The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » 6mm wildcats (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: 6mm wildcats
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2009 12:13 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, koko. Then let me clarify for your edification. A contest hunter, or for that matter, a night hunter has no interest in dicking around. Kill them and kill them well. The two concepts are mutually exclusive, you cannot have optimum performance while worrying about "no damage whatsoever". I know a subcaliber can drop them in their tracks. (occasionally) [Smile] And, I know the situation changes somewhat, with a high dollar cat. But, killing coyotes for body count, you will lose unless you take precautions....dig?

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
6mm284
Knows what it's all about
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2009 04:23 AM      Profile for 6mm284           Edit/Delete Post 
Like everyone else, I have shot lots of coyotes with just about every varmint caliber there is..the most effective at putting coyotes down on the spot is my 6/284 aimed centermass. Fur is not an issue , we are not allowed to harvest it most of the time and the rest of the time it is not good enough to be worth driving 120miles to sell it.22/243 seems to give similar results.
Posts: 198 | From: N46 06 E91 11 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2009 04:49 AM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, Jeremy, I love the bullet LB hates. 68 grain Bergers. Cenny B. shoots the same in his 6 Ackley. Between the two of us we have only killed a few hundred coyotes in the last few years with that bullet so it must be the difference in barometric pressure in Wyoming. [Big Grin] But it isn't the only bullet out there. Another all time favorite is the 70 Sierra HPBT match. I had really good luck with that bullet for many moons. The 75 grain V-max seems to so well also. For some reason the V-Max bullets in general seem to hold together a bit better than the ballistic tips for me.

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2009 06:36 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
It's no wonder that you like the 68 grain Bergers. It's close to a perfect ADC bullet. About the only place you can hit a coyote and NOT kill it with that bullet, is in the tail. [Wink]

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2009 07:01 AM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
Glad someone is on my side Tim! [Big Grin]

Now you get to be included when Leonard cusses that bullet.

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2009 10:16 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I went through the whole process, load up a few, go to the range on Saturday morning, (I was still working) test bullets and loads 'til the cows come home!

That 68 Berger shot the best, no question. I don't remember what else I tried, but I used a lot of what I had on hand for other rifles, old reliables like 75SierraHP, 85Spitzer, 80grHorn pistol bullet, 70grNosler, 87Hornspire pt. and 80grBerger, which was the only one that didn't shot well in this particular gun.

So, I didn't decide in an afternoon, it was a lengthy process...as it should be.

Confident, I took this new gun and drove 500 miles for a baptism, get a little blood on it.

I'll never understand completely what happened but after so many runners, (unrecoverable) I hung it up and let someone else shoot.

As the man said; life is too short to dance with fat chicks, thus we have so many bullet choices, I'm sure I will never try that particular one again, as it made a lasting impression on me! In one night, it quadrupled, (I think?) my lifetime total of 6mm runners. If something like that doesn't get your attention, you Sir, are messing with the fat chicks instead of concentrating on important stuff!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted February 13, 2009 04:38 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,

Are you sure that you didn't grab a box of FMJ bullets in the dark that night?

I've had a few runners with the 68 Bergers, But they left a blood trail so thick, that even Ray Charles could follow it. And I don't recall any of them making it more than just a few yards.

I've killed coyotes with everything from the 17 MIV to the 338 Win Mag, and those 68 Bergers give the most consistent "Red Mist" of any bullet that I've tried.

The only down side to that bullet that I have found, is that it is neither fur or photo friendly.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
tawnoper
Member # 497

Icon 1 posted February 13, 2009 08:16 AM      Profile for tawnoper   Email tawnoper         Edit/Delete Post 
I always tended to prefer a little heavier bullet for my 6mm Rem., something in the 80/85gr range. A bullet that always worked well for me was the 80gr Speer Hot-Cor.
Posts: 53 | From: socal | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 13, 2009 10:46 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim. Always dinking with the old guy, huh? Do they make a FMJ bullet in 6mm?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 13, 2009 11:43 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Do they make a FMJ bullet in 6mm
Yes they do Leonard. Do you need some? [Razz] [Razz]
I also have some in 22 cal. and a solid copper in 17 Cal.

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 13, 2009 01:20 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Crikey, T A . Of course they make 223 FMJ, I think I heard that the military has a need? Copper 17s, what moron thought of that? Whatever, I didn't grab FMJ bullets by mistake, T B . You will find out I'm right, but some peeps have to learn the hard way.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 13, 2009 01:47 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Copper 17s, what moron thought of that?
There is a guy out somewhere trying to corner the market for ammo to use in i believe Cal. Lead free zone..
I got a free sample from another bullet manufacture years ago to test in my 17 cal.s..
You forgot to mention they do make FMJ for the 6mm round nose or semi-pointed. [Razz]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 13, 2009 02:21 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
OK OK OK, OKAY! They make a "FMJ" in 6mm! Who gives a shit?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 13, 2009 03:36 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
You seem a little tense Leonard. Why don't you come up here next week and we can go kill some pretty coyotes. [Smile]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 13, 2009 03:47 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, headed to AZ. Hope it don't rain? Minneesota? I heard the coyotes are uncallable up there?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 13, 2009 03:58 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL Yes they are Leonard..
Actaully i was thinking S.D.. would be a better spot.. I have a hunt lined up with some great callers, for sometime after the 17th..
There are a few places there that you could stretch the legs on that 243 ackley of youre's [Big Grin]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 13, 2009 05:29 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not ready, Tim. But, I have three other Ackleys that are capable of bang/flop. In other words, they are not subcalibers... [Smile]

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 13, 2009 06:24 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
They will work Leonard, just remember you can only shoot the mangey ones.. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 14, 2009 09:27 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, I read, on another site that you were into videos or hip hop or rap and quiting acting alltogether?

-

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 14, 2009 10:50 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Leonard I saw that..LMAO
Numb-nuts was refering to my little vidios i did of my hunt this year. Just short clips and not a actual vidio.. I think my Cam does a better job of showing my hunts rather than still photo's..
I don't plan on makeing any vidio's, but if i did i have one of the better areas to do it in.. You been there so you know what i mean..
[Big Grin]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 14, 2009 11:42 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, well. Riddle me this? Why do Minneesotans call soft drinks; "POP"? What's up with that? Something to do with the subzero weather, or the mosquitoes? I realize you guys talk like Canadians, mostly.

Everybody knows, the proper term is "SODA". I can prove it. [Smile]

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 14, 2009 12:33 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Its short for "soda-pop" [Razz]
But most of us here still call a coyote a coyote, rather than a Yote..

I read somewhere that Cali. wants a lead ban.
Thats really going to screw up Numb-nuts shotgun tatics. [Big Grin]

[ February 14, 2009, 12:36 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 14, 2009 02:24 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/us_world/2008/11/13/2008-11-13_hes _having_another_baby_pregnant_man_tho.html

So when is Numb-nuts and Gargoyle's [Eek!] [Eek!] due''????

[ February 14, 2009, 03:27 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

KevinKKaller
Member # 559

Icon 1 posted February 14, 2009 03:09 PM      Profile for KevinKKaller   Author's Homepage   Email KevinKKaller         Edit/Delete Post 
My 2 Cents If you want a 6 mm hot rod and dont want to build. 240 Wetherby Factory ammo and mirrors the 6- 284 and the 6-06 I own 2 6-284s and 1 240 weth and love them all. 75 and 85 grn sierras shoot great in mine 10 or 12 twist
My .02
Good Luck Jeremy

[ February 14, 2009, 03:12 PM: Message edited by: KevinKKaller ]

--------------------
Maker of K-Kalls

Posts: 126 | From: Idaho | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted February 14, 2009 03:25 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,
What do you Californicator's call a soft drink? I was born in Ainsworth, nebraska and it has always been "pop". First time I heard it called a "soda" was when I took a trip down to Arkansas and heard one of those dark complected kids ask for a "soda". I just grinned. [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters