The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » Need these like a hole in the head, too?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need these like a hole in the head, too?
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2016 06:55 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff Johnson, isn't he the brother of Les Johnson?

The lil woman, out of the goodness of her heart, bought me a subscription to Field & Stream and in it is an article written by Jeff... if you want to call it an article, aimed at "bored deer hunters". It's basically a two page illustration with 5 quick clichés geared towards hunting coyotes in the woods, he sums things up with a short list of very expensive "must haves" including;

One of his brother's line of handcalls, a plastic injection molded "Ruffdawg Jr." which retails for THIRTY freaking dollars!?!?! :eek

Then there's the "ultimate coyote rifle" (*cough) a Rock River Arms LAR-15 in .223 (*cough cough) sporting a 16" barrel and a scope, list priced at $1,750 (not including the scope).

But the last item kills me... it's a molded plastic piece of bark that I'm supposed to use as a "blind" of some sort, that Mr Johnson is able to suggest I buy with what appears to be a straight face... for 2 god damn HUNDRED dollars?
I shit you not, a $200 piece of plastic bark!

-

Either Mr Johnson knows something phenomenal about upcoming fur prices, he's got stock in the above companies and depends on it to feed his family, or he's completely lost touch with reality. [Roll Eyes]

Where will this end, hunting sport journalism, as we know it, is in deep shit.

Krusty

Edit for punctuation

[ March 14, 2016, 07:14 PM: Message edited by: Krustyklimber ]

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted March 15, 2016 04:02 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
[Roll Eyes]

Krusty;
I believe the phrase you're looking for is `advertisement journalism`. It's gone WAY beyond product placement and is getting worse every year.

Now; Why would one need a rifle in the woods and a goofy blind if one is shooting coyotes at rifle distances ?????

I have sooooo much to learn.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7583 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 15, 2016 07:43 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
For some reason, at least twenty-five years ago, I bought a portable blind? It's all packaged and ready to go, sitting at the bottom of one of my hunt boxes, never unwrapped, never used.

I have always been good at spending money stupidly.

By the way, is that you, in pic, koko? Nice boots!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted March 15, 2016 09:49 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely a handsome rascal with a fine beard & pair of boots, but 'tis not I.

I really have to wonder about that blind.
It doesn't seem to be tall enough to stand behind and too tall to kneel or sit behind.
And then there's that little thing that most of the people here have learned; you sit in front of something solid.......not behind it.

I swear.......it looks like something that should come with a wooden sword for the kids to play Spartans v Persians with.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7583 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters