The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » What bullet? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: What bullet?
TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2011 08:04 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Was it the 55 gr V-max ya'll liked for your 22-250 AI's?

I was perfectly content with my 50 gr NBT's in my standard 22-250 until I picked up 200 fps and now I've had one coyote get up and run, another one was a runner but I hit him again and he became a spinner till I took the back of his head off and today I blowed a huge hole in a cat and it didn't exit.

I'm running these at 3833 fps vs my old load that was 3650 fps in my 22" barrel. I also wonder if the 250 count "varmint pack" is a different bullet, maybe a lighter jacket? I killed a couple of coyotes with this combo earlier with no issues but was I just lucky?

I've killed plenty of critters with Nosler Ballistic Tips in the past and found the 50's better than the 55's but this is making me wonder.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2011 11:45 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't use any 50 grain .224" bullet as a matter of principle in a 22-250 of any configuration. I have used quite a few match bullets in 52 and 53 grain HP in 22-250 Remington and 220 Swift. They always performed very well, for me. The best, for me is the 52 Speer and second is the 53 Sierra.

Now, in 22-250 Ackley, as I have said a thousand times, I use 64 and 65 grain bullets. The normal performance I get is to drill the animal straight through and they shudder and drop dead in their tracks. The exit is usually about the size of a 25 cent piece. That's what I want.

I have not ever used the 55 Nosler BT in 22-250 Ackley, but people that I talk to claim it kills very well without a lot of damage, but I don't remember seeing any examples?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
the bearhunter
HM PROSTAFF & MIDWEST REGIONAL GURU VOTED MOST HANDSOME MINNESOTAN
Member # 3552

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2011 03:44 AM      Profile for the bearhunter           Edit/Delete Post 
i quit using the 50 bt's last year out of my 250's. strait ons and broadside worked well but lost to many that were running away. i switched to sierra 55 btsp #1365 and absolutaly love that bullet. pounds them at any angle. exits are usually small.and very accarate out of my rifles
Posts: 1049 | From: minnifornia | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2011 05:22 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard I guess I was thinking of your 223AI, don't you use the 55 V-max in that?

I know 3800 fps isn't all that fast and I've shot these bullets or at least other 50 gr NBT's in other rifles for years. Just never had so many act this way.

DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2011 08:09 AM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
I've only killed maybe a dozen with my new 22-250 AI and the Nosler 55 bt's, so that small number probably doesn't mean too much. Would have like to have called in and killed more.

I am getting quarter to 50 cent size exits. They are very accurate and shoot to almost the exact point of aim as the Sierra 55gr SBT's. I have had a little less damage with the Sierra's and less running. With the Noslers, I have had a few run perhaps 75 yards with what I thought were well placed shots.

Funny thing, I shot a little bobcat a couple weeks ago with the Nosler. About 125 yards almost straight on. It made an ugly spot, though salvageable, but didn't exit either. I did nick the shoulder though.

BTW, I had good luck with the 60gr VMax out of the 223Improved.

[ January 30, 2011, 08:17 AM: Message edited by: DanS ]

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2011 09:31 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
52 gr. sierra H.P. at vel. less than 3800 fps and shots taken under 300 yds..
52 gr. A-max at vel.s faster than 3800 fps and shots taken from 200 yds and more... [Smile]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bofire
READ MY LIPS!
Member # 221

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2011 09:36 AM      Profile for Bofire   Author's Homepage   Email Bofire         Edit/Delete Post 
When I tried 55 VMax in my 22-250 I got huge damage. Most my shots are 100 yards or less, they made some nasty holes. I went to a Hornady soft point unless I hit bone it makes two smaller holes.
Carl

Posts: 322 | From: Wild West | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
CrossJ
SECOND PLACE: PAUL RYAN Look-a-like contest
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2011 11:25 AM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, I like the 55g Nosler in my AI. My velocity is around 3955fps. Its a 26" barrel with a 1/12 twist. I have been very pleased with the bullet. I do have to do some sewing with odd angle shots, but typically do not have an exit.

--------------------
A friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move a body.

Posts: 1025 | From: on a water tower | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2011 06:59 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
It sure made me miss my Sako in 17 Rem but I just don't call enough cats to justify building another one.

Though I do have an extra stock on order...

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2011 05:17 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
My guess is that Geordie has a very good set up for a 22-250AI. I like the one in twelve twist and for a carry gun, 26" is a real practical limit on length. The only question would be on the contour? That rig should last a long time, and outperform a 220 Swift with no neck trimming or split necks. If I build another one, that's probably the specs I will choose. It's a combo that's hard to beat.

Good hunting. LB

edit: To answer a previous question; yes I use the 55 VMax in my 223AI, not the 22-250AI. And, to Bofire, yes, I expect you WOULD get quite a lot of damage with that combination.

edit: and another thing. The 223AI is an Arizona daylight gun and the reason why I am using a destructive bullet is because the coyotes have very little value and I just want them dead.

edit: for Tim. I have no use whatsoever for the Sierra 52Match bullet which is a boattail. The Sierra 53HP (for me) has always been a much better performer at 220Swift velocities.

[ January 31, 2011, 05:26 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2011 05:45 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
edit: for Tim. I have no use whatsoever for the Sierra 52Match bullet which is a boattail. The Sierra 53HP (for me) has always been a much better performer at 220Swift velocities.

If you would of read my post I stated the 52 gr. is good to 3800 fps and shots made less than 300 yds..
As for 220 swift vel. the 52 gr. A-max is a tuff one to beat. The bullet is a little longer than the 52 gr. Sierra and a little stronger construction. It also has a very good B.C. and does well farther down range..

Edit to add. I could never get the 53 gr. flat base bullets to shoot very well in my rifles, I tried 3 different brands with same results so I don't use them. But maybe they are the cats azz in another rifle...

[ January 31, 2011, 05:49 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2011 06:23 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, well for me, it's the exact opposite. I am not impressed with boattails, in general, although some (a few) perform adequately, for me. I will select a flat base bullet every time, if given a choice. I did read your post, that's why I responded! I've never used any AMax bullets. No particular reason, just haven't gotten around to it. I might try an AMax in 6mm, one of these days, but I am a firm believer in one gun, one load and everything is pretty much locked in, at the present time. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2011 06:48 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
but I am a firm believer in one gun, one load and everything is pretty much locked in, at the present time
I agree. Its the same here Leonard. For youre type of calling there is nothing wrong with useing a flat base bullet if the shots are under 300 yds and youre gun will shoot them..
For me whether I'm calling or hunting coyotes I don't always know how far the shots are going to be and I know at anything over 300 yds the B-T will perform better on most situations.
Best way to find out is shoot a few targets at 300 yds or more and see what each type of bullet does...
I know Paul M. has switched over to the 52 gr. A-Max but have'nt heard how its working for him....

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2011 07:39 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I have long maintained that 400 yards is a responsible and practical distance to be shooting at predators. Too many things can happen beyond that range while the bullet is in flight, and running down cripples is a huge waste of good hunting hours. Flat base bullets seem generally more accurate than boattails and the slightly less ballistic coefficient seems negligible as is the resulting drop, within that distance. And, flat base bullets kill better, in my view. I don't know why there is a problem with core separation, but, for me, it exists and although boattails perform better down range, I will take my chances with good old flat base bullets.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

coyote whacker
Member # 639

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2011 08:36 PM      Profile for coyote whacker           Edit/Delete Post 
the 52 grain A max is a very accurate bullet in a rem 22-250 great paper puncher not great coyote killers. At 3,500+ FPS and bone you get alot of bullet splash, not a big deal in the wide open "most" of the time but in cedar brush and tall grass runner coyotes unless placed well.

Reason I have switched to a .243 I can get accurate bullets that are built for coyotes and if I miss judge wind a little the end result is still the same dead coyotes, not ripped up dead but very dead and in decent shape a high majority of the time.

Just got a new savage .243 and so far 85 grain Inter bonds shoot darn well, yet to kill a coyote with it, but have no fear that they will perform making dead coyotes/

My other bullet in a rem model 700 .243 is 95 grain nosler bal tips again dead coyotes very little runners.

The problem with small thin skinned bullets and high rates of speed, they all fragment on bone and don't make near as pretty outcomes as my .243 rifles.

--------------------
This is done on my time and my dime. My views may differ from those of others!

Posts: 376 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2011 09:01 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Odd thing is my 243AI shooting 75gr V-max's has done less damage than the past 3 250 kills have. I'm just lucky sometimes I guess.

Gonna try the 250 again in the morning, we only wound up with 5" of snow and sleet but the winds were running pretty hard all day making for some nice drifts. Shut the whole town down here today, I'll open up bout 10ish.

TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2011 03:05 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Well my luck just keeps getting better...

Went out this morning for a couple of stands before work. It was 7 degrees wind blowing 25mph out of the NW. I walked into mt first cat stand and called a rather large cat and proceeded to shoot just over him. Cats don't stop with a bark...

Had time for one more stand and called straight downwind into an area that also holds a cat or 2 but I got a coyote sneaking through the woods for my trouble. I knew as soon as he topped the pond dam about a hundred yards between us he'd smell me and be gone. So I waited till he topped the dam and as his nose went up in the air, I pulled the trigger. He dropped dead in his tracks but someone did CPR on him and he did a ninja roll off the dam as I was putting the spent case in my pocket.

I tracked him for a half a mile with specs of blood in the snow, all the way to a large thicket, I said screw it and headed in to work.

I'm gonna drag out my machine gun if this keeps up but I missed the cat and maybe I pulled right or left with the coyote, it felt good but who knows.

I get to try again in the morning, benefits of the blizzard of 11.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2011 05:12 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
We otter put you on restriction, based on that honest report. Did you find that using enough gun was helpful?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2011 08:28 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Well the 243AI did get serious consideration but I don't think the damage would be nearly as salvageable as the 250.

Like I said I need to go back to the lowly 223 in my machine gun I guess.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2011 09:28 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Back to the 223? I give up! No hope for this guy...and I was starting to like Okis.

edit: Oh, tell me about Higgins and his speech. He's a friend and likable and all that, but (for me, at least) he's a rather boring speaker.

Good hunting. LB

[ February 02, 2011, 09:30 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted February 03, 2011 04:45 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
One of my greatest regrets is that I didn't make it to the hunt this year and hear him. I heard it was the best seminar they've ever had and everyone wants to hear him again.

I even missed meeting Andy, who by all accounts is a most likeable fellow.

I thought being your own boss meant I could take off whenever I wanted to but somewhere along the way, I became an employee every boss would love...

I'm gonna give the 250 another chance this morning and aim small.

[ February 03, 2011, 04:46 AM: Message edited by: TOM64 ]

Hutch
PAKMAN
Member # 3695

Icon 1 posted February 03, 2011 05:17 AM      Profile for Hutch   Email Hutch         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, you missed a good one (it was my first one)...Anyhow Rich's seminar was good. I'll need to watch it several more times just to absorb half of what was said....It lasted from 7:30 til about midnightish, give or take a sixpack or two...
Yeah Tom, you missed a good one....

Loenard, I like your little slice of the web, lots of gitter done folks, and Tim.

Hutch

Posts: 5 | From: S.E. Okla | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 03, 2011 06:27 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to The New HuntmastersBBS.com, hutch. Glad to have you on board.

Hmm? he must have improved his delivery, either that or he doesn't talk about anything I haven't heard before?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Hutch
PAKMAN
Member # 3695

Icon 1 posted February 03, 2011 07:36 AM      Profile for Hutch   Email Hutch         Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty sure it was all the beer.. [Wink]

Hutch

Posts: 5 | From: S.E. Okla | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged
Jeff Rheborg
Member # 2551

Icon 1 posted February 03, 2011 07:43 AM      Profile for Jeff Rheborg   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I shoot the 22-250AI with the Sierra 65gr Spitzer (3900fps). My results are similar to Leonard's... not alot of wiggle left in em'... with minimal pelt damage. Just my 2 cents.

Jeff.

--------------------
Jeff Rheborg

Posts: 12 | From: Pierre, SD | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters