The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » Brass Trimming. (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Brass Trimming.
Cayotaytalker
DOES NOT TEACH/SUSPECTED OKIE
Member # 1954

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2013 08:24 PM      Profile for Cayotaytalker   Email Cayotaytalker         Edit/Delete Post 
I know I didnt have any luck with a sharpie blkacking one out with smoke might work good enough.

--------------------
Now thats prime coyote country!

Posts: 403 | From: LasVegas Nevada | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Cayotaytalker
Member # 1954

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2013 08:58 PM      Profile for Cayotaytalker   Email Cayotaytalker         Edit/Delete Post 
I will try and post some photos of what I have been up to.This is my reloading bench. over kill but works. There was to be two more photos but they didnt take.
The edit was just to add the work bench coment.

-

[ April 07, 2013, 09:03 PM: Message edited by: Cayotaytalker ]

--------------------

Prune Picker
AR Forum Assistant Moderator-handgun GURU and dispenser of sage advice
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2013 10:26 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
CT, that's a nice bench. I'm not sure you can overbuild one. If you have any thoughts about adding a progressive press in the future you will be glad you built a sturdy bench due to the vibrations encountered with a progressive. As far as Lyman products, no worries as far as quality goes, they make good "stuff"

--------------------
mike

Posts: 1265 | From: "Oklahomie" | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 08, 2013 03:43 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Cayotay Dude;
Listen very carefully.........
"Anything worth doing is worth over-doing!!!!"
(And there are few things more worthless than a wobbly workbench.)
[Big Grin]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7582 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted April 08, 2013 06:23 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
One thing you will come to grips with is, it's to low. To my mind, a reloading bench should always be at the height you can comfortably stand in front of to utilize properly.
I can't imagine sitting, and operating the handles and levers of my loading equipment.

Posts: 1629 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted April 08, 2013 06:39 AM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
it took nine firings before I found a 243AI brass that needed trimming...hate to trim brass and not a primer pocket cleaner.....yet...lol
Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Baldknobber
Knows what it's all about
Member # 514

Icon 1 posted April 08, 2013 06:51 AM      Profile for Baldknobber   Email Baldknobber         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I take the redneck approach to brass trimming. I put a brand new piece of brass in the trimmer, set the stop on the trimmer to that length and then trim away. Hasn't seemed to hurt my accuracy any. I reload so hunt and save $ so Im not that anal about it. Seems to work for me.

--------------------
JTBMO

Posts: 202 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted April 08, 2013 06:52 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Benches are certainly a "preference" type of deal,I have yet to buy or build the ideal one.

That being said, I'm with Vic. I like to stand up, years ago I stiffened up reinforced an old TV entertainment center we were going to get rid of.

The press is on top, and everything below makes for good storage ect..It's redneck for sure but works..

[ April 08, 2013, 06:54 AM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 08, 2013 07:27 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's exactly what I thought, looking at the photo; not high enough. I don't always stand, depending, but I spent much time locating the bar stool that was the right height.

These things evolve.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cayotaytalker
Member # 1954

Icon 1 posted April 08, 2013 07:32 AM      Profile for Cayotaytalker   Email Cayotaytalker         Edit/Delete Post 
Dave and Vic It might well be a bit low it's 8'long,2'wide and 34''tall.I'm on curb watch for somthing that would fit on top just right for storage.
This bench could be a combo bench of sorts. I work off of a chair reloading. But stand at it for odd jobs. But it's ment to be reloading only.
I just cleaned two carbs one a quad one a motor bike. And had to replace the primeing bulb on a lawn mower did that one off the tail gate of a pickup. The two carbs mostly hand held and standing up.

--------------------

Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted April 08, 2013 08:31 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh' I think you're good. I just prefer to stand up when re-sizing brass, press operation, ect..

My buddy sits, and uses an old desk, like I said we all have different "preferences" in how we do things.

Might need to get after the dream reloading bench, you may have provided the insperation !

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 08, 2013 09:22 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm the same as Leonard, I use a stool to sit on when I reload. Sure gets old if you have to stand all the time..

Cayotaytalker if it gets to be a hassle cause its to low just put some cement blocks under the legs to raise it up some...

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5065 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted April 08, 2015 05:55 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this might be worthy of bringing a two year old thread back ?

I noticed Dave mentioned trimming after the 1st firing.

I wonder about trimming to minimum spec when the brass new and just forget about it ?

That's kinda what I've been doing anyway. This might be a topic again where we can all exchange info from. Plus we should probably all get AI's anyway !!

TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted April 08, 2015 08:15 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I clean primer pockets, can't stand not to.

Well that was 2 years ago and before the Dillon, LOL.

I still hate to trim brass

[ April 08, 2015, 08:16 PM: Message edited by: TOM64 ]

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2015 03:10 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I do what Dave does. Allow that virgin brass to form fit & spring back in your chamber on that 1st firing, then trim the whole batch to uniform size.

And being that my flashhole de-burring tool's cutter indicates on case length, after trimming 1x fired to a set min. length, that brass gets a "one & done" ride on the de-burring tool. Seeing the amount of shrapnel that bitch cuts away from inside the flashhole of some brass makes doing so worth the effort...

+1 for Improved shoulders!
Just received the PT&G bolt for my 6x45AI build, should be a cute little sucker...

[ April 09, 2015, 03:18 AM: Message edited by: knockemdown ]

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Fur_n_Dirt
So. Ariz. Zone Tech. Expert
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2015 05:39 AM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed on the 223 , the brass length changes with each firing..

You guys were right, with the AI's , the brass doesn't want to walk.

I use the Wilson trimmer. That thing is bad ass. I put the brass in a metal sleeve, the sleeve sits on the rail, and start spinning the cutter..

--------------------
--- It's all simple if you know what you are doing ---

Posts: 437 | From: Tucson | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2015 07:45 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I will concede this much. If you are "reloading" on a progressive, who gives a shit about primer pockets? The whole thing screams PRODUCTION PISTOL RELOADING, and MACHINE GUN RIFLE RELOADING.

In almost fifty years, I have never even given it a thought towards a Dillon press. Because I'm not a volume shooter, blasting away at targets, etc. In a hunting application, I question the need?

You have people (like Victor) that get into comp pistol and that's a volume situation and if you already have it, then I can see using it for some bottleneck cartridges. Especially suited for all you blasters out there. Or, anybody with an AR who loves to pull the trigger. And, loves to pull the trigger....

I have never trimmed any handgun cases? I have never trimmed any Ackley cases? I don't hate neck trimming. I don't hate neck turning. I don't hate chamfering. It's good therapy.

Good hunting. Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2015 09:31 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Ya ElBee, this thought of progressive presses never took more than a "be nice to have" even as a machine gunner. But when I decided to get serious about pistols, I found myself shooting 150-200 rounds each trip. That meant a Dillon and I'm glad I did it.

But it also showed me I took too much time prepping cases. Need to spend more time shooting and less time fretting the small stuff.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters