The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » New shotgun thread... (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: New shotgun thread...
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted May 03, 2016 05:54 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
My SBE got the shit soaked out of it this weekend, no worries!
 -

Best part about that thing is how easy it is to break down & clean. Took all of 5 minutes to strip, dry, lube everything & re-assemble...

I useta run Eezox lube in my SBE for winter waterfowling in the salt marsh. Temps in the teens, mini-icebergs floating by, decoys freezin' up & tippin' over...but the SBE always fired! Even dropped it overboard, twice, and rinsed it with saltwater before using it. That inertia system is the schizz...

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted May 03, 2016 11:23 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Poor little fella..
Awsome Fred!!
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted May 04, 2016 03:34 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Sold my old wooden oversized Rem.1187 wish I hadn't done that it worked every time. now I use my wife's little Benelli Super Nova , Tru lock choke no complaints.
It kills em dead.

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Moe
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted May 04, 2016 05:36 AM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually the trick to keeping a gas operated semi auto working in cold damp weather is to make sure there's no oil in the gas chamber.

I started shotgunning with a double barrel. Then I bought a pump gun and just couldn't get the hang of pumping the action after each shot so I bought a Remington 1100. At first I went through hell with the gun because after the first shot it wouldn't fully cycle. I learned that you have to clean the gun every night and then make sure you don't use oil. I had been wiping the inside of the gas chamber with a light oil.

I guided waterfowl hunters at Tule Lake for a few years before I got a full time job with Contel. Some of the other guides made jokes about my 1100 but as long as I kept it clean it worked good.

The 3 rounds only rule was implemented to keep you from shooting at birds that were out of range after the first 3 shots. Check the regs because the plug is generally a federal reg and only applied to hunting waterfowl. California over regulates everything as do some other states.

For hunting coyotes here in Oregon you can remove the plug although I don't.

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted May 04, 2016 05:50 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
I picked up a used Mossberg 935. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
92soggy
Member # 4362

Icon 1 posted May 05, 2016 09:10 AM      Profile for 92soggy   Email 92soggy         Edit/Delete Post 
I picked up a used SBE 2 last summer and I really appreciated it for hunting in the thick sage. Only problem is the barrel is way too long. Put a speed bead on it but didn't really see that it helped much. I think I just left it turned off after the first couple of stands.
That shot gunning coyotes in the thick sage is lots of fun but pretty stressful. They are on you so fast and it seems like you only have a couple of seconds before you better be shooting.

Posts: 39 | From: Washington | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2016 11:53 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry I'm late but there is no better shotgun than my M1 Super 90 with 21" barrel. Of course the M2 would've been better without the pistol grip stock.
 -

I've had a few SBE's and much prefer the M1.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2016 03:36 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Where does the Vinci fall in the lineup? Or does it? Complete shotgun ignorance here. Just have handled one once, saw another up close today, seem like kinda funny looking shotguns...

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2016 05:05 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
^ what he said, at least the part about not knowing anything about shotguns.

Tom, which one is which, and why do you have both?

I like the one with the sights. Could care less about the pistol grip, but haven't used one, they might be great, for all I know?

Good hunting, El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2016 04:27 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
The one with the pistol grip and sights is the M2 and it's been traded off a few years ago.

I wanted to see if sights on a shotgun equalled teets on a boar and they did. If you have to aim it, you're not getting any benefit out of a shotgun. The pistol grip stock is great sitting on sticks but doesn't help in pointing the shotgun.

That's why my M1 is king. I bought it to shoot quail and wound up killing a million quail, pheasant, Turkey, dove, coyote, clay targets, rabbits, squirrel, snakes and anything else that has needed killing. It's the only shotgun I have left and does everything well cause it fits.

That's the most important part of any shotgun, it has to fit you or you'll never shoot it well.

TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2016 04:30 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh and the Vinci is too fancy for me, I just never cared for it so I never even shouldered one.I do have a buddy that likes his though.
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2016 05:22 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the comment Tom. The Vinci felt awfully plastic and kinda cheap to me, so I was really surprised to hear how much it cost.

I really AM NOT a shotgun guy though, so, what do I know.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2016 06:21 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't crazy about the Vinci, either.

Wouldn't mind one of these, though:
 -

Benelli Ultralight in 28ga. For bunnies, grouse, squirrels & whatnot...

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2016 06:45 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
A beauty.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2016 07:14 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I googled that Vinci. Looks like a piece of shit, if you ask me? I mean, I guess you don't pick a shotgun based on looks, (well, maybe) but that thing is too weird looking for me.

Good hunting. El Bee

[ May 11, 2016, 07:15 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2016 08:52 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Same here...the Ethos looks really good to me though.
Mark

--------------------

Moe
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted May 14, 2016 06:33 PM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
There are some really great shotguns out there. I can't speak for Bennelli for the reasons I've already stated but Beretta, Browning and Winchester make some fine guns. There are others, too. When I shot trap competitively I shot a Perazzi MX8 Combination. I won a little over $16,000 at a Mint Gun Club Mid Winter Chain shoot one year. Now, that is fun.

Hunting birds with a shotgun is the most fun you can have standing up fully dressed. And you can eat what you shoot. I'd bet you guys that say you know nothing about shotguns already know where to go to find birds.

This is my opinion so take it for what it's worth to you. I'd never buy a shotgun with a pistol grip unless it's a Mossberg Cruiser which is a cut short gun made for self defense. In a regular shotgun a pistol grip limits what you can hunt effectively. You should be able to hunt quail, pheasants, Huns, chuckar, coyotes and deer all with the same shotgun.

As far as barrel length goes for a 12 gauge I like a 28" barrel. Not many people know this but with modern powders the powder is burned within the first 14 inches of barrel but barrel length gives you a good sighting plane. a 28" barrel is a trade off for shooting rising targets and crossing targets. If you shoot nothing but rising targets, pheasants, etc, a longer barrel gives you an edge. If you shoot more crossing targets a shorter barrel gives you a faster swing. A field gun is meant for the guy that shoots everything.

If I was in the market for a new shotgun I'd be talking a hard look at a Beretta. But that's just me.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 15, 2016 08:42 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a shotgunner, that's for sure. But seems those guys, well, I can't tell one autoloader from another. I only own two, a 11-87 and my 835, which I prefer. For just about everything. I couldn't get arrested as a shotgunner!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Moe
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted May 15, 2016 12:01 PM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
When I wore out my 1100 I bought an 11-87 but my main interest was waterfowl hunting and Washington state has some pretty rough conditions for an autoloader. That 11-87 was the main reason I bought the Bennelli SBE. Plus the Bennelli was a 3 1/2" gun. I believe it was the first 3 1/2" gun. South of Wenatchee there is some world class goose hunting that mainly offers big Canada geese. The first steel shotshells were made using technology that worked with lead shotshells only a lot still had to be learned about steel shells. Guys were mainly using 10 gauge guns for big geese until the 3 1/2" gun came along. Since those days it's been learned that speed is the ticket with steel. Back in the days of lead too much speed damaged the lead shot destroying patterns. Steel shot doesn't deform and speed really does kill.

BTW...for most upland bird and coyote hunting that 11-87 is a great gun. Also, Remington and others have made improvements to their shotguns that have improved the performance of their autoloaders for use in cold, damp weather. Neither my Browning Gold nor my Winchester SuperX@ have ever malfunctioned in it or in any other conditions.

I always carry a shotgun on a calling trip. You just never know when it will give you a big edge in some calling conditions. In eastern Oregon during the deer and elk drawing hunts rifles are illegal to use in most GMU's so a shotgun is imperative. This law covers most of the deer seasons between October and late December. During this time I generally drive to northern Nevada but sometimes I just leave the rifle in the truck and hunt anyway.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 15, 2016 12:19 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I always have a shotgun when coyote hunting, myself.

Nevada? How's the hunting up there?

I always thought that Mossberg had the first 3 1/2" chambered gun. I bought mine as soon as I heard about it, the serial # is in the 4,000 range. Shells have always been spendy.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Moe
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted May 15, 2016 12:38 PM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
Mossberg may well have had the first 3 1/2" gun. The first one I ever heard of was the SBE, tho.

Northern Nevada is like anywhere else these days. Sometimes it's hot and sometimes it isn't. My best calling days have been in southern Nevada, California and Arizona. Mostly Arizona in recent years.

Calling in Arizona is the most interesting because of what may come in. A few years ago I stumbled into a herd of Javelina on my way into a stand. Most of them scattered but one of them just stood a few feet away from me with its hackles raised daring me to take another step. The standoff lasted maybe 5 minutes. There were a couple more about 20 feet away. I had my 222 mag pointed at the one closest to me just in case.

That same day I bumped into a huge covey of quail and got a limit. I was staying with one of my daughters and that evening my other daughter and her husband came over. I put the quail on the BBQ and we had them for dinner. I also killed 8 coyotes and a gray fox that day. Great fun.

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted May 15, 2016 02:44 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Calling in Northern Nevada is terrible, wouldn't waste my time.

Like Moe said I would really like to find a nice Beretta for some of my upland bird hunting. Either and older AL2,302,or a 390.

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 15, 2016 03:10 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that's what I thought, Chad. Lots of better locations, huh?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters