The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » Hodgdon's website

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hodgdon's website
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 2 posted April 21, 2022 11:43 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I find their site generally useful, lots of data, various loads. Some things are awkward but after going in circles a couple times, you can figure it out, mostly when you switch cartridges, but also you can scroll through a bunch of photos to see what's available.

Most of the stuff I would use in rifle is in the $40 range, but since I have all that shit, I am just looking at pistol and there, the prices seem to range from $33 to $41, but I ordered one pound of TCM and it was $27.40 a pound. Plus I got a pound each of Titegroup and Accurate #5, and shipping was $41.

So anyway, some powder is available direct from the manufacturer. They suggest it's like a good will gesture to their handloading loyal customers. But damn! I don't know what to think? Is handloading being priced out of consideration, or what? Except for the fact that some cartridges are not available at any price, so in that case, handloading is a means to an end. When nothing else is possible.

I have bought some dies lately, (carbide) andI think I paid about $80 bucks for a 4 die set from Lyman 40S&W, and $40 for Lee 9mm dies. Then if you have to pay a hundred bucks for primers. and buying brass, if you can find it, and I've been looking for 44Mag brass for more than a month without any luck so I loaded some range brass-fuck it!

But, okay, then you are looking for bullets which can cost $35 for 230 gr. 45's
And then powder: $33-$35 per pound.

dies $40-$80 one time purchase
brass $40 per hundred
primers $100 per thousand
bullets $33-$35 per hundred
powder average $35 per pound
(you can load a lot of 45 if the charge is between 6-8 grains from a 7,000 grain bottle)

And compare that to how much a fifty round box of factory cartridges costs-when you can find it. You tell me?

And then, people always assume your labor is nothing, but it can be a couple hours to turn out a hundred rounds. And, that's not even keeping track of all your various case prep.

All I'm saying is that when they act like reloading is saving oodles of cash, that's not true, these days. There must be SOME savings but it's too much damned trouble to itemize it. With rifle, I can always say, with conviction, that at least my stuff is better than factory and it's tuned to my rifle. Handgun loading, fuck if I know? Vic must be seeing some savings after the investment in the progressive loaders, each one dedicated to a single cartridge. I guess, on an 8 station, theoretically, that's two cartridges after all the tedious setup. But, I don't know and never will because I don't shoot enough to justify all that machinery.

So there you go, figure it out if you can? Does it pay, and if it does and you pay yourself ten bucks an hour, then what? Are you ahead? You tell me? And don't forget all those hand little tools and measuring devices. I've got some Sinclair stuff that is pretty damned pricy, ya know?

Good luck if I have convinced you to give it a try. But you should just to justify the knowledge and data that you would never know, if all you ever do is buy factory fodder, 2 boxes at a time.

Good hunting. El Bee

PS ko ko, interesting piece in one of the gun mags about fighting off a bull moose with a 380ACP. It seemed to be practically worthless until somebody showed up with a rifle.

edit: There I go itemizing all the associated costs to handload your recycled brass and I forgot to include that PHONY HAZARDOUS fee which was $41 fucking dollars! And that's for powder not even primers which could explode if you hit them with a 10 pound sledge/on an anvil!

These HAZ MAT fees are completely, totally unjustified! I guess it's some branch of government that figured out the angle, because not that long ago, powder and primers were shipped without that phony excessive fee and now they get away with it! Who gains? Where does that money go? Hodgdon's says they only ship (I think I read?) 5 pounds a month, and 40 pounds or some shit like that? But who is raking in all that crooked dough? It's phony and unjustified and the bastards cannot point to a single accidental "explosion" of either powder or primers! It's really scandalous! And, something should be done about it! What it is is fucking gun control, and they are getting away with it! Write your friggin' congressman! Ask him to site documentation, why do they charge my $41 to ship 3 pounds of powder? If you get an answer other that, "just because", let me know!

[ April 21, 2022, 12:39 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31466 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 21, 2022 12:19 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Fortunately, ............ I don't carry a .380 for defense against moose.
I have a simple plan in the event that I ever do have to use it against a human threat.
(1) Make it go bang aiming at center of mass until it goes click.
(2) Run away while reloading.
(3) Repeat step one if necessary.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7584 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 21, 2022 12:47 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I know! I also know an old fart that killed a robber in his gun store with a 32ACP which is a lot punier than your 380, but it's what I carry. That old guy told me, "aim for the head" and he did, and scored two hits in the head and one in the neck as he went down.

Who was it? G Gordon Litty that suggested that exact same advice on a radio show one time and he WAS CRUCIFIED FOR IT! But, it's the damned truth! Consider heavy coats and hollow point bullets and there's a good chance those marginal calibers will not penetrate to the vitals.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 21, 2022 04:25 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, there's merit to the concept of FMJ in the winter and hollow points in the summer.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7584 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted April 23, 2022 06:49 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you ever mix and match? I like to have a Glazer as first out the spout followed by the rest of the magazine FMJ. Just something to do, ya know? In 25acp, a Glazer will mess up your day. In 45acp, they are loaded very hot, I found out by accident! Anyway, it's one option, but as mentioned, with thick winter coats, it will piss somebody off, for sure!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 23, 2022 09:31 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I keep it real simple.
Loaded with Personal Defense rounds for everyday carry.
On my belt I have an extra clip of FMJ in an old knife sheath.
Since I live on the edge of the desert, it's no big deal to be driving somewhere, pull off onto a two-track, take a wiz, swap out for the FMJ and unload on a cow patty in a sand wash. Reload the hot stuff & on my way.
Did I mention that I really like it here ???

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 23, 2022 11:48 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
No, not that I recall? I thought you moved for health reasons? But whizzing on cowpaddies is definitely one of those perks that people pay money to enjoy. Just to think of free range cattle pooping all over your hither and yon gives me the goose bumps! And wild flowers! In springtime! Waxing poetic as only ko ko can do, I’m admirably impressed! Safford’s man about town on those two tracks! Yet they honk and wave and ask for pocket change! ko ko for greeter, restore the Greeter! We want ko ko, we want ko ko! Rich is the man, if he can’t do it, nobody can! Rah, Rah, Ziz boom ya, GO wolverines!

Good hunting. El Bee 🐝

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 23, 2022 01:33 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
The art form is shooting a cow patty and then estimating it's age by it making a cloud of dust or a messy splat.
There's a bunch of things city folk need to learn to live in the country.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 24, 2022 09:41 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
....like not to piss upwind? How long did that take to sink in? Surely, by now? [Razz]

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 24, 2022 11:15 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I have that wind direction thing pretty well figured out.
It's pissing on that single shiny strand of wire that's a short learning curve. [Razz]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 24, 2022 04:21 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, i imagine you thought of a better way to test if it was energized, like sticking your tongue on a cold pipe. I think I was about 5 or 6 when I learned that one. Just kidding, I knew better than that, I grew up in Minnesota. Maybe that's why I've never been back? I guess if I ever went back, it would be because of the fishing....in spite of the mosquitoes! We got some real bad mosquitoes up in the Eastern Sierras, until the wind comes up, but Minnesota mosquitoes are all fricken summer. I don't know why I keep ragging on Minneesota, I thought my world had ended when we left, me kicking and screaming! I even thought about walking back for about ten minutes.

Today is damned near like the first day of summer, here. My cacti are blooming like CRAZY, lizards are out and Tillie keeps them nervous. Kind of a shame, she definitely has the hunting instincts, but that's all she has for entertainment and she tears up the yard trying to dig them out.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

the bearhunter
HM PROSTAFF & MIDWEST REGIONAL GURU VOTED MOST HANDSOME MINNESOTAN
Member # 3552

Icon 1 posted April 24, 2022 05:27 PM      Profile for the bearhunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Gotta admit. I'm slowing down.

Just don't have the "fire" I've always have.
(Not so with bowhunting though).
I doubt I'll ever buy another gun. Got all I need and a few I really don't.
Got dies,powder,primers n bullets.
Would be mind blowing $ wise getting into reloading nowadays from square one.

Glad you hung in another year Leonard.

Posts: 1049 | From: minnifornia | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted April 25, 2022 07:20 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
Right now I would not recommend anyone go into reloading. I keep at it because I already have the equipment. A progressive really makes it more enjoyable for loading pistol ammo. For most styles of pistol shooting, the accuracy typically needed does not need to come close to what we need with rifles.

Looking for supplies this morning. I found out Butch's reloading has permanently closed. Butch probably didn't raise his prices quick enoght to make up for the huge drop in sales. I call it death by supply chain issues.

I like to carry a magazine with alternating hollow point and FMJs. I usually don't carry extra mags.

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1926 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted April 25, 2022 07:20 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Thinking about it, I blew past the stage of not needing another gun25 years ago. Has not stopped me from rationalizing or whatever you call it?

One thing, (I have many, many things that frost my ass, but as far as guns and usually handguns is that we have a very through and lengthly process of evaluation and testing all new handguns and assessing exactly how safe they are for the citizens of this noble state. {all sarcasm in that statement}

But it does effectively limit the types and models of handguns we are protected from acquiring; for our own safety, of course.

I'm not even sure how it works, but if you are familiar with the term, "micro-stamping"? This is a bullshit plan for marking a firing pin so that when police recover empty cases lying around after a murder, they can put the indented primer under a microscope and read the serial number and that will solve the crime, which is rather brilliant, when you think about it that it takes a Liberal Legislature to come up with these crime fighting technologies. <continuing with the excessive sarcasm>

Never mind that, to date, no handgun has been introduced with micro-stamping and what it means is that we haven't had any new handguns imported into The People's Republik in years, maybe ten years or so, still waiting on the slick technology to take effect and solve our murders, which continue to be committed with "obsolete" handguns.

I'm just thankful that they haven't got around to confiscating our obsolete weapons lacking that slick technology that doesn't exist! Another example of Liberalism being a severe form of mental illness. {remember, we are, (Royal "We") are still dripping in sarcasm}

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters