The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » Work Boots (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Work Boots
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 24, 2014 07:44 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Leonard is right, it's all I wear....but I always have two pair going, one for my "town boots", the other for work and hunting.
I knew that, too. [Smile]

Around here, there is a dearth of locations where you can walk in and actually eyeball socks, much less serviceable boots, for work or play. And, that's a problem. You know, if they don't carry it at Walmart...and when it comes to stuff I personally wear, Walmart /oops! yes, I have been known to wear some camo items, caps and tee shirts, but that's about it.

So, since Walmart has forced out all sporting goods stores along with everything else, it's mail order only so folks out in flyover country already know this, but I'm 25 years behind the times. It's a pain to buy stuff mail order, you want to buy at least two of everything and eat the return postage.

That brings me back to the only alternative, BassPro or Cabelas and I don't have a Cabelas within miles, Glendale, AZ or Las Vegas, NV. but there is a BassPro just down the street. In this urban area, I don't know where they come out of the woodwork, but they seem to do a healthy business? I say that because, if I were to consider a half square mile surrounding where I live, I am doubtful you would turn up another hunter of any sort? I should ask the mailman, sometime?

At the campout, I wore a new pair of boots that I bought over six months ago, intending to break them in before tromping around in the weeds, but didn't. Didn't have any problems except one of my pet peeves; the friggin' tongue kinda bunches up no matter how much effort I put into tucking the sides! I don't like wadded up tongue! I'm thinking I might have to cut it, but that begs more problems. Maybe some people aren't fussy about that, but I AM !

Anybody?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted October 24, 2014 08:20 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.backpacker.com/gear/footwear/hiking-boots/common-hiking-boot-lacing-techniques/
Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted October 24, 2014 01:32 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
If you like the Thorlos, like I do you, or want to try a pair, you can get a freebie for the price of shipping ($5.00) Normally they run at least $15 in the store.

I took a few minutes a couple months back and received a pair in a 2-3 days with no strings attached.

https://www.thorlo.com/free-sock-offer/page_home

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
KaBloomR
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4252

Icon 1 posted October 24, 2014 02:22 PM      Profile for KaBloomR           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the link, Lonny. Just ordered some hikers. Hell, I'll try a pair for $4.90

--------------------
"It always gets a helluva lot worse before it gets any better"

Posts: 302 | From: Utah | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 24, 2014 03:01 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I did it too. In eight weeks I will probably not remember ordering it, but where can you get a decent sock for $4.90 these days?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

trapper2
Member # 3651

Icon 1 posted October 24, 2014 03:03 PM      Profile for trapper2           Edit/Delete Post 
well I have trouble with my back and feet also, lower back is fused together and above that I have two steel rods running up to my neck. I was having fits with my back and feet till a old lady showed my wife how to rub the muscle knots out of my back, hurts like fire when she does it but sure helps later. still couldn't find any foot wear that I could wear day after day till I got a pair of Russell moccasins, now I have 4 pair and wear them every day, hunt, walk, go to church, standing on concrete in the knife shop. I also went to wearing their heavy wool blend sock and I think that helped more then most people would think. boots and socks are both holding up real good and I am real hard on boots

--------------------
nothing is politically correct if its morally wrong

Posts: 248 | From: okla | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 24, 2014 03:40 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I forgot about Russell, they make a good boot, but do their moccasins have a hard sole? Out here we need tough leather uppers and soles to combat cactus, not to mention Palo Verde and Mesquite trees which have thorns every bit as vicious as barrel cactus and cholla.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

trapper2
Member # 3651

Icon 1 posted October 24, 2014 04:28 PM      Profile for trapper2           Edit/Delete Post 
yea the ones I have all have hard soles, you can get the soft leather sole too, but I have the harder type. I have two pair that have canvas tops and two pair with leather tops, so far they are the toughest boot I have had

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 24, 2014 04:49 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that's another thing. I do not like a boot with ballistic nylon panels because cactus goes right through it.

To save weight, flying to South Dakota a couple years ago, I packed my military desert boots that have rough out tan suede uppers. Not only did that short hidden cactus go right through those boots but I had to put up with Huber calling them "Hush Puppies".

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

trapper2
Member # 3651

Icon 1 posted October 24, 2014 05:28 PM      Profile for trapper2           Edit/Delete Post 
yea two pair of mine wouldn't work in cactus, but the two pair with leather uppers are great in cactus, briers or anything else like that, those two pair are both triple vamp, which means they are three layers of leather, and the other thing is they are the only boots I have had that have stayed water proof

--------------------

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted October 24, 2014 08:40 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
BearPaws; Moccasin uppers & a soft rubber traction sole.
Screw the cacti...........take the pain.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Prune Picker
AR Forum Assistant Moderator-handgun GURU and dispenser of sage advice
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted October 25, 2014 11:39 AM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
FYI, Midway has Danner Proghorns on sale for less than 100.00$ per pair. Nothing lager than 11 1/2 tho. Last pair I bought were close to 200.00$ by the time they arrived.

--------------------
mike

Posts: 1265 | From: "Oklahomie" | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted October 26, 2014 05:51 AM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
I just bought a pair of Pronghorns from Cabelas. They were marked $179. When I told the salesman they were marked down to $139 on their website, he said he would mark them down to $99 for me. Worked out real well for me because I had $93 in Cabelas club points.

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 26, 2014 07:19 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, you drive a hard bargain. I guess that was in a store, right?

You know, the last time I was in Cabelasa, I ran into Tim Behle, who was just about as far from where he lived as I was?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted October 26, 2014 05:52 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, that was in store and he only had two pairs of those boots, luckily one pair was the size I wanted.

Decided not to buy a lottery ticket that day because I used up my luck at the store.

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 26, 2014 08:17 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Danner Pronghorns for that price seem like a very good deal but I wear 13's.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 31, 2014 10:11 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
UPDATE: Got my socks yesterday. I was surprised!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

*October 24, 2014 03:01 PM
I did it too. In eight weeks I will probably not remember ordering it, but where can you get a decent sock for $4.90 these days?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------

And, by the way, speaking about spendy socks. I got a catalogue a couple days ago and noticed a pair of bison socks for $59. There was another choice for only $49 but I don't remember what made them special? Orvis cat.

[ October 31, 2014, 10:17 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted December 16, 2014 05:04 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Thought, I'd give an update. Wound up buying a set of SOFSOLE-FIT insoles @ Sportsmans Warehouse about a month ago. Cost $40 bucks.

Probably should look for Superfeet as suggested. Anyway in my mind these things are great !!

Slipped those into the ol' Justins..Back and feet are feeling better. Hopefully that continues.

Will definitely pay more attention to factory insoles when buying boots in the future, and or will be stepping up for decent insoles to add to whatever I'm wearing.

Thanks for the ideas guys..

[ December 16, 2014, 05:05 PM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted December 23, 2014 03:50 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Guess I'm a little late on this topic too.
I've got a bad back, knees and feet.
If working on a solid surface(cement) you NEED quality boots for the support of your skeleton frame.
Wore Whites for years and they work for standing and such. Got away from them, to heavy for the most part.
Got into Kennetrek boots.
They will give the support you are looking for Dave A. Spendy yes but the relief you will feel is worth it. I guess you get what you pay for.
Won't/can't wear Danners and other like boots.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted December 23, 2014 03:00 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks are you thinking something like this ?
http://www.kenetrek.com/Kenetrek-Mountain-Boots/products/12/

[ December 23, 2014, 03:01 PM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted December 23, 2014 05:20 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a pair of 8" Extremes and a pair of Desert Guides I wear in the summer.
Going for a pair of Safari's next spring.
Sportsmans Warehouse carries them if you want to try some on at Merdian or Nampa.

[ December 23, 2014, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: earthwalker ]

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted December 23, 2014 05:35 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, thanks !!

I actually work right down the road from Sportsman's in Nampa. Anyway when I bought the insoles. I was in Bend Oregon, didn't even think to look @ boots then ?

I'll check em' out sometime soon.

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters