The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » NO rain and Fires, welcome Texas spring!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: NO rain and Fires, welcome Texas spring!
ATexan
Knows what it's all about
Member # 6799

Icon 1 posted March 10, 2018 03:26 PM      Profile for ATexan   Email ATexan         Edit/Delete Post 
Got up this morning at 4:30. Had my backpack and gun waiting by the door. Start the my way down the road for todays adventure. Where I am headed is an hour and half south of where I live. Planned on calling coyotes in the morning and maybe find a wild hog or two laying in mud somewhere on the river during the day. Driving along not 10 mins from the bridge I use for access and looking across the river valley as far as the eye can see, is smoke. I have to say we have had .2 inch of rain in the last 130 somethings days. Its dry no scratch that, its BONE dry. So there ends my day on the river before it even starts. At sunrise for the past 3 months the coyotes have never failed to howl about 30 mins after sunrise, this morning, nothing. Walk 3 miles in and make 3 stands. nothing. Never could see the fire, could only smell smoke and see the haze.
Driving home I got to thinking about how a coyote would react in this situation. Would one hole up or head out? Its mating season, how would this affect this years established territory. When a wild fire comes through is this a reset, and everything is thrown out the window for survival?
Anyway, about to head out the door for a night hunt. My wife has been on my but to take her out and get her a hog so thats what we plan on doing this evening. Cheers Fellas and send rain my way!

Posts: 112 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2018  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted March 10, 2018 03:33 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
What part of TX?
To dang early for fires! If we hadnt started receiving storms and building up the snow pack we could have started having forest fires by May.
Good luck on the hog hunt.

[ March 10, 2018, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: earthwalker ]

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
NeilA
Member # 6789

Icon 1 posted March 10, 2018 07:42 PM      Profile for NeilA   Email NeilA         Edit/Delete Post 
So, what rifle and caliber are you using on the coyotes and hogs?

I just spent a couple of hours at the range with my CZ .17 hmr. Nice time, sunny, in the 50’s, and only four guys there all with rim fires.

Good luck tonight!

Posts: 28 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2018  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 10, 2018 10:23 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Neil, you failed to disclose that 17 caliber information in your application. I might have to give you a time out?

Good hunting. El Bee
(Just kidding)

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted March 11, 2018 04:13 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
ATexan
In my experience the coyotes are generally quiet this time of year as they are denning and don't want to give up their location. Hope the best for the fire situation and good luck with the hog hunt. Last time I was in Texas I came home with two coolers full great in the smoker!

[ March 11, 2018, 04:14 AM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
NeilA
Member # 6789

Icon 1 posted March 11, 2018 08:46 AM      Profile for NeilA   Email NeilA         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, the .17 and .22’s are especially handy when suppressed. The .22 provides a bounty of entertainment without drawing the slightest suspicion from the neighbors that we may be doing something fun. chipmunks, bushy tails, calling crows, all from the comfort of the deck.
Posts: 28 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2018  |  IP: Logged
Eddie
Member # 4324

Icon 1 posted March 11, 2018 09:46 AM      Profile for Eddie   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
My oldest son is a fireman up at Bartlesville on the east side of the Osage nation. They were fighting a fire on the tall grass prairie about this time of the year last year. He watched a coyote dive in a hole in a cut bank joust as the fire rolled over the bank. Then wind was blowing around 20 mph, they were sitting at a fire break along a road when he saw the coyote jump in the hole. After the fire had passed he watch the coyote come back out. You get to thinking coyotes are kind of like a cockroach they can survive almost anything .
Posts: 275 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted March 12, 2018 07:28 AM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
wonder if that smoke was from what they are calling the borderline fire which is located at the New Mexico, Colorado, Oklahoma borders? 23,000 acres as of yesterday.
Had a grass fire just 7 miles from my place a week ago. Guess it's a Gods blessing that we've been really dry and the buffalo grass is easy to fight fire in, beings as how it's so short. They got that fire out after it burned 4 houses and a few hundred acres, which was kind of amazing seeing as how the winds were kicking up to 30 mph gusts that day.

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted March 12, 2018 07:34 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, and come Armageddon, the coyote will eat the cockroach. You know, certain times of the year and certain places, I have noticed coyote scat consisting of munched grasshoppers, 100%. Cockroaches would be accepted with relish. Or, hot sauce.

Good hunting. El Bee

PS That's something that always amazed me. How often coyotes will eat nothing but Mesquite beans, or watermelon or grapes. Total survivors.

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted March 12, 2018 07:54 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Up here they eat juniper berries by the bushel !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
ATexan
Member # 6799

Icon 1 posted March 12, 2018 02:34 PM      Profile for ATexan   Email ATexan         Edit/Delete Post 
NeilA We were using my Weatherbee Vanguard II, chambered in .308 win. My wife has taken to that gun, she was very timid at first but now that is all she likes to use. I use that gun for Deer, Hogs, and Coyotes if i feel like being real mean, lol. Yea its overkill.
Earhtwalker I live up in the panhandle, A hour NE of Amarillo. Where I was hunting was south on the prairie dog town fork of the Red River, maybe 10 miles north of Turkey, Tx. If looking at a map its the southern part of Palo Duro Canyon.

Posts: 112 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2018  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters