The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » name your best predator scope? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: name your best predator scope?
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 19, 2015 06:45 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
What's this about BB's? Okay, to each his own, and all that.

I switched from Federal 3" BB's to Winchester XX #4Buck. I still have almost a full box of those BB's, not much chance of them getting used up?

The first time I hosed a coyote with #4Buck, the sun was just coming up and you should have seen his guts spread all over a creasote bush behind him and directly in line with the rising sun. Now, that's impressive performance....and I still have a box of Dead Coyote at three times the price that doesn't kill them any better?

I'll say this in defense of Chad. Nevada is wide open country and it just begs looking through binoculars. Still, I carry enough crap, as it is.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted September 19, 2015 07:17 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a speed bead on a super black eagle. I recently put the speed bead on and haven't used it yet. I have patterned it and adjusted the sight. What is your scatter gun setup lone howl?

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1924 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted September 19, 2015 08:20 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, I went to the Hornady 3" BB's last year.With absolutely no complaints. Had been shooting the Dead Coyote "T"shot. But like you mentioned, 5 bucks a shot is ridiculous. So I bought a bunch of the Hornady in boxes of 10 for around 10 bucks a box. They have those control wads that keep your pattern from really opening up. So I just use a Modified choke and it flat what's coyotes out to say 30-35 yards which is about 90% of my shotgun shots anyway much further and I like the rifle any way.

I do have a few boxes of Remington 4 buck, but they have pretty much just been collecting dust.

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aznative
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted September 19, 2015 09:01 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry about the double post working from a phone sucks.

UT caller I'll have to try those hornandy loads. I'm paying double for the federal coyote heavyshot right now. Thanks

[ September 19, 2015, 09:03 AM: Message edited by: Aznative ]

--------------------

TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted September 19, 2015 08:00 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Okie coyotes petitioned the WD saying it was unfair to use buckshot.

Illegal to use shot larger than BB on anything but waterfowl, hogs or humans here.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Grizz
Member # 4626

Icon 1 posted September 19, 2015 09:25 PM      Profile for Grizz           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a couple of the old Zeiss straight 10 X 36 on my older Sako 22-250 and 220 Swift. A Schmidt and Bender long range 4-16 X 50 on a custom built on a Sako AII action. Several Leupold's on other guns. I mounted a Leupold VX 6 with the fire dot on an AR I'm using for daylights. Rick

--------------------
I don't hunt with the pack.

Posts: 95 | From: So Cal | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged
Moe
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted September 20, 2015 06:47 AM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
When I first started calling I called almost exclusively at night and the 3-9 power scope on my Sako Forester 243 was always set at 9 power.

Now days I pretty much exclusively hunt daytime and I set my scopes at 5X and don't mess with them. Well, except for one time when I had a coyote come running in across a huge dry lake in eastern Oregon. He stopped way out at 400+ yards and stood for a while. No matter what I tried he wouldn't come any closer. Then he started moving towards my downwind side and I figured I may as well try the shot. So I cranked the scope up to 12 power and used the long range increments and shot. The coyote disappeared but I kept calling and about 5 minutes later I got one in right in front of me at about 30 yards. He was sneaking in on the caller and never saw me.

I picked up both coyotes. A long shot for me is a rarity but I sure wished I had a witness that day. The long shot was made with my Kimber 84M Classic 22-250 with a 22" barrel.

As far as Dead Coyote shells go I quit buying them after having a frustrating day of losing a few coyotes in the thick sagebrush in eastern Oregon. Up to that time I used #4 buckshot and went back to it.

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 20, 2015 09:35 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Quit buying them, and also hoarding them due to scarcity. And then going back to #4Buck, wondering what the big deal was? And, how can they really justify charging that much? I saw a box for $54 last time I was in Bass ProShops. Are we being played for suckers?

I will say this much. #4Buck in a 2 3/4" shell does not quite have the steam. My one shot kills is zero. Literally, every single animal required a second shot, some three more. But, the price is right, I guess? lol Maybe I'm just yanking the trigger too far out?

I will save those shells for walk outs at night on cripples. See, that's what happens when you go to a gun show and are bitten by the hoarding bug. lol

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Prune Picker
AR Forum Assistant Moderator-handgun GURU and dispenser of sage advice
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted September 20, 2015 10:19 AM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
If memory serves proper, a variable power rifle scope with 3x magnifier ( not 3 power ) loses appx 10 + ft field of view every time the user cranks up the power selector ring to the next highest power. Earlier I cited a common Leupold as one of my favorite scopes, off the top of my head the ~ 70 ft. FOV is reduced to ~35 ft. FOV at 5 power. I imagine any 5x or 6x magnifier should be considerably different , maybe for the better. My only recent hands on experience with a 6x magnifiers scope is Thomas's Leupold VX6 1x6 variable which has ~120+ ft. FOV @ 1x . I don't remember the appx numbers @ 6x tho, & I guarantee you it is a top quality scope.

--------------------
mike

Posts: 1265 | From: "Oklahomie" | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Moe
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted September 21, 2015 06:15 AM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
When the states start banning lead what are we going to do? I have a few boxes of 3 1/2" Dead Coyote shells around and I carry them to California just in case but I won't be buying any more. They certainly aren't what they're cracked up to be.

I ordered a few boxes of the Winchester 3 1/2" #4 buckshot loads from the Sportsman's Guide and they do kill coyotes quite dead but they kick like you can't believe. When I tore the rotator cuff on my right shoulder a few years ago I had to stop shooting them. 54 pellets of #4 buck in the air. I'll leave them to you young guys.

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 21, 2015 07:05 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm using the 3" shell and if memory serves, it holds 41 #4Buck?

There again, the 3 1/2" #4Buck doesn't seem to offer any more lethality over the 3"? I'm all for hammering them deader than dead, but I don't even think it's overkill? I don't see the difference?

Same thing with Dead Coyote, difference of opinion. I think the 3 1/2" Dead Coyote kicks like hell! Much more than the 3"#4Buck and considerably more than the 3 1/2" #4Buck. But, my 835 is backbored and they say it tames recoil a bit? I don't know, it's the only shottie [Wink] I own with a 3 1/2" chamber.

Shotgunning coyotes seems more complicated than it should?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted September 21, 2015 07:41 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Shotguns...I aint buying any more DC and I cant use lead in CA, so yes..Im shooting 3" steel. It aint great as everyone knows and wants to remind me, but that is the alternative. It works fine for me if I keep the range realistic. No doubt you will have more cripples, but that is just the reality of it all. California has forced my hand so that is what I use now.
Mark
Edit: On bobcats and fox, at the ranges I shoot them in the cover I call them in, steel shreds em just fine.

[ September 21, 2015, 07:50 AM: Message edited by: Lone Howl ]

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 21, 2015 10:43 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
CONTROL FREAKS STRIKE AGAIN !

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted September 21, 2015 12:36 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I've long suspected that the control freaks couldn't care less about `lead`.
Lead is merely the means to an end.
When they went after the duck hunter's lead shot it wasn't to protect the ducks. It was to make duck hunting more trouble than it's worth.
And if you stop hunting ducks you won't be passing on the tradition to your sons & grandsons.
Then they took what they learned and waved the lead banner all over Calif. in the name of eagles, condors, prairie dogs and possibly snail darters.
These bastards are relentless and will not stop until they micro-manage every aspect of your life.
Somebody prove me wrong.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 22, 2015 01:08 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
He who shall not be named took the time to write and dispute what koko says above. He says there is a valid reason for restricting lead projectiles, not to inconvenience hunters.

How could you be so misguided, Mr Roop?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted September 22, 2015 07:48 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
So nice of him to take the time to check in and `dispute` me wrong.
Now, somebody `prove` me wrong.
I say again; The lead issue is just another tool of the control freak anti's who's ultimate goal is to ban hunting.
Much like the wolf reintroduction here that nobody wanted but was shoved down our throats. Just another tool to restrict and ultimately end hunting.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 22, 2015 09:22 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You got my vote

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Aznative
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted September 25, 2015 06:24 PM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
You now have two votes. Run koko run

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters