The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Interesting read on open carry..Philly (Page 16)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17 

Author Topic: Interesting read on open carry..Philly
tlbradford
Rimfires are MAGIC on COYOTES! If you do your part
Member # 1232

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2011 02:55 PM      Profile for tlbradford   Email tlbradford         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yep, I don't like it when people intentionally cause trouble with police officers, not even to fulfill their own agenda.
This is my last post and then I am done, since it is basically a rehash of my previous stuff, but I can't get my arms around this one to see it from 49's perspective.

How is conducting yourself in a legal manner, following the laws of your city and state, and not doing anything criminal, considered to be "intentionally causing trouble with police officers?"

It just doesn't compute with me and you have never offered an intelligent arguement on this question.

--------------------
"Dan Carey ain't that special" - LB

Posts: 423 | From: Spokane Valley, WA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2011 02:56 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I guess it's the aftershock of Joplin but my banker called and canceled our appointment, closing early due to storms?

They are predicting a bad night, better go get the lawn chairs out.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2011 02:57 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Dustin,

Just make sure you get to the south or west of it, preferably to the south from the looks of things today, and make sure you see it moving laterally. If it isn't moving left or right, it's coming at you and anywhere within about five miles of an existing vortex, secondary vortices can drop down and kick your ass before you know it. Also, tornadoes rotate counterclockwise so they may take a right-hand turn. So, if behind them, stay off the right hand side unless you want more fun than you opted for. I've had two instances where I got so close to rain-wrapped tornadoes that I could not see that the wind I was feeling went from blowing away from the vortex at, oh, a comfy 10-20 mph to suddenly ( and I mean in the time span of a second at most)reversing itself and pulling stuff INTO the cell at about 70 mph. That's called the inflow, or updraft and when that happens, you're in deep shit. [Wink] FYI!

I check the NOAA board every day this time of the year for probabilities of severe weather. What they have on there today is the most intense set up I've ever seen, far worse even than the day Chapman, KS was hit four years ago. My house is right under the right hand circle in the % on the "10%". Dustin would be just to the right and north of me.

-

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
JD
HONORARY OKIE .... and Tim's at fault!
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2011 03:31 PM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
LOL...Ken, I aint no badass nor would I give out an asswhoopin, shoot you...yes........asswhoopin...naw, I'm too old for that. [Smile] I called TA a few names a while back and it upset a few people.....obviously 49 was deeply moved by my need for a therapist. I would more than likely tell a dirty joke and offer you a beer before I would pick a fight.

Lance, I've experience an updraft once, damn near took the back door off my house(was standing there with the door open) and all the lawn furniture lifted up and over the railing of the deck.....scared the shit outta me, thought for sure I had pushed my luck a little too far that day. We were watching a large cell and little did we know nor could we see the tails dropping directly above us and sweeping lower as they headed for town.

You guys keep an eye on the skies.

--------------------
Jason
--------------------------------------

What do Obama & TA17Rem have in common........both are clueless asshats!!!

Posts: 1456 | From: NE. | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2011 05:15 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
JD, I don't know what to think about you Missouri ruffians... [Big Grin]

We've had a few twisters on the ground today and have one storm 30 miles away headed for us. I'm headed out to the deck so I can get a real good look.

Along the original theme, my SIL came by today and when he left the shop he got pulled over for no seat belt. The cop was coming off the midnight crew and tuned up. He asked 50 questions, wanted to do a search and seizure sounds like but couldn't find anything.

SIL went down and paid the fine ($20) and wondered if he still had to show up in court. My daughter called another cop, one we know and asked him how it worked cause they are supposed to be in Jamaica on his court date.

He thought for a minute and said yes he had to be there but not to worry he'd take the tickets so they wouldn't go to waste...

Moral of the story, you can't paint em all with the same brush.

Ken
will be missed
Member # 3065

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2011 05:29 PM      Profile for Ken   Email Ken         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow I am watching the news. You folks in the mid-west battin down the hatches.

Just called my buddy at work and told him about Oklahmoma City and surrounding areas. Most of his kin live around there.

He was off the phone quick to make some calls.

YOU all be safe. Kelly Jackson you still with us?

LOL JD. Good to know. I can dodge a bullet.

--------------------
I am 5'10",an asshole 220% for sure. Former dirty deed doer for PM. Corrupt too! My name is Festus.

Posts: 281 | From: High Desert | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Patterson
19.6 miles down the Yellow Brick Road from THE EMERALD CITY
Member # 3304

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2011 05:57 PM      Profile for Patterson   Email Patterson         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the heads up Lance!! Hoping to see one soon.

Here's a little peak into my mind.....I've often wondered/wanted to drive/watch a truck go 90-100 mph into a smaller tornado that is coming at me just to see if you'd come out the otherside still on all 4. I think it would make neat video. A helmet with a visor and a 5 point harness may be needed though....I mean there has to be a point where your going fast enough with enough momentum to only have the winds momentarily push you side to side for a second or two. And they are opposing wind forces. Would be neat.

But im just a countryboy turd that likes adrenaline [Wink]

Posts: 236 | From: Kansas | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
CrossJ
SECOND PLACE: PAUL RYAN Look-a-like contest
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2011 06:10 PM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, another line coming in tonight. Been on the porch watching the show. Heard it was bad by OKC.

Biggest problem here has been the flooding yesterday. Couldn't get in or out of town till around 11 a.m.

Patterson, I'd bet on the twister.

Finding out more and more people from here were in Joplin sunday. Some are safe, some haven't been heard from. A couple I know lost their son in the pizza hut.

Maintain

--------------------
A friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move a body.

Posts: 1025 | From: on a water tower | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2011 06:12 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
It's mostly East of us now (Ada), we got some sideways rain but that was it. Ya'll really need to see some of the video though, lots better than the OJ Simpson chase. Those helos with HD cameras are cool!

One was a semi pulled over on I40 that a small twister hit. Pushed it backwards and destroyed the trailer all on HD television. Driver was alright but they said it looked like a mail truck, it's air mail now.

Another one was what looked like a home with a basement, inside the basement was a safe room and it is all that is left.

Quite a few bare slabs and piles of debris that once were peoples homes. Sadly a 3 YO boy is missing and 4 people have died.

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2011 06:28 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Patterson;
Be careful what you wish for...............

There's a reason that EF-5's are called 'The Finger of God'

Stay safe.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2011 06:37 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
That's the point I was going to make, Koko. You cannot judge the power of a tornado by the size of the vortex. With twisters, size doesn't always matter. The Perry, TX tornado was a rope for its entire life span and it was so powerful that it peeled the asphalt off the ground. The only way to gauge a tornado's true rating and strength is in the post-game wrap up by assessing the damage. Beyond that, you assume that they'll kill you and go from there.

Sorry to hear about that, Geordie. My wife banks with Great Plains Credit Union and hasn't been able to make a withdrawal from the ATM since Sunday because they're based out of Joplin. Hoping their file servers, especially those off-site, were waaaayyyyy off site.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2011 06:45 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
sak81 youre pretty close..

Here is some info on the twisters from Wikipedia.
quote:
The 1998 Comfrey – St. Peter tornado outbreak was an unseasonably-strong tornado outbreak which affected the Upper Midwest region of the United States on March 29, 1998. A strong area of low pressure combined with a warm front and favorable upper-level dynamics to produce 16 tornadoes across the region—14 in Minnesota and two in Wisconsin. Thirteen of the tornadoes in Minnesota were spawned by a single supercell thunderstorm. This supercell remained intact for approximately 150 miles (240 km) as it moved across the southern part of the state during the late-afternoon hours.

Over $235 million in damage (1998 USD) was recorded from the tornadoes, two people were killed, and 21 others were injured. Most of the damage was caused by three tornadoes—one rated F4 on the Fujita scale that hit the town of Comfrey, Minnesota, an F3 that hit St. Peter, Minnesota, and an F2 that hit Le Center, Minnesota. Gustavus Adolphus College in St. Peter was especially hard-hit, with several buildings damaged or destroyed, 2,000 trees lost, and nearly 80% of the windows on the campus shattered. In Comfrey, 75% of the structures in the town were damaged or destroyed, including the local K–12 school. Seven counties in southern Minnesota were later declared federal disaster areas.

The outbreak broke many early-season tornado records for the state of Minnesota. The 14 total tornadoes in the state were the most to ever touch down on a single day in March. The F4 tornado was the strongest ever recorded in the state in March, and its 67-mile (108 km) path the longest tornado path ever recorded in Minnesota. In December 1998, the United States Department of Commerce awarded a bronze medal to the Twin Cities office of the National Weather Service (NWS) for providing excellent service to the public during the outbreak event.

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2011 06:54 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
I just want to reassure all my fans that I never said I was leaving completely. I said I would be posting less. Please read my post. Like I said I don't make a habit of breaking bread with people who question my integrity, nor will I break bread with people who choose to believe those who question my integrity. As an aside, a few months ago at a football meeting a coach called me a liar in front of everyone. As you might imagine, this did not go over well with me. I got up out of my chair, but he stayed seated in his. I haven't talked to him since, except for some football related business we had to discuss. He keeps telling my friends he wants things to go back to normal, and wants to be able to have a conversation with me. Well, Jesus Christ tells us we are supposed to forgive. But I gotta be honest, I am still working on that one.

quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yep, I don't like it when people intentionally cause trouble with police officers, not even to fulfill their own agenda.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is my last post and then I am done, since it is basically a rehash of my previous stuff, but I can't get my arms around this one to see it from 49's perspective.

How is conducting yourself in a legal manner, following the laws of your city and state, and not doing anything criminal, considered to be "intentionally causing trouble with police officers?"

It just doesn't compute with me and you have never offered an intelligent arguement on this question.

Tlb, I will try to explain my feelings on this. Lets start with open carry in Philadelphia. I think we can all agree it is not a common occurence there. Our hero wants to make a statement on open carry in Philadephia. That's fair enough in some respects, and as Tom pointed out is similar to Rosa Parks on the bus (I looked that one up). Now, to my way of thinking, our hero must also understand that by making his statement, he is going to put himself in precarious position with the police, just as Rosa Parks did (she was arrested for her action in not giving up her seat). Now the police, who aren't accustomed to seeing open carry in the City of Brotherly Love, tend to get a bit excited. This to me is human nature, but to others here they say it is heresy. Not to argue that point, but I think we can all pretty much be in agreement up until now.

Now for the nitty gritty. The police, whether through overreaction, lack of experience, knowledge, leadership, or whatever, deal with the open carry guy in a harsh manner. I think we are still in agreement. Someone (a cop) then makes the decision to tell the OC subject to go to his knees, which is a common practice for handcuffing suspects. The subject then REFUSES to comply, thus creating an even bigger scene. My whole point with all this "drivel," as JD would say, is that the guy knowingly did something he KNEW would cause a ruckus with the police, and when he did so, he FAILED to listen to commands. The cops were trying to make the scene safe in their minds. Yeah I know, they didn't have a right to do it and all the other arguments I have already heard. But the guy knew he was going to arouse the suspicions of the cops. He should have just listened to them and sorted it all out later when the scene was calm. Right or wrong, this is how I see it.

Now for one last admission on my part, and I have thought long and hard about this one. Having been in situations where there was chaos present, and myself having had to deal with subjects who would not listen to my commands under these circumstances, it really irked me when I heard the guy refusing the cops' commands on the audio. So...I admit that due to previous experiences I am a little biased on this aspect. Now you know why I think the guy was a turd. This is the main reason, in my mind intentionally causing trouble, along with his other exploits which don't exactly help his image.

So there you have it. My own personal bias in dealing with uncooperative subjects. I still think this makes the guy a turd by the way.

Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Patterson
19.6 miles down the Yellow Brick Road from THE EMERALD CITY
Member # 3304

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2011 06:54 PM      Profile for Patterson   Email Patterson         Edit/Delete Post 
Geordie, sorry to hear about that. My parents just moved out of that area of MO to AZ back in November.

My tornado theory is just a day dream. I can't afford the fuel to go 100mph.

Our reservoirs are all tied up with the new water. I suspect the water levels will be jumping big time. At least some better catfishing will be had in the creeks.

Posts: 236 | From: Kansas | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2011 06:58 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Let's see if you still wanna play chicken
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43159213/ns/weather/?GT1=43001

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2011 07:03 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd show you a pic of my Moms car but we have'nt found it yet...LOL

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2011 07:08 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, I'm gonna frame this one

"Now for one last admission on my part, and I have thought long and hard about this one. Having been in situations where there was chaos present, and myself having had to deal with subjects who would not listen to my commands under these circumstances, it really irked me when I heard the guy refusing the cops' commands on the audio. So...I admit that due to previous experiences I am a little biased on this aspect. Now you know why I think the guy was a turd. This is the main reason, in my mind intentionally causing trouble, along with his other exploits which don't exactly help his image."

You just admitted you're human like the rest of us. [Big Grin]

Nothing infuriates someone "in charge" more than someone defying them, be it cop, teacher, parent or boss. It's human nature 49.

4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2011 07:15 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't disagree Tom. It pisses me off big time.
Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2011 07:24 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
If you can imagine, I used to love the old cartoon picture of the mouse flipping the hawk off as it swoops in... kinda reminds me of someone.
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2011 07:33 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
here's the truck
http://www.wxii12.com/r/28009388/detail.html

JD
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2011 07:36 PM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
Well 49, I'm glad your not leaving, ya goofy bastard. [Smile]

It's been raining like hell for about 2 hours now, river was flooding before it started, oh well, I live on a hill.

Koko....you aint lying bro....."finger of God" is right!

Patterson....don't do it!!

--------------------
Jason

tlbradford
Rimfires are MAGIC on COYOTES! If you do your part
Member # 1232

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2011 08:45 PM      Profile for tlbradford   Email tlbradford         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks 49 for clearing that up. To me this is a cop problem, not the turd's problem. They escalated the situation. I do agree that he should have obeyed the commands, because it is not worth getting shot by a scared cop. As soon as the situation was sorted out would be a more appropriate time to prove his point, and take a pound of flesh from the officers.

However, at no point should anyone, especially the police, in any part of the country, expect him to carry concealed just because it would make them more comfortable.

--------------------
"Dan Carey ain't that special" - LB

Posts: 423 | From: Spokane Valley, WA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2011 07:08 AM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
Had one touch down a few miles north of me yesterday afternoon just after I got off work. Had golf ball size hail at the house. Hit Chicken City pretty hard about 30 miles north.

At 7:00 PM I was at a softball game of the north side of Duncan and it had not even rained there.

I don't like the twisters. I stay in Okie land for the chiggers.

Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
32below
Member # 2075

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2011 07:14 AM      Profile for 32below   Email 32below         Edit/Delete Post 
Well Kelley you can have them damned things. Every time I go back to visit during chigger season I cover myself with bugspray. They always seem to target the manhood and scratching where it itches in an office filled with women is not a good thing. Now to keep the skeeters off. Wonder if any of the pharmaceitical companies make an ear tag that works on skeeters, I would wear one.
Posts: 100 | From: SW Kansas | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
JD
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2011 08:54 AM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
Chiggers!!...No thanks, I'll dodge tornadoes and hailstones but you can keep those miserable little suckers.

Patterson....take a look at this.....notice what happens to the 18 wheeler when it gets close. You don't stand a chance in a small truck... [Smile]

Patterson playing chicken with a tornado

--------------------
Jason

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters