The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Idaho Fires (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Idaho Fires
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2016 09:30 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Theres a movement here in Cali to go ahead and declare the entire Sierra National Forest a monument. Clinton did some of it in the 90's. Eliminated logging ,offroading etc.

So no logging....great. Thats the problem here. Shit ton of trees growing so thick and dense, coupled with a drought and the bark beetle it is a disaster waiting to happen each year. And it does. Lots of fires right now. I got ran out of archery opener last week as part of a mandatory evacuation for the Cedar Fire here. Small potatoes...some people lost there homes and family cabins.
Forest has to be thinned out. 80 to 100 trees per acre is close to normal. We have 500 to 800 per acre. Trees growing so close to each other in competition that it weakens the trees and cant repel the bark beetle (tree sap normally pushes beetle out of tree before it can do damage). Also, with that many trees it soaks up that much more water. The excess trees soak up enough water each year to fill one of our biggest reservoirs 3 times over each year,which would relieve a whole lot of drought stricken areas here.
So thanks enviros...preservation over conservation really works well.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted August 31, 2016 03:45 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Quit making so much sense, Mark!
You're gonna make all the libtards heads hurt with all that factual logic...
 -

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 31, 2016 06:18 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but the loggers are just as hard headed. They want to clear cut, instead of thinning the herd. I remember deer hunting one year in southern Utah and wondered about all the uprooted stumps in the area. A long time ago, they were rigging cables any some type of windlass and just cranking all those trees into nice manageable piles. A hundred years later, those stumps still sit there, ugly as hell but somebody made a tidy profit.

You know, the Germans are pretty anal about their forests. They get in there under the direction of the Burgermeister and groom the forests like a park. Germans get dressed up, they like gray suits, and wander around on the paths, then stop at some Guesthouse in the woods and have a couple beers and call it good.

We used to hang our cables on their trees and they would actually count all the spikes from climbing and charge the U.S. Army a "Mark" for each gouged hole, which (I guess) adds up? But, they have some nicely managed forests that can't really be called wilderness. If a tree falls over, they haul it out of there.

Where was I? Oh yeah, why don't they have big forest fires in Europe? Maybe because they practically get in there and rake the fuel out? Shit, I don't know, but they are damned proud of their forests?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31463 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted August 31, 2016 09:26 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
How convenient ?
http://www.ktvb.com/news/local/east-oregon-wild-horse-roundup-canceled-due-to-wildfire/311854370

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters