it as a normal trigger. Both conditions are finely adjustable. It was such a slick rig, the whole thing, that it broke my heard when some asshole stole it! Along with my Model 660 Remington and my Colt Combat Commander. The 45 was the only one that I had a record of the bill of sale so it went into the National Database-forever. And, as I've said before, it was returned ten years later. the two rifles-nothing.

Oh yeah, that 25'06Ackley was built by P.O. Ackley himelf in Salt Lake City. I've had two more since, the second was a complete fuck up, but I still have the latest one, it's almost as good as the first one.

Of course, it never occurred to me when we had a black family behind me over the back wall, with 2 teenage boys. I didn't get suspicious until coming home from school one night and caught a glimse of what looked like a black male beating feet out of my garage. I mentioned that observation to the deputy's but; Gee those folks dint know nuthin'. <sigh>

Back in those days, I kept my rifles in a nice wood gun case with glass sliding doors across the front and one of those locks you put on glass front to keep the kids out of your stuff. We were naive in those days, I kept the car keys in the ignition, too. That was 49 years ago when we sold and moved to a better neighborhood. ONE YEAR, TO THE DAY! FROM FIRST BURGLARY TO MOVING IN ON NEW YEARS EVE 1976. And, the rest is history!

Good hunting. El Bee

[ May 12, 2024, 09:53 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2024 04:03 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I can safely say I have one of every brand of custom triggers on my rifles. No complaints with any of them. I keep my rifles in gun-cabinet my dad built me when I returned home from service it also has a bottom half which is for pistols and then 3 drawers.

I've only locked my house twice long as I can remember and always leave keys in the truck and one of the reasons why I still live where I live. Fuck that looking over your shoulder every time one goes someplace. [Wink]

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2024 04:24 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
https://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2012/06/stan-wares-radical-short-necked-wolfpup-for-hunter-benchrest/

A cartridge my Gunsmith developed years ago. He is gone now but some of his work is still around. He has a few old vid.s on U-tube doing some work on one of my actions. (XP-100)

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2024 08:51 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's very interesting Tim. Thanks!

BTW, that action looks suspiciously like a stock M700 Remington?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2024 05:44 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Depends which vid you looked at as there are some doing work on a 700 as well.
Plus bolt sleeving on another. The bolt on my xp-100 was sleeved as well.

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters