The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Took Jim's CS-24 out Saturday (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Took Jim's CS-24 out Saturday
Fur_n_Dirt
So. Ariz. Zone Tech. Expert
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2015 03:12 PM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm starting to believe the secret is to tell a "story" with a combination of sounds that gets them going..

However, I do have favorites.. the favorites turn out to be the ones that have good cadence, pitch, and energy..

[ January 02, 2015, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: Fur_n_Dirt ]

--------------------
--- It's all simple if you know what you are doing ---

Posts: 437 | From: Tucson | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2015 05:50 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
For coyotes...Combo calling, creating scenerios...I've been saying that forever, but people laugh at it? Oh well, works for me.

For cats...I do like off the wall distress aounds.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Fur_n_Dirt
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2015 06:33 PM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
LB, I've been trying to get one more cat this season and it's been tough...

I've read through previous posts on this site and there's a lot of great tips ...

However, I'm curious to the volume strategy when using continuous calling.. Some say low to high ; some say loud from start to finish..

My experience is loud is Ok; but is that limiting my success?

Does loud make "some" cats sit outside of shotgun range?

[ January 03, 2015, 06:43 PM: Message edited by: Fur_n_Dirt ]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2015 07:18 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Answer; very possibly?

Depending on cover, I think intuitively, you would call with very reduced volume in heavy cover because, you are likely calling in a cat's bedroom?

With coyotes, open country, you can start loud, or you can begin loud after eight/ten minutes; whatever?

In rocky mountains in Arizona, (again, talking cats) I don't find moderately loud volume to be detrimental? Basically, you are calling them "down" to you because they will be up where they can watch events down hill. In situations like that, I have not seen cats sensitive to volume. Unless they hang up for some reason, and then maybe severely reduce the volume, or my solution is usually to go with a rodent/rat sound. If anything will get them moving, that's it.

But, you are posing a lot of questions. Loud might make some cats sit out of shotgun range; some - who knows?

I am a believer in continuous, for most situations but intermittent is also a good method. However, it can cause some cats to lose interest, so?

Your question on continuous; "low to high" is not a good solution past the two minute mark and then if it's heavy cover you might not even know what's going on, to make a decision?
It's a good strategy for night hunting, but until you spot a cat just standing and observing, there is not much to go by? And, if you are on foot, moving from stand to stand, low volume is probably your friend; shotgun conditions where you are wearing socks over your boots.

More cats this season? Go where they are. I dunno? Some people can't recognize "catty" if it slaps them in the face? One thing, if you call a cat but can't get a shot, you can definitely go back and give him the same shit, and he will not have figured it out; unlike most coyotes. But, also unlike most coyotes, he will still be in the same confined area; that mountain-that canyon-that butte-those trees, etc. In other words, they have a territory and it's not very big, especially females.

Good luck, El Bee

PS decoys are worth while

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31467 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Fur_n_Dirt
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2015 06:05 PM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks LB..

After some time in the saddle, I am finding that I do things opposite for cats as I do with yotes... Without getting into detailed discussion, I get better call ratios for coyotes with staggered loud sequences without decoys and for cats, continuous with decoys..

Several times I have found a gato completely memorized at a mojo five yards away from the Foxpro blasting at 36! lol

However, time to change it up a little bit. I find high cat populations next to farms in specific thick cover.

Yes, I am calling a cat's back door.. I think I'll chill on the volume and also experiment with ladders for better visibility. I need a way to see these cats from longer distances. I haven't ignored those sound suggestions either...

--------------------

Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2015 06:52 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Cats and volume...Ive seen cats charge the speaker blasting at full volume and not even flinch, sit and look inside the speaker, and Ive seen them seemingly turned off by loud calling, same sound. Individuality? Bold cats vs fraidy cats? Pressure?

Personally, I call them mainly in moderate to heavy cover, and leave the volume low, then maybe...crank it up a bit after a short while,but not real loud. I dont know why really, I just sort of do what feels right at the moment, in the terrain Im hunting. Seems to work for me? I sort of go by my gut, I try not to over think it.

"Low volume" and "high volume" may mean different things from one guy to the next.

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters