The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » name your best predator scope? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: name your best predator scope?
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 2 posted September 14, 2015 10:39 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a thought the other day. There are many different ways to go, in mounting glass on a rifle intended primarily for hunting coyotes.

So, what I think would be interesting is a survey, tell us what you use and tell us what you would buy if you suspect what you are using is not the ultimate in coyote medicine?

I have a few different types of coyote rifles and maybe you do too. Just tell us what you got and how absolutely satisfied you are with your choice.

Inquiring minds want to know?

To start it off; my favorite daytime calling rifle is a Remington 700 chambered 22-243Middlested and it has a U.S. Optics SN3 1.8X10 scope on it. I have no plans to change anything, anytime soon. See how easy that was?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted September 14, 2015 12:51 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
My .22-250 AI has a Leupold VX3 4.5x14-40mm with the CDS turret. I really love this scope alot. And I have never been a die hard Leupold guy at all.

My 17 Tactical has a Swarovski 2x10-42mm and this glass is amazing especially in low light conditions, it seems to be the perfect scope for this setup.

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 14, 2015 01:33 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I have a 4.5X14X50 Leupold mounted on my 25'06Ackley, used exclusively for long range "targets" at night; in open country. It's very satisfactory.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted September 14, 2015 04:44 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
Leupold VX3 3.5x10-40mm is my favorite scope. My most expensive is a Swaro in about the same power.

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 14, 2015 04:57 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that's a good one, Dan. I have had one on my Model 700 300WM since I bought it, must have been over 40 years ago? For me, it's a perfect big game scope. I had another one that I sold for a hundred bucks, I wish I hadn't.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted September 15, 2015 03:45 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Similar specs to UTcaller, I try to 'match the hatch' and use an appropriate scope to complement the capability of the cartridge...

.17Predator now has a Kahles 3-9x42 w 4A reticle, and its staying there. For no nonsense point & shoot to 325yds, that combo suit each other nicely. Great glass & large exit pupil make for a very good image in almost any light condition...

.22-243AI has a Premier 'Hunter' 3-15x50 w/ Gen 2 Mildot FFP reticle. Offers the same point & shoot ability out to 325 using the x-hairs, with the added bonus of being able to use the FFP reticle at any power for holding wind/lead/elevation.
Has covered turrets, just unscrew the cap & dial dope for a more controlled engagement at distance.
Glass is outstanding! Super 5x zoom range, no tunneling @ 3x, great field of view, bright and contrasty. Really a pleasure to shoot thru!

6x45AI has a Premier 'Lite Tac' 3-15x50. Same awesome sauce as the 'Hunter' version, but has exposed turrets & illuminated reticle. This will be my night hunting rifle this winter, so having the center ' + ' of the Gen 2 reticle lite up is nice to have when running only a small hand torch after dark. The exposed turrets make it super for dialing up varmints & plinking at distance.

FYI, Premier is no longer. Armament Technology acquired Premier & is now producing scopes under the Tangent Theta brand. After improving upon an already excellent product, the new TT scopes are said to be the cream of the crop.
Happily, AT agreed to honor Premier's lifetime warranty, so I'm not in any rush to ditch my Premiers. Will prolly hafta cave for a TT in the future, just to scratch the 'scope whore' itch, but I'm in a happy place with what I got now...

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted September 15, 2015 04:42 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't bought a new scope in years. Ten years, maybe longer? Not even up to speed on what's what with the latest and greatest. Most of my calling rigs have Leupold 4-14x40's on them, which are a decent compromise of cost, size, weight and optics, but not really the "best", or even "great" in any particular category. But, I've no plans to ever change out any of them.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted September 15, 2015 05:28 AM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty much just like Dave, with the exception of the NXS 5.5-22 that I put on my 22-250AI. Happy with what I have.
Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 15, 2015 05:35 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Prolly wise, on your part, Dave. Otherwise, you might succumb and be another Theta bitch. Just kidding, but optics, in general, can eat you alive, if you lose your sense of perspective.

My absolutely best scope is a Kahles 3X12X56. I won't ever need finer optics than that beast, no matter what they come out with.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted September 15, 2015 05:42 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Optics can get insane.

Rifle scopes are nothing. A super expensive USO or Theta, would be a cheap-ass camera lens.

The camera lenses I wish I had, but never will, start at about $12K. My dream lens, is about $35K.

The lens I actually have, was $1069, shipped! It's lower than the lowest Bushnell or Tasco or BSA or whatever, comparatively speaking.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted September 15, 2015 05:59 AM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
I've also got 4X14-40 Leupolds on everything currently, but I do have a new 3x15x42 Zeiss sitting on the shelf waiting to be mounted, and just looking through it, it does look nice, just not exactly sure what it'll end up sitting on top of.

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 15, 2015 07:12 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with camera lenses is the f-stop. A little different than needed light transmission in a riflescope. When you have extreme magnification you have to contend with slow shutter speed; not a factor in riflescopes.

A dream lens for 35 thousand dollars? See, this is what I'm talking about! Somebody needs to talk you down, Dave!

Oh, what the hell. Let's everybody chip in and scratch that itch for our buddy Dave. He said he can't afford a "can" right now?

Good hunting. El Bee

Let's start a list of what we can buy for $35,000?

What, a gold Rolex, maybe?
What else comes to mind?
A fairly nice bass boat?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Prune Picker
AR Forum Assistant Moderator-handgun GURU and dispenser of sage advice
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted September 15, 2015 07:42 AM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
1.5x5 on 2 rifles , 1.75x6 on 2 rifles , 2.5x8 on another (all Leupolds) & a 3x9 Zeiss on yet another . Nothing new tho.

--------------------
mike

Posts: 1265 | From: "Oklahomie" | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 15, 2015 09:28 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Agree on the 2.5X8 Leupold VariX III. I have two, one on my little M600 6mmRem, and the other on my 700, what the hell is it? LVSF? something like that? in 223Ackley. I think they are perfectly suited for those particular rifles.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Prune Picker
AR Forum Assistant Moderator-handgun GURU and dispenser of sage advice
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted September 15, 2015 09:56 AM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
The 2.5x8 Leupolds "balance's" ( is that a real word or another okieism?) well on a sporter weight rifle. Affordable, decent glass & reliable, if you shoot first instead of turning channels errrr dials. If I was starting from scratch, a 1.5x5 or 2.5x8 Leupold would be an automatic selection ( for me ) . I know their glass quality can be beat, but probably not for the same price.

--------------------
mike

Posts: 1265 | From: "Oklahomie" | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Fur_n_Dirt
So. Ariz. Zone Tech. Expert
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted September 15, 2015 10:54 AM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
I did alot of research and tried to balance between performance and what will get me divorced..

I been buying the Nightforce SHV series.. really nice scopes for the $$..

I have up to 10X on the 22-250 ackley..

and up to 14x on my long range hunter..

love the reticles and glass quality..

--------------------
--- It's all simple if you know what you are doing ---

Posts: 437 | From: Tucson | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted September 15, 2015 12:01 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
1.5X6 on every rifle I run, all the same glass. Any rifle I pick up, the sight picture looks the same, suits me to a T. Like Dave, scopes have been off my radar so long, all the stuff you guys mention on the board are foreign to my ear, never heard of them.
Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moe
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted September 15, 2015 12:31 PM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
I have Leupolds on every rifle I have. My favorite calling rifle is a Sako Forester 22-250 with a Leupold VX3 4.5-12X40.

Second is a Sako Vixen 223 AI with a VX3 3.5-10X40

Third is a Rem 700 Classic 220 Swift with a Leupold VX2 4-12X40 with a long range duplex cross hair.

I have a Rem 700 heavy barrel 22-250 better suited for shooting squirrels. It weighs in at 12 lbs and I've done some extensive work on it. It sports a Leupold VXIII 6.5-20X40 with a Varmint reticle. It's a tack driver and a safe queen.

My Rem 700 deluxe 7mm Rem still has the Leupold VXII 3-9X40 I put on it back in 1974. That scope was on a Sako Forester before then. I took this scope to the Leupold factory in Beaverton and they replaced a scratched lens and added some range of adjustment to it at no charge. This rifle has killed Sitka blacktail, Eastern Whitetail, caribou and Mountain Goats. My go to big game rifle.

I have a Remington bolt action 22 that I used for hunting blue grouse in Alaska. It sports a Leupold fixed 4 power 1" tube on it and has killed hundreds of grouse.

If I ever build another rifle it will be a 257 Roberts Ackley Improved and I will put a Leupold 4.5-14X40 on it.

Maybe I'm in a rut but I've hunted with guys whose scopes failed while we were out hunting. Mostly fogging up. I've never had that kind of problem.

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted September 15, 2015 02:57 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I also have a Leupold VX3 3.5x10-40 on top of my 17 Ackley Hornet and I really like that one too.

Good Hunting Chad

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 16, 2015 05:41 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting everybody is basically on the same page....except for the McNeal contingent. If I remember correctly, that person favors Simmons Whitetails? Can't knock what works, (right?) while saving a pile of money at the same time. But I heard he looked through a top quality scope one time not long ago and admitted it was awesome; or something like that? Or, maybe he said, "unbelievable"?

You know, I was vacationing in Europe, must have been twenty years ago and bought a scope at the PX, in Fulda. It's a "Liesenfeld". (not sure of the spelling?) I have never seen another one. It's 4X12X56 and I don't think I paid more than three hundred dollars for it? But, in my opinion, it's right up there with optics costing three or four times as much as I paid. If you ever stumble across one, you might give it due consideration.

But, what got me started on this ramble; I was pondering a scope nobody has mentioned, thus far? I have a Zeiss Conquest in 4.5X14X44 that is a really great scope. Never used it for predators, (my son has) but it kicks ass on ground squirrels and prairie dogs. It has a one inch tube and if I loaned it to Victor, he wouldn't give it back. For the money, the Conquest line is hard to beat.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted September 16, 2015 06:14 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got that same Conquest on my 6-284, which has only been used for predators.

It's fine. But pretty big/bulky and heavy, compared to a Leupold 4.5-14x40. The Nesika I have it on is a bit larger than a 700 SA, fits it okay. But I don't think I'd like it on a trim sporter like my main squeeze, Model Seven, .17P. The smaller, lighter Leupold is a better fit, better balanced, my opinion.

All that to say, no complaints with the Conquest, but I don't see me buying another one, at least not the 4-14, to put on a calling rifle.

- DAA

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted September 16, 2015 06:59 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Had a couple of Ziess scopes. The Conquest 3x9-40 and the 4.5x14-44. Didn't like either one. Glass was great but didn't like the size of the duplex crosshairs. Sold them both and bought my 3x10-42mm Swarovski and my 3.5x10-40 Leupold VX3.

Good Hunting Chad

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 16, 2015 07:40 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
All that to say, no complaints with the Conquest, but I don't see me buying another one, at least not the 4-14, to put on a calling rifle. DAA
So, Dave is of same opinion as I, since I have not used that Conquest on a calling rifle. But, no doubt, it has good qualities.

Same with Chad; he evaluates his Conquest as not particularly suitable in a predator hunting application.

Still, it's a damned good scope.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted September 16, 2015 08:50 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
All of my hunting so far has been in Arizona where you seldom shoot over 150 yards. There are a few spots where you are in very open country, but I'm usually hunting in sage brush. Therefore, I prefer low magnification. Probably my favorite scope for predators is a 1.5x5 leupold. I've lost several coyotes because I left the power zoomed up on 4.5x14 that I use to use. It sucks when you call in a real close trotter and can't find it.

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1924 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 16, 2015 09:07 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
True yes.
But there is another point of view, as expressed by none other than AR Shaw. He says leave it at 10X and learn to deal with it. I agree but not quite that severe. I like leaving my scope at around 6X and you do learn to handle it. Or, I guess you could say, some people do.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters