The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » you just won a new gun..... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: you just won a new gun.....
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2004 09:02 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's say that you just won a new gun, of your choice; any configuration, any caliber.

Think about it. What tops your wish list. Some Ultra Mag? A sub caliber fur gun? Bench gun? Black gun? Wildcat caliber? Big fifty?

Just for fun, what's next; price no object?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jack Roberts
Knows what it's all about
Member # 13

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2004 09:40 PM      Profile for Jack Roberts   Email Jack Roberts         Edit/Delete Post 
Nesika 221.

Jack

Posts: 499 | From: Elko NV formerly MD | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Blak coyote
Member # 415

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2004 10:06 PM      Profile for Blak coyote   Email Blak coyote         Edit/Delete Post 
A 22 CHeetah.

--------------------
Bad dog no biscuit

Posts: 22 | From: N.E.WI. | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted November 10, 2004 05:45 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Tough question. I don't even think I can answer it. Always wanted to build a rifle on a BAT action, so something on a BAT, I reckon. Not sure what though! Probably not a bench type gun, I have all of those I need or want already. Unless it was a really big firebreather. Say something like a .338-416IMP on that big 10x2 action. In an unlimited HG stock. 36" no taper barrel. NF scope. Come in at about 70 pounds. That would be cool.

Can tell you what my current project is. Nothing too exotic, certainly not likely to be anyone's ultimate rifle choice, but a neat project still. I'm having a .17 Predator built (blown out necked down .223). Using a stainless Model Seven action and bottom metal I have on hand, Lilja #4 9 twist, McMillan Rem. Classic pattern stock. Having Greg Tannel put it all together. Intend for it to be my "main squeeze" calling rifle after it's done.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
brent Saxton
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted November 10, 2004 04:02 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Another black gun would be cool! I nice camo job to go with it!!

Brent

IP: Logged
Z
Member # 303

Icon 1 posted November 10, 2004 05:00 PM      Profile for Z   Author's Homepage   Email Z         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey DAA,
How much difference is there between that and a 17 remington?

Posts: 51 | From: Bluffdale, UT | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 10, 2004 05:17 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Pick just one? I don't own all that many, nor do I want that many. But, still. How about a Model 70 African chambered in 416RemMag? How about a Model 700 Titanium, calling rifle, chambered in a useful predator caliber. I'm still thinking about one of those CZ's chambered in 19/223. How about a neat 338 Lapua? Always wanted a 40X, maybe in 6BR?

Hard decision. Don't actually NEED anything, but that could change.....right?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted November 10, 2004 06:57 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
I keep thinking about a M70 in 7mm WSM with a Lilja 28" 4 groove barrel, and anti-torque brake. A McMillan A-5 stock and a Nightforce R-2 scope.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted November 10, 2004 07:39 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Z, Dan Clements designed the Predator. His idea was to get more performance than the .17 Rem., using good and readily available .223 brass, and to have it feed slick as snot from a 700. It has about 3.8 gr. more water capacity, to the bottom of the neck, over the .17 Rem. Translates into significantly more performance. Especially with the 30 gr. bullets. It will drive them a bit faster than the .17 Rem. drives 25's. Equates to significantly more energy downrange. Launching the 30's at 4100, it still has 400 ft/lb's at 500 yds. Trajectory is nice and flat, bullet doesn't rise or fall more than 2" from line of sight clear out to over 320 yds. Only hitting about 6" low at 400 with that same zero. Less wind drift than a hot loaded .22-250. No recoil. Very minimal pelt damage.

Everybody has their own ideas about these things, and that's a good thing. But to my mind, this is as close to ideal for called coyotes in my typical calling circumstances as is currently possible.

Had a hard time making up my mind between the Predator or one of my friend Blaine's .17 wildcats based on shortened PPC and BR cases. Performance is similar with all of them - they are all designed to drive these heavier high BC .17 bullets at over 4000 fps. But the Predator was designed specifically to feed slick through a Rem. action, and I just happened to have this Model Seven on hand, so the Predator is what I finally decided on.

I'm having it built to closely match the over all weight, length, balance and handling of my .17 Mach IV (which is my current "main squeeze" for calling).

Already have the next project (18 - 24 months out) planned too. It's also going to match the two .17's for configuration, but I'm going to do something just EXTREMELY flat shooting. Have not made up my mind for sure what yet, but it will be something well beyond the pale. A .22-284, or a .20-250. Something like that. It will be for targets of opportunity (over the hood), night calling and occasional daylight stand special use. Barrel will probably only last 500 rounds, but for this kind of use who cares.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted November 10, 2004 07:44 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Barrel will probably only last 500 rounds, but for this kind of use who cares.
DAA,

Don't tell my wife, but I like the way you think! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 10, 2004 08:21 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's see, Miss Joyce. How much does that figure, per shot, out the door? And, you wearing last year's garments?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

brad h
Member # 57

Icon 1 posted November 10, 2004 08:22 PM      Profile for brad h   Email brad h         Edit/Delete Post 
My only purpose for a gun would be for predators, so I would say a Weatherby 220 Swift.

Brad

Posts: 346 | From: Glendive MT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted November 10, 2004 08:22 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Ive always dreamed of a Dakota Model 10, with that chocolate and carmel streaked, slim stock they have, chambered in 243 sitting in my safe.
Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jack Roberts
Member # 13

Icon 1 posted November 10, 2004 10:07 PM      Profile for Jack Roberts   Email Jack Roberts         Edit/Delete Post 
DAA

"Barrel will probably only last 500 rounds, but for this kind of use who cares."

In your dreams!!

But for calling coyotes even 300 is quite acceptable.

Jack

Posts: 499 | From: Elko NV formerly MD | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted November 11, 2004 05:26 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, I won't tell yours if you don't tell mine! [Smile]

- DAA

--------------------

Greenside
seems to know what he is talking about
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted November 11, 2004 05:41 AM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
DAA,

What kind of velocity increase would you expect to get from a 20-250 over a 22-250 if both were shooting 40 gr. bullets. Any? Is the flat shooting aspect just a result of the higher BC of the .20? When you say 300-500 round barrel life are you referring to the 284 or is that all you could expect out of a 20-250? Thanks

Dennis

Posts: 719 | From: IA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Steve Craig
Lacks Opposable Thumbs/what's up with that?
Member # 12

Icon 1 posted November 11, 2004 05:43 AM      Profile for Steve Craig           Edit/Delete Post 
Always wanted a 22 cal. air rifle that would shoot a 16gr. pellet at 800 to 1000 fps. It would have a walnut hand rubbed stock, a suppresser for quiet shooting, It would be at least a 10 shot repeater, be topped with a good quality 6x18 scope,would weigh in under 9 lbs., air chamber would hold 3000 psi, could be pumped up with a hand pump for field use, and must be English made of course.

OOOPS! I already got my dream rifle! Model # 410S
Made by Air Arms out of England. Have taken dozens of rabbits with it and called in and shot a grey fox so far. Will be filming more using the weapon. Plan on a coyote or two and a bobcat too. Surprizing how many guys are taking coyotes with these weapons.
Steve

--------------------
Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction. - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 442 | From: Cottonwood,Az, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted November 11, 2004 07:11 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Dennis, the guys I know of that have actually been using the .20-250 are getting 4500 fps with the 40 gr. bullets. BC on the 40 gr. Vmax is .275. Gives a point blank range on a 4" target of 350 yards! Still wouldn't have to hold off fur at 400.

As far as barrel life goes... I actually expect to get at least 500 rounds out of either chambering. But only time will tell. I have one friend who has put more than 500 on his .22-284 and it is still going strong. The two guys I know of running .20-250's are both at over 500 rounds and still doing fine too. But, I'm not "planning" on more than 500, just on GP. Right now, I'm leaning towards the .20-250 over the .22-284. For several reasons. But I may change my mind and go with something entirely different, when the time comes.

- DAA

--------------------

Jay Nistetter
Legalize Weed, Free the Dixie Chicks
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted November 11, 2004 08:40 AM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
Armalite 243 (with NO supressor) Damn things will make you go deaf.

--------------------
Understanding the coyote is not as important as knowing where they are.
I usually let the fur prime up before I leave 'em lay.

Posts: 1006 | From: Arizona | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
WhiteMtnCur
Member # 5

Icon 1 posted November 11, 2004 09:34 AM      Profile for WhiteMtnCur   Author's Homepage   Email WhiteMtnCur         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been looking into the exact same thing as Dave, a .20-250 for a calling rifle.

Build it with one of the new Predator actions, a 26" Shilen, flute it, and make it up so it's a nice light rifle. Since it's free, it's an even better excuse for one of these barrel life challenged coyote killers.

Posts: 97 | From: Nevada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Z
Member # 303

Icon 1 posted November 11, 2004 09:36 AM      Profile for Z   Author's Homepage   Email Z         Edit/Delete Post 
DAA,
What does a project like that cost? I just bought one of those 700ADL blowouts at Wally World and have a 223 barreled action to work with.

Posts: 51 | From: Bluffdale, UT | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted November 11, 2004 11:08 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
About the cheapest you could get it done for would be about $500 - $600. That would include a new barrel, fit and chambered, plus some dies. You could shave that down some by using a lesser quality barrel, and maybe finding a 'smith that charges less (but then you'd need to provide him reamers).

- DAA

--------------------

varmit hunter
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted November 11, 2004 03:40 PM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Nesika 22-250. Maybe the S&W 500 in a 4" barrel.

[ November 11, 2004, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: varmit hunter ]

--------------------
Make them pay for the wind.

Posts: 932 | From: Orange,TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curt2u
Member # 74

Icon 1 posted November 14, 2004 08:02 AM      Profile for Curt2u   Email Curt2u         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a cheap date. My pick would be a Savage model 11FC in 22-250.
Posts: 236 | From: NW | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 14, 2004 01:21 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Could a fooled me. I thought: uh oh, Curt is going to say he needs another black gun. [Smile]

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters