The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » Ok ok (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Ok ok
TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted January 25, 2014 10:20 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
For those that allowed the 22-250ai and the 55 gr NBT are a perfect combination, you were right. I finally drug mine out this morning and killed 3 coyotes from 75, 200 and 250 yards without a twitch and no fur damage.

You were right...

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
DiYi
Wears wife's pink panties under his camo for good luck. (yeah, right!)
Member # 3785

Icon 1 posted January 25, 2014 10:33 AM      Profile for DiYi           Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Tom.Care to give some load specifics?Particularly interested in velocity.
Posts: 623 | From: SoDak | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 25, 2014 12:36 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Can we state the obvious? The 22-250Ackley is the perfect, all around coyote chambering.

Most people I know have the 1-12 twist and use the Nosler 55 gr. Ballistic Tip. Mine is a little different with my 28 1/2" Hart barrel, although I could probably use the Nosler since it's a thicker jacket than the Berger I originally tried....without success. So, I have stayed with 65 grain bullets and couldn't be happier with the performance, accuracy, BC, velocity. It's the perfect night hunting truck gun @ 18 pounds. A careful shot at a standing coyote is almost guaranteed.

This cartridge deserves legitimacy as a factory offering, and I have been saying this since day one, over ten years and going strong. And, I'm a guy that used a 220Swift almost exclusively for fifteen years, thinking it couldn't be improved upon.

I got around 3800fps with the 55 Sierra or a 53 Hornady, in the 26" swift. My Ackley does 3925 all day long with a 65 grain bullet, it's a hold on fur rifle out to 430 yards.

Yeah, there are others that are useful, but the 22-250AI is a winner, hard to beat.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: in my gun, I use H414 exclusively. 44.0 grains.

[ January 25, 2014, 12:37 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted January 25, 2014 01:10 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Mine is not your typical coyote gun and far on the other end of Leonard's. It's a Kimber Montana wearing a 22" factory duped contoured 6.5 lb gun complete with the 3.5-10 Leupold scope, sling and a mag full of shells. You either understand the trade offs or you don't but I walk a lot and this one suits me.

I'm running 3824 fps with the 55's with RL 15. I had envisioned the 75 gr Amax and had it twisted 1/8" but never found a load with both accuracy and velocity. The 55's gave me the same velocity as my 50's do in my vanilla 22-250 and it grouped 5 into 1/2" so I quit trying for any more velocity.

First blood and the rifle.

-

DiYi
Wears wife's pink panties under his camo for good luck. (yeah, right!)
Member # 3785

Icon 1 posted January 25, 2014 01:48 PM      Profile for DiYi           Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome.Thanks Gentlemen.
Posts: 623 | From: SoDak | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2014 09:00 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
I like how you roll Tom.

Sounds like a perfect setup for how I hunt also.

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2014 10:05 AM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
I like that lightweight Kimber setup Tom. I don't hike a lot, but ride a ton of mines on my snowmachine. An extra pound of rifle on my back after a day of riding is definitely noticeable. Light is where it's at for me. Hence the NULA that usually rides with me.
Posts: 857 | From: Alaska | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2014 10:21 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
OMG! Sorry, I can't help myself.

Dave, I like the way YOU roll! Don't give up on the thutty/thutty! [Smile]

Good hunting. El Bee

PS did I ever tell you about the new guy I took up to Nevada? He insisted on using his Model 94, which he had put reflector tape on the sights, for night hunting. He missed 4 or 5 chip shots, don't remember right now. The next morning, I asked him to shoot at the side of a concrete wall, which he did. I needed a yardstick to measure the three shot group. Then I took three shots myself, just to see if there was something wrong with the gun, or him? Nothing to brag about, I shot a 3-4 inch three shot group.

Then I told him either he use one of my guns, or if he insisted, I wanted him to hide behind a bush forty yards out and wait for a coyote to come running by and brain him with the butt of the rifle as that would be the only way he was ever going to kill one!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2014 10:38 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm all over it Leonard.

Rolled some hand loads last night, and, I'm headed to the range shortly. Temps in the 20's and still foggy. Did I ever mention, I hate the fucking fog ?

This thutty/thutty is going to kick my ass, or I'm kicking its ass !

Peace.. [Smile]

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2014 04:29 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice, Tom. Since you've settled on the 55s.... [Smile]
Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2014 07:54 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Jim I have 428 non moly'd 75 Amax's that are midway over runs/blems. E mail me your address and I'll send em to you and you can replace them with 55 NBT's, I think 300 would be about equal value but whatever you think is fair.
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2014 07:59 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I tried to add my email but it didn't work. tomdci at hotmail.com

Btw, Hornady started running them again last week...

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2014 05:47 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Sweet little rig there, Tom!
Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2014 08:08 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Fred, you gonna make it to Cheyenne?
knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2014 08:23 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Gonna try to, Tom!
Be down by KJ & Jayde next Thursday/Fri, then up by Ronnie over the weekend. Would be GREAT to have a second trip out!!! Gotta see if work allows for it...

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2014 03:02 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I have had to go back to the drawing board with my .22-250AI too. Can't find any 60 grain Bergers any where.So I worked up a load using the Berger 55 grain target bullets. They seemed to work quite well while fireforming. Any way I am using RL15 and the 55 grain Bergers and they are working great. Excellent accuracy and 3900 fps. Kills coyotes very dead and not much damage at all. Best of all I bought 10 boxes and will be getting 10 more soon. I really wish the 60's were around because I really did like them. I really wish Berger would get there shit together.

They also discontinued my favorite .17 bullet, the 25 grain Match

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2014 04:25 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Chad. Don't forget. When they discontinue a bullet doesn't necessarily mean they don't have any. That's how I got my supply, I called and bitched about availability, (told him who I was, snicker, snicker) and the guy said they still had 17 boxes of the 62gr. in the back room, and offered at half price yet!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2014 04:46 PM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Just came home to a package from Swampworks, finally got some 75gr JLKs to play with! Figure we can get them going 3650+ from a new project build.
With a b.c of .425. that combo will make for a head turner inside outer!!!

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2014 05:33 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, maybe that's what I need to do. I do have a hundred 60's left but I was so pissed that every place I looked was (out of stock;no back order), including Bergers website that I switched to the 55's. And ordered enough of them to last damn near as long as the barrel will. I noticed on another site that a bunch of guys are getting together to order some .17s since to get them to do a special run you have to order like 100,000 bullets or something like that. If they keep pulling this shit I might just go with the 55 grain Nosler ballistic instead of dealing with it.

Good Hunting Chad

TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2014 06:52 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I shot my 204 last year with 40 gr Vmax's and liked how they killed coyotes but didn't like the damage they did on cats. So I thought no problem, I'll grab some 35 gr Bergers. I found 2 boxes and haven't found anymore. Berger needs to step it up.

But I've always liked Nosler.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2014 07:11 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a question. Linkedin keeps telling me there is somebody I MIGHT know named:

Tom Austin
Owner, Predator Strikeforce

I have no idea who this is, I know exactly three people with the first name of Tom, and one is my brother.

Any idea who this is?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2014 07:44 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, nice packable setup you have there. I'm a 55 NBT user and up to this point, haven't had the desire to keep searching for something better.

Leonard,

Concerning this Tom Austin guy. I think he might write for that free predator magazine. "Predator Extreme" or something like that. Probably like many here, I get that mag, but never subscribed and I seem to remember that guy as having a column or writes monthly articles. Won't swear to it though.

[ January 27, 2014, 07:45 PM: Message edited by: Lonny ]

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Eddie
Member # 4324

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2014 08:18 PM      Profile for Eddie   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Tom Austin writes the Caller for Hire spot in PX.
Says he a professional guide hunting 40 hours a week.

Posts: 275 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2014 08:43 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Never heard of him.
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2014 09:19 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, since we have brought it up. I get that publication, free. I wouldn't subscribe to it.

Almost all the articles I find something with which to disagree, and often, most of it. I don't know where they dig these guys up.

One in particular, how to handle multiples. As far as I'm concerned, total bullshit. Shoot the furthest one? Really?

I take the closest easiest shot first. Sometimes, they keep coming and you get another chip shot.

Then again, those close in animals will scatter pretty quick, and in many places I hunt, it doesn't take very long for the other ones to disappear.

Anyway, I think the advice stinks. And, that's the way a lot of the articles are, amateurish, like a high school term paper.

Maybe I'm just being a dick? That's my opinion.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: actually, I was guessing it was Tom64? Sorry, Tom

[ January 27, 2014, 09:20 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters