The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » 204 Guys (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Author Topic: 204 Guys
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted February 17, 2013 09:07 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody tried the Nosler 40gr BT's on coyotes ? noticed a box on the shelf the other day, probably should have bought 'em if nothing else for sage rats.

Instead bought the last two boxes of Sierra 39gr BK's which shot well in my last 204, for rats, never shot a coyote with a 204.

Still not sure what to think of the Barnes match bullets ? Don't matter can't find 'em anyway.

Just curious..

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted February 17, 2013 09:16 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't tried em myself but my cousin (usual hunting partner) uses them and loves em for coyotes but says with the damage they do on coyotes, he prefers his 17 Rem. for cats.

I do have a few boxes of them and will try them out due to the results I'm getting with 40 gr Vmax's. the boat tail will make loading much easier than the Hornady's.

The 39 gr Sierra is the reason I gave up on the 204 the first go round. Way too frangible.

[ February 18, 2013, 08:46 AM: Message edited by: TOM64 ]

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 17, 2013 09:24 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Dave I'm useing the 40 gr. V-max's at the moument in my 20x47 lapua and get 50/50 results as far as damage goes. Either get one hole in or a big splash. I'm moveing them along at 3900-4000 fps. and maybe if shot at a little slower speed they would'nt be too bad..(????)
I also have a full box of Noslers 40 gr. I was hopeing to get around trying next week if we get the big snow Thur. A friend recommended them over the Hornadys so we will see how they do...

What kind of Vel. does the 204 get with a 40 gr. bullet??

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5081 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Prune Picker
AR Forum Assistant Moderator-handgun GURU and dispenser of sage advice
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted February 17, 2013 09:38 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Dave i was just on Sinclair's web site. They show the Berger 20cal, 40gr Match Varmit in stock in 100 rnd box for 31.99. I'm not sure if that is what you're looking for tho.

[ February 17, 2013, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: Prune Picker ]

--------------------
mike

Posts: 1265 | From: "Oklahomie" | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted February 17, 2013 09:45 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
I was kinda thinking with the flat base, or whatever it's called the Nosler might hold together better than the BK or V-max, hmmm ?

Might have to check and see how large the "meplat" is. I'm not a big fur type of guy, just like things dead.

The light recoil is certainly interesting in these small calibers. Oh yeah it's a nifty CZ American..BTW.

Prune Picker
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted February 17, 2013 10:08 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Dave i'm not sure if i have ever fired anything in 20 cal. I was looking for some Berger's in 6mm and saw the 20 cal 40gr bullets in stock. I think this is Tom's second go around with the 204 and i'm sure he has some good info.

--------------------
mike

the bearhunter
HM PROSTAFF & MIDWEST REGIONAL GURU VOTED MOST HANDSOME MINNESOTAN
Member # 3552

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2013 07:57 AM      Profile for the bearhunter           Edit/Delete Post 
from several guys i know that hunt coyotes with a 204, seems that either the 40 bt's and bergers are the best in a factory load.
i'd be all over a 204 "if" someone would come out with a mid 30's high b.c. bullet with a tough construction

Posts: 1049 | From: minnifornia | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
tawnoper
Member # 497

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2013 08:30 AM      Profile for tawnoper   Email tawnoper         Edit/Delete Post 
IMO...the Noslers are about the best for coyotes. I didn't like the 39gr Sierra. As said, way too frangible. The Sierras usually shoot some of the tightest groups though...
Posts: 53 | From: socal | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2013 08:35 AM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
Been running some 40gr Bergers at 4000 out of a 204AI. Works pretty good.
Had to get the dogs out to find a couple.
Pretty sure I can make any bullet or caliber look bad from time to time.

Will say I like the 40 bergers better than the 35 berger if just shooting coyotes.

Been fireforming with the 35's on cat stands.

Let me know how the 40gr NBT work after you shoot some coyotes with them Dave.

Stay after them
Kelly

Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2013 11:05 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
There he is: Cat Daddy. Vic said recently, (like last Thursday) I don't know why Kelly thinks I am his hero, he's killing a hell of a lot more coyotes than I ever did?

Me too. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31473 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Jackson
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2013 12:15 PM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
Vic,
Because you get it done without a bunch of fluff. You just take care of business. I admire that.
Plus thanks to LB’s campout I got to meet you in person and found you to be a true Gentleman.
Not many folks I say that about.

Stay after them
Kelly

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted February 18, 2013 03:32 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, he is that. And, does that; and I consider him to be a good friend. And, remember, he reads this stuff every day so he's getting the message.

As far as the campout. Hell yeah, I have met some real good people at these campouts. Including Kelly and Vic. Never would have met any of these guys if it wasn't for the campouts. Worth it.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2013 03:52 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of camp-outs..........
Last year's could have been planned a wee bit better. We didn't know until the last minute when, where or even if.
So.........
Might I suggest that we kick it around until, say, the first day of summer, after which El Bee (since it IS his board) can choose the when & where or pull a date and place out of a hat.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7584 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2013 04:10 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, koko. For my two cents, I wasn't getting any feedback on anything, location dates anything and somebody said just pick it and let 'em scramble to make it but get something posted asap. So, talking with Clint, I just threw up my hands and said screw it, let's get it done.

I know it wasn't the best but better than nothing. This year we will do a little advance planning and maybe that will make the difference. Hope so?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2013 04:26 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I bet if I would of made it there would of been standing room only... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2013 04:58 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, just like that attraction on I-10 between Tucson and Benson, called "THE THING". Some peeps would pay money to get a look at Tim Anderson. You need an agent?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

the bearhunter
HM PROSTAFF & MIDWEST REGIONAL GURU VOTED MOST HANDSOME MINNESOTAN
Member # 3552

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2013 05:02 PM      Profile for the bearhunter           Edit/Delete Post 
i want to be first in line [Smile]
Posts: 1049 | From: minnifornia | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2013 05:25 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Would be cheaper to just come down here, but then again. Whats the price of a funeral these days. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Prune Picker
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2013 05:35 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I had half of Alaska here from April thru Nov last year. Tom and i spoke of it a couple of times tho maybe this yr? And Tom, Ryan is settled into his new place in Chandler and you are welcome there. But his shitty pool isn't heated! Or he won't run the heater for some silly reason.

--------------------
mike

Kelly Jackson
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2013 06:51 PM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
DO it early to mid Oct if possible.
Things get real busy towards the end of the year.

I would like to see AZ again if Clint and Paul will have me...

Take care
Kelly

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2013 06:54 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Okie Dokie, I'm now on a search for Noslers, thanks for the help everyone.

I'll blow up some rats with the BK's this spring.

Kelly, I'm glad I held on to my 204 brass, was gonna ship ya some for free !! Lol..Didn't mention that @ the time though, did I... [Big Grin]

Kelly Jackson
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2013 06:57 PM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
Thx Dave - I got plenty of Norma 204 brass now, along with 900 40gr bergers and 600 50gr Bergers.

But its the thought that counts.
kj

TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2013 10:44 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Another good thing about the 204, components are everywhere.
Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2013 09:29 AM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never tried anything but the bergers in both the 35 and 40, because I've never seen the need to. Both bullets seem to work for me, very well.
And of all the horror storys about surface spash resulting in run offs, I can't remember any of those storys including bergers. It was always some bullet in the 32 gr. size with plastic tips, every time.

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Jackson
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2013 10:42 AM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
TR - here is a post I made last Feb 17th with 35gr Bergers....Like I said above, I can make any caliber or bullet look bad from time to time...

Took a half day vacation, headed north and west in about an hour to hunt a contest tomorrow.

Had a little time before I had to hit the road, so went and made a cat stand about 4 miles from the house. At 11 minutes had a coyote coming hard. Barked it to a stop about 80 yards out. Perfect broadside shot, put it right behind the shoulder and touched the 204 off.
Coyote takes off into a herd of momma cow like it aint even hit. Foxbang has kicked in and pick my bottom jaw off the ground to see a 2nd coyote about 220 out. Take my time and make the shot right behind the shoulder.
Wait a few more minutes and nothing else shows, so I go down to look for the 2nd coyote and find NOTHING….go to where the 1st one was…Nothing.
Walk back to where I think I shot the 2nd one and make a big circle, while my mind is spinning as to what just happened. Still nothing.
Find an old bottle and set it up 175 yards out and walk back to where my sticks are. Get set up, press the trigger and watch glass explode in the scope. I KNOW I HIT THOSE COYOTES……
Walk back down to exactly where I shot the 2nd coyote and find blood and hair. Got a good blood trail for about 30 yards leading into a wide open area……no coyote to be seen. Make another circle and find nothing.
Load up and head home for the CRT – COYOTE RECOVERY TEAM. Get the dogs loaded and head back.
Dump them out where I shot the 2nd coyote and told them to hunt dead. Less than a minute they have it found. Coyote had doubled back and was dead under a log. I had walked within 10 yards of it and not seen it.

-

Took them to the last spot I had seen the 1st coyote and told them to find him dead. They started looking and I was walking to a plum thicket where I thought the coyote might be. No coyote, I see Pepper heading south at a good clip and then into a blackberry thicket. See a coyote come trotting out the other side. I think it might be another coyote as we are 700-800 yards from where I had made the shot. Pepper is hot behind the coyote, then Peaches and Tater is bringing up the rear. Coyote gets to the next blackberry thicket and I heard Peach squall. I knew the coyote had ahold of her. By the time I got there they had it bayed up and thinking it would be dead by now, I didn’t bring my gun.

-

-

Dogs had a good hold, so I waded in and finished it with my knife. Never done that before on a coyote, but it is what it is.

Contest pics add 50 points for team 4 SCORED

-

-

Not real happy with the 204, as I will lose a few coyotes every year with it, but it works so well on the cats, I still carry it. Both of these coyotes where hit behind the shoulder and the bullets appear to have splashed on a rib…. On the 1st coyote, I did catch a little leg meat, but no bone.

Wish me luck and think no rain for the contest tomorrow.
YAll have a good weekend and stay after them
Kelly

edit to add, you can see why this is one of my better cat spots. Tends to hold a few coyotes also.

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters