The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Seasonal warning (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Seasonal warning
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 06, 2020 07:41 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Crows vs Ravens. Generally speaking, you will see Ravens singly or a pair. Crows, hard to say but usually a flock, but sometimes a pair will have a left over chick staying with them, kinda like with coyotes. Ravens have a deeper croak than crows. The spread tail feathers on a crow is like a fan and Ravens' tails are more diamond shaped with the bottom squared off. Not a good explain, I know, but it's an odd shape to describe.

Now, I have never seen crows follow a coyote to a call, on stand, but it's not uncommon with ravens. Yes, they are both black but a raven is A LOT BIGGER. Kinda like the difference between a cottontail and a jackrabbit.

There is a rest area on I-15, I think it's by Halloran Summit? Anyway, we stopped there for the usual reasons and I don't want to exaggerate, it's almost impossible to count them, but there had to be over a hundred ravens walking around like they owned the place. Personally, I have never seen them flocking like that before, and they were bird dogging the folks, & getting into the trash cans, but pretty well behaved, much more civilized than a congress of crows. would be.

Like that Ranger said: See those black birds up there? They are ravens and they are Federally protected. See these dead birds on the ground? They are crows! Any questions? Also, I remember a few years ago that the Feds were very worried about Ravens killing baby tortoises, both protected species. But Rangers were given special authority to shoot ravens, a certain amount, some hundreds but less than a thousand, as I recall? Don't you try to get away with it. Besides, a raven is an impressive bird.

Good hunting. El Bee

[ March 06, 2020, 07:43 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted March 06, 2020 08:48 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
So ............. If you bred Pinky to a Raven, you would get a giant magpie on steroids ??????

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7582 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 06, 2020 10:40 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
It'd be rape, but yeah. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2020 04:18 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Mine are ravens then unless they are on the ground officer ! LOL They are large and very vocal they follow coyotes into the call all the time giving them away early !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2020 07:43 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Even cooler when they give away a bobcat coming in slowly, circling and dive bombing w/much squawking .

[Smile] I know you're out there, puddy tat [Smile]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7582 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2020 12:32 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Afternoon everyone,
A kind of a crazy day. Was suppose to have rain/snow by 11a.
Then it backed off to 1p. The peaks are getting a little fresh white stuff. Was suppose to be a high of 39* it's 51* right now.
Geese are flying and squawking like crazy.
Taking it easy today. I bent my left ring finger backwards yesterday.
Have a nice sprained finger. The middle joint is sore and a little off colored as in a lite dull reddish color. So being good and not gripping a pry bar and busting up ice today. My shoulder is thanking me also.
Have a nice weekend everyone.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2020 04:05 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Spring done sprung down this way.
Hills are greening up and huge areas of yellow flowers. Quite the sight. [Cool]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 14 posted March 07, 2020 04:32 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Mt Baldy is socked in right now. I'm sure they are getting a little snow up there. Had to happen, Cumulous have been rolling in pretty much all day, it's kinda crisp out there, I'm wearing a sweatshirt and pajama bottoms while I do a little yard work.... And, cleaning the garage, a little. But, I'm NOT overdoing it, that's for sure!

Tilliie was out front helping me when this kid rolled down the street on a skateboard. She totally freaked out, wanted to eat him alive. He was concerned enough that when he came back a little later, he got off and walked it to the end of the street. Of course, she was on a cable but he wasn't taking any chances. She gave him a first rate continuous deep throated hound dog howl, sounds like a 100 pounder, instead of 50, dripping wet. So, she's sorta taking ownership of this section of the street, about 3 houses in both direction. I don't know who died and put her in charge, but most of the time, she is just alert, and watches. But, her first skateboard called for a special response. That kid thought she was a man eater.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted March 09, 2020 08:38 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
little worried I have so many bunnies around my place the rattlers gotta be comin ! I'm like the local food bank ! They are living under my home and under Suzanne's quilting room . cute to watch but now they bring problems !

--------------------

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 09, 2020 01:06 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm wondering? What you call "Bunnies"? Do you have cottontails up there, or are you talking about very small jackrabbit babies? I wonder at what point does a 3 1/2 foot Western Diamondback decide those baby rabbits are a little too big to bother with? Hmm? 2 maybe 3 litters a year? and how many bunny rabbits does a snake of that size need annually? Maybe one per litterX3? So, actually, what you got? Prairie rattlers, Diamondbacks and/or Mojave's? Plus there was that black one with yellow belly that I saw up there at one of the campouts. I still think the rabbits will outperform the snakes. BTW, here, we also have a pygmy cottontail.

But, what kind of Purina monkey chow are you feeding the bunnies? Or are they cleaning up the left over Ol' Roy kibble that those dogs of yours eat whenever they are in the neighborhood?

Currently, Tillie has a fixation on empty nursery planters that I usually have neatly stacked behind the cactus. Every time I come home, they are scattered all over the damned yard, chewed up. She is averaging, and I throw out 6-10 a week. Pretty soon, she won't have anything to chew on except for, besides digging all the dirt out of the bigger ones, the Plumaria planters 15-25 gallon. She just doesn't seem to get it? The only progress we have made is she cowers when I yell at her, sometimes pees a little.

Oh and she's forgotten everything she ever learned at Obedience School. Right now she's not even begging to come in, she knows I'm a little perturbed about all the damned containers all over the yard. Puppies! She sure is cute though!

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: also, why do they insist on spelling "Mojave" with an "H" on your side of the river?

[ March 09, 2020, 01:09 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted March 10, 2020 07:48 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Around the house we have cottontails and mostly prairie rattler's up here and I always spell it with a j and your pup needs an ass whiipin ! lol Just kidding never strike your dog ever !

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters