The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Coyote attacks (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Coyote attacks
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 17, 2024 09:38 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
“ Coyotes vision? At night they will pick you out from 300 yards or less in open country if you move your hand or even standing behind a tripod which some callers use at night to get better view of coyotes coming in”

Total Bullshit!!!!

Wind you? Absolutely!! See your hand move at 200 yards in total darkness that’s ridiculous.

Go borrow a thermal from someone you'll find out really quick.
Shaw caught it right away when he watched a few thermal vid.s where coyotes just moved from left to right and not towards the caller. coyotes new something was there just didn't know what.
No moon and total cloud cover yeah you get away with some movement and can park truck right on the road and just be 200 yards away from it.
clear sky or some moon then forget about parking truck on a road they see that from half mile. bank on it.

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5083 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 17, 2024 09:39 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a different deal, Chad. I'm talking a mile plus before sitting down for one stand and then back to the truck in a straight line. I know about those loops. Like when you can make a big loop and wind up close to the same road if your partner hunts the other side. There are a lot of ways to involve more country away from the beaten track. But let's not kid ourselves while hunting public land. It's actually a sorry state of affairs when you think about it and know there is so little country that hasn't seen a Foxpro.

I do feel fortunate to have called so much virgin territory in my time. The good old days really were precious, when you think about it. Now there are a lot of programs on You Tube, I saw one where they killed 5 coyotes on one stand, and it was filmed. Of course, the time I killed 6 coyotes on one stand, we didn't film it, but it was still a big deal. You remember stuff like that. I've killed 3 bobcat on a stand twice and those were also a big deal.

I sort of think the highlight reels are in the past, not to be seen again. It's pretty much past prime. It was good while it lasted, don't you think?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31478 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted April 17, 2024 10:03 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I definitely think it past. Oh sure we still have big days of calling, once in a while. But not the numbers that were in the past.

Not to mention every Tom Dick and Harry using dogs all year long even when it’s not ADC work, and Thermal with everybody using it lately and like you said everybody with a ecaller educating the piss out of them. I guess I miss the simple days when you could go out and use hand calls and call them all day long. Multiple different times.

And nobody even thought to film that shit. Maybe a few pictures to remember the trip by. It’s definitely a different deal now. I miss it…

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1626 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 17, 2024 10:06 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
As far as the walking thing goes, we do ALOT of walking when out calling. It’s not out of the ordinary for us to make a 3 mile loop from where we park. Some of the Sage brush flats we hunt are huge and have no two tracks so we will walk 500 yards make a stand walk another 500 yards call again and continue doing it until we loop back to the truck. Not to bad unless you start calling lots of coyotes and 2 of you are dragging 3 or more coyotes each back to the pickup. Lol
Before I met Scott I was out in my area and ran into Don Lubeck and Merv Griswald, Don was owner of E.L.K. products (yote buster) and they was out there trying to get some film on Don's yote buster call.
They drove a pickup back into a pasture and parked it about 5 miles from road and then went back to where the drainage started and walked their way to other truck calling as they went.

In mean time I hunted the next drainage east of them and just drove along ridge and hid the truck every 3/4 of a mile or so and walked in about 100 yards give or take and drop down into the drainage to call.
I called my way to the river which was roughly 10 miles from starting point and got 6 coyotes killed. In mean time the other guys walked their five miles and got just 3 coyotes.
Don gave me a Yote buster call, and I felt kind of bad cause they didn't do that well so I told him where a big blond coyote was that they could go after. Month or two later Don sent me a DVD from the hunt and has the blond coyote I referred to them on film, they did a good job getting that one.
I'd rather cover more ground and sit longer than do all that walking, thats what a caller is for. [Smile]

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted April 17, 2024 10:17 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
🙄🥱

[ April 17, 2024, 10:21 AM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 17, 2024 12:58 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
we will walk 500 yards make a stand walk another 500 yards call again
We call that spot and stalk here minus the caller. [Smile] [Razz]

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted April 17, 2024 03:31 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, if that’s how you guys back there Spot and Stalk it’s no wonder you guys think coyotes can see hand movement on a dark moonless night at 300 yards. 🙄
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 17, 2024 05:38 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Can't say for younger generation, but we can do it all here when comes to getting coyotes. If Utah, Nev, and AZ banned calling coyotes you guys would be fucked. [Razz]

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted April 17, 2024 09:00 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Lol, I can’t argue with you there Tim. As far as coyotes go you’re a Jack of all trade a Master of none. I only Call them and I’m good with that.😉
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 18, 2024 01:55 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Calling is just fine Chad no issues with that or even walking for them and calling for that matter. Done it a few times as well. Some places require for a caller to walk in and many places don't if you have some sort of ridge line to drive in along, but you won't have that everywhere either.
I always had to make a long drive to get where I liked to call and at times had a small window as far as how many days I could call before wind picked up.
So, I had to get as many good stands in as I could in short amount of time, just way it was.

Over the years been a member of many coyote calling boards mostly southern and western areas and they each had a way of doing things. Funny thing is most of them believed that Kansas is the same as AZ. or Texas, Wisc. or Tenn. and so on depends on who you talking to and where from.

Oh and a thing about thermals, they not that big of a threat in areas with heavy cover like AZ. for example. You need to have a lot of open ground in front or downwind of you, just not going to pick a coyote up in a thermal otherwise. A spotter would work well for locating cats (day stand) or hunting from back of a truck at night. Like mentioned the good old days are pretty much gone so either adapt or just find different hobby I guess.
[Big Grin]

--------------------

NVWalt
Does not claim to be overly bright!
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted April 18, 2024 02:23 AM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
I got to agree on the old days. It sure as hell is different now then it was back in the 60's and 70's.
And I do surely miss where I lived in NV. I could literally walk from my place a quarter mile and call up a coyote or bobcat, not to mention a domestic dog or two.
About pictures. My late wife would always ask me why in the hell do I need another picture of a dead coyote. It's just another dead coyote.
When the tv started showing shows about calling coyotes my buddy Ron wanted to get a camera and do that. I said to him . Why do you want to take something we love to do and ruin it by thinking we were some sort of cinematographers and turning it into work? If we wanted to work we could just do control work instead of having it not matter if we had a bad day.
Those 60's and early 70's were sure different than now. Guess you could call it the "Good old days".

--------------------
Support Communism and help destroy the United States of America ! VOTE DEMOCRAT. "In the end, they aren't coming after me. They are coming after you!" D.Trump

Posts: 641 | From: Tellico Plains, TN | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted April 18, 2024 09:17 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, on the GOOD OLD DAYS! When nobody knew what the hell we were doing? I can remember casually interrogating a young man at a gas station wherever we happened to be. Invariably they had no accurate knowledge of coyote or bobcat or fox or badger in the local area. Typical reply: "No, ain't seen no coyotes around here, but hear them once in a while."
And, this might be in prime coyote country, good cover, plenty of water, rabbits up the ass, etc. It was identical response if I might very casually mention bobcat; (and, just teeming with cats) "nope, never seen 'em around here."

What I'm saying is that "locals" generally had zero accurate knowledge of any game, except maybe deer. I know what you are thinking. They are lying to a stranger. I do not think so. Local people generally had no accurate information on where to go. And, if they were actually hunters, that became apparent right away, even if they had no intention of spilling their guts; they are always willing to talk guns and calibers.

I'm just saying that back in the good old days, none of these guys had a clue what we were up to.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted April 18, 2024 09:47 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Up here in Utah was a little different. When we talked to locals it was usually a rancher. Usually sheep or cattle. They said they had coyotes running everywhere and wrecking havoc on there herds. Most times it was a single or pair doing most of the damage. But the way they told it they had 10-20 coyotes eating them up.lol Made it very easy to get permission to call on there property though. And if we managed to kill one or two you would think the rancher had won the lottery. With all the coyote hunters out and about wrecking all the havoc now not a lot of ranchers give out permission to hunt there land any more.

But I do know what you mean about asking questions at the local gas station. Most don’t have a clue if there’s coyotes around or not so i don’t ask anymore. I do know that a lot of times in Nevada the people we got quite a bit of good info from were the State road crew guys they would hear them or see them cross the roads, or see road kills. It paid off quite a few times.

But again I’m with you guys I miss the good Ol days and for me that started in the mid 80’s. I would have loved to been calling in the 60’s and 70’s……

Good Hunting Chad

[ April 18, 2024, 09:55 AM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 18, 2024 11:05 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Old days? Mid 70's and early 80's for fox and mid 80's for coyotes when they moved in. Also started calling in Dakotas in mid 80's. Company, I worked for did jobs all over the Midwest and Neb. and Wyoming, so I got a chance to get around part of the country and do some calling on weekends. Res. in western S.D. was best place for calling mostly virgin ground as Indians didn't call coyotes back then and the white guys off the Res. didn't want to buy a lic. to call coyotes. Now days its all about calling contest, someone dies they start up a contest in his name. The Indians learned to call as well and now gates get locked on Res. just for them.

--------------------

NVWalt
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted April 18, 2024 05:26 PM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
Kinda dates us doesn't it Leonard. Best info I always got was from the basque sheep herders . And people just don;t seem to grasp the amount of damage a FEW coyotes could do to a flock of sheep when they were lambing. Same goes for the antelope herds that we used to have.
And yes indeed some of those older coyotes were indeed hard to get. But the challenge was fun for me at least and I have spent just a few months trying to get one that was a problem. Even the government trapper in our area has told me about a few he had been trying to get and what a feather in the hat when you tricked the trickster that had been tricking him for awhile. What a wonderful life we have had hunting the greatest little bugger God has created for our pleasure.

--------------------
Support Communism and help destroy the United States of America ! VOTE DEMOCRAT. "In the end, they aren't coming after me. They are coming after you!" D.Trump

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted April 18, 2024 05:48 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I forgot about the Sheep herders. Yes most of them around here are Peruvian. And they always tell us where the sheep kills are and where they were howling during the night. Those sheep killers can be pretty tough to call at times. But like you said they are a fun challenge…

Good Hunting Chad

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 19, 2024 10:25 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
If not knowing anything about an area, the gold standard for me is ROAD KILLS! Or, just as good, what some people called "Lums" coyotes crossing the road in front of you. But we just called them CROSSERS. There is a place we won't talk about, but I passed through the area coming and going from a really prime area. And this involved quite a few years, logging quite a few miles. It didn't look like much, just casually observing as we drove through. Nothing stood out, studying a map. But, over the years, we would see crossers, but there was no access. It was actually a bombing range, but we "found" access, and it turned into a place worth the effort, to dedicated fools like us. It's just that some places require detective work and dedication.

There are a couple spots, a certain town, a little 'berg, with two locations on opposite sides of town, namely, the dump on one side and the little airport on the other. If you couldn't score there, there's no hope, even Tim could kill a few, at high noon, with not a lot of effort. Sorry Tim, just kidding! Really! There's another, abandoned Army barracks with nothing left except the foundations and a network of dirt roads in a grid pattern. And, lots of jacks. Makes it interesting.

Enough, Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted April 19, 2024 11:30 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that’s the most interesting thing about Nevada. There are some areas that don’t look like they would have Coyotes but are full of them and other spots you look at and think you are going to kill the mother load and Nada. I LOVE Hunting Nevada always have. It’s just one of those last places you can get lost in another time. Wyoming is probably second but doesn’t compare to Nevada in my opinion 😁

Good Hunting Chad

[ April 19, 2024, 11:34 AM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 19, 2024 11:36 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I never seen much for roadkill till last few years, either have more around or they not evolving like Koko seems to think.

Trips west I looked for road killed deer that lay in the ditches and would slow down enough to see if they been fed on by coyotes and another sign was fresh tracks in the snow which tells you they around and where they came from and where they went. Dead cattle on Res. was another give-away. On Res. I would see scat in middle of road which told me the coyote was crossing it and claiming both sides as his own.
Drive a two track through one of the pastures and pick up a coyote track on it, would follow it to see where it would go. Many times would come to another gate and either the track went through onto next pasture or stopped and then turned around and went back.
Go through the gate and then see another track that came from another direction and stopped just before gate and then turned around and went back.
Tells me two coyotes met up that night and both barked at each other saying you better not come any farther. LOL Terr. line....
Many times, the tracks would follow the two track on a ridge and then turn off going down into one of the drainages either left side of road or right side. Dead give- away.

--------------------

NVWalt
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted April 20, 2024 08:47 AM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
Peruvian, yes, I actually didn't remember the Peruvian and mistakenly called them Basque. Please don't tell me I am getting the onset of Biden syndrome,lol.
One of the places in Nv that you never would believe held coyotes was the shadscale flats. If you had a way, terrain wise, to sneak in without being spotted from a mile away then just get in a good prone position you would always seem to get some.Sometimes it might take upwards of a half hour because they had to have come from a pretty great distance and then other times all of a sudden you had one literally standing right there in front of you making you believe you must be blind as a bat Just how is it they can appear,seems like, right out of the dirt right in front of you. Considering in a prone position you are way taller than that brush. Biggest problem was finding a low enough spot to hide the rig and sometimes the hike to a spot unseen was really a challenge. But believe me, you don't run into other coyote hunters out there because it just doesn't look like anything in it's right mind would be living out there...Do miss the old stomping grounds.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 20, 2024 09:05 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Following tracks? In desert or hardpan, it would take a mud puddle to display a footprint, and the odds of following it through a gate and he meets up with another....I just don't know where that would happen except perhaps in Minnetonka land? Oh? Maybe he means in fresh snow? That's possible?

Take the famous Blackrock Desert. Of course, now the lunatics have fucked that up but anyway, there is no place where a footprint would be displayed, except maybe occasionally from a distinct Vibram sole.

Good portions of the west do not lend themselves to footprints or paw prints and if they do, you can't tell a Labrador from a kit fox in windblown sand. We have really sandy areas where you can see a snake print for a day or two, maybe a rat tail? But identifying prints, (of any kind) is very difficult.
Even following a blood trail where everything is various shades of brown rock. It's tough, but brushing up against bushes is possible to detect. bleeding from the body, sort of, will paint the brush as they pass by.

So, wet Minneesota does have some advantages. That's if the song dog doesn't Bang/flop. That's the chance you take if foolish enough to use an AR15 chambered in 223. That's more grief than I ever wanted to attain; advice, don't do it!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Dan
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4563

Icon 1 posted April 20, 2024 10:04 AM      Profile for Dan   Email Dan         Edit/Delete Post 
Coyotes, yeah, they duck speeding bullets only to be run over by a car they apparently didn't see coming.
Posts: 42 | From: AZ | Registered: Nov 2014  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 20, 2024 10:32 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Walt you pretty much described what it's like here on the prairie half of the state. Farmers also plow right up to the property lines so there is no brush or tree lines like other parts of the country. Coyotes make an approach they tend to follow the contour of the land and stick to the low spots which may be just a foot or so lower than rest of the ground. Some areas little hilly so you can find a high spot to sit and watch their approach. Hiding the truck is biggest challenge.

Yes, Leonard snow helps a lot when comes to finding tracks or drive a gravel road after a rain and keep an eye right on the shoulder to where it meets the grass as the gravel is little siltier there.

Tracks don't last long in the dirt so if you find a nice clear crisp track its from that night, if has a fuzzy look then its old but still tells you a coyote or two are around.
Find a track then scan with your eyes out into a open field and look for cover such as brushy creek, small wood lot, CRP, or a farm grove. Thats where they are.
The nice part about running dogs and using a Garmin GPS with bird's eye view is it shows you exactly where the coyotes like to bed for the day and is passed on from one year to the next even with a new coyote.
Just like good calling spots that produce every year, if they don't then you killed too many or no new ones have moved in yet.

Last summer I worked south of twin cities and company had four gravel/sand pits. If it rained over the weekend come Monday morning there would be fresh coyote tracks in the pits. Coytes come for fresh water plus I think they like the smell of fresh dirt.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 20, 2024 11:05 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't you think it's the second car that nails 'em?

Did I ever mention my pondering road kills, road kills all over the place and like with dead bodies, I never ran over a coyote....until I did, deliberately!

SO, there I was, me and a buddy in his V dub, we were scouting some parts of southern AZ, just goofing off, not much serious hunting.

Middle of the night, like after midnight, for sure, and no traffic at all heading down 85 towards Lukeville. I'm driving and I see a flash of eyes ahead, right on the highway.

So, for sure, I wasn't beyond pulling over and taking a shot. But, now I could see that this was apparently a pup coyote and he was staring at his shadow cast by my headlights. I don't know if he was aware of the oncoming vehicle, but it seemed he was trotting right down the centerline sort of chasing his shadow?

About then, I'm thinking this is strange because they run off the side onto the desert, normally. But, he didn't. He was running down the middle of the two lane highway, not another set of headlights, behind me or oncoming, and I suddenly got the bright idea/impulse to run him over, and I started bearing down on him, ever careful that he might dodge off to either side....without signaling!

Anyway, babump, bump and I ate him up and then stopped right on the road and thurned around so I could use my headlights and stopped right in front of him; and he wasn't dead! Volkswagen, very little ground clearance but this pup coyote was probably a 12-15 pounder and I don't know, maybe he could have just been stunned, so anyway, I stood un his neck and he expired rather quickly.

But, I accomplished something that had been bugging me. As much as I drive the desert, day and night, when I assume the majority of the roadkills occur. But never before, or since have I ever come close to hitting a coyote. I damned near hit a buck mule deer, twice! He made the side and inexplicably, he turned a 180 and crossed the road back where he came from and this time I really did almost hit him!

But, you know, in my weird ponderings, I always wondered about road kills, just like: why can't I ever find a dead body, like I read about in the paper, once in a while. Somebody stumbles on a gang killing and dumping the body at the bottom of an offramp in a plastic bag, and then informing the authorities.

I always thought, same thing, as much time as I spend highways and byways, day and middle of the night, you would think the odds are, that eventually I would stumble on a dead body; and then one night, I DID! So, another (sort of) GOAL. Found a body in the desert; check the box!

So, anyway. One more event, just like your first triple! Know what I mean, Jelly Bean?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted April 20, 2024 01:08 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second your experience on road kills Leonard. With out sounding like a braggart, I'd hazzard Ive driven more miles on a constant basis in coyote inhabited country than anyone I know.
Ive currently lived in Cochise county since 1968. Worked the whole county driving on average 300 miles five days a week on my old payphone route, which I logged over a million miles in 15 years, then as a service technician/cable splicer for 16 years driving all over the county to jobs. Thats not including the weekends out driving around the county hunting or looking for artifacts.
Never once, have I hit a coyote with a vehicle. Closest I came was like Leonard, tried on purpose to grab a pup that ran in front of me on a motorcycle as I was heading to work. I didn't want to kill it, just catch it to take home, it was quite young, looked to be 8-10 pounds?
Never could catch it, chased it on bike into desert off road and tried to bowl it over with my foot as I pulled along side it, but to many mesquites to keep a good line on it.
Ive hit 2 deer, half a dozen javelina a badger or two and a kit fox, but never a coyote?

Posts: 1631 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters