The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » 204 ruger (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 204 ruger
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 02, 2005 10:37 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Not to worry about hijacking. Staying on topic has never been a requirement on Huntmasters. [Smile]

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bomba
Knows what it's all about
Member # 71

Icon 1 posted June 03, 2005 12:21 PM      Profile for Bomba           Edit/Delete Post 
Bomba see name brought up by albert. Bomba not have 204 yet so cannot comment. Bomba do like what Injunjoe say though.

quote:
Stop it. Kill it. Not shoot it. Track it.

bob_ryan95
PAKMAN
Member # 668

Icon 10 posted June 09, 2005 02:50 PM      Profile for bob_ryan95   Email bob_ryan95         Edit/Delete Post 
i just bought the new .204 ruger and im very impessed with it i drilled a ground hog out at 400 yards with the factory hornady load and had pretty good wind there was no need for a second shot bullet placement was right where i aimed [Big Grin]
Posts: 3 | From: hillsboro ohio | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
bob_ryan95
PAKMAN
Member # 668

Icon 12 posted June 09, 2005 02:52 PM      Profile for bob_ryan95   Email bob_ryan95         Edit/Delete Post 
any info i can get on diffrent varmint loads and coyotes killed by this round and how far someone has made a clean kill would be appreciated ,,,thanks
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 09, 2005 04:53 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the New Huntmasters, Bob. Glad to have you on board.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Utahcaller
PAKMAN
Member # 671

Icon 1 posted June 10, 2005 11:55 AM      Profile for Utahcaller           Edit/Delete Post 
bob ryan95,I haven't shot at any coyotes yet with mine,but it does a number on rabbits,praire dogs and rockchucks.I have been using factory 32 grain vmax for them.I bought a box of Berger 40 grain boatails(match grade)to reload for coyotes.They have a pretty high B.C (.250)Hoping to get 3700-3800 fps(muzzle)That SHOULD do a good job on the coyotes this fall.Only time will tell though.GOOD HUNTING C.O
Posts: 4 | From: Utah | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
S.Frame
Member # 89

Icon 1 posted June 11, 2005 08:00 AM      Profile for S.Frame           Edit/Delete Post 
Albert, Bob_R, I suppose I am the person that Tim Behle was referring to back at the beginning of this thread. We hunted together as he gave me some mouth-calling lessons this past January when I was down in Arizona.

I took along a little CZ-527 in .204 to see what it would do. It was late in the fur season when I got it, so I didn’t get a chance to use it much, but I did manage to shoot 4 coyotes with it using the 32 grain V-max factory loads. 4 shots, 4 very dead coyotes. None managed more than a spin or two before expiring where they stood.

The farthest shot was facing me dead on at 170 yards. The bullet entered the center of the chest, penetrated into the chest cavity, and disintegrated as it hashed the lungs and heart. Pinprick entrance, no exit.

The other three were broadside shots from 30 to 75 yards, with the bullet placed just behind the shoulder. Two of these were textbook shots slipping in behind the scapula and leg bones. Teeny little pinprick entrance, pureed cardiovascular system, no exit. Perfect pelt, “gagless skinning” performance.

The third was a large male that came in on a dead run from behind me (on that desert hardpan it sounded like a damn horse galloping up) and I shot it as it angled to my right at about 40 yards. The bullet hit farther forward than I intended, shattering the leg bone, but still wreaked havoc in the chest cavity and that coyote died on the spot as well. The bullet did not exit either but did splash a 2” entrance as it hit the bone.

Four of anything is a pitifully small sample on which to draw conclusions, so this little example may not mean anything in the long term, but as they say, so far so good.

It reminds me very much of a hot .17 with a bit more ass.

[ June 11, 2005, 08:01 AM: Message edited by: S.Frame ]

Posts: 27 | From: AhiA | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Outdoor Tripp
Member # 619

Icon 1 posted June 11, 2005 08:47 AM      Profile for The Outdoor Tripp   Author's Homepage   Email The Outdoor Tripp         Edit/Delete Post 
Pardon my ignorance, but how old is the .204 Ruger caliber? Pretty new on the market?

--------------------
The Outdoor Tripp
www.theoutdoortripp.com
"All great truths begin as blasphemies."

Posts: 805 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Greenside
seems to know what he is talking about
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted June 11, 2005 09:54 AM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
Shaun, You should stop more often.
Posts: 719 | From: IA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
bob_ryan95
PAKMAN
Member # 668

Icon 12 posted June 16, 2005 09:34 AM      Profile for bob_ryan95   Email bob_ryan95         Edit/Delete Post 
thanks guys for the info u have gave me i wanted an idea of this guns capabilities and so far havent been dissapointed

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters