The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Seasonal warning (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Seasonal warning
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 27, 2020 02:47 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
People we need to be careful, it's already warming up. This morning, I saved a male Blubelli that got into a 5 gallon bucket and couldn't get out. Every year a few die because I forget to turn those buckets upside down. They can't help themselves, need to hop down in there but can't hop back out and it's sad.

If the lizards are out, snakes can't be far behind. Watch your step!

Good hunting. El Bee

PS who was the first snake that said: Hey guys, I know! Let's get rid of these feet and wiggle around on our belly instead! Bad idea, now everybody hates 'em! And, they can't jump for shit!

[ February 27, 2020, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted February 27, 2020 07:22 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
7* this morning.
Still have 7-8" of snow on the ground .
Our high was 37*.
More snow coming in this weekend and first of next week.
I will trade you. We've had snow on the ground since October.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 28, 2020 08:58 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll trade ko ko. For sure, he's prancing around in shorts and sandals.

Actually, this morning was 63 when I got up. Yesterday, it was 50. I'm telling ya, Spring is just around the corner! All you kids out there in the Peanut Gallery; do you remember Princess Summer Fall Winter Spring?

My kid couldn't get enough of Engineer Bill. And, he always flunked MILK DRINKING. You know; Red Light, Green Light!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 28, 2020 09:38 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Still just a wee bit chilly at night over here. Snakes are likely coming out of the dens mid-day to sun but returning in the evenings. They'll be dispersing soon, though.

Still another 21 days 'til the Equinox.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted February 28, 2020 04:07 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
First Off flip flops are not sandals ! still in the teens and twenty's at night got up to 60 today snakes are a ways off ! Biggest rattler I ever saw was in January in Palm Springs ! sunning itself on a rock.

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 28, 2020 05:33 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I was GOING to say, "flip flops" but thought it sounded a little faggy. And yes, I also have seen rattlesnakes when you would not expect them to be out....however, they are usually docile and prefer being ignored.

Yeah, well, this is true that snakes might be a ways off, but if my lizards are active, it's something to keep in mind.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: also, Ethel has been out of her burrow a couple times since the first of the year.

[ February 28, 2020, 05:37 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted February 29, 2020 05:14 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Weather peeps saying Boise had a warm winter.

We hit 43* yesterday felt balmy. I started moving snow piles before the flush happens so the shop and pump house doesn't flood out. Most of the big piles are out of the way of the house so shouldn't have any water in the crawl space
Warm this morning 18* [Big Grin]

--------------------

TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted February 29, 2020 08:26 AM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
we were having a warm dry winter until Feb rolled in. It all averages out. Weatherman said last night that Feb. was sitting at the 13th coldest on record and was way over normal snow fall. BUT Dec. and Jan. were both warmer and drier then avg.
March is typically our snowiest month, so we'll see how it shakes out. Hoping some more snow gets melted before the next go around. Had a foot of snow a month ago and it's only about have gone. Forecast for 2" to 4" Sunday into Monday here.

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 01, 2020 09:19 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
hello

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted March 01, 2020 09:25 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
We're back !!!!! [Smile]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted March 01, 2020 02:29 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Spring is here!! We have water running, we have horse pissy water running, we have mud and we have dead skunks in the road. [Eek!]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 01, 2020 05:16 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like died and gone to Heaven? Especially the horse pissy water! I always anticipated the spring thaw to expose all the well preserved dog shit in the yard!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2020 05:15 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Went into Chino valley saw no less than five dead skunks in a 45 minute drive ! As a trapper I like the smell it brings on good memories !

--------------------

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2020 06:11 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
The skunk smell is good memories until it's fresh and on your dog!

The neighbor has 5 horses that are stuck in the same pen year round. and we sit on the down hill side. The main problem is a lot of this piss/shit water runs towards the well. Which isn't too much of a problem until it hits the well casing and run down the side to the bottom. So it's a lot of digging damming and running it out into the other neighbors field. Which he said was okay. We have a ditch dug and a sink hole for it to run into (we hope). This time of year is the big problem frozen ground and melting. [Razz]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2020 09:12 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember when Chino Valley was nothing but a little commune growing corn and a couple other crops. But damn! the coyote hunting used to be amazing! Until it wasn't anymore. What the hell would Paul be doing in Chino Valley, anyway? Or, do you take that road north through the pass? Nice drive. Killed a lion right there; back when the Wool Growers paid a bounty.

Did I mention that I really like the smell of skunk? It just stirs my soul. Seems like right about now they should be moving around. Aren't they mostly spotted, around Prescott? What's going on with Dusty?

Good hunting. El Bee

[ March 02, 2020, 09:13 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted March 03, 2020 05:16 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Dusty and his bride are fine they came out for a visit a few weeks ago. Skunk essence is the shit !
Major crop for chino Valley is pot ! lots of greenhouses you can smell it diving thru !

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 03, 2020 10:20 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Boy, if that don't figure! Perfect crop for Chino Valley! They have well developed irrigation all over the place.

I visited with Dusty and his bride in Prescott, along with Betty Ann. Now, there's a beauty, Betty Ann is gorgeous, runs marathons and wins her age group! But reconciled with her husband, the dullard! What a pity! She's a TEN, by God! Well, there's always a chance she will come to her senses. I'd take her in a hot minute! Oh, I can't stand it! A Classic, and I let her get away! What an idiot!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted March 04, 2020 04:18 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
We hit 51* yesterday.
Water running everywhere.
In town water was pouring out of one area and running across the state road. Looked like a irrigation ditch had broke loose.
Can work outside until about noon then it's over.
Everything gets soft, muddy and too wet.

--------------------

NVWalt
Does not claim to be overly bright!
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted March 04, 2020 05:33 AM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh, Spring is indeed in the air. Trees are starting to bud and when you drive down ANY road here you see all the Tennessee wild flowers, as in trash, all over in their splendid white, red, green, blue, brown and clear colors growing like weeds in all the ditches and along the embankments.
It must be a right of passage to go pork out on Hardies, Carls, McDonalds etc and then toss the remains out the window while sightseeing this beautiful state.
I have to admit to the fact that I have NEVER seen so much litter and trash in my lifetime. As soon as you cross the great Mississippi River the garbage just starts to pile up along the roads. I thought the West was a dump but I was very, very wrong on that one. Compared to the East the West is spotless.
I just can't wrap my head around how people can do that to such beautiful places. Must be Democrats feeling good about how trash must feel. Your FREEEEE, fly like the wind.....

--------------------
Support Communism and help destroy the United States of America ! VOTE DEMOCRAT. "In the end, they aren't coming after me. They are coming after you!" D.Trump

Posts: 636 | From: Tellico Plains, TN | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 04, 2020 09:29 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
On a happier note: I saw my first Allen's Hummingbird this morning! If spring ain't here yet, it's knocking on the door!

About roadside trash. There was a rather famous commercial staring Iron Eyes Cody many years ago in which he was surveying ugly pollution by careless white people despoiling his pristine country. And, he had a huge tear in his eye as he looked at all the trash and industrial waste.

Personal observation: I have hunted a few Reservations in New Mexico, Nevada and Arizona. Indians are not natural environmentalists, in my opinion. Not industrial waste, and chemical pollution like I have seen in Mexico, but they LITTER EVERYWHERE! The stereotype doesn't fit.

One time, on the Papago, I was well off the beaten path and came to a wide spot in the road where this local was crushing cans with his pickup, running over them. And, that is one litter you won't see on reservations, aluminum cans. They like to buy quart bottles and I was with a buddy who spent many years in the grocery business. He told me that quart bottles are the cheapest, by far, more bang for the buck. I can't remember ever seeing anybody buying and drinking beer out of quart bottles but they are quite common on Indian Reservations and I know this because they are confirmed litterers of the cheapest Pabst Blue Ribbon, a beer I never cared for, myself. I'm told that in bars, what they will almost always have on tap is Pabst, because it's cheap. I mean, excepting those Brewhouses where they have 100 beers on tap. But local taverns might be serving a lot of Pabst Blue Ribbon. <shrug> At least, that's the way I heard it?

Good hunting. El Bee

PS The Navajo Res. is actually in pretty good shape, compared to others.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

NVWalt
Does not claim to be overly bright!
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted March 04, 2020 03:04 PM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
We have only Ruby Throated hummers here. I do miss the variety of hummers the west has and used to sit out on the front porch and watch the hummers chase each other around when I lived in Nevada.
The birding here is so-so as far as it goes and haven't really added to many more birds to the life list since I got here to Tennessee. Seems the birds are not doing well and my list of warblers is indeed lacking.`

--------------------
Support Communism and help destroy the United States of America ! VOTE DEMOCRAT. "In the end, they aren't coming after me. They are coming after you!" D.Trump

Posts: 636 | From: Tellico Plains, TN | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted March 05, 2020 05:45 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
My hummers aren't here yet I can stand by the feeders and have no less than 20 flying around my head I miss them when they leave and get excited when they return ! They do not fear me at all I'm the sugar water guy ! Out here without sounding racist as I have many Mexicans in my family they are the big trash problem that and real stupid red neck meth heads ! The Navajo is pretty clean from my experience ! unless you count stray dogs lol.

--------------------

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted March 05, 2020 06:04 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
It'll be a while before they get here 18* so far this morning.

One summer on a lookout in the Owyhees. We set up a humming bird feeder. I don't remember the count but know it was over 20 birds trying to feed one night. Got it on film it sounded like a huge airplane outside from the hum of their wings. We get Rufus, Black Throated,
and 2 other I can't think of right now. I had one come in to the new house late last summer. Grew some wild flower mix for Hummingbirds. Will get the feeders up this summer. I really enjoy watching them. One summer at the lookout had a baby and the big birds fought her off until she was exhausted. Went out took the feeder down and picked her up and let her feed did it several times.
The old place we will need to tell the new owner they need a feeder or two because I fed there for years and they come back each year.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 05, 2020 08:51 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of "come back". I have had the same pair of Mourning Doves for 3 years now. They seem very fascinated by the eves of my covered porch area. I know they are the same because they are semi tame and always go to the same spots. They make me feel a little guilty to go outside, but on the ground, they will poke around within ten feet of me. I also have to keep the water level low, in the pool because they don't like wading on the tile to get a drink. The crows seem to be residents now, 3 of them that like to drink at the spa, but there are other dozens than do not. The banned tail pigeons aren't back yet. Neither is the hawk. It's a total mystery how certain bird react to hawks, in flight. They just know this is danger. Love to see the crows gang up on hawks and yet, it's the same thing when Mockingbirds go after crows. And, Pinky misses nothing!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted March 06, 2020 06:03 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Doves have to be the dumbest birds on the planet I had a pair in Gold Canyon that kept trying to make a nest on the ceiling fan on my patio the problem was it was running! They would bring their sticks and string and regularly get knocked to the ground they would do this all day ! not real bright birds ! Saw a real big red tail yesterday! We have a surplus of crows or ravens they are huge and very vocal! first morning of no fire its 69 indoors just put on a sweatshirt! I'm liking it !!!!

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters