The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Filson (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Filson
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted July 19, 2015 12:16 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody here wear their garments ?

I have a small assortment of stuff. Bought in the 90's. Been getting a few catalogs in the mail lately. Holy shit !! things have gone up.

I have two Filson wool vests. Been thinking this would look cool with flannels. $120 though ? Maybe.
http://www.filson.com/products/oil-tin-c loth-vest-alaska-fit.10265.html?fromCat=true&fvalsProduct=mens/vests-liners&fmetaProduct=1011/

[ July 19, 2015, 12:22 PM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted July 19, 2015 12:20 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Bought quite a bunch of clothing and a wool blanket before the original Filson sold out to this guppy company and a lot of their clothing now comes from China.
You can't afford them for work now a days. Going back to Carhart clothing.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 19, 2015 12:26 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Filson ??? ...............China ???

Say it isn't so !!!! [Eek!]

The next thing that we know, Pendleton cloths will be made in China. [Confused]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 19, 2015 02:22 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Just dawned on me! Apparently Filson has wrote me off? No catalogs since last year. Just as well, I can't afford their shit. I mean, it's still good looking stuff, and nicely retro, but come on. Seems like I saw their heavy coats with a wool shawl collar for about $600? Then they had one in a wood presentation box for a million dollars or so.

I might change your custom title, Dave? How about, "This is our very own Awesome Dave - wears Filson to work!" ....or something?
(just kidding)

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 19, 2015 03:13 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Really interesting. Since reading this thread and writing and posting the word "Filson" I have visited several different sites and amazingly, suddenly I'm seeing FILSON ads where before there might have been "Cabelas" or Sears ads. I must be really dialed in, surveillance wise? My "file" must be under
"high value subversive"?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted July 20, 2015 06:59 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
Google watches where you've been and hits you with more ads for the same shit when you surf to other sites.

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1924 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted July 20, 2015 11:33 AM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Filson cruiser jacket and a pair of their whipcord wool pants. I've probably had both pieces for 25 plus years. The pants are getting pretty tore up and have pretty much found their way to my son's closet and I haven't wore them in years. The stuff I've had has lasted very well and is really quiet.

I guess I wasn't too surprised to see the price good wool is now... All that said, I don't know if I'd spring for new wool, if mine were to be gone tomorrow? Dry-clean only is a pain and it does shrink some from what I can tell.

In dry, cold, weather wool is great. In rainy, wet weather, I have better luck staying dry in the synthetics lined with some space-age moisture barrier.

All that said, I've only ever had one vest in my adult life and it was a Carhartt. I never wore it more than a time or two. A coat without sleeves?? [Wink] I guess I never saw the purpose. But hey Dave, if you look good in one and you like it, you only have to please yourself. [Smile]

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted July 20, 2015 12:06 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
On hot weather hikes, I like to wear 100% wool T shirts. Wool has a lot of interesting, unique properties. But one that I really appreciate, when I know I'm going to be sweating in the same shirt for a few days without changing it, is that it doesn't ever really get stinky.

They are pretty expensive, and get holes in them pretty quick as hard as I use them, but after a couple trips wearing them I'd never want to go back to cotton or nylon for long distance walks.

But I machine wash them at home. Wouldn't own them if I had to dry clean.

And of course, wool socks, in all weather.

I'm a "vest guy", too. Have a couple ultra light weight down vests, one I keep clean for wearing every day around town and another that I leave filthy for everything else. I sleep in that one, sometimes, when it gets really cold at night in the tent. Just a nice insulation layer for someone that freezes easily like me. If it's too cold for just a vest, I usually keep it on underneath my coat for the extra warmth. Have another, much heavier and warmer synthetic vest, Sitka, that I wear hunting when it's really cold too.

All of which has nothing to do with Filson, which I've never owned. But next time I spend money on cold weather hunting gear, I think I might go wool.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted July 20, 2015 03:43 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
I absolutely love merino wool for base layers. I got my first set a few years back and since that point all my synthetic long underwear has hit the road. Works well in a wide range of temps also.

I like the dry feel of the merino wool even when sweating and the stink level is way below the synthetic stuff. The synthetic stuff takes on a funky smell after awhile even if it is clean.

My wife who has a nose akin to a coyote, would always wrinkle up her nose when I would be wearing a synthetic long handle shirt and ask "When was the last time that shirt was washed?"

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted July 21, 2015 05:35 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah man, me too!
When we're in elk country for 8-9days without a shower, merino wool baselayers are a Godsend!!!

Far as washing my merino stuff, I just fill up my bathroom sink, add a dash off Woolite, and hand wash. Hang to dry, then keep them stored in a covered plastic bin.

Also have a 'hand me down' Woolrich red plaid coat that is really nice! That style of wool hunting coat has been extremely popular with big woods NE deer hunters a loooooong time...

[ July 21, 2015, 05:38 AM: Message edited by: knockemdown ]

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted July 21, 2015 05:59 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, me too - Merino long handles rule. Costco usually gets some in each fall for a killer good price, too.

The T-shirts I mentioned that I wear backpacking are Merino too, Icebreaker brand.

I wash mine in the machine, gentle cycle, with the Atsko soap you can get at Walmart. Hang to dry.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted July 21, 2015 06:08 AM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
Dave and I had a discussion about it when he was out here. I wear a ton of wool of various brands. I even have some Filson stuff. I too wear wool socks year round. Winter time is wool for me. The other great insulator is also natural. Down. Also unbeatable as far as I'm concerned. Carhart and the like isn't for me. Fine for a farmer or worker not too far from the truck and not getting wet, but I have never been as cold as you are if you get Carhart stuff wet and its really cold out. The stuff is worthless.

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 21, 2015 06:39 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't own very much wool. Must be a personal failure, but y'all got me thinking. I will be on the lookout for Costco sales.

And, I have a pair of Carhart insulated bibs that I bought specifically for northern Canada. I'm very happy with them in other applications even if they might be a bit overkill.Then I have some surplus Canadian Army white nylon camo that slip over everything.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: Our hero, all warm and comfy, with Sorrel felt packs, etc.
 -

[ July 21, 2015, 06:41 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted July 21, 2015 07:20 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Wool pants are on my list.

A big "yup" on the down, too. I've moved to down stuff for my really cold weather upper body outer layers. Got a Sitka down hoody last year and that thing is just ridiculously warm for how amazingly lightweight it is. Breathes really well too. Layer it up with the merino long handles and a vest underneath it and I can sit still and toasty on a -5* stand, then undo a zipper or two and not sweat/wet out carrying a coyote back to the truck afterward. Just take the vest off a couple hours later when it has warmed up into the 20's. Love that coat.

- DAA

--------------------

knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted July 21, 2015 07:42 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, I've got a pair of BeagleWear wool pants that I prolly ain't ever gonna fit into, again. They're true size 34 waist, and a bit snug at that. I was a 32/33 at the time, and the fit was just right.

From what I remember when we hung out, bet they'd fit ya perfect! I'll pack 'em up and send them out to ya, if you'd put 'em to good use this winter?

And +1 for Sitka! Have a Kelvin Lite puffy (no hood), and it's like a friggin' OVEN!!!

[ July 21, 2015, 07:46 AM: Message edited by: knockemdown ]

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted July 21, 2015 08:25 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Dang, Fred, too kind!

I'll take ya up on it!

31/33ish currently, but always put on an inch or two come winter, so it sounds like they should indeed fit well!

- DAA

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 21, 2015 08:31 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You guys "hung out"?

WHY WASN'T I TOLD?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 21, 2015 01:21 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
As it happens, I drove up to YV without shoes, just my driving slippers. So, I have to dress up a little bit to take girl friend to Ruth Chris in Palm Springs for her birthday.

So, while I was actually buying pipe and a misting system for the patio, I stopped in and looked at shoes. I bought a half way decent pair but the BIG NEWS is, I also walked out of there with my first Marino wool. Socks, and who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?

Mostly true.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted July 22, 2015 06:30 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, just a coincidence I thought worth mentioning. Was reading one of my magazines this morning (Overland Journal), there's a gear section, and your Filson vest had a whole page written about how wonderful these guys think it is. Looks like a sharp, quality piece of gear!

- DAA

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted July 22, 2015 12:16 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Wool is definitely the go to for me too. Merino wool long underwear when its cold. Wool socks for sure. Wool Coats in the winter. Light weight merino wool jackets for early season.But to be honest the only Filson wool I own is a pair of light weight wool gloves. Surprisingly warm being so light weight. But for 30 bucks a pair they should be.lol Oh and for a hat you gotta have the Stormy Kromer. The only wool I don't wear is when its really wet/snowy I like the goretex Sitka pants.

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted July 22, 2015 04:16 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I'm a vest guy also. Has to be pretty dang cold for a coat. Mostly hate the lack of mobility.

Wool socks also year round in different weights. Bought some med weight Smart Wool socks last winter, they're great !!

Yeah, hell with it. Might as well get the vest.

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 22, 2015 08:06 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
The guy across the street from me, ( the one that voted for Dickweed) a while back, months, not years, was roaming around and I asked him if that was a Filson vest he was wearing? It was. But, he must have planned on growing into it? It was about three sizes too large for him. Hell, I could have got in there with him, except, you know? Red plaid. Oh well, he will never crawl out of the hole, for voting the way he did. In his case it was a protest vote, the Media had convinced him that Bush had to go but how would voting for Dickweed help? The logic escapes me?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted July 22, 2015 08:17 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
For some reason that was really funny Leonard. I got a good chuckle out of it anyway!

Thanks.

knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted July 23, 2015 03:28 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, was fortunate enough to spend a day poppin' p-dogs in Wyo with Dave. Good company, good cigars & cool rifles...what more can a fella ask for?
Sorry you weren't CC'ed, but that was prior to me joining HM. Speaking of which, hope this year's Ronde is scheduled when I can make a trip out!?!?!?

Dave, pants shipped yesterday AM...

booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted July 23, 2015 06:31 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
The winters here in Kansas have been pretty mild the last couple of years, so I have been able to get by with some of my mid-weight stuff. I guess I am a pretty cheap SOB, but I have found that the old WW 2, army surplus wool pants fit the bill when the temps hover around 0. I picked up 4 pair for $15.00 each a couple of years ago. The inseams are short, but I tuck them in my boots and wear gaiters, so they are fine.

I wear Under Armor Cold Gear and wool pants, and couple it with a Cabela’s Wind Shear Wool pull over, and I am pretty toasty to around 0. If it colder than -5, I keep my butt at home!

I am in the market for a good Gore Tex coat…other than Sitka, any suggestions?

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters