The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Coyote attacks (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Coyote attacks
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 14, 2024 10:49 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Coyote attacks seem to be on the rise this year due to the nice winter we had.

Man, and his dog was attacked by coyote just 30 miles from me which is a first that I know of for my area. The guy ended up getting bit in the arm fighting off the coyote before it ran off.

Seems to be a problem with coyotes in the San Fransico area as well for Leonard's part of the country. They seem to be hanging out around a golf course and a few cemeteries in the area. A dog walking ban was also put into effect for that area till Sept. when denning is over with. They interviewed a dog owner that has a German Shepard, and the guy claims his dog can handle 2-3 coyotes but any more than that it would be in trouble. I say keep dreaming as house dogs can't fight.

A 80 pound wolf mistaken for a coyote was shot last month in lower Mich. no charges filed.

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5083 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 14, 2024 12:36 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't think that it was just the 'nice winter' that we had.
(1) Coyotes are smart. Coyotes can maybe reason, maybe not but no denying that they're smart.
(2) Coyotes are adaptable. Period.
(3) Coyotes that are in any area where the mind-set is 'God's Dog' will eventually become a problem.

I would really like to meet the guy with a German Shepard that can handle 2 or 3 coyotes. I can be something of a bullshitter myself at times but it would be nice to meet a real pro to learn from.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7584 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 14, 2024 05:39 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Northern states the fur prices are close to zero so little trapping and not enough snow to funnel them into areas for snaring. Mild winter with very little snow so fewer hunters getting out after them.
What few coyotes being killed are from the night hunters but they only account for less than half.
Coyotes in south or by big cities have adapted but not where I live.

Myself I like a lot of coyotes around so quiet a few got left for seed for next year, can hardly wait. LOL Females are denning now so I'm in no hurry to kill any.
Tip for Leonard for night hunting, hit those cemeteries.
[Smile]

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 14, 2024 05:43 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Only as smart as you make them Koko.

Going to be interesting next year to see how the night hunters do or don't do since they keep bringing their bad habits with them now into night calling.

--------------------

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 15, 2024 07:36 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Critters evolve. It's the nature of things. There was a time when elk could be bugled in with a slide whistle. Now, there are many places where anything more than cow calls will put bulls in the silent mode heading for the dark timber.
There are even legends told around campfires of an old coyote hunter who called in coyotes while driving the two-tracks with a squealing brake drum. Now, it would take at least a studio grade hydraulic brake drum. Or at least a better call. Case in point; Places that have been pounded with the much maligned Fox Pros are producing coyotes with mouth calls. They've learnt that the 'electro-sound' is bad ju-ju.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7584 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted April 15, 2024 09:04 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
😂 So very true Koko!!!
Posts: 1626 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 15, 2024 10:33 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Places for coyote hang out romping room and free lunch.

Ranges from groves, citrus, Pecan, Christmas tree nurseries, to Date Palms groves and all up and down the Central Valley Vineyards.

& especially AIRPORT runways and grounds, GOLF COURSES, BIG TIME! They know when the sprinklers come on after dark to prevent evaporation.

Had not thought of cemeteries, but yes, especially where Nancy is the National Cemetery in Riverside, or where ever they occur. The Riverside National Cemetary is right across the highway from March Airforce Base, big roadkill location, I suppose?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31478 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 15, 2024 01:21 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Places that have been pounded with the much maligned Fox Pros are producing coyotes with mouth calls. They've learnt that the 'electro-sound' is bad ju-ju.
Not true Koko. you guys said yourselves in another thread sound quality not important and if any of the old F-P sounds are still being used today most of them are recorded hand call sounds. [Razz]

Also, a hand call is working cause that's what you are using at the time. Same can be said about a good E-caller if that's all one uses.
Yeah, coyotes adapt somewhat, they learn to stay farther back from the roads, or the easy ones got killed before you got there. Some won't approach a road in daytime, and some just take longer to call in. Some may have heard you pull up as well, big red flag. In another case some guys drive back into a area that's pressured just like the guys before them so those coyotes most likely laying nearby to where you drove in or at the outer edge of their terr. or across the road.

If I don't have coyotes show up on my stand my excuse is cause they not hearing me call to them or I was heard beforehand driving in. Also areas that get rattled by the AR guys really fucks them up but that's just how it is.

[ April 15, 2024, 03:50 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 13 posted April 15, 2024 08:27 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite bad guy, the AR15 rifle! We would be so much better off if that piece of shit had never been invented! America's Rifle!

I kinda hate to say this, in a way, but I am very uneasy if I'm hunting with a man with an AR. Not only, are they so fucking noisy, getting out of the truck and slam bang chambering a round, but the other alternative; oh, I just leave a round chambered and engage the safety. I can't help it, I don't like any option, and never mind, I just really DO NOT LIKE 'EM! I think the argument that they have that quick follow up, whether a miss, or on a double, I'd just as soon give the coyote a pass, as much as I hate to say it! Letting a coyote get away is against my DNA. But, I sincerely hate, (correction, dislike) the "TACTICAL COYOTE HUNTER" and I have bit, my tongue a few times, just in being polite. Can't help it!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted April 15, 2024 11:22 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,

My thought exactly. I Don’t care for them at all especially on a Coyote stand.

My son has a couple and I just roll my eyes, when he has it when we’re calling. The tactical look just drives me nuts too, he’s sitting there camo head to toe, AR-15 looking like some navy seal and I’m sitting next to him with very little or no camo and my old wood stock bolt action rifle and shooting sticks. Kinda funny when you think about it.

Good Hunting Chad

[ April 15, 2024, 11:28 PM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted April 16, 2024 07:19 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Thermal is kind of the same deal. Guys all decked out in Tactical helmets and all that other nonsense. Look like combat soldiers…
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 16, 2024 09:56 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, don't get me wrong on the total camo outfit. I have a good size duffle with camo for just about any application, but I'm still casual about the whole hog, top to bottom, gloves and cam boots and then smearing that grease or paint. Maybe a turkey hunter needs that shit, but I don't. Some guys go to the other extreme, Levi's and a checkered shirt, which, yes, can be done, but I'm wavering somewhere in the middle, I see some value in camo and wear whatever strikes me as useful.

Where I draw the line is at the ridiculous accessories! Camo flashlight? Camo knife? The last thing you need when you drop a useful tool is that it's camouflaged, there by making it that more difficult to find!

So,maybe what I'm saying is that overdoing it with the camo is for the "Wantabee" guys; in high school, we used to call it: PLAYING THE ROLE!

But don't let me discourage you, if you got it and feel better wearing it, I won't break your heart by laughing at you. It's not a negative, but it's not overly necessary. In fact, I'm more pro camo than negative camo. I'm not sure where I stand, I just think it's over done sometimes.

Take when we used to get catalogues from BassPro and Cabellas and Redwing and the rest, not so much anymore but the first half of the catalogue was in the latest $400 camo style Parka and pants, and camo raingear and YES, underwear! In the latest realistic and "PATENTED" styles and patterns! The real high dollar designs are computer designed and made with some fabulous fabric or material; even insect repellant impregnated! All this stuff really impresses the guys around the campfire!

Used to be your guns were talked about and bragged about, now in the deer camp, they want to know what is that dazzling camo pattern you are sporting today? It's getting out of hand! I should be embarrassed to show up in last years camo pattern! [Big Grin]

Good hunting. El Bee

[ April 16, 2024, 10:01 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted April 16, 2024 10:50 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh I do wear some Camo, I wear an old Natgear long sleeved shirt I’ve had for almost 30 years but mostly always wear jeans. And when it’s cold I have a Sitka gear coat and some camo wool pants for the cold but that’s it. Never really noticed much of a difference when calling. But if it gives a guy confidence so be it.

Good Hunting Chad

NVWalt
Does not claim to be overly bright!
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted April 16, 2024 11:32 AM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
I have shot so many coyotes out in NV wearing my favorite shorts ,sandals, and tank top. Just watching and sitting STILL until you could move was mostly what it took. BUT, they always seemed to key in on the hand movement and your lily white, well tan in my case face. and glasses. I found that a bandana ,camo of course lol and gloves were more important for me anyways. But the camo stuff did help out when you got fidgety and moved about a little let you get by kinda like a breeze in the brush. AND I did always wear my East German funky white, with the paint brush green splotches in the winter, poncho looking thing. The wife used to tell me when I was walking out to a stand I dissapeared after a dozen yards . I always believed her.
And that's my take on camo.
Those guys with AR's always seemed to go crazy chasing after those coyotes after they missed and a lot of them seemed to like the overkill aspect of multiple shots. Never cared for that but when you take people out calling it happens.
The wife would listen for a shot and if she heard two shots she figured I missed and for the most part she was right.

--------------------
Support Communism and help destroy the United States of America ! VOTE DEMOCRAT. "In the end, they aren't coming after me. They are coming after you!" D.Trump

Posts: 641 | From: Tellico Plains, TN | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 16, 2024 12:14 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think Thermal is kind of the same deal. Guys all decked out in Tactical helmets and all that other nonsense. Look like combat soldiers…
Thats mostly in Texas and wherever mule team six(O'Neal ops) is from and his followers.

Most of the good warm jackets and bibs come with some sort of camo pattern these days so just try find one that blends in, nothing fancy for up here. Brown Carhart's are common, but I don't like the jacket styles, not enough pockets.
Not much for bushes to sit by in my part of country either, just black fields or corn stocks.
For daytime calling I do like to wear full camo and like open country pattern.

Shorts and sandals?? Sounds kind of gay. LOL
[Razz]

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted April 16, 2024 01:10 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Like I said Tim if you need that little bit of extra confidence to be successful calling coyotes by wearing Camo by all mean go for it. I just haven’t seen any difference whether I’m wearing Camo or not. Seems like the coyotes come in either way. I agree with NVWalt, it’s all about sitting still that makes your stand or breaks it. Like spinning the caller around over your head.🙄😉

Good Hunting Chad

Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted April 16, 2024 01:34 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
You sound like you could be my brother Chad. My outfit mirrors yours. Most always jeans, faded blue denim long sleeved shirt and my 25 year old Natgear camo shirt that was ready for the rag bag 5 years ago.
My opinion, which is worth exactly what you pay for it, camo is over rated. Studies on coyote/canine vision claim their visual acuity is not to sharp, something on the order of 20/75.

[ April 16, 2024, 01:39 PM: Message edited by: Az-Hunter ]

Posts: 1631 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 16, 2024 03:24 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes I dress up, so don't get me wrong, I've nothing against camo, knock yourself out.

We always had a rule, hunting certain places, that we took care to look straight civilian, driving in and driving out. The reason was because driving around, could be anything, as far as motivation. But if the locals saw CAMO! well, that means HUNTERS! and sometimes, frequently, or most times, yeah we were hunting but didn't want the locals to pick up on it. By "Locals" I mean Mexicans or Indians, and yes, I've hunted a lot of reservations and Mexico. You just give the wave, and studied casual, and then drive on. Put the gear on when you get in the weeds.

But, some of these fancy hunting duds are rather pricey, have you noticed? Costs serious money to get properly suited up with names I have a hard time pronouncing, and worth it because this stuff will last a couple lifetimes, for sure!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 16, 2024 03:56 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Not confidence chad, just something needed when calling open country in Dakotas or at home on daytime stands. The old Santa suite won't fly here during day or night.

edit to add and you still a smart ass.

[ April 16, 2024, 03:58 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 16, 2024 04:08 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah Vic. agree you don't need camo calling in the bush country. in other parts of the country you do regardless of what chad thinks.

Coyotes vision? At night they will pick you out from 300 yards or less in open country if you move your hand or even standing behind a tripod which some callers use at night to get better view of coyotes coming in. Minn., Iowa and S.D. nothing like AZ., Tex. or N.M..
Sure, sitting down not much a coyote can see unless its on a ridge top looking down at you but on level ground most anything is good. Coyote can't see over anything taller than itself, kind of a no brainer.

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 16, 2024 04:29 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
First time I called with Scott he wore varis color patterns and first time I met up with Roede and went calling he was wearing same camo as me which was open country camo that matches sage brush and has a green tint to it with no shine. Scott liked to lay on his stomach or side looking down from ridge top. Roede and I like to lay just below the ridge and lay on our side or at times a sitting position. Coyotes coming in from below not a problem but the ones that like to go to a ridge top and look down into a area are the ones to watch out for. Don't matter if you wear camo or not long as we not hunting together.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 16, 2024 05:55 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I hunted with Huber and I didn't see him laying down. WE were all over from Sturgis to the Black Hills and back to Pierie which they pronounce funny. The main town gathering place in Kadoka is a 7 lane bowling alley, and for sure everybody knows everybody. Scott is a walker and maybe he knows his territory which is fine, but if it was a place that I would hunt, he burns through a huge amount of callable stuuff. It makes for a 3 stand day! But we saw coyotes, killed a few, and nothing got away which was a huge deal for him. Apparently an educated coyote is a big problem up there. Interesting country but walking in a mile and a half to make a stand is something that takes getting used to. In a way, it made me very grateful for the quality of hunting area that I have experienced over the years.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 16, 2024 07:06 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Leonard I took one of those long walks with Scott also. Saw nothing. Next day that area got flown by the plane and 3-4 coyotes was bedded up by the road about 1/2 mile from where we parked. As for laying down it depends on where you are hunting. Down on the flats by Kadoka just sit on ground but get out to some of the pastureland then lay on top of a hill. Its all about hiding or blending in from one area to next. no big whoop. And for the long walks Scott just not leaving anything to chance like truck being spotted or heard and so on.

[ April 16, 2024, 07:09 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted April 16, 2024 08:02 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
“ Coyotes vision? At night they will pick you out from 300 yards or less in open country if you move your hand or even standing behind a tripod which some callers use at night to get better view of coyotes coming in”

Total Bullshit!!!!

Wind you? Absolutely!! See your hand move at 200 yards in total darkness that’s ridiculous.

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted April 16, 2024 10:48 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
As far as the walking thing goes, we do ALOT of walking when out calling. It’s not out of the ordinary for us to make a 3 mile loop from where we park. Some of the Sage brush flats we hunt are huge and have no two tracks so we will walk 500 yards make a stand walk another 500 yards call again and continue doing it until we loop back to the truck. Not to bad unless you start calling lots of coyotes and 2 of you are dragging 3 or more coyotes each back to the pickup. Lol

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters