The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » 4th

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 4th
NVWalt
Does not claim to be overly bright!
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted June 29, 2023 08:17 AM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
You all have a safe and wonderful 4th of July weekend.
My newest batch of beer is getting opened as I type..Preparing for the weekend early by cleaning up the ol golfball mortar to make some good old fashion black powder smoke and noise.

--------------------
Support Communism and help destroy the United States of America ! VOTE DEMOCRAT. "In the end, they aren't coming after me. They are coming after you!" D.Trump

Posts: 636 | From: Tellico Plains, TN | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 29, 2023 10:21 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Friends of the Peanut Gallery, I don't know how, or why it happened? But, as a kid, the 4th of July was a loud extravaganza from early morning to after dark and the obligatory city fireworks display after which we would break out a large box of assorted fountains and sparklers and there would be the last thing rolling around at the bottom of the box, something called "snakes", you lit them and they burned in a black crooked thing around a half inch in diameter, and as unspectacular and boring as it sounds, but signifying that it was the last thing, closing out the whole shebang and leaving dirty black marks on the sidewalk. And, by the way, all the dead Piccolo Pete's and Roman Candles and fountains and a debris field that some grown up would have to clean up.

I am quite certain that my hearing loss began when I was not more than 6-7 years old and able to wield my dad's sledge hammer and explode a whole row of caps, and usually had to keep beating on the roll until they all eventually exploded. This was when we all owned CAP GUNS that you loaded with a roll of perforated caps that produced a decent bang with every pull of the trigger.

We had a sort of dart or a bomb that you could unscrew and load with the square flat "caps" and we would double them up and throw them as high as possible, at which point, they would turn around and impact the pavement and go bang! Rinse and repeat!

We had some various colored balls that you could throw against the ground and they would explode, there was a bigger one about the size of a Jawbreaker, and they were silver and louder. Beside that we had Chinese firecrackers, Peony brand was a good one and Lady Fingers and a few Cherry Bombs, but M80's came much later. I'm pretty sure all exploding firecrackers came from South Dakota, probably from reservations?

Now a days? It's rather pathetic. Every community has outlawed ALL FIREWORKS because some retarded asshole lit off a firecracker in a glass bottle and blinded his little brother! In my day, it was normal clean fun. I don't/didn't know anybody that got their hand blown off by holding a firecracker in their hand a fraction of a second too long. Yes, occasionally it was close but playing with matches carry's some risk, no surprise there. So, wear a friggin' helmet, ya big sissy!

They have emasculated and sanitized Independence Day so that you cannot possibly get hurt unless your big brother squirts some yellow mustard in your eye, possibly by accident? It's a snore, these days, actually boring. Nothing like when I was a kid. My dad would buy these little twin US flags and they would stick on the fender with a suction cup; very corny and patriotic. Now, you can celebrate the 4th by clicking a link on your cellphone of a night time fireworks display. WOW! BFD!

To my way of thinking, it's diminished, we have lost the entire concept of the celebration of Independence as it once existed within my memory. In fact, these days Juneteenth is a much bigger deal! Gag me with a spoon!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted June 29, 2023 11:21 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
The 4th was part of an early education; If you played with dangerous things and were smart, you could have fun but if you played with dangerous things and were stupid you would get hurt.
It was the beginning of common sense.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted June 29, 2023 02:53 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Come on now Leonard, we need to move beyond the trivial, things like independence and patriotism. Much greater matters to face now. We need a month to embrace those who pretend to be a sex other than that which they were born, we must pretend make believe with them.
We need a month to celebrate black history, to combat and defeat white supremacy and racism. Those things the progressives have made more demand than supply out of.
There are folks that pretend to be "furries ", we must pretend too. There are men who pretend to dress as women and sing and play with 7 year olds in school, we must celebrate and pretend with them.
Our government pretends we must pay billions and support a sleazy little dictator in Ukraine, we must celebrate and pretend with them.
So many important issues abound greater than celebrating independence day. Let's quit bitching and fighting it, let's do the right thing and pretend as we're told.

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted June 30, 2023 02:56 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Enjoyed the snakes.
Since working in wild land fire haven't done the 4th thing for 41 years.
Now can't afford them and we have a ton of grass growth this year.
We hit 84* for the first time. Grass will start curing fast now.
Too scared of fire to set anything off.

Doesn't stop anyone around here though.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters