The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » 104 pound coyote????

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 104 pound coyote????
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted March 01, 2011 08:27 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Fur-Fish-Game, March '11 issue, page 5.

Seems a 104 pound coyote was shot in Missouri during the last deer season. DNA testing says it's a male coyote about 3 years old.

I try to keep an open mind about this kind of stuff, but damn..............even if it was living in a sheep pasture between a cattle ranch dead pile & a sour mash dump, that's a lotta coyote. [Eek!]

Is it possible that we're seeing the emergence of a new species filling the void left by the departure of the wolves or is somebody yanking our chains??? [Confused]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
the bearhunter
HM PROSTAFF & MIDWEST REGIONAL GURU VOTED MOST HANDSOME MINNESOTAN
Member # 3552

Icon 1 posted March 01, 2011 08:42 AM      Profile for the bearhunter           Edit/Delete Post 
i'll be the first to throw out the bullshit flag.
Posts: 1049 | From: minnifornia | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted March 01, 2011 10:35 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I've shot a couple 50 lbs Nevada coyotes,and they were were damn big dogs, can't image a coyote twice that size.I have to call B.S too.

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
JoeF
resides "back east"
Member # 228

Icon 1 posted March 01, 2011 11:01 AM      Profile for JoeF   Email JoeF         Edit/Delete Post 
I've shot 2 or 3 Missouri coyotes in my life - every damned one of them far closer to 1/3 of that weight.

This should be viewed as nothing more than an absolute freak of nature.

Kind of like the guy that weighed 700lbs. and was buried in the grand piano case.

Posts: 646 | From: Midwest | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 01, 2011 11:40 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a hard time believing in a 104 pound coyote story. In fact, I have a hard time believing 50 pound Nevada coyote stories, but in deference to our esteemed member, I shan't call bs.

As I have stated numerous times, in my capacity as hunt chairman, I always carried a decent scale, not digital and have weighed hundreds of bobcats and coyotes. I have never weighed a coyote over 40 pounds, or a bobcat over 36 pounds. Okay, okay, they exist, (they tell me) but I have not seen one, in person.

Now, if there was ever a coyote with a thyroid problem living behind a very good restaurant and fed daily by the staff, not chasing rabbits and getting exercise, and dying of a coronary so there was no blood loss, with muddy feet and a wet coat, on a rainy day, I still would have a very difficult time believing that I was looking at a pure bred coyote.

I have heard of 25 pound house cats, whereas the average is about 12 pounds. So, if you figure an average every day coyote weighs about 31 pounds and double that number....let's see? That comes to almost 62 pounds, which I have never witnessed, and I have seen my share of dead coyotes.

But, 104 pound coyotes? Sounds ridiculous?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted March 01, 2011 12:17 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok...........I Googled 'missouri 104 pound coyote' and got quite a few hits. Nothing in the (poor) photos to show scale, but it looks wolf-ish to my eye.

I can understand the Mo. Game & Fish being in denial about wolves. A confirmed kill would prove that they exist with-in the state, requiring that they be managed. Huge can of worms. There are areas in the state of Wash. that coyotes are protected in because a wolf MIGHT be mistakenly shot.

Nope............No wolves in Missouri. No sir. Nope.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted March 01, 2011 12:42 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard that's why I have a hard time believing the 104 lbs coyote story.

One of the beasts I speak of was shot near Chimney Reservoir in the sage brush above a Ranch. We called in 5 on that particular stand and ended up shooting 2 coyotes.Both males the one looked like a typical sized adult Northern Nevada coyote, the other looked like a wolf next to it.lol Had a huge gut too....

The other was shot near Austin Nevada another huge male...

Good Hunting Chad

[ March 01, 2011, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted March 01, 2011 02:03 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
If that canine weighed 104 pounds, it wasn't a coyote.

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
tlbradford
Rimfires are MAGIC on COYOTES! If you do your part
Member # 1232

Icon 1 posted March 01, 2011 02:29 PM      Profile for tlbradford   Email tlbradford         Edit/Delete Post 
My heaviest in Eastern WA was a 46 lb male. I always carry a fish scale with me so I don't convince myself something is bigger than it really is. When I saw photos of that so-called coyote, it sure looked like it had a lot of dog in it. Husky or Malamute, maybe. I only saw a head shot though.

--------------------
"Dan Carey ain't that special" - LB

Posts: 423 | From: Spokane Valley, WA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 01, 2011 02:36 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
And, what were you doing up around Chimney *** .? That's MY secret spot!

And, Austin. I was almost killed one morning just south of Austin, hit some black ice and did a couple 360s, neither hitting the cliff, nor going over the side. Right around an "S" curve like we meant to do it that way. Thankfully, no on coming traffic, that particular morning.

Keep out of both of those places! You stay on your side of Elko, and I'll stay on mine.

Good hunting. LB

[ March 01, 2011, 02:37 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bofire
READ MY LIPS!
Member # 221

Icon 1 posted March 01, 2011 04:26 PM      Profile for Bofire   Author's Homepage   Email Bofire         Edit/Delete Post 
I do not know of any area in Washington closed to Coyotes to protect wolves. I live here.
I have seen a 47 lb male weighed and I saw a 57 lb male weighed. The 57 was a town coyote living on cats and dog food.
Carl

Posts: 322 | From: Wild West | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted March 01, 2011 07:04 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Bofire;
It was up near the border, as I remember. I don't recall the exact location, but the phrase '.......... closed with-in the external boundries' stuck in my mind for some reason.

--------------------

Cayotaytalker
DOES NOT TEACH/SUSPECTED OKIE
Member # 1954

Icon 1 posted March 03, 2011 11:08 AM      Profile for Cayotaytalker   Email Cayotaytalker         Edit/Delete Post 
If I were to wake up with a 104 pound coyote I would be a happy man.But for the most part I tend to wake up with the 170 to 300 pound coyotes. so it's not so hard to belive. And as for beded coyotes go well hell I just elbow them in the side and tell them drinks are on the house.And then I run out the back door.Opp's never never mind guys I thought I was on a nother fourm.

--------------------
Now thats prime coyote country!

Posts: 403 | From: LasVegas Nevada | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
George Ackley
Knows what it's all about
Member # 898

Icon 1 posted March 03, 2011 11:18 AM      Profile for George Ackley   Email George Ackley         Edit/Delete Post 
104lb is nothing back here in the east

DNA test said there was no wolf in it [Wink]  -

Posts: 465 | From: PHILA . PA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Cayotaytalker
DOES NOT TEACH/SUSPECTED OKIE
Member # 1954

Icon 1 posted March 03, 2011 11:50 AM      Profile for Cayotaytalker   Email Cayotaytalker         Edit/Delete Post 
GA,I love you man but I just have to call bullshit on your ass man! I mean shit that one you killed must have been the runt liter mate to the one I took. what (that) weighed at least 1,100 pounds.well I don't know GA but you kinda have that look I tend to have when I show up at the local taco stand trying to order peas&carrots.
GA,Im just out for a little fun is all,just so you know.
Edit To add by the way I had one of those DNA test it came out that I was half wolf and half full of horseshit. But what the hell thats cool at least I did'nt have to get married!

[ March 03, 2011, 12:05 PM: Message edited by: Cayotaytalker ]

--------------------
Now thats prime coyote country!

Posts: 403 | From: LasVegas Nevada | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters