The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » New E-caller on the market (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: New E-caller on the market
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted August 13, 2016 02:29 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I can sorta see where the 360* rotation would be an issue with `him`.
When Gerald Stewart holds the speaker up and points it in different directions, no big whoop.
As I remember, though, when `him` advocated doing the same thing he got hammered on it pretty hard.
Now, 360* rotation is a selling point ??
Yeah, I could understand being a wee bit miffed on that one.

[Eek!]

El Bee;
I've been told that if a Warden wants to be a dick, he can cite you for littering if you have a coyote in your possession and no (fresh) empty brass.

[ August 13, 2016, 02:32 PM: Message edited by: Kokopelli ]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 13, 2016 04:19 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

El Bee;
I've been told that if a Warden wants to be a dick, he can cite you for littering if you have a coyote in your possession and no (fresh) empty brass.

Oh well, They'll never take me alive!

I had a sheriff actually sniff the barrel on the only gun he saw in my vehicle; my Combat Commander. Of course, he never even noticed all the firearms laying around in the back of the camper, all loaded. He was looking for somebody that discharged a gun possibly sorta within the city limits of Gila Bend. I sure hope he finds him. That's against the law! (just kidding) 'Course, there weren't any witnesses, either.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted August 13, 2016 04:23 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Before I explain the 360* feature to PooPoo, I feel the "urge" to thank him publicly. Since my knee surgery, I've been on and off Norco which has, as it is wont to do, caused my plumbing to bind up a bit. Turns out that every time I read any reference to PooPoo, I feel this sudden urge to shit. Feeling much better now.

As to the rotation feature of the new call, although the caller can turn 360 full degrees, it also has a setting for it to turn 180-degrees, like a lawn sprinkler. Unlike PooPoo, Rick is a thinker, and Rick foresaw the value of being able to use a "scan" feature with this caller to make it move left to right, back and forth.

I see one of the primary benefits of this feature being in those instances when I don't call the coyote's approach perfectly and the damned thing pops out to the left or right of where the caller is pointed. With the scan feature, you can turn the caller from 300 feet away to face directly toward where your target is at. Might be handy on a windy day. Those of us in tornado country fully understand and appreciate the increase in volume of a large speaker pointing straight at you versus to one side or away. Tornado sirens typically rotate 360* and while they're very tolerable pointing to your left or right, pointing straight at you within 6 city blocks is enough to ring your ears and, closer, to flutter your eyelids.

I guess if PooPoo'd designed this caller, he'd have just made the thing start spinning like a top with no ability to control that movement at all. Maybe he'd like one mounted on a hard hat rather than the OEM tripod?

Non-thinker. Whoodathunk?

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 13, 2016 05:20 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a pretty good explanation. It probably has value? 180 sounds like a workable feature.

Hey, I do Norco! It's called for my "breakout" pain. Normally, I just do morphine sulfate. Both are controlled substances.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 13, 2016 07:58 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You people aren't going to believe this but poo poo likes koko! What do they call that? Bro-something?

Except, he thinks he is wasting his time with the sticks and string stuff. Oh and he's got pups for sale, too.

And, he thinks Lance may be a junky? Then, what am I? I bet he doesn't even take the good Norco 10/325?

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: talk about pain meds. I know a guy, ran into him at the pharmacy, but known him since HS. He told me he takes 6 Norco every day. And, I failed to ask him: for what?

[ August 13, 2016, 08:04 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted August 13, 2016 08:28 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to this thread, I need a Norco.
Mark
PS..going night night..braving the heat tomorrow for some calling. Hope I live thru it.

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted August 14, 2016 11:16 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine were just the pussy 7.5's. And no, I'm not a junky. Only used about ten of the 60 the doc gave me. Just toughed it out otherwise. Keep the rest around for little scrapes and shit, like if I traumatically amputate a limb or something.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted August 14, 2016 12:23 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
[Cool]

The sticks and string thing isn't what I do.
It's what I am.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted August 14, 2016 05:16 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
I will be deer hunting with my recurve next weekend. Cant wait.

Went calling today, got up at 4am and hit the road at 4:30. Made my first stand around 6. Made a lot of quick stands checking out some new ground. Killed 3 yoy and a big male in pretty short order. So dang hot I was questioning my sanity for being there but had a good run. Killed 2 more around 1 or so and called it a day.
Good lord it was hot.
Mark

EDIT: 107 degrees...not hot by some standards but hot enough.

[ August 15, 2016, 07:07 AM: Message edited by: Lone Howl ]

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted August 14, 2016 09:11 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
LoneDude;
What kind of 'curve are you shooting ??

--------------------

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted August 15, 2016 05:29 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
TR, you mentioned a "learning curve" for sounds & wanted to touch upon that for a sec...

Current coyote vocalizations available from the few different call companies, it seems they've been labeled/named in a way so as to help in figuring out when, where & why to use them. IE, a "lone" howl, a "yip" howl, "pair" howls, "challenge" howl, etc...

With regard to these 'new' vocals, will there be any information included to explain the best/intended use of them? Or, are the names pretty much self-explanatory?

Just trying to wrap my head around what these new sounds could possibly be? Are they new takes on the generally accepted coyote vocabulary? Or, are they completely new and-as yet-unclassified sounds that don't fit in with what's already been established?

Not asking you to spill any beans, just being curious!

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 15, 2016 05:53 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Fair question(s) Fred. But, in some regard, it's the same old story, what one guy calls a "lone howl" another will say a similar sound is a "female invitation".

I don't think it matters much anyway. You might be trying to apply logic to your response. He might come romping in because your response was so illogical, it pissed him off.

The same principle that Bill Martz uses. He wants some ambiance sounds mixed in, like a scolding bluejay instead of a direct reply. If you punch up random responses, who knows? It might make enough sense to a female responding to an alpha male challenge.

Thankfully, this shit does not approach the level of rocket science. In fact, I sometimes think an off the wall sound is just as effective as one that is well thought out. I have some African sounds, for instance, prey sounds, that no coyote has ever heard, but they come in and check it out.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted August 15, 2016 07:05 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Koko, Im shooting my ol Bob Lee Natural 64"/55@30". Shooting Goldtips with 2 blade Stinger broadheads.

Mark

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted August 15, 2016 07:26 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Cool !!
Bob Lee's bows (in my opinion) never got the full recognition that they were worthy of.

I'm using a Damon Howat Super Diablo 60" / 60 # @ 28.
2213s w/ Zwickey 2 blade Eskimos.

Heading up on the Rim in a couple of days to be closer to the sky. Deer & turkey and calling bear.
Trout in the river and Artic Grayling in the lake.
And mudbugs..........I'm taking a crawfish trap, too.

--------------------

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted August 15, 2016 07:30 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, the premise behind my questions were to (hopefully) shorten the learning curve & help minimize exposing a coyote to sound(s) that may not be appropriate for the given scenario we're trying to dupe them into reacting to.

I hear ya on the ambiguity regarding the terminology used to label certain howls. But, its all we got. Pretty much anyone with a clue can discern a plaintiff 'friendly' type howl, as compared to an aggressive or threatening one. After all, they're canines, and not many of us have much difficulty in determining the nature of barking dogs. Its easy to figure out what a dog is vocalizing about, but we're not afforded that luxury with a wild coyote...

That said, if a specific recorded coyote vocal was from a "female" and an "adolescent" at that, as a caller, I like to know that info. Whether it really matters on stand, can't know fo' sho'. Just sayin' that, having broader knowledge base of the specific animal & context each vocal was recorded in would likely be quite beneficial to its application, on stand...

[ August 15, 2016, 07:34 AM: Message edited by: knockemdown ]

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted August 15, 2016 07:31 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds like a good time! Good luck.
Mark

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted August 15, 2016 07:47 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, there's alot of truth to what you said in that last post. There is a Coyote Vocals on my Foxpro that to my ear sounds like shit. But by hell I've called alot of coyotes with this sound. Where sometimes when I try to get really technical and think I'm communicating with them I get nada.lol

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 15, 2016 09:25 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Chad. Sometimes, I think we are being too smart for our own good. Like they say in Texas, a squeaky brake drum will not only call in a coyote, he might chase your truck all the way to the next stand.

Well, I once had something funny happen, down on the res. Okay, it was a German Shepard, not a coyote, but it could have happened, you know? Two stands that fucker showed up and busted my stand, all friendly like.

Look. I have called in coyotes just by arguing with my partner. Several times, in fact. They are just curious and seem to realize that the focus isn't on them.

Byron South, part of the reason he has some weird ideas is because while building ranch gates, the neighboring coyotes would just lounge around and watch humans at work. Sometimes it all changes when you turn around and look at them and talk about them. They aren't stupid, they know when you are looking at them.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: this could generate another thread. I am thinking of the folks that sneak into a stand, stay off the skyline and think the coyotes are posting lookouts and bust you before you even get half way to your stand. Yeah, well maybe? But sometimes going about your business will cause no reaction in bedded down coyotes. That's why we wait a few minutes before starting our stand. They don't always think they are the subject of your activity....thank God!

[ August 15, 2016, 09:32 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted August 15, 2016 01:35 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
El Bee;
Your last paragraph pertains to more than just coyotes.
One of my favorite ways to hunt game animals with the stick is to get on a gated two-track, power-line or pipe-line cut, get right with the wind and just casually stroll along. If there's any cover a goodly number of animals will either remain in their beds or just stand there to watch you walk on by. No herky jerky movements or eye contact and the odds of getting a shot are pretty good.
Obviously it works better on forky's than the big bucks but there once was a 4 X spike that was something of a legend on Catalina Isl. until I shot it in it's bed while strolling along.

--------------------

Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted August 17, 2016 11:57 AM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice to know I've dropped off dipshit's radar. [Razz]

I thought the 360 thing, in this case, was (mainly) for the camera? ...which I don't need (on an e-caller), either.

A few crumbs of validity doesn't validate "his" theories in entirety. [Wink]

*I never said he's 100% wrong.

*I feel even more lucky, now, that I can make a wide variety of sounds with a wide variety of hand calls.

Mark,

It was 107 here, that day, too... I bet nobody that knows would trade a 107 degree day there for one here.

It's killing me. [Roll Eyes]

Krusty

[ August 17, 2016, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: Krustyklimber ]

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 17, 2016 01:07 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I like to shake things up by referencing our buddy in Minneesota. And, it DOES shake things up. lol Or, as we say, stimulates discussion....gotta admit it.

You know, I never had an actual "valid reason" to ban him. Being a jerk is not a valid reason, and not listed on the registration page. But it was more or less a demand for a public lynching.

Therefore, when he chimes in, on occasion, (depending) on my mood, I'm going to throw it out there and see what kind of uproar ensues. Never fails.

Hey, it amuses me!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted August 17, 2016 06:11 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Crickets.

--------------------

Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted August 19, 2016 07:36 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
I know that many of you do not frequent other sites for predator hunting discussion, and I don't as much as I did at one time. But, he has definitely made a name for himself, and not in a good way. he is considered to be the biggest dumbshit to erupt on the calling scene in years, and that is the consensus web-wide. You can approach just about anyone, anywhere, where all things calling are being debated or discussed and people will start either shaking their heads or laughing at mere mention of his name. He has made an adjective of himself. I actually have seen someone do something stupid as shit when calling and heard or seen someone else with them just speak his name in reference to the guy that fucked up, using his very name as a major insult. If I recall, there were a number of people who threatened to leave your board if you continued to allow him to post, myself included. His name on the roles has compelled me to delete more than one site from my favorites menu. You can reeducate ignorance, you can reteach dumb, but you can't fix stupid.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 19, 2016 09:33 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know where I got this touch of fairness and tolerance for Internet behavior? I think we are being childish when monkey piling on somebody and I have always defended the victim. Yeah sure, opine on what somebody does or says, but really?

I just read something this morning about some president of a gun company complaining that he was deleted from Facebook because as a policy, Facebook is blind to the fact that they discriminate against anything related to guns. Then it got him in trouble on Instagram, I believe?

Then there is all the banning and censorship on Twitter. It goes on and on. I don't like it and I have never had an account on Facebook or twitter just because of their policies towards gun owners. They are friggin' bullies and I equate it the same way as described by Lance as justification for picking on "he who shall not be named."

I said; (bewildered) " He hasn't pissed me off, I have no basis for banning him?" But, I banned him to quell the lynch mob. But I post a few of his email statements now and then. Why he should anger so many people, I do, and I don't understand?

He's gone, what's the sense in Lynching his corpse, to teach it a lesson? He can't hurt you, Lance. You would quit a site you have been involved with for 14 years because of that asshole? Somebody besides him looks a little bit small. (just kidding, just kidding) I know he enflamed a lot of people but so does Hillary. Ya know? Blow it off!

Good hunting. El Bee

PS and, he's not my friggin' buddy! Not by a long shot. Actually, he did me a small favor, once. And, for that, I will treat him fairly

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted August 19, 2016 03:09 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't leave any particular site out of any sort of malice. I enjoy the logical flow of dialogue and his interjections and interruptions to that flow just pet me wrong. There are a few people in this world that I just don't care for. He's become one of them. I'm sure there are those that like him and his contributions to the internet. More power to them. I just happen to not be one of that crowd.

Like a lot of folks, the internet has evolved for me in the past, say, five years. Prior to then, I had a list of sites I checked each day, making the circuit thru each of them to see what the guys I knew were posting. Just prior to the time you showed him the door, I couldn't go to a single calling-related site anywhere without having to muddle through thread after thread that had gone off the rails because those who started it or those who were keeping it alive were up in arms about his asinine remarks and misguided ideas. I just quit showing up at most places for long periods of time because I found better things to do than deal with that. I know a lot of other folks who did the same.

Today, I check Facebook to see who's saying what. I check my actual email about once every three weeks if I'm not actually waiting on something being sent that way, and 99% of my interactions with callers around the country are handled through texting. Part of that is due to the normal evolution of technology, and part of that is due to the fact that I go to various sites to relax and interact with friends, not be frustrated by conflict and confrontation over every little thing. I can easily find all I need of that right here in the real world.

Maybe it's just me...

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters