The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Kids these days...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kids these days...
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted June 30, 2013 02:57 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Friday night about 10:00 PM my wife told me somebody was parked at the end of our driveway. I took a stroll kinda cautious like to see what was going on.

When I approached the drivers side window a kid about 16 saw me and said "Hi Mr. Geh----" I didn't know the kids name but knew the face. I asked them (he had a buddy) what they were doing and why they were parked at the end my driveway. They were waiting for some friends to catch up as a rodeo in town had just got over. Everything seemed on the up and up. No booze smell, pot, or anything to make me suspicious, but they were parked in my driveway which didn't thrill me. They said they would be leaving so I headed back into the house.

A few minutes later I glanced out and the kid was walking towards the house and his vehicle was still parked at the end of the drive. When I walked out to meet him his first words were, "Sorry, I ran over your mailbox"

I kinda came unglued on the kid and more than one Gawd Damn and F-bomb was dropped as to how in the hell did he manage that. Anyhow, the kid was really apologetic and I said that doesn't do my mailbox any good at this point.

I gave him a couple choices in how to fix the problem, pay up, fix it, or we could get a cop to come out. He wanted to call his dad so I said call away. His dad came out a few minutes later and reamed him for parking in a private driveway and not paying attention where he was driving. The dad told me the young man would be out the next day with the materials to fix the problem.

So yesterday, the kid showed up with treated post and concrete and we fixed the mess. He was actually a real nice kid, who holds a summer job at a tire shop, wrestles on the school team, and does little rodeoing.

I told him I appreciated his honesty as he could have drove away and I would have never known it was him that actually did it. He could have also just paid me, but his dad insisted his son fix the mailbox. He asked me several times if I was satisfied with the job and if he owed me anything else for the damage. I'd hire the kid if I ever needed help.

Good parenting sure helps with turning out good kids.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted June 30, 2013 04:42 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Stories like this make me realize there actually is some hope for our future.
Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
the bearhunter
HM PROSTAFF & MIDWEST REGIONAL GURU VOTED MOST HANDSOME MINNESOTAN
Member # 3552

Icon 1 posted June 30, 2013 05:04 PM      Profile for the bearhunter           Edit/Delete Post 
indeed!! very refreshing. bet he grows up to be a Republican [Wink]
Posts: 1049 | From: minnifornia | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
BangPop
Knows what it's all about
Member # 3876

Icon 1 posted July 01, 2013 07:17 PM      Profile for BangPop           Edit/Delete Post 
I believe I'd be calling that kids dad and giving him a compliment. They are few and far between these days.
Posts: 28 | From: Gallatin Gateway, Montana | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters