The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » what's your point? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: what's your point?
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2015 08:22 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure those of you that have "come out" and stated that you never weighed a case in your life, have your more important things to do.

But, what bothers me this morning is the failure to clean your primer pockets! Come on! I have seen such crusty residue in those primer pockets and it's hard to believe that someone would force seating a primer on top of all that crud.

Is it always necessary? Not really, unless you are as anal as I am. Sometimes, the spent primers pop out nicely and you should have no problem seating a primer, like if you are in a hurry?

But, other times, I have to wonder where all that crud will wind up, maybe jammed into the flash hole, or making it difficult to seat the primer flush.

Of course, I always "uniform" the primer pockets and seat my primers below flush. I don't understand why somebody would be so cavalier about their primers that forcing them could potentially crush the anvil?

Anyway, what is to be gained by saving a few minutes and loading dirty ammunition? It reminds me of a guy I used to know, actually the husband of one of Nancy's girlfriends. Anyway, he once bragged to me that he could mow his lawn in ten minutes! I thought to myself; Then what?

He lived not far away, similar size property and I could reasonably expect to do my grass (in the front yard) in less than than thirty minutes. I suppose that gave him more time to watch TV, or something, maybe banging his chubby wife?

Anyway, I can overlook somebody refusing to see a real issue with inconsistent brass, and deciding that it's just not worth it when the man's AR is flinging his cases all over the place. But there is an actual gain in separating cases based on uniformity, internal capacity or however you choose to cull them.

But, seating primers without cleaning also means that you are doing nothing in case prep, no cleaning before loading your Dillon and cranking out a few hundred rounds. This is fine with 9mm etc., and I can't get excited about stainless cleaning my brass to a jewel like finish, inside and out, but reasonably clean is desirable, I think?

So, please share with us the satisfaction in saving 15 minutes in your reloading process. I'd like to know how you not only get the glow of satisfaction, but can't resist bragging about it to the rest of us.

End of rant. (we still love you)

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2015 10:44 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
I think we've been singled out Vic !!
Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted April 06, 2015 12:38 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
At least I didn't name names.

I can't help it, this is one of those things like picking your nose in the privacy of your own home. It's nothing to be proud of.

And, cleaning primer pockets is the easiest chore in the whole process, and the time saved is negligible. Nobody is that busy. It's childishly easy to do, no excuses.

From now on, man up, clean your friggin' primer pockets and make an old man happy. [Smile]

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2015 01:47 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
Damn, did someone push a button? lol

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2015 02:22 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
This is going to be good. I never thought I'd see the day Loenard called Victor out.

My prediction...Vic's response will be something along the lines of the next time I see one of those what ifs will be the first time.

Getting popcorn now.

Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2015 03:06 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, he won't be upset, he's a sweetheart, and he's sure to let an old curmudgeon slide. He will, won't he?

I mean, if you gotta be that way, at least don't brag about it.

Besides, I'm just feeling contrary today. Tomorrow I will think it's a spiffy thing to do. Maybe?

We love ya, Vic. Remember that, when you response!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DanS
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2015 03:15 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
Aw Vic's method seems to be working for him. Heck I remember a guy who would borrow 17 rem ammo,or dig around in the floorboards of his Bronco until he found a couple rounds. [Smile]

He's probably out trading off a subcal rifle, for a 243 or such to hunt coyotes with next season. <laffin>

[ April 06, 2015, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: DanS ]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted April 06, 2015 03:24 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe he won't see this? Ya think?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2015 03:36 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
But...........Isn't Vic the guy who shoots running coyotes from behind him using a mirror to aim with ??

Putting the Zatarain's Blackened Seasoning on the popcorn right now !!!!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2015 04:52 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Christ all mighty Leonard; shouldn't you be out mowing your lawn with hand clippers and a tape measure to be sure each blade is uniform in height? Instead, you've been sitting around the house, and reflecting on that sonofabitch down McNeal way, who has been handloading ammunition since he was 15 years old, thinks he knows the ins and outs of things rifle, handgun and hunting, and doesn't even take the time to clean a fucking primer pocket!
Had me laughing at your tirade, and no insult taken. Why don't I uniform and clean primer pockets? I suppose because I don't have to, and it's not a matter of saving time or energy or anything else, it's simply because it doesn't matter, to me that is.
I also don't trickle powder charges, I weigh my work up load on a scale of course, and when reaching the proper charge weight, I use a powder dump, and go to loading. Why don't I trickle each charge for each case....because it doesn't matter.
I don't weigh each bullet, or each case either, because Ive never found it matters for practical accuracy. All my coyote and varmint rifles were extremely accurate within my parameters. If a rifle is shooting consistent 1/4"- 1/2" inch groups, what possible difference could any of the extraneous masturbations reloading loonies do, make it shoot exponentially better for hitting a coyote 100 yards away?
End of my shallow rebuttal, I hang my head in shame for not taking the extra ten minutes to uniform my primer pockets.
Im wasting day light; I have to get out and organize my shop, I like to turn all the various paint cans and aerosols facing forward so I can see the labels, and make sure there are no 6 penny nails in the 8 penny can:)

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2015 05:04 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't bothered to clean a primer pocket in some years (I used to, actually uniform them every time...).

But if it will make Leonard feel better, I'll try and remember to do it next time I load. It's a small thing, least I can do! There is some utility to uniforming, too, as a means of pressure evaluation (fresh chips = pressure). Just have not bothered with it for years is all.

I have not bothered to weigh cases in a long time either, much longer since I did that, than clean a primer pocket. But I'm not going back to that.

I do put some effort into initial case sorting - I throw away any with more than about .0015 neck thickness variation. Well, I keep a few with as much as .002, depending, but not usually. And I neck turn all my cases, have to, for most of my rifles.

Once I get a batch of brass culled, neck turned and fireformed, that's about the last of any special care or treatment they ever get from me, though.

From there, I don't use case lube, I don't weigh charges, I don't do much of anything except run them through a bushing neck die, seat a new primer, dump powder in and seat a bullet.

I'd tell you how I never trim brass, either, would rather throw away a few short ones, if they bother me, than to trim them all to match, and how most of my brass has never and never will seen a trimmer blade, but I don't want to start anything [Big Grin] .

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2015 05:05 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, didn't have time to mention in my morning post. I do clean primer pockets. I like them clean, probably doesn't matter ? that's just me.

I guess, I wasn't called out on that though..Lol

As far as weighing cases. I guess if things start becoming a problem I will look into it.

Hey, Vic @ least Leonard didn't pick on us for not having cell phones.. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2015 05:07 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and I never tumble brass either.

Went 20 years reloading without a tumbler. Bought one. Used it a couple times. Wondered why I thought I needed one. Haven't used it since. That was about 15 years ago.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2015 05:11 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
now, I do tumble brass, I like it clean. I don't inside neck lube

[ April 06, 2015, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: DanS ]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2015 05:27 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, I saw that he answered right away while i was reading what Lance wrote about a double standard, or something?

I went, "GULP" but, not so bad, and now he's cooled off and doing important stuff like turning all his cans so he can read 'em! What a guy!

On the other hand, my old partner, 25 years we sure logged a lot of miles. But whereas I had to do all the minuscule accuracy stuff just to stay with him, he was actually kinda sloppy in his approach to reloading. But, he had a superb rifle, an original Obendorf Commercial Mauser with (unheard of) double set triggers and a barrel made from the axle of a truck, (I think?) He had a damned fine accuracy rifle chambered in 22 Varminter before they standardized it. and I had an ordinary Ruger; know what I mean, Vernon?

So, it didn't matter what he did, it always shot great. Even the scope, a 6X24 Balvar, the most impressive scope you ever saw. While I had a very plain 3X9 Leupold. But between us, we racked 'em and stacked 'em. Pat was just a lucky fucker, blessed, actually and in many ways, reminds me of Victor.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: and DAA and Dave and Dan....

[ April 06, 2015, 05:33 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2015 05:43 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I cleaned primer pockets cause the book said to.

I bought a Dillon a few weeks ago to load pistol ammo and it bothered me at first that couldn't but now I wonder why I did for so many years.

Oh ya, cause the book said so.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2015 04:09 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I gots one-a-dem RCBS Case Prep Centers. One motor runs 5 different points, each threaded to accept a 'tool' of some sort. I have mine set up
1: VLD chamfer tool
2. de-burring tool
3. flashole de-burring tool (only used 1x, after trim to uniform size)
4. primer pocket uniformer
5. primer pocket brush

After a tumble, I re-size/de-prime. Quick wipe of the neck/shoulder with an old t-shirt, then each case gets a loop around the Prep Center...

Going from a (clean) fired case ----> to one re-sized & ready for new primer, takes about 12 seconds. IMHO, not a terrible time investment.

Plenty of ways to skin that cat. Just kinda got used to doing it the way I outlined & have stayed with it.
The small amount of black debris that accumulates at the bottom of the primer pocket uniformer tells me that the extra second or two on that tool is doing something? How that translates to the target, I'm sure I don't know. But I gots my 'system', and I'm stickn' to it...

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2015 08:15 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I cleaned primer pockets cause the book said to.

I bought a Dillon a few weeks ago to load pistol ammo and it bothered me at first that couldn't but now I wonder why I did for so many years.

Oh ya, cause the book said so.

No, you did it for the same reason that you brush your teeth. The same reason why you wash your car. The same reason why AR Shaw replaces the cap on the peanut butter, even though he will be back digging in the jar in a couple minutes.

You did it because you are a red blooded American, and a good son to your mother.

You did it because those dirty primer pockets are disgusting, and as with everything within the realm of handloading, cleanliness is next to Godliness.

Now go forth and sin no more.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2015 09:16 AM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
I got two wildcat rifles I don’t even resize the brass for.
Neck is tight and still has plenty of tension to hold a bullet after firing.
Just use a lee universal deprimer to knock the old primer out, refill with powder and seat a bullet.
Back in the ammo box – go forth and shoot stuff.

Since all yall were coming clean about dirty primer pockets….

On another note, me and a buddy went in and bought a bore scope….thats some scary shit when you look at the inside of a hotrod barrel that has over a thousand rounds down it.

Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2015 10:53 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
When I hit the Lotto, I will buy a borescope just like Kelly's! I have too many of those "hotrods" with a thousand rounds down the bore. Two possible solutions; new barrel, or cut a new chamber.

New barrels cost big bucks, and cutting a couple inches of performance is cheaper; just pay for labor but you don't know if accuracy will substantially improve, and for how long?

Accuracy is such a subjective catagory. I'm not in favor of constantly monitoring accuracy unless I have a reason to think it's not what it once was. And, how bad is it?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2015 11:24 AM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
New barrels cost big bucks, and cutting a couple inches of performance is cheaper; just pay for labor but you don't know if accuracy will substantially improve, and for how long?

gonna find out this summer. Ive got one we are for the sake of knowing gonna do just that. Test groups as is......cut off each end and rechamber crown. Keep up with the round count and see how long before it shits the bed. If it even improves. I already got another barrel resting in the corner for next fall if need be.

Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2015 11:45 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Cat Daddy, gonna jump in, for the sake of the Peanut Gallery, and mention about why you aren't having to re-size. Its likely a combination of the fact that those two wildcats have sharp (40°) shoulders, have chambers cut with min. spec'ed dimensions, and you are using good brass...

Certainly would not recommend that as being sound practice for just any application. I know you know that. But just sayin', just in case anyone was scratchin' their head bout that...

Since I'm having to pop primers out anyway, I run a bushing neck die & add a couple thou. of neck tension for my AI & .17Predator.

Always interested to learn about what works, though!

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2015 12:18 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Damn Leonard; it seems now that you've shook out the dog blanket, a few more fleas like me are falling out. Admittedly, I only had a very small amount of humility thinking I was the only bastard child that was not subscribing to "proper" reloading techniques.....with bedfellows like Dave, Kelly and Tom, hell; I almost feel vindicated!
Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
cornstalker
PACKS AROUND WAY TOO MUCH SHIT, AND ADMITS IT
Member # 4593

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2015 07:35 PM      Profile for cornstalker           Edit/Delete Post 
This thread sure has made me ponder a few things. Weird how when I load pistol cartridges I don't give a rats ass about the small stuff. No trimming, primer pocket nurturing, nothing. Knock the chunks off, run them through the Dillon, blast them, pick 'em up and do it again.

With rifle cartridges, each one is a lovingly handcrafted work of art. I wouldn't dream of loading a case that didn't shine like a diamond in a goats ass, inside and out. I even tumble my brass before and after a case prep routine very similar to Freddy's.

My hypocrisy knows no bounds...

Posts: 35 | From: Colorado | Registered: Mar 2015  |  IP: Logged
jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2015 09:58 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
Some of the range brass I've picked up over the years has had swaged primers. I take care of that with a little tool that works nicely. That's about as close as I've ever come to primer pocket prep. Eh, wait a minute...after de-capping/sizing, I dump the case into a paint rolling pan and hose them generously with brake cleaner, then fire up the compressor and give each of them a hearty blow job. I thought this was kind of anal for hunting rounds.

Reloading, no right way, plenty of wrong ways, the proof is in the pudding.

Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters