The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » name your best predator scope? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: name your best predator scope?
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted September 16, 2015 10:51 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Very true Leonard I leave all my scopes on 8 power. But occasionally when I shoot out to 400 yards that 14 power is nice.
Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brent Parker
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4354

Icon 1 posted September 16, 2015 01:24 PM      Profile for Brent Parker   Email Brent Parker         Edit/Delete Post 
I ran a Schmidt and Bender PMII 3-20 on a 6XC the last couple of denning season, great scope great glass, good turrets and reticle. Switching to a Leupold Mark 6 3-18 and its nice but not in the same class as the Bender. Anymore I prefer FFP in a scope and think its a personal preference. Any additional scopes I buy will be a FFP. Either exposed locking turrets or capped.

My .223 AI has a Z3 Swaro 4-12 and is a good scope.

12.5 .223 SBR has a 3-10-40 Vari x III.

Posts: 172 | From: 2 miles east of Vic | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Prune Picker
AR Forum Assistant Moderator-handgun GURU and dispenser of sage advice
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted September 16, 2015 01:52 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
everyone's eyes are different, that much I do know. I have mounted scopes for people I'd never seen before or after I mounted their scope purchase, when it came time to tighten the screws some frowned and said , do it your way or adjust it for your eyes. I thought & still think it's odd not to want optimum eye relief & focus for whomever was going to use the rifle/ scope combo. Point being, most people select a scope based on recommendations from a friend or salesman & now days a cool website. In the past 5 or so years I'll bet that most second time scope buyers are willing to pay more for a scope due to the high ammo & component prices & lack of availability. Back to our favorites, I still believe Kahles has the clearest glass I've ever looked thru, biased errr based on the now old straight 2.5x 30 mm , mounted on low rings it had the now required ( for me ) huge field of view I want. The Leupold 1.5x5 offers appx 70 ft. F.O.V @ 1.5x , point & shoot that's my #1 requirement for a hunt anything scope. I wish LB would send his new 1.1x8 US Optics to me so I could give it a test drive around the cluttered hunting grounds of SE Okla I frequent 😀

--------------------
mike

Posts: 1265 | From: "Oklahomie" | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted September 16, 2015 02:41 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing fancy.
Bushnel Banner Turkey scope on a .223 Thompson Contender set up as a carbine.
1.5 / 4 power.
Most places I hunt ........... 100 yards is a long shot.

FWIW; I leave it on low power.
There's usually time to crank it up for a long shot.
Less so to crank it down for a close runner in the brush.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Prune Picker
AR Forum Assistant Moderator-handgun GURU and dispenser of sage advice
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted September 16, 2015 03:14 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Koko, toting a light weight combo probably encourages a guy to see what's on the other side of the next mountain, it does for me, NO argument on your selection! do you carry spare ammo on a armband or? Something else about keeping my scope on low power, it helps me steady my aim especially if I'm moving .

--------------------
mike

Posts: 1265 | From: "Oklahomie" | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted September 16, 2015 08:44 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a shell holder on the stock. Holds a season's supply of ammo for me.
I normally carry a shotgun and rarely bring the rifle, but it's not too much trouble to bring along when I think I may need it.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted September 16, 2015 08:50 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
My Kimber Montana's in 204, 223 AI and 22-250AI all wear 3.5-10x40 Leupolds two have custom CDS dials and the 223AI wears an M1 elevation dial. The dials are for playing and they are usually left on 3.5 power.

3 of my AR's are light weights, one wears a vx6 Leupold 1-6, one wears a Leupold 1.5-5 and the third wears a 3x ACOG. the ACOG is interesting as I've shot plates out to 400 yards but it's pretty quick up close.

2 scopes to do it all, a 1.5-5 and a 3.5-10 would suit me fine. Narrow it down to one for everything and it'll be the 3.5-10.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted September 17, 2015 04:35 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd speculate to say that if you VX3 guys tried a scope with a larger zoom range, you'd prolly like it more than various 3x zoom ratio offerings from Leupy...

1.5-5x, 2.5-8x, 3.5-10x, 4.5-14x... they are all 3x zoom scopes. For comparison, a scope with a 6x zoom ratio like the Bushnell 6500 adjusts from 2.5x all the way up to 16x. The difference from 1.5-2.5x is negligible, and the huge exit pupil from a larger objective on the 6500 will make for a much brighter image, comparatively. On the top end, you're getting more max. magnification, too...
I've owned all of the above Leupy scopes, and that Bushy does everything those four scopes do, in one optic. Courtesy of the massive 6x zoom ratio...

As a guy who travels all over the place to hunt, having a versatile optic might be more a priority? I've whored a shitpot load of scopes over the years, and have slowly gravitated toward a preference for larger (5x) zoom ratio scopes. Not pissin' on Leupy's, as plenty of scopes use a 3x zoom ratio. Heck some scopes are even 'mis-labeled' like Chad's 3-10x Swaro to make them seem more than they are, I'd bet $$$ to donuts that it's actually 3.3-9.9x (3x zoom). My 3-10x50 Kahles is the same way, and even 3.5-15x NXS from Nightforce is a only 4x zoom scope, labeled as 15X after rounding to the nearest whole #, LOL...

Just sayin', if you've got an itch, try a scope with a larger zoom ratio. It's like opting for the big motor in a new pickup, you might not need it all the time, but it sure makes ya smile when ya wanna mash the pedal...

For conversation

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted September 17, 2015 05:50 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Fred, I've never handled a 6x zoom. Am I wrong in presuming they are pretty big, bulky, heavy, by comparison to a 3x zoom? Those are properties that matter more to me, on a calling rig, than zoom range ever possibly could.

But, like I said, never even laid eyes on one, so maybe I'm making an incorrect assumption.

My variables rarely leave 5x, for calling. When they do, it's all the way up to 14x. Literally, never, anything in between. Cranking them up, outside of checking zero off the bench (a once every few years event), is quite rare though. I don't find 5x a handicap on 300 yard coyotes. It's only when they look pretty small at 5x, and I know they are more like 400, that I start to think about turning up the zoom. Whenever that happens, I also start thinking about just not bothering to shoot <grin>.

Honestly, I could, and for that matter, have at times, live with a fixed 6x on a calling rifle and be perfectly content.

I used a fixed 6x to jumps hoot jackrabbits for 25 years or more, getting on a close in fast moving coyote at 5x is still pretty easy, even at this point, where I've slowed down, my eyes have gone bad and my shooting skills are starting to suck... Even still, when I shoulder my .17P, the coyote running by at 10 yards is in the 5x scope every time.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted September 17, 2015 06:03 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
I might add... That 4-14x44 Conquest is the largest scope I have on a rifle that gets used for calling, and every time I use it, I find it kind of distasteful. 44mm is just too big, for a calling rifle, for my druthers.

I'd never put high rings on a day time calling rifle.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

trapper2
Member # 3651

Icon 1 posted September 17, 2015 07:11 AM      Profile for trapper2           Edit/Delete Post 
i only have one scoped rifle that i use, i use it for every thing and i have a 6.5x20 mark 4 on it, i like it, its heavy but so is the gun. i had a conquest on it before and turning turrets it would get off a click or two every few monthes so i wont be owning another one. plus leapold has a program where i can buy them alittle cheaper and that helps

--------------------
nothing is politically correct if its morally wrong

Posts: 248 | From: okla | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted September 17, 2015 07:48 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, when I first got my .17Predator from Greg, I put an Elite 6500 2.5-16x42 on there. It wasn't overly heavy or clunky, but did have a 30mm tube. The glass is better than VX3 (IMHO), and had finger resetable capped turrets. On low power, the field of view is excellent with just a touch of 'fisheye' appearance at the edges. At high power, it still remained fairly bright, but eye relief became more critical. Still, a kick azz scope for that price range. Pic with Talley lows, for reference...
 -

Eventually swapped a Premier 'Hunter' 3-15x50 onto that same rifle. The 50m objective juuust cleared in those same Talley Lows. Super awesome scope, albeit a bit 'clunky' for that rifle...
 -

Fast forward to finishing up 'fine tuning' that rifle after having it a while. Its now got a new stock to better balance it, plus a detachable mag that feeds like butta. And the scope is a Kahles 3-9x42 in 1" Talley lows...
 -

Just goes to show that sometimes ya gotta try a few different scopes to really figure out which scope compliments it best. Full circle back to a simplistic 3x zoom, with perfectly uncluttered 4A reticle. Super glass, lighter weight, and just 'fits' that rifle better. Good example of "scope whoring 101"!

[ September 17, 2015, 07:55 AM: Message edited by: knockemdown ]

tawnoper
Member # 497

Icon 1 posted September 17, 2015 10:20 AM      Profile for tawnoper   Email tawnoper         Edit/Delete Post 
I have variables on most of my main calling rifles. 3x10 vx3 Leupold on my Swift is probably my favorite variable. Also have a 3x9 Nikon on my 17...it's okay. Funny thing is I usually set them on 5x and rarely move them. Usually not necessary. Maybe it's because I hunted for a lot of years with my one rifle which wore a fixed 6x42 M8 Leupold with heavy duplex. Still one of my favorite calling scopes.
Posts: 53 | From: socal | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted September 17, 2015 10:56 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
All my scopes are usually set at 6x and I rarely move them. Like Dave, I used a couple fixed 6x scopes for calling for so long that I just feel comfortable with it..close up, running, whatever, doesnt bother me at all. I do admit though, as you get older, it gets tougher, but what dont.

Mark
edit: yep, the Leo M8 6X is what I ran a lot. The last one I had I slapped on my Ruger 77/22 .22mag and that thing has killed shat tons of fox and cats. I hardly ever use it anymore though.
Mark

[ September 17, 2015, 10:59 AM: Message edited by: Lone Howl ]

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted September 17, 2015 11:53 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
I have one of those M8 6X on my 10/22, used to have it on a couple of different .22-250's I used for calling a long time ago. Great, great scope, one of my all time favorites.

- DAA

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 17, 2015 12:56 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to have a Leupold straight 6X, but it was stolen. I really liked it! Probably felt worse losing it than the rifle, although it was a slick Rem. Model 660. When I bought it, I was torn between it and an even handier 2X7 Leupold variX. Never hear anything about them anymore, maybe they don't make them? Still, it would have some application, in my world.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted September 17, 2015 03:18 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know Fred, my math ain't that good but my vx6 1-6 seems to be a 6x ratio... [Wink] it is twice as big as my 1.5-5, has twice the FOV and cost over twice as much but I still am pretty comfortable with the 1.5-5.

I've got a cousin I've grown up with like brothers and he uses 6.5-20's on all his guns. He gets by just fine till it gets dark but to each their own.

If you want a good scope for cheap money, SWFA's super chickens are on sale right now and while they are huge and heavy, the glass is on par with vx2's but the dials are spot on and the mil quad reticle is awesome. I've got a 6x and a 10x, much prefer the 6x.

trapper2
Member # 3651

Icon 1 posted September 17, 2015 05:47 PM      Profile for trapper2           Edit/Delete Post 
I had a fixed 12 power for along time because it was the only scope I had so I used it, now the 6.5x20 gets set right around the 12 and stays there most of the time, guess its what we get use to using

--------------------
nothing is politically correct if its morally wrong

Posts: 248 | From: okla | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted September 17, 2015 07:00 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
I've used some version of a 2x7 Leupold for years. Have had a VX2 for a while now.

I get the itch for something different, sometimes but honestly have no need. If, I were to get another coyote rifle it might be a XV3 1.75x6 with heavy crosshairs. Or a 2.5x8 would be sweet.

These match a 22" barrel perfect IMO. A 26" barrel would look better with a longer scope of course.

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted September 18, 2015 04:24 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Sho' nuff, Tom. The "6" in VX6 denotes the zoom ratio, same as it does for Bushy's 6500 series. That's why I directed my opinion toward the "VX3 guys" [Wink] They'd be just as well served to try a VX6 for that same benefit of versatility. I'd still recommend a 6500 over a VX6 though, based on the ones I've seen/used...

Fixed power scopes are great, in that there's precious little to fail, internally. Far as having a preference for shooting at a particular power, I usually set my mag ring based on the stand. Default setting is always start @ min. power, for reasons koko stated. Works fine here at home where it kinda tight. But on those 'out west' stands where ya can see to the next zip code and there's no pockets of cover close by, I'll start the stand off on 7-8x, which is plenty of power to shoot a coyote at reasonable range.

Since I don't normally wear binos on stand out west, I'll use max. power on the scope for ID'ing/scrutinizing "coyote lookin' type stuff" that's too far to see with the naked eye. I don't feel that using the riflescope as a "spotter" requires any more movement than using binos, plus its less shit to carry on stand...

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 18, 2015 10:55 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I never pack binoculars on a stand. I carry them while deer hunting, but not coyotes and yes, if I need to look at something I use the scope on my rifle. For some reason the elite scribes have been telling us for years that it's just not done, and I say to that: fuk 'em! I will do as I please, thank you.

Seems to be a misconception as far as usage. I just pick it up and look at something. Period. I will not wave it around and scan with a rifle mounted on my shoulder, that's for the birds.

On the other hand, scouting with binoculars, out the window or getting out of the truck and investigating a draw or arroyo, that's totally worthwhile, but not on stand, UNLESS.

Unless you are doing a "walkabout" where you cover considerable ground on foot, perhaps with a light backpack, stuff like that. Then, by all means bring the binos, and use them.

Until you sit down on stand. Okay?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted September 18, 2015 11:17 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
Interestingly us Arizona hunters, AZ hunter, koko and myself all us low power scopes which is probably due to our calling styles and the areas we hunt. Yes, I do keep my scope on the lowest power.

Leonard: Leopold makes a 2-7 vx1 scope. My son has one on his 243. It works great.

As far as a 6x or 3x zoom scope. I don't see the need for a 6x on a calling rifle.
I believe in keeping things simple. I read somewhere that to get past the 3x limit, you have to move two lenses In perfect unison. Sounds like more stuff to go wrong

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1924 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted September 18, 2015 11:45 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
To add, I use 3.5x10 or 4x12's on my calling rifles.

How bout shotguns? I know some here run Speedbeads and stuff like that...whats out there thats cool nowdays?
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted September 18, 2015 12:51 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Its funny how different we all are sometimes when calling. I seriously cannot remember the last stand i didn't have a pair of binoculars around my neck. I use the hell out of mine. As far as shotguns go I probably pack my Benelli M2 to at least 75% of my stands, no speedbeads and such. Just normal front bead sight. With a good load of Hornady BB'S.

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted September 18, 2015 02:18 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
If I'm just making a stand I leave the bino's in the truck and use my range finder to peak at something. Sometimes I use the scope too. New area I definately take the bino's.

Shotgun is a Benelli M1, 21" barrel plain bead and BB's. I have switched to an improved modified choke instead of a super tight pattern.

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters