The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » Trigger help please

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Trigger help please
TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2007 06:30 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I give up. I've been trying to adjust my Remington trigger and can get a clean crisp constant break at 3.5 pounds but put it on safety and take it off it drops at 2.5 pounds. Tried adjusting it several ways and left it on 3.5 coming off safety and 4.5 pounds without engaging the safety for now.

Who's trigger do you recommend? If the gun shoots I'll spend a little more money and buy a good trigger.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2007 09:14 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
What Remington do you have? A Model 700 trigger is generally excellent, but you have to do it in the right sequence. Semi autos, or one of the new Mausers or a 710, I couldn't tell ya. People claim the Rifle Basix trigger is a good one for the money.

http://www.snipercountry.com/Articles/RemingtonTriggers.asp

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2007 10:48 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
What Leonard says. I have two rifle basix and one can-jar trigger, can't go wrong with either one. Also Stiller has come out with a tricked out rem. trigger that i'm am haveing installed on my pred 17, just as soon as the dam stock gets here...

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2007 05:12 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a 700 SPS, just the basic trigger. I have adjusted several of them in the past but I can't get this one to the same pull with using the safety or not using it. Can't figure this one out.
Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2007 06:13 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Newer 700 triggers are a sorry shadow of their former selfs. You can still get them to adjust decent, but it's more work, and they still don't seem to come down as light and crisp as they used to.

You'll have to take it completely apart, hone off burs around pin holes, eliminate sources of binding etc. and you should get more consistant pulls out of it.

Or, what I do anymore, just buy a new trigger. Actually been disapointed in the last two Jewel HVR's I've bought (spongy). Only have two Rifle Basix, but am happy with them both.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DONOVAN
PAKMAN
Member # 1093

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2007 10:12 AM      Profile for DONOVAN   Email DONOVAN         Edit/Delete Post 
tom64,
i had to relace the last sps trigger i got it wouldnt adjust either .i got a timmney and good to go.later donovan

[ January 16, 2007, 10:12 AM: Message edited by: DONOVAN ]

Posts: 1 | From: oklahoma | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2007 10:32 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I bought a 700LVSF/Light Varmint Stainless Fluted, about a year ago. I thought(?) I had it where I wanted it, twice? And, I'm no rookie at this, but I have had two occasions where it fired while removing the safety, so I have had to bump it up a notch, each time. I'm usually very careful with the adjustments, but this one has been a puzzler. I don't trust it, and normally lift the bolt, instead. I'm thinking of getting a Rifle Basix trigger, (good enough for Dave, it's good enough for me) I like about 1¼ lb on a hunting gun, and maybe this particular Rem. trig is not capable of that?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
tawnoper
Member # 497

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2007 01:02 PM      Profile for tawnoper   Email tawnoper         Edit/Delete Post 
I put a Rifle Basix on my 700 Classic. A nice trigger for the money.
Posts: 53 | From: socal | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
J_hun
Member # 872

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2007 07:01 PM      Profile for J_hun   Author's Homepage   Email J_hun         Edit/Delete Post 
TOM64 , If you go to yahoo and type in Rem. 700 trigger adjustment, it will give you step by step instructions on how you adjust the trigger. It has to be in the right sequence. Hope this helps.
Posts: 141 | From: Pierre,S.D. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
J_hun
Member # 872

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2007 07:06 PM      Profile for J_hun   Author's Homepage   Email J_hun         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry Leonard already pointed you in the right direction. I have the old style triggers and I have adjusted them the way they said and they come out okay. Don't know much about the new triggers on the 700's
Posts: 141 | From: Pierre,S.D. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
slydog
Member # 389

Icon 1 posted February 03, 2007 02:57 PM      Profile for slydog   Author's Homepage   Email slydog         Edit/Delete Post 
tom64,

I used a canjar single set (1 1/4# before and 10oz after setting) for many years and I can truly say they never let me down..

sly

--------------------
Smote the Yote with a slydog custom call

Posts: 179 | From: SW Idaho | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters