The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » Wipe out arrived today

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wipe out arrived today
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 19, 2012 08:19 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I got the adapter tube and I reread the barrel cleaning thread. But, I'm still not sure on how to start. Do I just plug the breech and fill from the muzzle with foam? I bought the aerosol by the way. I only got one can and if this shit is that good, I will probably need a lot more if I plan on doing every long gun in the safe. And, I don't have that much bench space to work with, so it will have to be a long drawn out affair.

Just what I needed, something else to worry about. I better sleep better when I'm finished. Cleaning a gun is getting more expensive. A small bottle of Montana Extreme, Wipe out and some patches cost almost $50. Eek!

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted April 19, 2012 08:33 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
Wish I knew you were gonna try it. I might have sent you the nearly full can I have, just to get it out of my way.

The price of good patches is pretty silly.

Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 19, 2012 08:37 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, patches are getting more expensive all the time. One thousand were about eleven dollars.

So, I guess you are not very impressed with Wipe Out to be giving a nearly full can away? Wish I had known that, ditto.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

jimanaz
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted April 19, 2012 08:58 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
It works OK. It certainly wasn't anything magic, IMO. I seldom get involved in discussions about cleaning products because everybody has their favorite and/or special voodoo stuff.

I bought it when I needed to clean a very badly neglected .22 before I passed it on as a gift. Badly neglected might not be a vivid enough description. I bought it used when I was probably 10 or so and shot the shit out of it for many, many years. As I got older, I became interested in larger calibers and had the where with all to buy some and the .22 stayed home more and more. I had always considered it to be a pretty accurate plinker, but all of a sudden it wouldn't shoot straight anymore. Rather than addressing the issue, I just put it away for several years. I needed to free up some safe room and knew a kid that needed a first rifle, so I got this big idea, but I couldn't give him my first rifle when it wouldn't hit the barn wall from inside.

The Wipeout and other solvents finally got it cleaned up so it shot well again, but it was, as you say, a long, drawn out process. Now days when I have a problem I use Remington 40X Bore Solvent. A local expert (you might know him), turned me onto it and it's the best thing I've ever used on PROBLEM barrels. I think it may have some very, very fine lapping grit in it so I don't use it often, but if one is giving me a headache, that stuff cleans it up PDQ. No soaking either and not nearly as messy as Wipeout.

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 19, 2012 10:40 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Never tried wipe out but tried simular and was'nt pleased with the results.. If wipe out was as good as some claim other companies would of jumped on the stuff years ago and just give it another name or use it in another form.

I read about guys useing it from time to time and saying how good it works, I also noticed a majority of them don't run a bore brush through the barrel but just patches till they come out clean..LOL You can do that with most any solvent and get same results..
The final two tests I do to find if my barrel is clean or clean enough is run a brush though a wet barrel and then follow up again with clean wet patches.. This will tell you if you are getting all the powder or carbon out, smaller dia. the barrel the worse it canbe. (require more cleaning)
Second test is I run a few patches of Sweets 7.62 and let it soak for a bit and then hit the barrel with a nylon brush and then run some clean patches down the barrel to see if I got all the copper out..

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 20, 2012 01:44 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
In spite of wet blankets, I will probably (and fearlessly) attempt cleaning a volunteer tomorrow. Or, maybe not?

Stay tuned, as they say. EL BEE

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted April 20, 2012 04:15 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't plug the breech. Fill the bore from the breech. Through the bore guide. Let it expand out the muzzle. Have a garbage can under the muzzle to catch the excess.

Let it sit for a day or two. Patch it out.

That's it for a normal clean.

If it's a fouler or has been neglected or hasn't been really deep cleaned for a long time, simply repeat the process of filling the bore and letting it sit for a couple of days.

If it's really, really bad, let it sit for three or four days.

Used with half a fucking brain, Wipeout will get a barrel completely clean with far less effort than any other product I've ever tried.

The JB and RemClean still have a place for abused and carbon fouled barrels, but for regular cleaning, they are way, way, WAAAAY too much work to fuck with.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted April 20, 2012 02:13 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Used with half a fucking brain, Wipeout will get a barrel completely clean with far less effort than any other product I've ever tried.
Damn, that's subtle. [Smile]

I mostly use "Gunslick Pro, foaming bore cleaner". Seems to work pretty well for me, never really compared it to Wipeout though. Got a bunch of it at a pretty good price, is the main reason.

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
jimanaz
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted April 20, 2012 02:51 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's some light reading and differing big name opinions on products and methods for the time that Wipeout is soaking. Pretty interesting....

Cleaning

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 20, 2012 04:15 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the link Jim.. I see that my gunsmith was included in the write up..

One thing I seen mentioned was the PPC shooters wearing out there barrels at 6-700 rounds and other types of shooters getting more milage.
The guys getting more milage out of a barrel are shooting larger dia. barrels.
From the little bit of shooting I do with varis cal. the smaller the cal. or dia. of barrel the more cleaning is required, but like mentioned in the article alot depends on each barrel..
One thing they failed to mention is powder burn rate.. The guys shooting the ppc or 6 BR are useing powders listed at the faster burn rate compared to the other shooters who are useing slower powders.. A powder like IMR-3031 will burn a throat out faster than a slower powder like IMR-4350. Imr-3031 produces a hotter flame and it makes sense that it will cause more throat wear than a slower powder..

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 20, 2012 04:51 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Shit! Thanks for that. Reading what they all have to say is contradictory, to say the least.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

jimanaz
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted April 20, 2012 05:30 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
And I quote:
quote:
I seldom get involved in discussions about cleaning products because everybody has their favorite and/or special voodoo stuff.
I think just about anything out there will work effectively, if you figure out the proper way to apply it to your particular application.
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 20, 2012 10:44 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not altogether unskilled.

I ran a wet patch through the bore and rigged up the bore guide. First thing, the foam shot through and against the slider door, then backed out the bore guide. I let it sit for an hour and tried to do some more because I don't think I actually filled the bore as I expected. Second attempt was more of the same, blasted straight out the muzzle and when I removed the adapter from the bore guide it came back at me just like before.

It almost seemed like the bore was plugged but I will wait tonight and see what I got, but. So far, I'm not liking this shit. Maybe I should have wrapped the muzzle with a rag to slow it down? It seems to be a lot more pressure than I was expecting, you know? based on the photos of oozing foam I thought it would be a lot more controlled.

We will see in the morning, but so far, I'm not seeing anything (blue foam) coming out the muzzle.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DiYi
Wears wife's pink panties under his camo for good luck. (yeah, right!)
Member # 3785

Icon 1 posted April 21, 2012 04:26 AM      Profile for DiYi           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard hope it works for you.I could never get it to work well without plugging the breech and the muzzle.Finally listened to what you described as my 'anal' friend and ,Voila,very clean barrels WITHOUT the oozing mess and waste.
Rolled/scrunched up paper towel in the breech;about a one second 'phttt'(blast)in the muzzle(laying horizontally);let a bit ooze out then plug the muzzle with a patch tipped Q tip.
Let sit 6-12 hours and then when you patch it out you'll have an inch or two puddle of blue copper laden liquid and a pretty dam clean barrel.
Good luck.

Posts: 623 | From: SoDak | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
tawnoper
Knows what it's all about
Member # 497

Icon 1 posted April 21, 2012 09:46 AM      Profile for tawnoper   Email tawnoper         Edit/Delete Post 
I've used Wipeout for quite awhile...works great. I do as DAA suggests...let it sit a day or two.

For me...I've better luck spraying it in the muzzle. I'll place in a bore guide and set a towel under it (it will take off stock finish). I spray just a little in the muzzle and place my thumb over it. I do just enough so it just shows coming out the bore guide. Works for me.

Posts: 53 | From: socal | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 21, 2012 10:15 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
It's still sitting there, no white foam visible....I must have less than half a brain?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted April 21, 2012 01:26 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
What I did is went to the auto parts store and bought a piece of clear rubber hose, cut off a 6" chunk and fitted to the nozzle.

I drop the floor plate and stuff a rag into the empty cavity, place a piece of tape over the muzzle and stuff the hose into the chamber, and give a squeze, yes it's gonna' back up on ya some. Then remove tape, I set a small trash can below muzzle for dripage.

I always keep old cut up tee-shirts on hand, handy for quick wipe up's.

Wipe out is what it is, for my purposes, mainly it's nice to fill the bore go to bed and even to work the next day and let soak. If time presents itself I still like brushes and patches.

As far as the foam not being white anymore, I believe thats the chemicals working. Thats just a guess on my part though.

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 21, 2012 02:08 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I did all that but there wasn't enough Wipe Out in the bore to even pick up on a dry patch. I'm wondering if there might have been something wrong with the can I got? It blasted through the bore and left a wad on the window and still had a big gob coming back at me, like a whole fist full.

I might have to plug the bore like Di said? It can't be that hard to use?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

the bearhunter
HM PROSTAFF & MIDWEST REGIONAL GURU VOTED MOST HANDSOME MINNESOTAN
Member # 3552

Icon 1 posted April 21, 2012 02:44 PM      Profile for the bearhunter           Edit/Delete Post 
LB wrote: [Smile]
That's what I need, a woman. and,
and left a wad on the window and still had a big gob coming back at me, like a whole fist full.

best hurry on the girlfriend LB before ya go blind [Eek!]

Posts: 1049 | From: minnifornia | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Prune Picker
AR Forum Assistant Moderator-handgun GURU and dispenser of sage advice
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted April 21, 2012 02:57 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone , this is my first post / reply .
I have used several of the "Brand Name" bore cleaners the past several years, but the foaming bore cleaners scare the snot out of me . I never found a way to control where the foam wound up. And from what i have seen , it will damage/alter the finish of most wood stocked rifles.
My best results have come from Sweets 7.62 & Barnes CR 10. But i will not leave anything in the bore for any extended time ( more than 1 hour ). In past times , i have used Hoppes , Shooters Choice etc , but in the mid to late 90's something changed & they wouldn't ( for me )do anything more than wet the bore.

--------------------
mike

Posts: 1265 | From: "Oklahomie" | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 21, 2012 03:06 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
OK. Leonard..

Get a empty plastic pop bottle and slide about a 1/4 of the bottle over the end of barrel. Take a piece of tape and tape end of bottle to gun barrel, just enough tape to keep bottle from falling off or moveing..
The bottle will catch the foam so your window stays clean..
The gun foam I have came with a plastic hose thats attached to the nozzle and the hose needs to be held firmly into the chamber as far as it goes.. Perhaps a bore guide will work as well just have to plug any ports on it..
Use short quick bursts when spraying the foam into the chamber.. As you found out a steady stream will just blow out the end of barrel..
Like mentioned have a bunch of raggs on hand. Good luck..

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 21, 2012 03:22 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
LB wrote:
That's what I need, a woman. and,
and left a wad on the window and still had a big gob coming back at me, like a whole fist full.

best hurry on the girlfriend LB before ya go blind

you have a vivid imagination and a dirty mind, Mr Handsome Minneesotan. And, I already need glasses. So there!

Besides, I think, over on PP is where you will find the Circle Jerk Forum, Fruit Loops moderating.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 21, 2012 03:46 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Who has a bore scope laying around gathering dust that they don't need? $660 bucks is a bit more than I want to spend.

How about ol' Dave? You must have a couple extras, right?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted April 21, 2012 04:02 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't owned my own bore scope for quite a few years now. Just don't have much use for one anymore and have a couple I can borrow anytime.

I use a soda straw on the nozzle, but a piece of hose the right diameter would work maybe even better. I might try that - thanks Dave.

Put the bore guide in place. Put a rag under the back of the bore guide to keep the foam off the stock.

Put a garbage can under the muzzle to catch the drips.

Put straw or hose into bore guide as far as it will reach. Let the foam run in for about two seconds. Don't remove the straw from the bore guide yet. Wait until the foam starts expanding and dripping out the muzzle and you don't feel it trying to push the straw back out anymore.

The bore is full of foam now. Let it sit as long as you want to.

Patch it out. Repeat if needed.

I use one wet patch of regular bore solvent at the end, followed by a couple more dry ones and one with a few drops of colloidal graphite.

Done!

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cayotaytalker
DOES NOT TEACH/SUSPECTED OKIE
Member # 1954

Icon 1 posted April 21, 2012 04:34 PM      Profile for Cayotaytalker   Email Cayotaytalker         Edit/Delete Post 
LB I have faith in ya man get'er done.
hey Dave Allen I still have that Lyman's 48th reloading handbook. Infact I just read it a little this morning.I also have Nosler Reloading Guide and a Speer Reloading Manual#14.
I have been picking up a little gear here in there. Powder trickler, case lube kit,trays. You guys know all the crap a guy needs. man what a money pit lol. I have not loaded any thing yet but hope to before to long.
Any way I think even I could use wipe out and might even give it a try my self.
I just don't have the space for a work bench right now.

--------------------
Now thats prime coyote country!

Posts: 403 | From: LasVegas Nevada | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters